Mailing List Archive

***Spam*** dvd subtitles colors
Hoi All,

Of late I have been buying series on dvd. As I do not like playing
disk jokey I rip them to disk using dvd::rip.
With my last buy "Star Trek: Enterprise" I have encountered several
problems.
First I had problems with audiosync, switching to handbrake solved
that.
My second problem is with the subtitles. Normally I just burn the
dutch subtitles while ripping, but on this set there are extra
commentary subtitle and audio streams on some of the episodes so I add
them pass-through. Unfortunately now the coloring is off. Not in vlc
but in myth, in stead of white with dark border they are dark grey
with light grey border.
My first thought was extracting the subtitles as subvob with dvd::rip
(transcode) and adding them as external files. The external files are
even worse colored (blue with yellow border) but that I found I could
simpel adjust in the idx file. Again works fine with vlc but myth
does not see them.
Handbrake has also the option of importing srt subtitle files but not
subvob. So far I have not been able to find a tool to convert them.

So anybody any suggestions?

My last problem is that some of these dvd's have image galleries. As
vlc crashes on them I have been unable to see them and neither
dvd::rip nor handbrake is aware of their presence. I have not jet
further looked into this, but any ideas on how to access them?

--
Tot Mails,
Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop
Het eeuwige dilemma

De lerende Mens

Re: ***Spam*** dvd subtitles colors [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2 Sep 2021 02:27:15 +0200, you wrote:

>Hoi All,
>
>Of late I have been buying series on dvd. As I do not like playing
>disk jokey I rip them to disk using dvd::rip.
>With my last buy "Star Trek: Enterprise" I have encountered several
>problems.
>First I had problems with audiosync, switching to handbrake solved
>that.
>My second problem is with the subtitles. Normally I just burn the
>dutch subtitles while ripping, but on this set there are extra
>commentary subtitle and audio streams on some of the episodes so I add
>them pass-through. Unfortunately now the coloring is off. Not in vlc
>but in myth, in stead of white with dark border they are dark grey
>with light grey border.
>My first thought was extracting the subtitles as subvob with dvd::rip
>(transcode) and adding them as external files. The external files are
>even worse colored (blue with yellow border) but that I found I could
>simpel adjust in the idx file. Again works fine with vlc but myth
>does not see them.
>Handbrake has also the option of importing srt subtitle files but not
>subvob. So far I have not been able to find a tool to convert them.
>
>So anybody any suggestions?
>
>My last problem is that some of these dvd's have image galleries. As
>vlc crashes on them I have been unable to see them and neither
>dvd::rip nor handbrake is aware of their presence. I have not jet
>further looked into this, but any ideas on how to access them?

I have always used the Windows software DVDDecrypter for ripping DVDs
- it does handle picture galleries. What it does is to just make a
copy of the DVD, with all its structure present. It does no
transcoding or changing of the container format. Handbrake extracts
the DVD video and then does transcoding on it, or at the very least
changes the container. That always has the ability to create
problems, so it is best to not do that to a DVD, especially a complex
one. I have not heard of dvd::rip before, but I suspect it does the
same thing.

Once you have an accurate DVD image, you can try to edit that to add
extra subtitles or change things. It is best to use a DVD editor that
maintains the DVD structure and only makes minimal changes. I have
had success with using pgcedit for that, but it is a fraught business
if the DVD has a complex structure. It really helps if you download
the DVD specifications and understand them, but that document is a
massive tome and difficult to find as it is behind a paywall. There
are some sites that do have a decent explanation of DVD structure, but
they are not normally the full specification.

You could also try something like MakeMKV, which has the ability to
rip a DVD to a .mkv file. With the right options, the way it does
that is to preserve all the streams in the DVD's VOB files, with no
transcoding (just a raw rip). The .mkv container format seems to have
the ability to handle everything a DVD can do, but I have never tried
it with picture galleries so I am not sure if it can handle them. It
does handle subtitles and alternative audio streams, but I have no
idea if it will handle more complex things like multiple angles
(multiple different video streams for the same scene).
Re: ***Spam*** dvd subtitles colors [ In reply to ]
Hoi Stephen,

Thursday, September 2, 2021, 3:33:12 AM, you wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Sep 2021 02:27:15 +0200, you wrote:

>>Hoi All,
>>
>>Of late I have been buying series on dvd. As I do not like playing
>>disk jokey I rip them to disk using dvd::rip.
>>With my last buy "Star Trek: Enterprise" I have encountered several
>>problems.
>>First I had problems with audiosync, switching to handbrake solved
>>that.
>>My second problem is with the subtitles. Normally I just burn the
>>dutch subtitles while ripping, but on this set there are extra
>>commentary subtitle and audio streams on some of the episodes so I add
>>them pass-through. Unfortunately now the coloring is off. Not in vlc
>>but in myth, in stead of white with dark border they are dark grey
>>with light grey border.
>>My first thought was extracting the subtitles as subvob with dvd::rip
>>(transcode) and adding them as external files. The external files are
>>even worse colored (blue with yellow border) but that I found I could
>>simpel adjust in the idx file. Again works fine with vlc but myth
>>does not see them.
>>Handbrake has also the option of importing srt subtitle files but not
>>subvob. So far I have not been able to find a tool to convert them.
>>
>>So anybody any suggestions?
>>
>>My last problem is that some of these dvd's have image galleries. As
>>vlc crashes on them I have been unable to see them and neither
>>dvd::rip nor handbrake is aware of their presence. I have not jet
>>further looked into this, but any ideas on how to access them?

> I have always used the Windows software DVDDecrypter for ripping DVDs
> - it does handle picture galleries. What it does is to just make a
> copy of the DVD, with all its structure present. It does no
> transcoding or changing of the container format. Handbrake extracts
> the DVD video and then does transcoding on it, or at the very least
> changes the container. That always has the ability to create
> problems, so it is best to not do that to a DVD, especially a complex
> one. I have not heard of dvd::rip before, but I suspect it does the
> same thing.

You mean like cpvts which in essence just copies the VIDEO_TS
directory from the dvd to disk?

How then do you watch? You this way cannot import it into the mythtv
video database. You have vlc or so on your frontend machines to watch
these? It will be tricky to make selections between the different
image with just a remote.

Re: ***Spam*** dvd subtitles colors [ In reply to ]
On 02/09/2021 02:27, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> So anybody any suggestions?

FWIW, I use MakeMKV to first rip the raw DVD or BR to disk, then use
Handbrake to transcode the videocontent (with burned-in subtitles where
required) to .mp4. If necessary I first use VLC to determine which DVD
tracks I actually need (using its Playback > Title functionality), and
then tell MakeMKV only to rip those. (For some reason that only works
with DVDs, not Bluerays).

Whereas this process is slower than ripping and transcoding in one step
using Handbrake, it is much more reliable, in that MakeMKV can rip
absolutely all disks you throw at it (whereas Handbrake chokes on some,
using the same physical DVD or BR drive). Furthermore finding the right
subtitle track can be a hit-and-miss affair, and it is much faster to
use Handbrake a few times on an already-ripped DVD image than to have to
re-rip the DVD for each attempt at finding the correct subtitle track
(and associated settings: forced-only or not).

Furthermore I can delegate the heavy lifting (i.e. the transcoding) to
my server. That is: I use my laptop to do the ripping and have
configured MakeMKV to place its output on the server (which is also the
MythTV backend). Then I run Handbrake on the server through an ssh -Y
session and do the transcoding there. If necessary I can view the
generated .mp4 files on the laptop using vlc. The server's CPU has a
vastly over-dimensioned heat sink so it doesn't break a sweat when used
at 100% for hours on end, whereas my laptop becomes too noisy for this
kind of work, to the extent that I have to reduce its clock frequency
quite a lot whenever it's doing something CPU-intensive.

When I'm satisfied I rsync the .mp4s to MythTV's storage group. I still
keep the ripped raw DVD images around until I've viewed the content for
the first time, so as to quickly be able to fix any snags.

To answer the original question: I have not yet encountered a situation
in which the above process did not yield usable subtitles (assuming the
disk contains the needed subtitles to begin with).

HTH, Jan
Re: ***Spam*** dvd subtitles colors [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2 Sep 2021 15:12:14 +0200, you wrote:

>Hoi Stephen,
>
>Thursday, September 2, 2021, 3:33:12 AM, you wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2 Sep 2021 02:27:15 +0200, you wrote:
>
>>>Hoi All,
>>>
>>>Of late I have been buying series on dvd. As I do not like playing
>>>disk jokey I rip them to disk using dvd::rip.
>>>With my last buy "Star Trek: Enterprise" I have encountered several
>>>problems.
>>>First I had problems with audiosync, switching to handbrake solved
>>>that.
>>>My second problem is with the subtitles. Normally I just burn the
>>>dutch subtitles while ripping, but on this set there are extra
>>>commentary subtitle and audio streams on some of the episodes so I add
>>>them pass-through. Unfortunately now the coloring is off. Not in vlc
>>>but in myth, in stead of white with dark border they are dark grey
>>>with light grey border.
>>>My first thought was extracting the subtitles as subvob with dvd::rip
>>>(transcode) and adding them as external files. The external files are
>>>even worse colored (blue with yellow border) but that I found I could
>>>simpel adjust in the idx file. Again works fine with vlc but myth
>>>does not see them.
>>>Handbrake has also the option of importing srt subtitle files but not
>>>subvob. So far I have not been able to find a tool to convert them.
>>>
>>>So anybody any suggestions?
>>>
>>>My last problem is that some of these dvd's have image galleries. As
>>>vlc crashes on them I have been unable to see them and neither
>>>dvd::rip nor handbrake is aware of their presence. I have not jet
>>>further looked into this, but any ideas on how to access them?
>
>> I have always used the Windows software DVDDecrypter for ripping DVDs
>> - it does handle picture galleries. What it does is to just make a
>> copy of the DVD, with all its structure present. It does no
>> transcoding or changing of the container format. Handbrake extracts
>> the DVD video and then does transcoding on it, or at the very least
>> changes the container. That always has the ability to create
>> problems, so it is best to not do that to a DVD, especially a complex
>> one. I have not heard of dvd::rip before, but I suspect it does the
>> same thing.
>
>You mean like cpvts which in essence just copies the VIDEO_TS
>directory from the dvd to disk?
>
>How then do you watch? You this way cannot import it into the mythtv
>video database. You have vlc or so on your frontend machines to watch
>these? It will be tricky to make selections between the different
>image with just a remote.

Yes, it just copies the DVD to disk, file by file. Mythfrontend can
play a VIDEO_TS directory - just put all the files from one somewhere
in a subdirectory of your video directories and try it out. As I
understand it, mythfrontend will treat any directory it finds a
VIDEO_TS.IFO file in as a DVD image directory. Or you can easily use
a program like ImgBurn (Windows again) to convert the VIDEO_TS
directory to a .iso file. I am sure there are Linux commands to do
that too, but I have only one BD drive and it is on my main Windows
box, so I normally rip optical disks there.

I have never heard of cpvts before, but on looking it up, it only
copies one title from a DVD, not the entire DVD. Complex DVDs often
have multiple titles, sometimes one per scene, for example. Or there
may be effectively two shorter movies on one DVD, with one title each.

For unencrypted DVDs you can just copy the files, or use the Linux
"readom" (read optical media) command to read the entire disk in as a
.iso file. Readom does reasonable error detection and correction, so
it is a good option for reading optical disks.
Re: ***Spam*** dvd subtitles colors [ In reply to ]
Hoi Stephen,

> On Thu, 2 Sep 2021 15:12:14 +0200, you wrote:

>>Hoi Stephen,
>>
>>Thursday, September 2, 2021, 3:33:12 AM, you wrote:

>>> I have always used the Windows software DVDDecrypter for ripping DVDs
>>> - it does handle picture galleries. What it does is to just make a
>>> copy of the DVD, with all its structure present. It does no
>>> transcoding or changing of the container format. Handbrake extracts
>>> the DVD video and then does transcoding on it, or at the very least
>>> changes the container. That always has the ability to create
>>> problems, so it is best to not do that to a DVD, especially a complex
>>> one. I have not heard of dvd::rip before, but I suspect it does the
>>> same thing.
>>
>>You mean like cpvts which in essence just copies the VIDEO_TS
>>directory from the dvd to disk?
>>
>>How then do you watch? You this way cannot import it into the mythtv
>>video database. You have vlc or so on your frontend machines to watch
>>these? It will be tricky to make selections between the different
>>image with just a remote.

> Yes, it just copies the DVD to disk, file by file. Mythfrontend can
> play a VIDEO_TS directory - just put all the files from one somewhere
> in a subdirectory of your video directories and try it out. As I
> understand it, mythfrontend will treat any directory it finds a
> VIDEO_TS.IFO file in as a DVD image directory. Or you can easily use
> a program like ImgBurn (Windows again) to convert the VIDEO_TS
> directory to a .iso file. I am sure there are Linux commands to do
> that too, but I have only one BD drive and it is on my main Windows
> box, so I normally rip optical disks there.

> I have never heard of cpvts before, but on looking it up, it only
> copies one title from a DVD, not the entire DVD. Complex DVDs often
> have multiple titles, sometimes one per scene, for example. Or there
> may be effectively two shorter movies on one DVD, with one title each.

> For unencrypted DVDs you can just copy the files, or use the Linux
> "readom" (read optical media) command to read the entire disk in as a
> .iso file. Readom does reasonable error detection and correction, so
> it is a good option for reading optical disks.

I have experimented with your DVD Decrypter. It in essence does the
same as the first stage of dvd::rip (which is a graphical frontend for
transcode) only DVD Decrypter is a little more powerful.
It does not see the picture galleries and does not solve the subtitle
color problem. Actually when I transcode it next with handbrake I now
had orange subtitles in mythtv.
My guess is there is an incompatibility between these dvd's and the
mythtv internal player.

I see several posibilities:
- looking further for inserting adapted subtitles
- transcoding a separate version for the extra subtitles and burn them
in. Then the color is ok.
- switch to another player (for instance mplayer) in mythtv.
I tried both `/usr/bin/mplayer` and `/usr/bin/mplayer %FILE%` but
they won't run. What am I missing? It runs from the commandline.
- look into possibilities with makemkv

Re: ***Spam*** dvd subtitles colors [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2 Sep 2021 21:49:02 +0200, you wrote:

>Hoi Stephen,

[snip]
>I have experimented with your DVD Decrypter. It in essence does the
>same as the first stage of dvd::rip (which is a graphical frontend for
>transcode) only DVD Decrypter is a little more powerful.
>It does not see the picture galleries and does not solve the subtitle
>color problem. Actually when I transcode it next with handbrake I now
>had orange subtitles in mythtv.
>My guess is there is an incompatibility between these dvd's and the
>mythtv internal player.

Mythfrontend is not 100% compatible with all videos and DVDs. But I
have not had any problems with seeing the picture galleries on any
DVDs I have ripped. I only rarely use subtitles so I would not
necessarily have noticed problems with them.

>I see several posibilities:
>- looking further for inserting adapted subtitles
>- transcoding a separate version for the extra subtitles and burn them
> in. Then the color is ok.
>- switch to another player (for instance mplayer) in mythtv.
> I tried both `/usr/bin/mplayer` and `/usr/bin/mplayer %FILE%` but
> they won't run. What am I missing? It runs from the commandline.
>- look into possibilities with makemkv

I use mplayer as my alternate player, and I also have my mother's
MythTV box using it:

MariaDB [mythconverg]> select * from settings where data like
'%mplayer%' and hostname='crw-pvr';
+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+----------+
| value | data | hostname |
Re: ***Spam*** dvd subtitles colors [ In reply to ]
Hoi Stephen,

Friday, September 3, 2021, 4:57:11 AM, you wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Sep 2021 21:49:02 +0200, you wrote:

>>Hoi Stephen,
>>
> [snip]
>>I have experimented with your DVD Decrypter. It in essence does the
>>same as the first stage of dvd::rip (which is a graphical frontend for
>>transcode) only DVD Decrypter is a little more powerful.
>>It does not see the picture galleries and does not solve the subtitle
>>color problem. Actually when I transcode it next with handbrake I now
>>had orange subtitles in mythtv.
>>My guess is there is an incompatibility between these dvd's and the
>>mythtv internal player.

> Mythfrontend is not 100% compatible with all videos and DVDs. But I
> have not had any problems with seeing the picture galleries on any
> DVDs I have ripped. I only rarely use subtitles so I would not
> necessarily have noticed problems with them.

>>I see several posibilities:
>>- looking further for inserting adapted subtitles
>>- transcoding a separate version for the extra subtitles and burn them
>> in. Then the color is ok.
>>- switch to another player (for instance mplayer) in mythtv.
>> I tried both `/usr/bin/mplayer` and `/usr/bin/mplayer %FILE%` but
>> they won't run. What am I missing? It runs from the commandline.
>>- look into possibilities with makemkv

> I use mplayer as my alternate player, and I also have my mother's
> MythTV box using it:

> MariaDB [mythconverg]> select * from settings where data like
> '%mplayer%' and hostname='crw-pvr';
> +--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+----------+
> | value | data | hostname |
> +--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+----------+
> | VCDPlayerCommand | mplayer vcd:// -cdrom-device %d -fs -zoom -vo xv | crw-pvr |
> | mythvideo.VideoAlternatePlayer | mplayer -fs -vo vdpau %s | crw-pvr |
> +--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+----------+
> 2 rows in set (0.001 sec)

> We both use Nvidia GPUs hence the vdpau option.

Thanks, only my system won't take the %s variable or for that matter
%FILE% as I use on jobs. Possibly because I'm still running 0.27. I'll
look deeper into the matter. I also realized that I have to use
mplayer remotecontrol settings. So another thing to research.

The good news is that the subtitles play good from a matroska (.mkv)
container created with makemkv. However if I try to reduce size by
transcoding with handbrake they become grey again.

I haven't jet tried if makemkv sees the picture galleries, but I have
little hope. It seems they are hidden somewhere outside any default
structure. Maybe even as frames of a movie.

Re: ***Spam*** dvd subtitles colors [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 3 Sep 2021 18:14:14 +0200, you wrote:

>Hoi Stephen,
>
>Friday, September 3, 2021, 4:57:11 AM, you wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2 Sep 2021 21:49:02 +0200, you wrote:
>
>>>Hoi Stephen,
>>>
>> [snip]
>>>I have experimented with your DVD Decrypter. It in essence does the
>>>same as the first stage of dvd::rip (which is a graphical frontend for
>>>transcode) only DVD Decrypter is a little more powerful.
>>>It does not see the picture galleries and does not solve the subtitle
>>>color problem. Actually when I transcode it next with handbrake I now
>>>had orange subtitles in mythtv.
>>>My guess is there is an incompatibility between these dvd's and the
>>>mythtv internal player.
>
>> Mythfrontend is not 100% compatible with all videos and DVDs. But I
>> have not had any problems with seeing the picture galleries on any
>> DVDs I have ripped. I only rarely use subtitles so I would not
>> necessarily have noticed problems with them.
>
>>>I see several posibilities:
>>>- looking further for inserting adapted subtitles
>>>- transcoding a separate version for the extra subtitles and burn them
>>> in. Then the color is ok.
>>>- switch to another player (for instance mplayer) in mythtv.
>>> I tried both `/usr/bin/mplayer` and `/usr/bin/mplayer %FILE%` but
>>> they won't run. What am I missing? It runs from the commandline.
>>>- look into possibilities with makemkv
>
>> I use mplayer as my alternate player, and I also have my mother's
>> MythTV box using it:
>
>> MariaDB [mythconverg]> select * from settings where data like
>> '%mplayer%' and hostname='crw-pvr';
>> +--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+----------+
>> | value | data | hostname |
>> +--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+----------+
>> | VCDPlayerCommand | mplayer vcd:// -cdrom-device %d -fs -zoom -vo xv | crw-pvr |
>> | mythvideo.VideoAlternatePlayer | mplayer -fs -vo vdpau %s | crw-pvr |
>> +--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+----------+
>> 2 rows in set (0.001 sec)
>
>> We both use Nvidia GPUs hence the vdpau option.
>
>Thanks, only my system won't take the %s variable or for that matter
>%FILE% as I use on jobs. Possibly because I'm still running 0.27. I'll
>look deeper into the matter. I also realized that I have to use
>mplayer remotecontrol settings. So another thing to research.

I have been using mplayer since well before 0.27, so that is not the
problem. I have mplayer set up with lirc - it is configured the same
way as mythfrontend. See if you have a $(HOME)/.lirc/mplayer file
alongside your $(HOME)/.lirc/mythtv file.

>The good news is that the subtitles play good from a matroska (.mkv)
>container created with makemkv. However if I try to reduce size by
>transcoding with handbrake they become grey again.

See if you can extract the subtitles to a .idx text file. In that
format you should have full control of how they display using the
headers at the start of the file.

>I haven't jet tried if makemkv sees the picture galleries, but I have
>little hope. It seems they are hidden somewhere outside any default
>structure. Maybe even as frames of a movie.

Yes, picture galleries can be done as video files with very low frame
rates, such as one frame per 20 seconds.
Re: ***Spam*** dvd subtitles colors [ In reply to ]
Hoi Stephen,

> On Fri, 3 Sep 2021 18:14:14 +0200, you wrote:

>>Hoi Stephen,
>>
>>Friday, September 3, 2021, 4:57:11 AM, you wrote:

>>> [snip]
>>
>>> Mythfrontend is not 100% compatible with all videos and DVDs. But I
>>> have not had any problems with seeing the picture galleries on any
>>> DVDs I have ripped. I only rarely use subtitles so I would not
>>> necessarily have noticed problems with them.

>>> I use mplayer as my alternate player, and I also have my mother's
>>> MythTV box using it:
>>
>>> MariaDB [mythconverg]> select * from settings where data like
>>> '%mplayer%' and hostname='crw-pvr';
>>> +--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+----------+
>>> | value | data | hostname |
>>> +--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+----------+
>>> | VCDPlayerCommand | mplayer vcd:// -cdrom-device %d -fs -zoom -vo xv | crw-pvr |
>>> | mythvideo.VideoAlternatePlayer | mplayer -fs -vo vdpau %s | crw-pvr |
>>> +--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+----------+
>>> 2 rows in set (0.001 sec)
>>
>>> We both use Nvidia GPUs hence the vdpau option.
>>
>>Thanks, only my system won't take the %s variable or for that matter
>>%FILE% as I use on jobs. Possibly because I'm still running 0.27. I'll
>>look deeper into the matter. I also realized that I have to use
>>mplayer remotecontrol settings. So another thing to research.

> I have been using mplayer since well before 0.27, so that is not the
> problem. I have mplayer set up with lirc - it is configured the same
> way as mythfrontend. See if you have a $(HOME)/.lirc/mplayer file
> alongside your $(HOME)/.lirc/mythtv file.

I get the error "XMLParseBase: Parent is NULL". As I see this on all
my frontends, I guess it is a bug in the gentoo ebuild for mythplugin
and that a compilation modifier is missing so it can not find the
variables.

Any hint would be welcome (it is still 0.27, but as I understand
mythvideo has barely changed since then)

>>The good news is that the subtitles play good from a matroska (.mkv)
>>container created with makemkv. However if I try to reduce size by
>>transcoding with handbrake they become grey again.

> See if you can extract the subtitles to a .idx text file. In that
> format you should have full control of how they display using the
> headers at the start of the file.

Ok, The incompatibility is between the internal player and the
handbrake native .m4v container format.

I first created a matroska file without the subtitles and then
inserted adapted subvob files into it using MKVToolNix. A great tool
for manipulating matroska files. But as soon as I transcoded it with
handbrake it was broken again.

Luckily I discovered handbrake can also use the matroska (.mkv)
container format. On second try I even discovered that then I do not
need to adapt the subvobs. Just ripping strait from dvd to matroska
works OK!

It's a pity Mythvideo does not read the name field for the audio or
subvob streams in the matroska container. With MKVToolNix I can edit
them to contain more then language or stereo to contain the type of
commentary in that stream.

Re: ***Spam*** dvd subtitles colors [ In reply to ]
Hoi Stephen,

---

>>I haven't jet tried if makemkv sees the picture galleries, but I have
>>little hope. It seems they are hidden somewhere outside any default
>>structure. Maybe even as frames of a movie.

> Yes, picture galleries can be done as video files with very low frame
> rates, such as one frame per 20 seconds.

I found the picture galleries, hidden inside the dvd menu structure.
This is how I could extract them:

Make a copy of the dvd with dvdbackup. On this copy you can play the
individual .vob files to see what's in each and you can access them
directly with for instance projectX. In projectX you can then save the
separate frames as bitmaps. If you want to save space you can next
convert to jpeg.

Tot mails,
Hika mailto:hvdhoven@xs4all.nl

Re: ***Spam*** dvd subtitles colors [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2021-09-04 at 14:34 +0200, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> It's a pity Mythvideo does not read the name field for the audio or
> subvob streams in the matroska container. With MKVToolNix I can edit
> them to contain more then language or stereo to contain the type of
> commentary in that stream.

Hi Hika,

I added partial support for that for audio streams in June. I just
committed a better implementation that handles subtitles as well. Its
commits df9e32bde6 and 53f841f61c if you want to cherry-pick them into
your build.

David