Mailing List Archive

H.264 Problem not present in H.265
I have 4 frontends running the most up to date trunk release. 3 are are
on Ubuntu 20.04 (I build it), and the 4th is Peter Bennett's Android
build v32 build running on a Chromebook.

On two of the frontends H.264 and H.265 media both work perfectly. On
the other two H.265 works perfectly, but H.264 doesn't. This is a
problem since my backend is via Comcast/HDHomerun which is all H.264.

The H.264 working frontends are

NUC (backend/frontend) Celeron(R) J4005 @2.00GHz i915 graphics driver

HP Z230 workstation (frontend) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz Nvidia Quadro K620

The two where H.265 is fine, but H.264 is not are

MacBookPro4,1 (frontend) (running Ubuntu 20.04) Intel Core 2 T9300  @
2.50GHz Nvidia Geforce 8600M

Dell Inspiron Chromebook 11 1.6GHz Intel Celeron N3060 Intel HD400 Graphics

  these two either never get past a blank screen, or do a frame every
few seconds, or run out of video buffers.

Changing the Profiles doesn't change anything.

The Macbook until several months ago had no issue, but I wasn't keeping
track of the media format then, and since I've built newer versions of
myth as well. It could be Comcast change or a software change, or even
the Nvidia driver.

The Chromebook never was able to do H.264

On the 3 Linux machines H.264 works fine with mplayer,  on the
Chromebook it works well enough with various apps.

Any help on why H.264 is a problem and H.265 is not.

Re: H.264 Problem not present in H.265 [ In reply to ]
On 10/8/21 3:24 PM, Ken Mandelberg wrote:
> I have 4 frontends running the most up to date trunk release. 3 are
> are on Ubuntu 20.04 (I build it), and the 4th is Peter Bennett's
> Android build v32 build running on a Chromebook.
>
> On two of the frontends H.264 and H.265 media both work perfectly. On
> the other two H.265 works perfectly, but H.264 doesn't. This is a
> problem since my backend is via Comcast/HDHomerun which is all H.264.
>
> The H.264 working frontends are
>
> NUC (backend/frontend) Celeron(R) J4005 @2.00GHz i915 graphics driver
>
> HP Z230 workstation (frontend) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz Nvidia Quadro K620
>
> The two where H.265 is fine, but H.264 is not are
>
> MacBookPro4,1 (frontend) (running Ubuntu 20.04) Intel Core 2 T9300  @
> 2.50GHz Nvidia Geforce 8600M
>
> Dell Inspiron Chromebook 11 1.6GHz Intel Celeron N3060 Intel HD400
> Graphics
>
>   these two either never get past a blank screen, or do a frame every
> few seconds, or run out of video buffers.
>
> Changing the Profiles doesn't change anything.
>
> The Macbook until several months ago had no issue, but I wasn't
> keeping track of the media format then, and since I've built newer
> versions of myth as well. It could be Comcast change or a software
> change, or even the Nvidia driver.
>
> The Chromebook never was able to do H.264
>
> On the 3 Linux machines H.264 works fine with mplayer,  on the
> Chromebook it works well enough with various apps.
>
> Any help on why H.264 is a problem and H.265 is not.

Did you try different playback profiles, or settings in the playback
profile?

While playing, select playback data, which displays a box on screen
showing what method of playback is used, ffmpeg or some type of
acceleration. This could show if hardware acceleration is being used for
h265 but not for h264.

Peter

Re: [H.264 Problem not present in H.265 [ In reply to ]
Peter Bennett wrote on 10/8/21 3:47 PM:

> On 10/8/21 3:24 PM, Ken Mandelberg wrote:
>>
>> The two where H.265 is fine, but H.264 is not are
>>
>> MacBookPro4,1 (frontend) (running Ubuntu 20.04) Intel Core 2 T9300  @
>> 2.50GHz Nvidia Geforce 8600M
This one I solved. The symptom on this was about a frame a second. It
turned out acceleration wasn't limited to decode, when I changed it to
decode only the performance went back to what it used to be. I don't
know what changed the setting.

>> Dell Inspiron Chromebook 11 1.6GHz Intel Celeron N3060 Intel HD400
>> Graphics

On this one for H.264 the symptom was it never even displays any video,
and generally runs out of video buffers eventually. This doesn't happen
with H.265. It appears to be the acceleration again, but with this one I
have to turn it off completely and go to "standard" for H.264 to run.
Running only with software its too jumpy to be useful.

With H.265 it runs better but with trouble spots. Its not clear to me if
its actually using the acceleration. The playback data doesn't really
tell you, it only tells you the protocol and the decoder (ffmpeg) and
not if ffmpeg is actually using the acceleration.

This is with Peter's android port running on the chromebook.