Mailing List Archive

Re: [Solved] Waiting for database upgrade schema lock error
Hi Folks!

Answering myself to give a couple of potential solutions to someone else
stumbling on this thread.

First, someone else had a similar problem – see “Mythfrontend database
schema upgrade lock” at
https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4481&p=22151&hilit=Waiting+for+database+upgrade+schema+lock&sid=2c5494bc0fbaffa2ff05e975b0603533#p22151
<https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4481&p=22151&hilit=Waiting+for+database+upgrade+schema+lock&sid=2c5494bc0fbaffa2ff05e975b0603533#p22151>

I intended to give that a try that but wanted to have a couple of
backups available; had several ‘But First’ issues slow my progress down.
One of them may have fixed the problem. Late this morning one of my
Ethernet Switches failed; nothing but a blue ‘on’ light. Swapped out to
get myself back on-line.

This evening intended to try the referenced thread; checked to be sure
still having problems but the Frontend went to MythTV menu properly and
is working fine! Tested and the other Frontend that was erroring now
works again! Yea!!!

So I had not rebooted the Backend; the two Frontends had been rebooted
previously but didn’t fix anything. So far me seems like the failure of
the Ethernet Switch and subsequent disconnect and reconnect of the
network wiring fixed the problem.

Barry
Re: [Solved] Waiting for database upgrade schema lock error [ In reply to ]
On 2021-07-28 7:58 p.m., Barry Martin wrote:

> Late this morning one of my Ethernet Switches failed; nothing but a blue ‘on’ light. Swapped out to
> get myself back on-line.
> ..So far me seems like the failure of the Ethernet Switch and subsequent disconnect and reconnect of the
> network wiring fixed the problem.

Proving once again, that Pournelle's First Rule applied (albeit
indirectly, treating a switch as part of the path),

"You’ll find by and large, the trouble is the cable."

Geoff

Re: [Solved] Waiting for database upgrade schema lock error [ In reply to ]
Hi Geoff!
>> Late this morning one of my Ethernet Switches failed; nothing but a blue ?on? light. Swapped out to
>> get myself back on-line.
>> ..So for me seems like the failure of the Ethernet Switch and subsequent disconnect and reconnect of the
>> network wiring fixed the problem.
> Proving once again, that Pournelle's First Rule applied (albeit
> indirectly, treating a switch as part of the path),
>
> "You?ll find by and large, the trouble is the cable."

The failing Ethernet Switch apparently was the cause of other issues
around here: my computer's CPU (is not a Frontend) would overheat when
viewing YouTube videos and warm up significantly on websites.  Since the
replacement of the Switch back to running cool; other devices around
here also had some mysterious quirks suddenly disappear.  The Frontends
here also have perked up - didn't have any playback issues, just the

Barry