Mailing List Archive

mythfrontend on ASRock NUC
I've been trying to get mythfrontend to work properly without a ton of
video tearing and shearing on my new ASRock NUC 1165G7. It's an 11th Gen
Core i7 mobile part,

I've tried Linux Mint 20.2, Ubuntu 21.04, PopOS and all have video problems
and all use the Ubuntu kernel 5.11, and Xorg server.

I was having no luck getting help with this new hardware.

It turns out that Kodi has the same issue using the mythtv addon. I was
thinking it had to be related to older kernels or mesa drivers. I'm out of
my element here.

Today I installed Archlinux/XFCE4 with kernel 5.13.7 and mythfrontend
v31.0-162 and everything is working fine as you'd expect for this much
hardware performance. I'm using OpenGL High Quality with 4 CPUs in all
this testing. Vaapi was a non-starter.

I don't know what made this work. Was it the newer kernel, newer Xserver,
etc.
Archlinux is a lot of work to install and keep working so I'd like to move
back to *buntu based frontend, but not sure when this will work.

Any ideas?

JIm A
Re: mythfrontend on ASRock NUC [ In reply to ]
> On 2 Aug 2021, at 9:01 am, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've been trying to get mythfrontend to work properly without a ton of video tearing and shearing on my new ASRock NUC 1165G7. It's an 11th Gen Core i7 mobile part,
>
> I've tried Linux Mint 20.2, Ubuntu 21.04, PopOS and all have video problems and all use the Ubuntu kernel 5.11, and Xorg server.
>
> I was having no luck getting help with this new hardware.
>
> It turns out that Kodi has the same issue using the mythtv addon. I was thinking it had to be related to older kernels or mesa drivers. I'm out of my element here.
>
> Today I installed Archlinux/XFCE4 with kernel 5.13.7 and mythfrontend v31.0-162 and everything is working fine as you'd expect for this much hardware performance. I'm using OpenGL High Quality with 4 CPUs in all this testing. Vaapi was a non-starter.
>
> I don't know what made this work. Was it the newer kernel, newer Xserver, etc.
> Archlinux is a lot of work to install and keep working so I'd like to move back to *buntu based frontend, but not sure when this will work.
>
> Any ideas?

Jim manjaro is arch but much easier to manage (but to be fair arch is not hard just very . . . fiddly (apologies Jonn) the thesaurous does not do justice https://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/another-word-for/fiddly.html. But it is just fiddly.

James

Re: mythfrontend on ASRock NUC [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 1 Aug 2021 21:01:57 -0400, you wrote:

>I've been trying to get mythfrontend to work properly without a ton of
>video tearing and shearing on my new ASRock NUC 1165G7. It's an 11th Gen
>Core i7 mobile part,
>
>I've tried Linux Mint 20.2, Ubuntu 21.04, PopOS and all have video problems
>and all use the Ubuntu kernel 5.11, and Xorg server.
>
>I was having no luck getting help with this new hardware.
>
>It turns out that Kodi has the same issue using the mythtv addon. I was
>thinking it had to be related to older kernels or mesa drivers. I'm out of
>my element here.
>
>Today I installed Archlinux/XFCE4 with kernel 5.13.7 and mythfrontend
>v31.0-162 and everything is working fine as you'd expect for this much
>hardware performance. I'm using OpenGL High Quality with 4 CPUs in all
>this testing. Vaapi was a non-starter.
>
>I don't know what made this work. Was it the newer kernel, newer Xserver,
>etc.
>Archlinux is a lot of work to install and keep working so I'd like to move
>back to *buntu based frontend, but not sure when this will work.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>JIm A

Using OpenGL should work on any distro with a modern enough CPU.
Getting VAAPI working might require a late enough kernel to have the
latest Intel video drivers suitable for the NUC.
Re: mythfrontend on ASRock NUC [ In reply to ]
On 8/2/21 12:11 AM, James Linder wrote:

>> On 2 Aug 2021, at 9:01 am, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've been trying to get mythfrontend to work properly without a ton of video tearing and shearing on my new ASRock NUC 1165G7. It's an 11th Gen Core i7 mobile part,
>>
>> I've tried Linux Mint 20.2, Ubuntu 21.04, PopOS and all have video problems and all use the Ubuntu kernel 5.11, and Xorg server.
>>
>> I was having no luck getting help with this new hardware.
>>
>> It turns out that Kodi has the same issue using the mythtv addon. I was thinking it had to be related to older kernels or mesa drivers. I'm out of my element here.
>>
>> Today I installed Archlinux/XFCE4 with kernel 5.13.7 and mythfrontend v31.0-162 and everything is working fine as you'd expect for this much hardware performance. I'm using OpenGL High Quality with 4 CPUs in all this testing. Vaapi was a non-starter.
>>
>> I don't know what made this work. Was it the newer kernel, newer Xserver, etc.
>> Archlinux is a lot of work to install and keep working so I'd like to move back to *buntu based frontend, but not sure when this will work.
>>
>> Any ideas?
> Jim manjaro is arch but much easier to manage (but to be fair arch is not hard just very . . . fiddly (apologies Jonn) the thesaurous does not do justice https://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/another-word-for/fiddly.html. But it is just fiddly.
>
> James

Manjaro was one of the ones I tried, but it had some non-video related
problems with NetworkManager not properly allowing the network to come
up before fstab entries for smb shares were mounted. Also strange
behavior on deja-dup unmounting smb shares after a successful backup ran.

I never got around to testing video/mythtv on it.

I'm using archinstall which simplifies the install but I have to use
systemd-networkd instead of NetworkManager.

I guess I should be glad that Arch is fiddly because with the 4th wave
of the Covid-19 virus hitting us, I'll be looking for more home bound
project for a while.

Jim A

Re: mythfrontend on ASRock NUC [ In reply to ]
On 8/2/21 2:38 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Aug 2021 21:01:57 -0400, you wrote:
>
>> I've been trying to get mythfrontend to work properly without a ton of
>> video tearing and shearing on my new ASRock NUC 1165G7. It's an 11th Gen
>> Core i7 mobile part,
>>
>> I've tried Linux Mint 20.2, Ubuntu 21.04, PopOS and all have video problems
>> and all use the Ubuntu kernel 5.11, and Xorg server.
>>
>> I was having no luck getting help with this new hardware.
>>
>> It turns out that Kodi has the same issue using the mythtv addon. I was
>> thinking it had to be related to older kernels or mesa drivers. I'm out of
>> my element here.
>>
>> Today I installed Archlinux/XFCE4 with kernel 5.13.7 and mythfrontend
>> v31.0-162 and everything is working fine as you'd expect for this much
>> hardware performance. I'm using OpenGL High Quality with 4 CPUs in all
>> this testing. Vaapi was a non-starter.
>>
>> I don't know what made this work. Was it the newer kernel, newer Xserver,
>> etc.
>> Archlinux is a lot of work to install and keep working so I'd like to move
>> back to *buntu based frontend, but not sure when this will work.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> JIm A
> Using OpenGL should work on any distro with a modern enough CPU.
> Getting VAAPI working might require a late enough kernel to have the
> latest Intel video drivers suitable for the NUC.

Recent testing on the ASRock NUC shows that if I can get a new enough
kernel to have the Intel video drivers that allow OpenGL to work, then
VAAPI works, but I mostly stay with OpenGL, even on my Ryzen 5 3600
system with an Nvidia GT 1030 GFX card.

I have moved my PCs around and now my wife has the Ryzen because the
GT1030 card works flawlessly for 2 headed "joined" displays with with
multiple user accounts and proper suspend when inactive. So I'm stuck
with the ASRock NUC in the family room with the big UHD TV. 4K behavior
with Linux is a whole other can of worms.

Jim A

Jim A

Re: mythfrontend on ASRock NUC [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 2:38 AM Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Aug 2021 21:01:57 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >I've been trying to get mythfrontend to work properly without a ton of
> >video tearing and shearing on my new ASRock NUC 1165G7. It's an 11th Gen
> >Core i7 mobile part,
> >
> >I've tried Linux Mint 20.2, Ubuntu 21.04, PopOS and all have video
> problems
> >and all use the Ubuntu kernel 5.11, and Xorg server.
> >
> >I was having no luck getting help with this new hardware.
> >
> >It turns out that Kodi has the same issue using the mythtv addon. I was
> >thinking it had to be related to older kernels or mesa drivers. I'm out of
> >my element here.
> >
> >Today I installed Archlinux/XFCE4 with kernel 5.13.7 and mythfrontend
> >v31.0-162 and everything is working fine as you'd expect for this much
> >hardware performance. I'm using OpenGL High Quality with 4 CPUs in all
> >this testing. Vaapi was a non-starter.
> >
> >I don't know what made this work. Was it the newer kernel, newer Xserver,
> >etc.
> >Archlinux is a lot of work to install and keep working so I'd like to move
> >back to *buntu based frontend, but not sure when this will work.
> >
> >Any ideas?
> >
> >JIm A
>
> Using OpenGL should work on any distro with a modern enough CPU.
> Getting VAAPI working might require a late enough kernel to have the
> latest Intel video drivers suitable for the NUC.

In the last few days the kernels and mesa software has updated across
Kubuntu, Mint, and PopOS. So now, all work with my ASRock 1165G7 NUC.

Jim A
Re: mythfrontend on ASRock NUC [ In reply to ]
> On 6 Aug 2021, at 6:38 am, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 2:38 AM Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz <mailto:stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz>> wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Aug 2021 21:01:57 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >I've been trying to get mythfrontend to work properly without a ton of
> >video tearing and shearing on my new ASRock NUC 1165G7. It's an 11th Gen
> >Core i7 mobile part,
> >
> >I've tried Linux Mint 20.2, Ubuntu 21.04, PopOS and all have video problems
> >and all use the Ubuntu kernel 5.11, and Xorg server.
> >
> >I was having no luck getting help with this new hardware.
> >
> >It turns out that Kodi has the same issue using the mythtv addon. I was
> >thinking it had to be related to older kernels or mesa drivers. I'm out of
> >my element here.
> >
> >Today I installed Archlinux/XFCE4 with kernel 5.13.7 and mythfrontend
> >v31.0-162 and everything is working fine as you'd expect for this much
> >hardware performance. I'm using OpenGL High Quality with 4 CPUs in all
> >this testing. Vaapi was a non-starter.
> >
> >I don't know what made this work. Was it the newer kernel, newer Xserver,
> >etc.
> >Archlinux is a lot of work to install and keep working so I'd like to move
> >back to *buntu based frontend, but not sure when this will work.
> >
> >Any ideas?
> >
> >JIm A
>
> Using OpenGL should work on any distro with a modern enough CPU.
> Getting VAAPI working might require a late enough kernel to have the
> latest Intel video drivers suitable for the NUC.
>

> In the last few days the kernels and mesa software has updated across Kubuntu, Mint, and PopOS. So now, all work with my ASRock 1165G7 NUC.

Jim please wax lyrical

I 've got a gen-10 nuc but I've no idea on how to do VAAPI.

Thanks
James
Re: mythfrontend on ASRock NUC [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 6:51 PM James <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:

> On 6 Aug 2021, at 6:38 am, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 2:38 AM Stephen Worthington <
> stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 1 Aug 2021 21:01:57 -0400, you wrote:
>>
>> >I've been trying to get mythfrontend to work properly without a ton of
>> >video tearing and shearing on my new ASRock NUC 1165G7. It's an 11th Gen
>> >Core i7 mobile part,
>> >
>> >I've tried Linux Mint 20.2, Ubuntu 21.04, PopOS and all have video
>> problems
>> >and all use the Ubuntu kernel 5.11, and Xorg server.
>> >
>> >I was having no luck getting help with this new hardware.
>> >
>> >It turns out that Kodi has the same issue using the mythtv addon. I was
>> >thinking it had to be related to older kernels or mesa drivers. I'm out
>> of
>> >my element here.
>> >
>> >Today I installed Archlinux/XFCE4 with kernel 5.13.7 and mythfrontend
>> >v31.0-162 and everything is working fine as you'd expect for this much
>> >hardware performance. I'm using OpenGL High Quality with 4 CPUs in all
>> >this testing. Vaapi was a non-starter.
>> >
>> >I don't know what made this work. Was it the newer kernel, newer Xserver,
>> >etc.
>> >Archlinux is a lot of work to install and keep working so I'd like to
>> move
>> >back to *buntu based frontend, but not sure when this will work.
>> >
>> >Any ideas?
>> >
>> >JIm A
>>
>> Using OpenGL should work on any distro with a modern enough CPU.
>> Getting VAAPI working might require a late enough kernel to have the
>> latest Intel video drivers suitable for the NUC.
>>

> In the last few days the kernels and mesa software has updated across
> Kubuntu, Mint, and PopOS. So now, all work with my ASRock 1165G7 NUC.
>

> Jim please wax lyrical
>
> I 've got a gen-10 nuc but I've no idea on how to do VAAPI.
>
> Thanks
> James

Well on gen-11 NUC, it has something new to me called Iris GFX. No idea if
it is good or not, but VAAPI or OpenGL in mythtv didn't work very well at
all. Both had lots of tearing in the top 20% or the screen on any motion.
It also occurred with Kodi. So I assumed it was a system software issue
like kernel or driver.

Once I got the latest Arch Linux KDE installed it worked fine with mythtv
and kodi. It didn't matter whether I chose VAAPI or OpenGL. For the last
few years I had a Ryzen 5 3600 with a Nvidia GT1080 and it worked better
with OpenGL than NVdec. The NUC is the first Intel PC I've tested with
VAAPI for a while. I'll stick with OpenGL with 4 CPUs selected.

I just remembered I have a Dell XPS 15 9500 with a Core i7-10750H which has
hybrid graphics. both Nvidiia and Intel. I leave it in the mode that only
uses Nvidia if you turn it on for gaming, so it stays Intel GFX.

I'm running Linux Mint 20..2 with the 5.11.0-25 kernel and both High
Quality OpenGL and Normal VAAPI work well on motion, but when you start a
video on VAAPI, it flashes green for a 1/2 sec before it looks fine. But
I've been advised by the experts on this mailing list that OpenGL works
best if the CPU is fast enough and certainly 10th and 11th gen Intel's are.

I liked the fact that Kubuntu 21.04 uses the 5.11 kernel out of the box and
updates to the stuff that works. On Linux MInt 20.2, after installation I
used the update manager to select the linux kernel 5.11. then everything
worked.

With PopOS, it installed fine and with the latest updates mythtv works
well. As of today all have the 5.11.0-25 kernel and a lot of mesa driver
updates.

If you have any other questions let me know.

Jim A
Re: mythfrontend on ASRock NUC [ In reply to ]
> [...]
>
> I'm running Linux Mint 20..2 with the 5.11.0-25 kernel and both High Quality OpenGL and Normal VAAPI work well on motion, but when you start a video on VAAPI, it flashes green for a 1/2 sec before it looks fine. But I've been advised by the experts on this mailing list that OpenGL works best if the CPU is fast enough and certainly 10th and 11th gen Intel's are.
>
> I liked the fact that Kubuntu 21.04 uses the 5.11 kernel out of the box and updates to the stuff that works. On Linux MInt 20.2, after installation I used the update manager to select the linux kernel 5.11. then everything worked.
>
> With PopOS, it installed fine and with the latest updates mythtv works well. As of today all have the 5.11.0-25 kernel and a lot of mesa driver updates.
>
> If you have any other questions let me know.

But Jim what do you do or say to myth to have it use VAAPI, and what must be prepared

James
Re: mythfrontend on ASRock NUC [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 7:42 PM James <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:

> Jim please wax lyrical
>>
>> I 've got a gen-10 nuc but I've no idea on how to do VAAPI.
>>
>> Thanks
>> James
>>

> Well on gen-11 NUC, it has something new to me called Iris GFX. No idea
> if it is good or not, but VAAPI or OpenGL in mythtv didn't work very well
> at all. Both had lots of tearing in the top 20% or the screen on any
> motion. It also occurred with Kodi. So I assumed it was a system software
> issue like kernel or driver.
>
> Once I got the latest Arch Linux KDE installed it worked fine with mythtv
> and kodi. It didn't matter whether I chose VAAPI or OpenGL. For the last
> few years I had a Ryzen 5 3600 with a Nvidia GT1080 and it worked better
> with OpenGL than NVdec. The NUC is the first Intel PC I've tested with
> VAAPI for a while. I'll stick with OpenGL with 4 CPUs selected.
>
> I just remembered I have a Dell XPS 15 9500 with a Core i7-10750H which
> has hybrid graphics. both Nvidiia and Intel. I leave it in the mode that
> only uses Nvidia if you turn it on for gaming, so it stays Intel GFX.
>
> I'm running Linux Mint 20..2 with the 5.11.0-25 kernel and both High
> Quality OpenGL and Normal VAAPI work well on motion, but when you start a
> video on VAAPI, it flashes green for a 1/2 sec before it looks fine. But
> I've been advised by the experts on this mailing list that OpenGL works
> best if the CPU is fast enough and certainly 10th and 11th gen Intel's are.
>
> I liked the fact that Kubuntu 21.04 uses the 5.11 kernel out of the box
> and updates to the stuff that works. On Linux MInt 20.2, after installation
> I used the update manager to select the linux kernel 5.11. then everything
> worked.
>
> With PopOS, it installed fine and with the latest updates mythtv works
> well. As of today all have the 5.11.0-25 kernel and a lot of mesa driver
> updates.
>
> If you have any other questions let me know.
>

> But Jim what do you do or say to myth to have it use VAAPI, and what must
> be prepared
>
> James

In mythfrontend, go to Setup, then Video, then Playback, then Current Video
Playback Profile. Select one of the 7 profiles. VAAPI is one of the
profiles.

Jim A
Re: mythfrontend on ASRock NUC [ In reply to ]
> On 6 Aug 2021, at 7:55 am, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 7:42 PM James <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
>
>> Jim please wax lyrical
>>
>> I 've got a gen-10 nuc but I've no idea on how to do VAAPI.
>>
>> Thanks
>> James
>>

>> Well on gen-11 NUC, it has something new to me called Iris GFX. No idea if it is good or not, but VAAPI or OpenGL in mythtv didn't work very well at all. Both had lots of tearing in the top 20% or the screen on any motion. It also occurred with Kodi. So I assumed it was a system software issue like kernel or driver.
>>
>> Once I got the latest Arch Linux KDE installed it worked fine with mythtv and kodi. It didn't matter whether I chose VAAPI or OpenGL. For the last few years I had a Ryzen 5 3600 with a Nvidia GT1080 and it worked better with OpenGL than NVdec. The NUC is the first Intel PC I've tested with VAAPI for a while. I'll stick with OpenGL with 4 CPUs selected.
>>
>> I just remembered I have a Dell XPS 15 9500 with a Core i7-10750H which has hybrid graphics. both Nvidiia and Intel. I leave it in the mode that only uses Nvidia if you turn it on for gaming, so it stays Intel GFX.
>>
>> I'm running Linux Mint 20..2 with the 5.11.0-25 kernel and both High Quality OpenGL and Normal VAAPI work well on motion, but when you start a video on VAAPI, it flashes green for a 1/2 sec before it looks fine. But I've been advised by the experts on this mailing list that OpenGL works best if the CPU is fast enough and certainly 10th and 11th gen Intel's are.
>>
>> I liked the fact that Kubuntu 21.04 uses the 5.11 kernel out of the box and updates to the stuff that works. On Linux MInt 20.2, after installation I used the update manager to select the linux kernel 5.11. then everything worked.
>>
>> With PopOS, it installed fine and with the latest updates mythtv works well. As of today all have the 5.11.0-25 kernel and a lot of mesa driver updates.
>>
>> If you have any other questions let me know.
>
> But Jim what do you do or say to myth to have it use VAAPI, and what must be prepared
>
> James
>

> In mythfrontend, go to Setup, then Video, then Playback, then Current Video Playback Profile. Select one of the 7 profiles. VAAPI is one of the profiles.

Aaah better edumakated (I better stop playing with words, appologies)

I don’t have the option which is why I've never seen it.
Now I know what to look for. Thanks

James