Mailing List Archive

Mythtv-frontend app for FireTV 4K stick
I've been running the Mythfrontend and Leanfront apps on my Nvidia
Shield for years.  However due to switching my main streaming app from
SlingTV to DirecTV Stream so I could get the RSN channels which carry my
local NHL team games, I've been forced to use one of my FireTV 4K sticks
instead of the Nvidia Shield.

This is not a problem except for the performance of the Mythfrontend app
on the FireTV 4K.  In the past I've only tested it on recorded programs
that were HD either 1080i or 720p.  While these are okay on the FireTV
4K, it is no where close to Leanfront, which is good on the FireTV 4K.

My testing has brought me to Live TV with the mythfrontend app on the
FireTV 4K.  There seems to be a huge lag in the lip-sync; several
seconds. I don't see this with recorded programs.

Has anyone established the best settings for Mythfrontend v31 for the
FireTV 4K stick?

Jim A

Re: Mythtv-frontend app for FireTV 4K stick [ In reply to ]
On 30/09/2021 18:40, Jim Abernathy wrote:
> I've been running the Mythfrontend and Leanfront apps on my Nvidia
> Shield for years.  However due to switching my main streaming app from
> SlingTV to DirecTV Stream so I could get the RSN channels which carry my
> local NHL team games, I've been forced to use one of my FireTV 4K sticks
> instead of the Nvidia Shield.
>
> This is not a problem except for the performance of the Mythfrontend app
> on the FireTV 4K.  In the past I've only tested it on recorded programs
> that were HD either 1080i or 720p.  While these are okay on the FireTV
> 4K, it is no where close to Leanfront, which is good on the FireTV 4K.
>
> My testing has brought me to Live TV with the mythfrontend app on the
> FireTV 4K.  There seems to be a huge lag in the lip-sync; several
> seconds. I don't see this with recorded programs.
>
> Has anyone established the best settings for Mythfrontend v31 for the
> FireTV 4K stick?
>
> Jim A

My HDMI displays are currently dead, so I can't test; but live TV
problems are often caused by trying to play too close to 'live'. Does
pausing for a few seconds help?

John P
Re: Mythtv-frontend app for FireTV 4K stick [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 01:40:09PM -0400, Jim Abernathy wrote:
> I've been running the Mythfrontend and Leanfront apps on my Nvidia Shield
> for years.? However due to switching my main streaming app from SlingTV to
> DirecTV Stream so I could get the RSN channels which carry my local NHL team
> games, I've been forced to use one of my FireTV 4K sticks instead of the
> Nvidia Shield.
>
> This is not a problem except for the performance of the Mythfrontend app on
> the FireTV 4K.? In the past I've only tested it on recorded programs that
> were HD either 1080i or 720p.? While these are okay on the FireTV 4K, it is
> no where close to Leanfront, which is good on the FireTV 4K.
>
> My testing has brought me to Live TV with the mythfrontend app on the FireTV
> 4K.? There seems to be a huge lag in the lip-sync; several seconds. I don't
> see this with recorded programs.
>
> Has anyone established the best settings for Mythfrontend v31 for the FireTV
> 4K stick?

You might try the new Fire TV Stick 4K Max
(https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/9/22662985/amazon-fire-tv-stick-4k-max-announced-features-price).
Faster CPUs and more memory will help. Also, using the simplest,
plainest, MythTV theme you can find (like MythCenter) might help too.

David
--
David Engel
david@istwok.net
Re: Mythtv-frontend app for FireTV 4K stick [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Sep 30, 2021, 3:10 PM David Engel <david@istwok.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 01:40:09PM -0400, Jim Abernathy wrote:
> > I've been running the Mythfrontend and Leanfront apps on my Nvidia Shield
> > for years. However due to switching my main streaming app from SlingTV
> > DirecTV Stream so I could get the RSN channels which carry my local NHL
> team
> > games, I've been forced to use one of my FireTV 4K sticks instead of the
> > Nvidia Shield.
> >
> > This is not a problem except for the performance of the Mythfrontend app
> on
> > the FireTV 4K. In the past I've only tested it on recorded programs that
> > were HD either 1080i or 720p. While these are okay on the FireTV 4K, it
> is
> > no where close to Leanfront, which is good on the FireTV 4K.
> >
> > My testing has brought me to Live TV with the mythfrontend app on the
> FireTV
> > 4K. There seems to be a huge lag in the lip-sync; several seconds. I
> don't
> > see this with recorded programs.
> >
> > Has anyone established the best settings for Mythfrontend v31 for the
> FireTV
> > 4K stick?
>
> You might try the new Fire TV Stick 4K Max
> (
> https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/9/22662985/amazon-fire-tv-stick-4k-max-announced-features-price
> ).
> Faster CPUs and more memory will help. Also, using the simplest,
> plainest, MythTV theme you can find (like MythCenter) might help too.
>
> David
> --
> David Engel
> david@istwok.net

Until I can get the new FireTV stick Max, I'm using a 5x1 HDMI 2.0 switch.
It's not ideal due to remote complexities. I have all 5 inputs used. FireTV
4k, Nvidia Shield, RPI4. Blu-ray player, and Linux PC.

There's a good solution in there somewhere. I just want it simple enough
that I can still figure it out after the 3rd beer.

Jim A.

Re: Mythtv-frontend app for FireTV 4K stick [ In reply to ]
On 02/10/2021 23:37, James Abernathy wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 30, 2021, 3:10 PM David Engel <david@istwok.net
> <mailto:david@istwok.net>> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 01:40:09PM -0400, Jim Abernathy wrote:
> > I've been running the Mythfrontend and Leanfront apps on my
> Nvidia Shield
> > for years.  However due to switching my main streaming app from
> SlingTV to
> > DirecTV Stream so I could get the RSN channels which carry my
> local NHL team
> > games, I've been forced to use one of my FireTV 4K sticks
> instead of the
> > Nvidia Shield.
> >
> > This is not a problem except for the performance of the
> Mythfrontend app on
> > the FireTV 4K.  In the past I've only tested it on recorded
> programs that
> > were HD either 1080i or 720p.  While these are okay on the
> FireTV 4K, it is
> > no where close to Leanfront, which is good on the FireTV 4K.
> >
> > My testing has brought me to Live TV with the mythfrontend app
> on the FireTV
> > 4K.  There seems to be a huge lag in the lip-sync; several
> seconds. I don't
> > see this with recorded programs.
> >
> > Has anyone established the best settings for Mythfrontend v31
> for the FireTV
> > 4K stick?
>
> You might try the new Fire TV Stick 4K Max
> (https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/9/22662985/amazon-fire-tv-stick-4k-max-announced-features-price
> <https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/9/22662985/amazon-fire-tv-stick-4k-max-announced-features-price>).
> Faster CPUs and more memory will help.  Also, using the simplest,
> plainest, MythTV theme you can find (like MythCenter) might help too.
>
> David
> --
> David Engel
> david@istwok.net <mailto:david@istwok.net>
>

> Until I can get the new FireTV stick Max, I'm using a 5x1 HDMI 2.0
> switch. It's not ideal due to remote complexities. I have all 5 inputs
> used. FireTV 4k, Nvidia Shield,  RPI4. Blu-ray player, and Linux PC.
>
> There's a good solution in there somewhere. I just want it simple
> enough that I can still figure it out after the 3rd beer.
>
> Jim A.

I have noticed that the frontend is now no good on the F4K. This is new
for me it used to be fine. The change is I think at their end.

I run v32 of mythfrontend with 1080p 50Hz so my experience may be
different to yours, playback on F4K is now subject to tearing which it
did not a few months ago.

Leanfront is still excellent.

I am expecting a FireTV stick Max this week will see what happens.

By the way getting issues (periodically hangs video - audio continues)
with Leanfront on a Firestick Lite which also used to work but was
always very slow so cannot be recommended.
Re: Mythtv-frontend app for FireTV 4K stick [ In reply to ]
On 10/3/21 8:02 AM, John wrote:
> On 02/10/2021 23:37, James Abernathy wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Sep 30, 2021, 3:10 PM David Engel <david@istwok.net
>> <mailto:david@istwok.net>> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 01:40:09PM -0400, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>> > I've been running the Mythfrontend and Leanfront apps on my
>> Nvidia Shield
>> > for years.  However due to switching my main streaming app from
>> SlingTV to
>> > DirecTV Stream so I could get the RSN channels which carry my
>> local NHL team
>> > games, I've been forced to use one of my FireTV 4K sticks
>> instead of the
>> > Nvidia Shield.
>> >
>> > This is not a problem except for the performance of the
>> Mythfrontend app on
>> > the FireTV 4K.  In the past I've only tested it on recorded
>> programs that
>> > were HD either 1080i or 720p.  While these are okay on the
>> FireTV 4K, it is
>> > no where close to Leanfront, which is good on the FireTV 4K.
>> >
>> > My testing has brought me to Live TV with the mythfrontend app
>> on the FireTV
>> > 4K.  There seems to be a huge lag in the lip-sync; several
>> seconds. I don't
>> > see this with recorded programs.
>> >
>> > Has anyone established the best settings for Mythfrontend v31
>> for the FireTV
>> > 4K stick?
>>
>> You might try the new Fire TV Stick 4K Max
>> (https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/9/22662985/amazon-fire-tv-stick-4k-max-announced-features-price
>> <https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/9/22662985/amazon-fire-tv-stick-4k-max-announced-features-price>).
>> Faster CPUs and more memory will help.  Also, using the simplest,
>> plainest, MythTV theme you can find (like MythCenter) might help too.
>>
>> David
>> --
>> David Engel
>> david@istwok.net <mailto:david@istwok.net>
>>

>> Until I can get the new FireTV stick Max, I'm using a 5x1 HDMI 2.0
>> switch. It's not ideal due to remote complexities. I have all 5
>> inputs used. FireTV 4k, Nvidia Shield,  RPI4. Blu-ray player, and
>> Linux PC.
>>
>> There's a good solution in there somewhere. I just want it simple
>> enough that I can still figure it out after the 3rd beer.
>>
>> Jim A.

> I have noticed that the frontend is now no good on the F4K. This is
> new for me it used to be fine. The change is I think at their end.
>
> I run v32 of mythfrontend with 1080p 50Hz so my experience may be
> different to yours, playback on F4K is now subject to tearing which it
> did not a few months ago.
>
> Leanfront is still excellent.
>
> I am expecting a FireTV stick Max this week will see what happens.
>
> By the way getting issues (periodically hangs video - audio continues)
> with Leanfront on a Firestick Lite which also used to work but was
> always very slow so cannot be recommended.

I only have the standard FireTV 4K stick and all my programs are ATSC
1.0 OTA either 1080i@30Hz or 720p@60Hz MPEG-2. For recorded playback,
the mythfrontend is very watchable for us except in very high action
sequences. But if it's recorded we normally just use Leanfront since
it's damn near perfect.  I use mythfrontend for editing and setting up
scheduled recordings. It's much easier for that.

What leanfront doesn't do well is watching a program while it's being
recorded. I've found for a long time that if I start watching an NFL
football game 30 minutes after it started recording it works until I
start trying to skip a commercial. It sometimes goes backwards after it
adjust the end time which changes after you pass the 30 minutes in my
case mentioned above. I have not found anything in the adb log that
tells me anything useful.  That's one reason I use mythfrontend for
watching behind real-time on a recording.

Jim A
Re: Mythtv-frontend app for FireTV 4K stick [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Oct 3, 2021 at 9:57 AM Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> OTA either 1080i@30Hz or 720p@60Hz MPEG-2. For recorded playback, the
> mythfrontend is very watchable for us except in very high action sequences.
> But if it's recorded we normally just use Leanfront since it's damn near
> perfect. I use mythfrontend for editing and setting up scheduled
> recordings. It's much easier for that.
>
> What leanfront doesn't do well is watching a program while it's being
> recorded. I've found for a long time that if I start watching an NFL
> football game 30 minutes after it started recording it works until I start
> trying to skip a commercial. It sometimes goes backwards after it adjust
> the end time which changes after you pass the 30 minutes in my case
> mentioned above. I have not found anything in the adb log that tells me
> anything useful. That's one reason I use mythfrontend for watching behind

I got my FireTV 4K Max today and at first mythfrontend was unusable, but I
remembered my "unique identifier" name and when I updated the settings with
that it brought back my old FireTV 4K settings and it seems to be working
better. I need to tweak it more, but I don't know enough now to know how
much of an improvement the Max is.

As an aside, my reason for starting down this path was my normal frontend
was a Nvidia Shield TV but I could not get a version of DIrecTV Steam app
for the Shield. I finally found an apk on the XDA Forum that works great
on the Shield. I still think the Shield TV is better than the FireTV 4K
Max, but haven't fully tested mythfrontend yet. Leanfront on the Max is
perfect as expected.

jim A