Mailing List Archive

problems with latest updates dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database
Hi all,

Was running updates today as my non-mythtv regular username, with sudo
access of course, and when it was updating the database it gave me the
following error:

Failed to connect to database (incorrect admin password)
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
password: NO)

I was using the command-line this time as previous updates have broken my
video driver (I guess) and so can't run KDE on this backend right now. So,
not sure if this happens when I use the graphical style daily update
methods, but it is generally run as my own user with sudo access too.

Anyway, have been having odd issues here and there, and wonder if I've been
missing out on database updates this whole time because root is not able to
connect?

What's the right way to solve this? I've been under the impression that you
shouldn't muck with databases as user root, so don't think I've ever set it
to have access to mythconverg, but also didn't know that the update
mechanism required it...

Thanks for any thoughts,

-- George
Re: problems with latest updates dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 8 Aug 2021 17:46:47 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Was running updates today as my non-mythtv regular username, with sudo
>access of course, and when it was updating the database it gave me the
>following error:
>
>Failed to connect to database (incorrect admin password)
>ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
>password: NO)
>
>I was using the command-line this time as previous updates have broken my
>video driver (I guess) and so can't run KDE on this backend right now. So,
>not sure if this happens when I use the graphical style daily update
>methods, but it is generally run as my own user with sudo access too.
>
>Anyway, have been having odd issues here and there, and wonder if I've been
>missing out on database updates this whole time because root is not able to
>connect?
>
>What's the right way to solve this? I've been under the impression that you
>shouldn't muck with databases as user root, so don't think I've ever set it
>to have access to mythconverg, but also didn't know that the update
>mechanism required it...
>
>Thanks for any thoughts,
>

>-- George

If a root config.xml is really required, the easiest thing to do would
be to create a link from /root/.mythtv/config.xml to
/etc/mythtv/config.xml:

sudo su
cd /root/mythtv
ln -s /etc/mythtv/config.xml
exit

But I thought that the /etc/mythtv/config.xml file was used when
MythTV programs were run from root. So maybe it is a packaging
problem. Anyway, to fix the existing situation, create the link and
then you may need to manually run:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database

But I think that mythbackend will automatically do schema updates if
necessary when it starts up, so you should be up to date despite the
error messages.
Re: problems with latest updates dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Aug 8, 2021 at 9:49 PM Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Aug 2021 17:46:47 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >Was running updates today as my non-mythtv regular username, with sudo
> >access of course, and when it was updating the database it gave me the
> >following error:
> >
> >Failed to connect to database (incorrect admin password)
> >ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
> >password: NO)
> >
> >I was using the command-line this time as previous updates have broken my
> >video driver (I guess) and so can't run KDE on this backend right now. So,
> >not sure if this happens when I use the graphical style daily update
> >methods, but it is generally run as my own user with sudo access too.
> >
> >Anyway, have been having odd issues here and there, and wonder if I've
> been
> >missing out on database updates this whole time because root is not able
> >connect?
> >
> >What's the right way to solve this? I've been under the impression that
> you
> >shouldn't muck with databases as user root, so don't think I've ever set
> it
> >to have access to mythconverg, but also didn't know that the update
> >mechanism required it...
> >
> >Thanks for any thoughts,
> >

> >-- George
>
> If a root config.xml is really required, the easiest thing to do would
> be to create a link from /root/.mythtv/config.xml to
> /etc/mythtv/config.xml:
>
> sudo su
> cd /root/mythtv
> ln -s /etc/mythtv/config.xml
> exit
>
> But I thought that the /etc/mythtv/config.xml file was used when
> MythTV programs were run from root. So maybe it is a packaging
> problem. Anyway, to fix the existing situation, create the link and
> then you may need to manually run:
>
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database
>
> But I think that mythbackend will automatically do schema updates if
> necessary when it starts up, so you should be up to date despite the
> error messages.

Thank you Stephen,

I did the sudo su, and in the root home directory there already was a link
to config.xml - must be done automagically because I don't recall
explicitly setting that. Anyway, I did the dpkg--reconfigure step while
root and this time it worked, however it wasn't what I expected, it brought
up the interface asking for root username and the root password, which I
entered, but is not the same as the mythtv username or password that's in
the config file. Then it asked if other machines were going to connect and
I entered 'yes' and that was it, after about 10 seconds it was done.

I took a look at the mysql error logs, and there's no entries from today,
and yesterday's log file was just a few messages about initializing being
successful and ready for connection, but no mention of any connection
failures.

Kinda a mystery to me, but either way MythTV seems to be working OK.
Although I do occasionally have failures relating to it not having enough
buffers when I change channels or enter into live TV. Anyway, I doubt
that's related to this.

Thanks,

George
Re: problems with latest updates dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 9 Aug 2021 00:18:25 -0500, you wrote:

>Thank you Stephen,
>
>I did the sudo su, and in the root home directory there already was a link
>to config.xml - must be done automagically because I don't recall
>explicitly setting that. Anyway, I did the dpkg--reconfigure step while
>root and this time it worked, however it wasn't what I expected, it brought
>up the interface asking for root username and the root password, which I
>entered, but is not the same as the mythtv username or password that's in
>the config file. Then it asked if other machines were going to connect and
>I entered 'yes' and that was it, after about 10 seconds it was done.
>
>I took a look at the mysql error logs, and there's no entries from today,
>and yesterday's log file was just a few messages about initializing being
>successful and ready for connection, but no mention of any connection
>failures.

That is all as expected. I think it probably used the root username
and password to do a root access to MySQL - bypassing the normal MySQL
username/password authentication and using the root user's ultimate
access to everything.

>Kinda a mystery to me, but either way MythTV seems to be working OK.
>Although I do occasionally have failures relating to it not having enough
>buffers when I change channels or enter into live TV. Anyway, I doubt
>that's related to this.

"Not enough buffers" is something that should be fixable - what
exactly is the problem? What log messages do you see?