normally, everything comes up fine because I have Wait for Network at boot
set in raspi-config. But if I have a power glitch, the backend comes up
without connection to the tuners.

Following the directions from
https://lists.archive.carbon60.com/mythtv/users/625986#625984 I see that I
don't have NetworkManager-wait-online.service and can't enable it.

What am I missing? I have this working for my Ubuntu 20.04 backend.

Jim A
Re: Raspberry Pi OS mythtv-backend- wait for ping [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 7 Sep 2021 17:20:04 -0400, you wrote:

>I need some help figuring out how to implement wait-for-pingable on my
>raspberry pi mythtv backend.
>
>I'm using Stephen's method from Ubuntu to delay the mythtv backend starting
>until the HDHomerun tuners are up. I think I have a race condition because
>normally, everything comes up fine because I have Wait for Network at boot
>set in raspi-config. But if I have a power glitch, the backend comes up
>without connection to the tuners.
>
>Following the directions from
>https://lists.archive.carbon60.com/mythtv/users/625986#625984 I see that I
>don't have NetworkManager-wait-online.service and can't enable it.
>
>What am I missing? I have this working for my Ubuntu 20.04 backend.
>
>Jim A

Pi OS must not be using NetworkManager. It may be using
systemd-networkd instead. Or something else. In any case, you should
be able to get local-network-pingable.service to work without using
NetworkManager-wait-online.service. Just ignore anything in the
instructions that refers to NetworkManager-wait-online.service.
Re: Raspberry Pi OS mythtv-backend- wait for ping [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Sep 8, 2021 at 6:31 AM Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> Pi OS must not be using NetworkManager. It may be using
> systemd-networkd instead. Or something else. In any case, you should
> be able to get local-network-pingable.service to work without using
> NetworkManager-wait-online.service. Just ignore anything in the
> instructions that refers to NetworkManager-wait-online.service.

So If I understand correctly, the mythtv-backend-wait-until-pingable.conf
just overrides the normal mythtv-backend.service to now wait on the
local-network-pingable.service. It seems to be working, so I must
understand it right.

Thanks,

Jim A
Re: Raspberry Pi OS mythtv-backend- wait for ping [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 8 Sep 2021 09:30:16 -0400, you wrote:

>On Wed, Sep 8, 2021 at 6:31 AM Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz>
>wrote:
>

>> Pi OS must not be using NetworkManager. It may be using
>> systemd-networkd instead. Or something else. In any case, you should
>> be able to get local-network-pingable.service to work without using
>> NetworkManager-wait-online.service. Just ignore anything in the
>> instructions that refers to NetworkManager-wait-online.service.
>>

>So If I understand correctly, the mythtv-backend-wait-until-pingable.conf
>just overrides the normal mythtv-backend.service to now wait on the
>local-network-pingable.service. It seems to be working, so I must
>understand it right.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jim A

Correct.