Same with "make install"

Am I right that if you compile from source you can only install both?

Thanks.
Re: compile MythTV and install only the frontend [ In reply to ]
> On 23 Sep 2021, at 9:02 pm, revans <revans42@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have built MythTV from source and doing a "make install", installs
> both the frontend and backend. I have one machine that will be only a
> frontend but there doesn't seem to be a way to install only the
> frontend.
>
> "configure --help" says nothing about building only the frontend.
> Same with "make install"
>
> Am I right that if you compile from source you can only install both?

The extra bagage from having 'the unused one" is so slight it is a case of 'don't bother'
One can build either, I have but don't remember detail. no doubt configure --help
James
Re: compile MythTV and install only the frontend [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 23 Sep 2021 21:48:09 +0800
James <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:

> The extra bagage from having 'the unused one" is so slight it is a
> case of 'don't bother' One can build either, I have but don't
> remember detail. no doubt configure --help James

It isn't the space used by the backend being installed, I just
don't want a program installed that should ever be used.

There is nothing about building only the frontend in configure --help
or anywhere else I could find.

I have built only the frontend once but that was using
https://github.com/MythTV/packaging.git
not the source itself.
Re: compile MythTV and install only the frontend [ In reply to ]
On 9/23/21 4:10 PM, revans wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2021 21:48:09 +0800
> James <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
>

>> The extra bagage from having 'the unused one" is so slight it is a
>> case of 'don't bother' One can build either, I have but don't
>> remember detail. no doubt configure --help James
>

> It isn't the space used by the backend being installed, I just
> don't want a program installed that should ever be used.
>
> There is nothing about building only the frontend in configure --help
> or anywhere else I could find.
>
> I have built only the frontend once but that was using
> https://github.com/MythTV/packaging.git
> not the source itself.

Could it be that it was built a long time ago?

--disable-backend was removed in 2006

https://code.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/8892c23e799a09980735f1ecaf663a22f26b2a66

--
Bill
Re: compile MythTV and install only the frontend [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 23 Sep 2021 17:32:15 -0500
Bill Meek <keemllib@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I have built only the frontend once but that was using
> > https://github.com/MythTV/packaging.git
> > not the source itself.
>
> Could it be that it was built a long time ago?
>
> --disable-backend was removed in 2006
>
> https://code.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/8892c23e799a09980735f1ecaf663a22f26b2a66

It would have been more like two or three years ago. I should not have
said I build only the frontend, I'm sure both the frontend and backend
were compiled but since it was making .deb packages, I was able to only
install the frontend.