Mailing List Archive

HDMI output - audio to a different device.
G'day all,

I have:
4k TV with HDMI
2k amp with HDMI in.out

Currently I have
mythtv -> amp -> TV

but I can't get 4k on the TV due to the amp.

Can I have video on one HDMI and audio on another, maybe I just need to
use mirror, so both HDMI outs are the same?
The graphics cards is a nvidia GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050]

I can;t see why I can't anyone have thoughts or a different idea?

--
'ooroo

Stinga...(:)-)
Email: stinga+mythtv@wolf-rock.com o
You need only two tools. o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it /@ `\ /) ~
doesn't move and it should use > (O) X< ~ Fish!!
the hammer. If it moves and `\___/' \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape. \\\
Re: HDMI output - audio to a different device. [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 10:21 AM stinga <stinga+mythtv@wolf-rock.com> wrote:

> G'day all,
>
> I have:
> 4k TV with HDMI
> 2k amp with HDMI in.out
>
> Currently I have
> mythtv -> amp -> TV
>
> but I can't get 4k on the TV due to the amp.
>
> Can I have video on one HDMI and audio on another, maybe I just need to
> use mirror, so both HDMI outs are the same?
> The graphics cards is a nvidia GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050]
>
> I can;t see why I can't anyone have thoughts or a different idea?
>
> --
> 'ooroo
>
> Stinga...(:)-)
> Email: stinga+mythtv@wolf-rock.com o
> You need only two tools. o /////
> A hammer and duct tape. If it /@ `\ /) ~
> doesn't move and it should use > (O) X< ~ Fish!!
> the hammer. If it moves and `\___/' \) ~
> shouldn't, use the tape. \\\

I have a similar setup to you. I feed my HDMI from the PC running
mythtv-frontend to a HDMI "2.0" splitter and then take one HDMI output to
the TV and the other to my A/V Receiver. I also have my TV set for HDMI 2.0
for 4K@60hz works.

Jim A
Re: HDMI output - audio to a different device. [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 10:21 AM stinga <stinga+mythtv@wolf-rock.com> wrote:

> G'day all,
>
> I have:
> 4k TV with HDMI
> 2k amp with HDMI in.out
>
> Currently I have
> mythtv -> amp -> TV
>
> but I can't get 4k on the TV due to the amp.
>
> Can I have video on one HDMI and audio on another, maybe I just need to
> use mirror, so both HDMI outs are the same?
> The graphics cards is a nvidia GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050]
>
> I can;t see why I can't anyone have thoughts or a different idea?
>
> --
> 'ooroo
>
> Stinga...(:)-)
> Email: stinga+mythtv@wolf-rock.com o
> You need only two tools. o /////
> A hammer and duct tape. If it /@ `\ /) ~
> doesn't move and it should use > (O) X< ~ Fish!!
> the hammer. If it moves and `\___/' \) ~
> shouldn't, use the tape. \\\

Another possible solution is feeding the HDMI from the PC to TV and connect
the TV optical audio out to the A/V receiver. I do that sometimes as well.

Jim A
Re: HDMI output - audio to a different device. [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 11 Aug 2021 at 8:21 pm, stinga <stinga+mythtv@wolf-rock.com> wrote:

> G'day all,
>
> I have:
> 4k TV with HDMI
> 2k amp with HDMI in.out
>
> Currently I have
> mythtv -> amp -> TV
>
> but I can't get 4k on the TV due to the amp.
>
> Can I have video on one HDMI and audio on another, maybe I just need to
> use mirror, so both HDMI outs are the same?
> The graphics cards is a nvidia GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050]
>
> I can;t see why I can't anyone have thoughts or a different
> 'ooroo

You can have audio going out a different HDMI port. In the myth audio setup
find the output that match the port. It will be either a ALSA:hw or
ALSA:hdmi

Try them all, you will need to configure video output on that hdmi port too
even if it’s not going to be seen ultimately, you can’t have just audio.

If your TV supports ARC, there are ARC extractor that would do the trick ;
the advantage over using the optical port of the TV is that you can do
lossless audio.
Re: HDMI output - audio to a different device. [ In reply to ]
On 11/08/2021 19:39, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Aug 2021 at 8:21 pm, stinga <stinga+mythtv@wolf-rock.com
> <mailto:stinga%2Bmythtv@wolf-rock.com>> wrote:
>
> G'day all,
>
> I have:
> 4k TV with HDMI
> 2k amp with HDMI in.out
>
> Currently I have
> mythtv -> amp -> TV
>
> but I can't get 4k on the TV due to the amp.
>
> Can I have video on one HDMI and audio on another, maybe I just
> need to
> use mirror, so both HDMI outs are the same?
> The graphics cards is a nvidia GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050]
>
> I can;t see why I can't anyone have thoughts or a different
>

> You can have audio going out a different HDMI port. In the myth audio
> setup find the output that match the port. It will be either a ALSA:hw
> or ALSA:hdmi
>
> Try them all, you will need to configure video output on that hdmi
> port too even if it’s not going to be seen ultimately, you can’t have
> just audio.

G'day,

I have ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1 currently.

How does ARC work, I did think about that, the TV is ARC compatible but
I don't think my amp is.

It looks like I can just add something so that the second screen works
but never show it and push the audio over it.

Re: HDMI output - audio to a different device. [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 11 Aug 2021 at 22:01, stinga <stinga+mythtv@wolf-rock.com> wrote:
> G'day,
>
> I have ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1 currently.

There will be a specific DEV=x combination for the HDMI port you need.
It's a matter of trying them all until the right one is found.

> How does ARC work, I did think about that, the TV is ARC compatible but
> I don't think my amp is.

If your amp doesn't support ARC (which wouldn't be surprising as it's
fairly recent); you can get an ARC extractor
There are heaps of units, typical cost will be < US$50, check Amazon.

There are two types: ARC which are very common and eARC (part of HDMI
2.1 which can do uncompressed audio); those are more difficult to find
and the good ones are expensive.

> It looks like I can just add something so that the second screen works
> but never show it and push the audio over it.

that's the cheapest solution.
Re: HDMI output - audio to a different device. [ In reply to ]
For a long time, I had a surround sound receiver which did not take in HDMI. So I had computer (HDMI) -> TV set, and computer (SPDIF) -> receiver, and just set the audio device appropriately in mythtv.

If you are not switching to other video sources (bluray, apple tv, etc), this would be fairly simple. Once you start getting into switching video sources, you then have to synchronize the setup (change video source on TV, and then change audio source on receiver). And I suppose it depends on the receiver how to set it to use SPDIF input. Of course, if the receiver does not have SPDIF in (or your computer lacks it out, though most seem to have it now days) this solution wouldn't work.

Re: HDMI output - audio to a different device. [ In reply to ]
stinga <stinga+mythtv@wolf-rock.com> wrote:

> How does ARC work, I did think about that, the TV is ARC compatible but I don't think my amp is.

Taking a step back ...
Audio Return Channel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#ARC allows the TV to send the audio for whatever source it's using out on a specific HDMI port. This means that instead of having to route all your sources via some sort of smart switch (AV Amp) that will extract the audio for the selected source, you can feed everything into your TV and the TV will take care of sending whatever audio it's selected out to an external device. It doesn't have to be via HDMI - the TV could do this via a different means (such as Toslink ...) - I had a TV many years ago that had this function via one of it's SCART (remember those ?) sockets.

So if your TV has such a function, it's a matter of working out what options it has and turning it on - and connecting something to receive the audio and play it through the speakers. Once that's done, then (in theory at least) it doesn't matter what you connect to the TV, you should get sound out of your external amp system.

Simon

Re: HDMI output - audio to a different device. [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 12 Aug 2021 at 17:08, Simon Hobson <linux@thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:
> Audio Return Channel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#ARC allows the TV to send the audio for whatever source it's using out on a specific HDMI port. This means that instead of having to route all your sources via some sort of smart switch (AV Amp) that will extract the audio for the selected source, you can feed everything into your TV and the TV will take care of sending whatever audio it's selected out to an external device. It doesn't have to be via HDMI - the TV could do this via a different means (such as Toslink ...) - I had a TV many years ago that had this function via one of it's SCART (remember those ?) sockets.

Keep in mind that ARC is not better than SPDIF ; it's dolby digital 5.1 at best.