The build wiki (https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Building_MythFrontend_on_Mac_OS_X) says it's only for 0.31 and later.

Suggestions on the best way to end up with a working OS X frontend ?

Simon

Re: OS X build for 0.30 frontend [ In reply to ]

> Suggestions on the best way to end up with a working OS X frontend ?

H Simon,

There's a prebuilt binary for v30 that I posted on the sourceforge site
here (the same site I post updated v31 / master builds):
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/files/v30/
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/files/v30/>

I originally downloaded this copy from the link you've mentioned posted on
the wiki.

Beyond that, your only two options are to roll up your sleeves and compile
locally or upgrade your backend to v31.

Since you're running Big Sur, I'd suggest upgrading to v31 at least to get
the updated video playback (it was much less stuttery on high bitrate 4k
videos when I started Big Sur specific builds).

Regards,
John
Re: OS X build for 0.30 frontend [ In reply to ]
John Hoyt <john.hoyt@gmail.com> wrote:

> There's a prebuilt binary for v30 that I posted on the sourceforge site here (the same site I post updated v31 / master builds):
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/files/v30/

Great, that's running now. Hit the "video in bottom left of screen" issue that I recalled having seen discussed, and thanks to a quick search dealt with that.
Many many thanks to all those that made this work.

> Since you're running Big Sur, I'd suggest upgrading to v31 at least to get the updated video playback (it was much less stuttery on high bitrate 4k videos when I started Big Sur specific builds).

I'm not generally even using HD Freeview, so that's not going to be an issue. So many things to do, so little time for upgrading ... "it's only TV" :D

Simon

Re: OS X build for 0.30 frontend [ In reply to ]
> On 10 Aug 2021, at 7:50 pm, Simon Hobson <linux@thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> There's a prebuilt binary for v30 that I posted on the sourceforge site here (the same site I post updated v31 / master builds):
>> https://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/files/v30/ <https://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/files/v30/>
>
> Great, that's running now. Hit the "video in bottom left of screen" issue that I recalled having seen discussed, and thanks to a quick search dealt with that.
> Many many thanks to all those that made this work.
>
>> Since you're running Big Sur, I'd suggest upgrading to v31 at least to get the updated video playback (it was much less stuttery on high bitrate 4k videos when I started Big Sur specific builds).
>
> I'm not generally even using HD Freeview, so that's not going to be an issue. So many things to do, so little time for upgrading ... "it's only TV" :D

Simon, John has put grey hair into myth-OSX but if you want to collect Movie meta data then use a linux frontend as the OSX frontends do not work.
VBox VMs do the job just fine.
James