Mailing List Archive

Video and sound turning off for 2 seconds then returning
This problem is most likely caused by changing HDMI inputs away from my
PC and then back again. It's more subtle than it was a few years ago
when I was chasing this on 1080P.

I've recently tried setting my PC to UHD 4K with a scale factor of 200%
on any *buntu version with 5.11 kernel so I have gfx software new enough
to support my 11th gen Intel based NUC.

This seems to help 1080 content like mythtv since the TV in UHD improved
HD content.

If I set my HDMI 2.0 switch to the NUC and boot it, my TV is rock solid
regardless of what video I play, mythtv, streaming, games, etc.

If I leave the NUC on and switch to another HDMI source and later back
to the NUC I get the occasional screen blanking and loss of audio for
about 1-2 seconds. This repeats randomly.

I can fix this by:

1. rebooting or

2. setting the screen to 1080p 100% scaling.

This sound like that old problem where you had to capture the EDID in a
file and play with xorg.conf so the settings got reset with an HDMI
event like switching.

I can't find that old discussion.  I have not had to do any such tricks
is a very long time.  This just started when I changed to 4K settings
instead of HD.  It's always been a 4K TV. I thought it might be hardware
but all the cables and switches are 4K@60 HDMI 2.0 rated.

At this point I just reboot each time I want to connect the PC to to the TV.

Any ideas??

Re: Video and sound turning off for 2 seconds then returning [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 07:27:16 -0400, you wrote:

>This problem is most likely caused by changing HDMI inputs away from my
>PC and then back again. It's more subtle than it was a few years ago
>when I was chasing this on 1080P.
>
>I've recently tried setting my PC to UHD 4K with a scale factor of 200%
>on any *buntu version with 5.11 kernel so I have gfx software new enough
>to support my 11th gen Intel based NUC.
>
>This seems to help 1080 content like mythtv since the TV in UHD improved
>HD content.
>
>If I set my HDMI 2.0 switch to the NUC and boot it, my TV is rock solid
>regardless of what video I play, mythtv, streaming, games, etc.
>
>If I leave the NUC on and switch to another HDMI source and later back
>to the NUC I get the occasional screen blanking and loss of audio for
>about 1-2 seconds. This repeats randomly.
>
>I can fix this by:
>
>1. rebooting or
>
>2. setting the screen to 1080p 100% scaling.
>
>This sound like that old problem where you had to capture the EDID in a
>file and play with xorg.conf so the settings got reset with an HDMI
>event like switching.
>
>I can't find that old discussion.? I have not had to do any such tricks
>is a very long time.? This just started when I changed to 4K settings
>instead of HD.? It's always been a 4K TV. I thought it might be hardware
>but all the cables and switches are 4K@60 HDMI 2.0 rated.
>
>At this point I just reboot each time I want to connect the PC to to the TV.
>
>Any ideas??

You could get a better HDMI switch - I think there are ones that will
remember the EDID data and emulate the presence of the TV on any ports
where the real TV is not connected. Full KVM switches seem to usually
have that feature. But good HDMI KVM switches are not cheap.
Re: Video and sound turning off for 2 seconds then returning [ In reply to ]
On 7/25/21 8:18 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 07:27:16 -0400, you wrote:
>
>> This problem is most likely caused by changing HDMI inputs away from my
>> PC and then back again. It's more subtle than it was a few years ago
>> when I was chasing this on 1080P.
>>
>> I've recently tried setting my PC to UHD 4K with a scale factor of 200%
>> on any *buntu version with 5.11 kernel so I have gfx software new enough
>> to support my 11th gen Intel based NUC.
>>
>> This seems to help 1080 content like mythtv since the TV in UHD improved
>> HD content.
>>
>> If I set my HDMI 2.0 switch to the NUC and boot it, my TV is rock solid
>> regardless of what video I play, mythtv, streaming, games, etc.
>>
>> If I leave the NUC on and switch to another HDMI source and later back
>> to the NUC I get the occasional screen blanking and loss of audio for
>> about 1-2 seconds. This repeats randomly.
>>
>> I can fix this by:
>>
>> 1. rebooting or
>>
>> 2. setting the screen to 1080p 100% scaling.
>>
>> This sound like that old problem where you had to capture the EDID in a
>> file and play with xorg.conf so the settings got reset with an HDMI
>> event like switching.
>>
>> I can't find that old discussion.  I have not had to do any such tricks
>> is a very long time.  This just started when I changed to 4K settings
>> instead of HD.  It's always been a 4K TV. I thought it might be hardware
>> but all the cables and switches are 4K@60 HDMI 2.0 rated.
>>
>> At this point I just reboot each time I want to connect the PC to to the TV.
>>
>> Any ideas??
> You could get a better HDMI switch - I think there are ones that will
> remember the EDID data and emulate the presence of the TV on any ports
> where the real TV is not connected. Full KVM switches seem to usually
> have that feature. But good HDMI KVM switches are not cheap.

The switch I picked was about $40 and worked great until I started
testing at 4K@60. I tried using the second HDMI on the TV but had issues
with that, so I didn't spend a lot of time with it. Since I split the
output of the switch with a HDMI 2.0 digital audio extractor. I didn't
want to go that route.

the switch I use is

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MCS9PJD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jim A

Re: Video and sound turning off for 2 seconds then returning [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 09:17:35 -0400, you wrote:

>On 7/25/21 8:18 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 07:27:16 -0400, you wrote:
>>
>>> This problem is most likely caused by changing HDMI inputs away from my
>>> PC and then back again. It's more subtle than it was a few years ago
>>> when I was chasing this on 1080P.
>>>
>>> I've recently tried setting my PC to UHD 4K with a scale factor of 200%
>>> on any *buntu version with 5.11 kernel so I have gfx software new enough
>>> to support my 11th gen Intel based NUC.
>>>
>>> This seems to help 1080 content like mythtv since the TV in UHD improved
>>> HD content.
>>>
>>> If I set my HDMI 2.0 switch to the NUC and boot it, my TV is rock solid
>>> regardless of what video I play, mythtv, streaming, games, etc.
>>>
>>> If I leave the NUC on and switch to another HDMI source and later back
>>> to the NUC I get the occasional screen blanking and loss of audio for
>>> about 1-2 seconds. This repeats randomly.
>>>
>>> I can fix this by:
>>>
>>> 1. rebooting or
>>>
>>> 2. setting the screen to 1080p 100% scaling.
>>>
>>> This sound like that old problem where you had to capture the EDID in a
>>> file and play with xorg.conf so the settings got reset with an HDMI
>>> event like switching.
>>>
>>> I can't find that old discussion.? I have not had to do any such tricks
>>> is a very long time.? This just started when I changed to 4K settings
>>> instead of HD.? It's always been a 4K TV. I thought it might be hardware
>>> but all the cables and switches are 4K@60 HDMI 2.0 rated.
>>>
>>> At this point I just reboot each time I want to connect the PC to to the TV.
>>>
>>> Any ideas??
>> You could get a better HDMI switch - I think there are ones that will
>> remember the EDID data and emulate the presence of the TV on any ports
>> where the real TV is not connected. Full KVM switches seem to usually
>> have that feature. But good HDMI KVM switches are not cheap.
>
>The switch I picked was about $40 and worked great until I started
>testing at 4K@60. I tried using the second HDMI on the TV but had issues
>with that, so I didn't spend a lot of time with it. Since I split the
>output of the switch with a HDMI 2.0 digital audio extractor. I didn't
>want to go that route.
>
>the switch I use is
>
>https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MCS9PJD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>
>Jim A

There is no sign on that page of EDID support, so it likely does not
have it. HDMI switches with EDID support normally tell you as it is
an important feature, and justifies higher cost.
Re: Video and sound turning off for 2 seconds then returning [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 10:24 AM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 09:17:35 -0400, you wrote:

> enough

> improved

> hardware

> the TV.

> >> You could get a better HDMI switch - I think there are ones that will
> >> remember the EDID data and emulate the presence of the TV on any ports
> >> where the real TV is not connected. Full KVM switches seem to usually
> >> have that feature. But good HDMI KVM switches are not cheap.
> >
> >The switch I picked was about $40 and worked great until I started
> >testing at 4K@60. I tried using the second HDMI on the TV but had issues
> >with that, so I didn't spend a lot of time with it. Since I split the
> >output of the switch with a HDMI 2.0 digital audio extractor. I didn't
> >want to go that route.
> >
> >the switch I use is
> >

> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MCS9PJD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
> >
> >Jim A
>
> There is no sign on that page of EDID support, so it likely does not
> have it. HDMI switches with EDID support normally tell you as it is
> an important feature, and justifies higher cost.
>
> I did an experiment. I plugged in my NUC PC directly to my HDMI2 TV port.
I could not see anything until I changed the HDMI UHD color setting to turn
OFF HDMI 2.0. At that point I could see the PC desktop, but it was only
4K@30. To get 4K@60 I have to turn on HDMI 2.0 support.

So now I'm back on my HDMI 2.0 Switch and HDMI 2.0 support is turned on for
that HDMI1 port. The PC is set to 4K@60 and the TV info shows 4K@60. I also
have a Nividia Shield TV connected to the switch and it works at full 4K@60.

While trying to write this email the screen has blanked out for a second
twice.

Rebooting seems to be my only choice. However, I'm very curious why the PC
directly connected to the TV HDMI2 port can run 4K@60 with the TV in HDMI
2.0 mode??

Since the EDID switches are expensive and so are newer UHD TV's, I'm stuff
for now.

Jim A
Re: Video and sound turning off for 2 seconds then returning [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 11:04:36 -0400, you wrote:

>On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 10:24 AM Stephen Worthington <
>stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

>> enough

>> improved

>> hardware

>> the TV.

>> >The switch I picked was about $40 and worked great until I started
>> >testing at 4K@60. I tried using the second HDMI on the TV but had issues
>> >with that, so I didn't spend a lot of time with it. Since I split the
>> >output of the switch with a HDMI 2.0 digital audio extractor. I didn't
>> >want to go that route.
>> >
>> >the switch I use is
>> >

>> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MCS9PJD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>> >
>> >Jim A
>>
>> There is no sign on that page of EDID support, so it likely does not
>> have it. HDMI switches with EDID support normally tell you as it is
>> an important feature, and justifies higher cost.
>>
>> I did an experiment. I plugged in my NUC PC directly to my HDMI2 TV port.
>I could not see anything until I changed the HDMI UHD color setting to turn
>OFF HDMI 2.0. At that point I could see the PC desktop, but it was only
>4K@30. To get 4K@60 I have to turn on HDMI 2.0 support.
>
>So now I'm back on my HDMI 2.0 Switch and HDMI 2.0 support is turned on for
>that HDMI1 port. The PC is set to 4K@60 and the TV info shows 4K@60. I also
>have a Nividia Shield TV connected to the switch and it works at full 4K@60.
>
>While trying to write this email the screen has blanked out for a second
>twice.
>
>Rebooting seems to be my only choice. However, I'm very curious why the PC
>directly connected to the TV HDMI2 port can run 4K@60 with the TV in HDMI
>2.0 mode??
>
>Since the EDID switches are expensive and so are newer UHD TV's, I'm stuff
>for now.
>
>Jim A

If it is an EDID problem, you can always just copy the EDID data and
tell set up the xorg.conf to point to it. In Ubuntu, install the
read-edid package and run:

get-edid >edid.bin

Put the edid.bin file into /etc/X11, then make the Device section of
/etx/X11/xorg.conf look something like this:

Section "Device"
Identifier "nvidia"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-0"
Option "CustomEDID" "DFP-0:/etc/X11/edid.bin"
Option "IgnoreEDID" "false"
Option "UseEDID" "true"
EndSection

Change the DFP-0 to match what you see in /var/log/Xorg.0.log, and use
the matching Identifier and Driver names.
Re: Video and sound turning off for 2 seconds then returning [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 12:38 PM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 11:04:36 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 10:24 AM Stephen Worthington <
> >stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> from my

> 200%
> >> enough

> >> improved

> solid

> back
> for

> in a

> tricks
> settings
> >> hardware

> >> the TV.

> ports
> usually

> issues

> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MCS9PJD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

> >> There is no sign on that page of EDID support, so it likely does not
> >> have it. HDMI switches with EDID support normally tell you as it is
> >> an important feature, and justifies higher cost.
> >>
> >> I did an experiment. I plugged in my NUC PC directly to my HDMI2 TV
> port.
> >I could not see anything until I changed the HDMI UHD color setting to
> turn
> >OFF HDMI 2.0. At that point I could see the PC desktop, but it was only
> >4K@30. To get 4K@60 I have to turn on HDMI 2.0 support.
> >
> >So now I'm back on my HDMI 2.0 Switch and HDMI 2.0 support is turned on
> for
> >that HDMI1 port. The PC is set to 4K@60 and the TV info shows 4K@60. I
> also
> >have a Nividia Shield TV connected to the switch and it works at full
> 4K@60.
> >
> >While trying to write this email the screen has blanked out for a second
> >twice.
> >
> >Rebooting seems to be my only choice. However, I'm very curious why the
> PC
> >directly connected to the TV HDMI2 port can run 4K@60 with the TV in HDMI
> >2.0 mode??
> >
> >Since the EDID switches are expensive and so are newer UHD TV's, I'm stuff
> >for now.
> >
> >Jim A
>
> If it is an EDID problem, you can always just copy the EDID data and
> tell set up the xorg.conf to point to it. In Ubuntu, install the
> read-edid package and run:
>
> get-edid >edid.bin
>
> Put the edid.bin file into /etc/X11, then make the Device section of
> /etx/X11/xorg.conf look something like this:
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "nvidia"
> Driver "nvidia"
> Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-0"
> Option "CustomEDID" "DFP-0:/etc/X11/edid.bin"
> Option "IgnoreEDID" "false"
> Option "UseEDID" "true"
> EndSection
>
> Change the DFP-0 to match what you see in /var/log/Xorg.0.log, and use
> the matching Identifier and Driver names.

So currently I don't have an xorg.conf. So how is the correct way to
create it so I can change the Device section?

Also my system only has the Intel Xe Graphics.

FYI my Xorg.log is at: "/home/jim/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.1.log"

Checking there I think the DFP-0 should be HDMI-1

[ 30.185] (II) modeset(0): EDID for output DP-1
[ 30.227] (II) modeset(0): EDID for output HDMI-2
[ 30.227] (II) modeset(0): EDID for output DP-2
[ 30.227] (II) modeset(0): EDID for output DP-3
[ 30.227] (II) modeset(0): Output HDMI-1 connected
[ 30.227] (II) modeset(0): Output DP-1 disconnected
[ 30.227] (II) modeset(0): Output HDMI-2 disconnected
[ 30.227] (II) modeset(0): Output DP-2 disconnected
[ 30.227] (II) modeset(0): Output DP-3 disconnected

Jim A
Re: Video and sound turning off for 2 seconds then returning [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 14:16:51 -0400, you wrote:

> [...]
>> EndSection
>>
>> Change the DFP-0 to match what you see in /var/log/Xorg.0.log, and use
>> the matching Identifier and Driver names.
>>

>So currently I don't have an xorg.conf. So how is the correct way to
>create it so I can change the Device section?
>
>Also my system only has the Intel Xe Graphics.
>
>FYI my Xorg.log is at: "/home/jim/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.1.log"
>
>Checking there I think the DFP-0 should be HDMI-1
>
>[ 30.185] (II) modeset(0): EDID for output DP-1
>[ 30.227] (II) modeset(0): EDID for output HDMI-2
>[ 30.227] (II) modeset(0): EDID for output DP-2
>[ 30.227] (II) modeset(0): EDID for output DP-3
>[ 30.227] (II) modeset(0): Output HDMI-1 connected
>[ 30.227] (II) modeset(0): Output DP-1 disconnected
>[ 30.227] (II) modeset(0): Output HDMI-2 disconnected
>[ 30.227] (II) modeset(0): Output DP-2 disconnected
>[ 30.227] (II) modeset(0): Output DP-3 disconnected

You will need to create a bare-bones xorg.conf manually. There are
automated ways of doing it (eg "X -configure" from a TTY with the
desktop shut down), but they will create far too much configuration
with detailed settings for everything. What you want is just to
specify the minimum, add your EDID bits, and leave the rest to be set
up automatically by X. A template for what you need is here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config

You will need to look at the relevant Xorg.*.log file to find the
names being used for everything. As well as referencing the hardware
devices, they are used to match the sections of config together, so
the "Monitor" name in the "Screen" section needs to reference the
"Identifier" name you used in the "Monitor" section. There are heaps
of examples of xorg.conf files posted on the net to look at, but do
not be tempted to just copy one as that never works due to the names
not matching.

BTW I am surprised that your Xorg.1.log file is using 1 for the
display number. That normally only happens if you are running more
than one display - the first display is usually numbered 0. So it
might pay to see if you do have an Xorg.0.log file somewhere. If you
have the mlocate package installed, run "updatedb" and then "locate
Xorg.0.log". And check the timestamp on the log file to make sure it
is the one that X is currently writing to.
Re: Video and sound turning off for 2 seconds then returning [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2021-07-26 at 14:39 +1200, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> [...]
> devices, they are used to match the sections of config together, so
> the "Monitor" name in the "Screen" section needs to reference the
> "Identifier" name you used in the "Monitor" section.  There are heaps
> of examples of xorg.conf files posted on the net to look at, but do
> not be tempted to just copy one as that never works due to the names
> not matching.
>
> BTW I am surprised that your Xorg.1.log file is using 1 for the
> display number.  That normally only happens if you are running more
> than one display - the first display is usually numbered 0.  So it
> might pay to see if you do have an Xorg.0.log file somewhere.  If you
> have the mlocate package installed, run "updatedb" and then "locate
> Xorg.0.log".  And check the timestamp on the log file to make sure it
> is the one that X is currently writing to.

You don't need an full xorg.conf file any longer. You can put just the
non-default bits you need in individual files in the xorg.conf.d
directory, although I believe the files have to start with a two digit
number and end with ".conf', i.e. 50-xorg-tweaks-intel.conf. Your call
on whether to use one file or multiple. On my system with an Intel
HD500 I have 'Option "HotPlug" "false"' in the Monitor section. This
might help the screen blanking with your Intel Xe Graphics. That sounds
like it could be monitor auto-detection kicking in. What does your log
file say when the blanking happens?

The other way to set the EDID is from the kernel command line. You can
add "drm.edid_firmware=<yourEdidFilename>" to the kernel arguments in
grub. The file name is relative to the /lib/firmware directory. I have
my system set up this way, although I can't remember what forced me to
this from the xorg.conf.d method that I had been using for years. (I
can't tell from the earlier discussion whether you have multiple
displays, and I don't know what this assignment would do with multiple
displays. I assume it would assign them all the same edid file.)

David

Re: Video and sound turning off for 2 seconds then returning [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the suggestions. What I'm testing right now is using an
edid.bin file.
I stopped gdm.service while at a console and generated it. I put the
edid.bin in /etc/X11/ along with my xorg.conf file below:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "intel"
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "HMMI-1"
Option "CustomEDID" "HDMI-1:/etc/X11/edid.bin"
Option "IgnoreEDID" "false"
Option "UseEDID" "true"
EndSection

It seemed to take effect because if I compare the log files with and
without my xorg.conf file I see that it doesn't scan and print out the EDID
as it does in the standard boot.

So it's working now, I'll just test switching away from the PC with the
Switch to see if it truly works.

Again, thanks all for your help.

Jim A
Re: Video and sound turning off for 2 seconds then returning [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 9:16 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions. What I'm testing right now is using an
> edid.bin file.
> I stopped gdm.service while at a console and generated it. I put the
> edid.bin in /etc/X11/ along with my xorg.conf file below:
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Card0"
> Driver "intel"
> Option "ConnectedMonitor" "HMMI-1"
> Option "CustomEDID" "HDMI-1:/etc/X11/edid.bin"
> Option "IgnoreEDID" "false"
> Option "UseEDID" "true"
> EndSection
>
> It seemed to take effect because if I compare the log files with and
> without my xorg.conf file I see that it doesn't scan and print out the EDID
> as it does in the standard boot.
>
> So it's working now, I'll just test switching away from the PC with the
> Switch to see if it truly works.
>
> Again, thanks all for your help.
>
> Jim A

I've been working the PC hard with multiple workspaces/tiled windows/
stacked windows, streaming music, etc. after having switched the TV away
from the PC to my Shield TV for 1/2 hour. Switching back worked for now.
More testing in the offing, but I think it may have been an EDID problem as
suggested.

Jim A
Re: Video and sound turning off for 2 seconds then returning [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 26 Jul 2021 09:16:48 -0400, you wrote:

>Thanks for the suggestions. What I'm testing right now is using an
>edid.bin file.
>I stopped gdm.service while at a console and generated it. I put the
>edid.bin in /etc/X11/ along with my xorg.conf file below:
>
>Section "Device"
> Identifier "Card0"
> Driver "intel"
> Option "ConnectedMonitor" "HMMI-1"
> Option "CustomEDID" "HDMI-1:/etc/X11/edid.bin"
> Option "IgnoreEDID" "false"
> Option "UseEDID" "true"
>EndSection
>
>It seemed to take effect because if I compare the log files with and
>without my xorg.conf file I see that it doesn't scan and print out the EDID
>as it does in the standard boot.
>
>So it's working now, I'll just test switching away from the PC with the
>Switch to see if it truly works.
>
>Again, thanks all for your help.
>
>Jim A

I can see a typo there - "HMMI-1" should be "HDMI-1".
Re: Video and sound turning off for 2 seconds then returning [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 11:05 AM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jul 2021 09:16:48 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >Thanks for the suggestions. What I'm testing right now is using an
> >edid.bin file.
> >I stopped gdm.service while at a console and generated it. I put the
> >edid.bin in /etc/X11/ along with my xorg.conf file below:
> >
> >Section "Device"
> > Identifier "Card0"
> > Driver "intel"
> > Option "ConnectedMonitor" "HMMI-1"
> > Option "CustomEDID" "HDMI-1:/etc/X11/edid.bin"
> > Option "IgnoreEDID" "false"
> > Option "UseEDID" "true"
> >EndSection
> >
> >It seemed to take effect because if I compare the log files with and
> >without my xorg.conf file I see that it doesn't scan and print out the
> EDID
> >as it does in the standard boot.
> >
> >So it's working now, I'll just test switching away from the PC with the
> >Switch to see if it truly works.
> >
> >Again, thanks all for your help.
> >
> >Jim A
>
> I can see a typo there - "HMMI-1" should be "HDMI-1".

Thanks, I fixed it and rebooted. No change. Still working. Xserver must
have a do_what_I_mean subroutine. :-)

Jim A
Re: Video and sound turning off for 2 seconds then returning [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 11:25 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 11:05 AM Stephen Worthington <
> stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 26 Jul 2021 09:16:48 -0400, you wrote:
>>
>> >Thanks for the suggestions. What I'm testing right now is using an
>> >edid.bin file.
>> >I stopped gdm.service while at a console and generated it. I put the
>> >edid.bin in /etc/X11/ along with my xorg.conf file below:
>> >
>> >Section "Device"
>> > Identifier "Card0"
>> > Driver "intel"
>> > Option "ConnectedMonitor" "HMMI-1"
>> > Option "CustomEDID" "HDMI-1:/etc/X11/edid.bin"
>> > Option "IgnoreEDID" "false"
>> > Option "UseEDID" "true"
>> >EndSection
>> >
>> >It seemed to take effect because if I compare the log files with and
>> >without my xorg.conf file I see that it doesn't scan and print out the
>> EDID
>> >as it does in the standard boot.
>> >
>> >So it's working now, I'll just test switching away from the PC with the
>> >Switch to see if it truly works.
>> >
>> >Again, thanks all for your help.
>> >
>> >Jim A
>>
>> I can see a typo there - "HMMI-1" should be "HDMI-1".
>>

> Thanks, I fixed it and rebooted. No change. Still working. Xserver must
> have a do_what_I_mean subroutine. :-)
>
> Jim A

I thought this solution sounded familiar so I checked some of my saved
files for my Raspberry Pi 4. Apparently I had the problem there and I used
a utility to capture the EDID and load it at boot using a parameter in the
/boot/config.txt file used by the RPi4

Jim A
Re: Video and sound turning off for 2 seconds then returning [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 26 Jul 2021 11:25:22 -0400, you wrote:

>On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 11:05 AM Stephen Worthington <
>stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 26 Jul 2021 09:16:48 -0400, you wrote:
>>
>> >Thanks for the suggestions. What I'm testing right now is using an
>> >edid.bin file.
>> >I stopped gdm.service while at a console and generated it. I put the
>> >edid.bin in /etc/X11/ along with my xorg.conf file below:
>> >
>> >Section "Device"
>> > Identifier "Card0"
>> > Driver "intel"
>> > Option "ConnectedMonitor" "HMMI-1"
>> > Option "CustomEDID" "HDMI-1:/etc/X11/edid.bin"
>> > Option "IgnoreEDID" "false"
>> > Option "UseEDID" "true"
>> >EndSection
>> >
>> >It seemed to take effect because if I compare the log files with and
>> >without my xorg.conf file I see that it doesn't scan and print out the
>> EDID
>> >as it does in the standard boot.
>> >
>> >So it's working now, I'll just test switching away from the PC with the
>> >Switch to see if it truly works.
>> >
>> >Again, thanks all for your help.
>> >
>> >Jim A
>>
>> I can see a typo there - "HMMI-1" should be "HDMI-1".
>>

>Thanks, I fixed it and rebooted. No change. Still working. Xserver must
>have a do_what_I_mean subroutine. :-)
>
>Jim A

My guess is that the "ConnectedMonitor" option is not necessary as the
"CustomEDID" option has HDMI-1: in it, so X just ignored the bad
"ConnectedMonitor" option. If so, the "ConnectedMonitor" line could
just be removed and it should still work.
Re: Video and sound turning off for 2 seconds then returning [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 8:56 PM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jul 2021 11:25:22 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 11:05 AM Stephen Worthington <
> >stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> >> EDID

> >> I can see a typo there - "HMMI-1" should be "HDMI-1".
> >>

> >Thanks, I fixed it and rebooted. No change. Still working. Xserver must
> >have a do_what_I_mean subroutine. :-)
> >
> >Jim A
>
> My guess is that the "ConnectedMonitor" option is not necessary as the
> "CustomEDID" option has HDMI-1: in it, so X just ignored the bad
> "ConnectedMonitor" option. If so, the "ConnectedMonitor" line could
> just be removed and it should still work.

I removed that option and it still is working, so as you suggested, it's
not needed.

Jim A
Re: Video and sound turning off for 2 seconds then returning [ In reply to ]
Somewhere along the way of testing I screwed up and got the problem back.
So I went back to the xorg.conf produced by X -configure and then just
added my changes.

This time I included the Option "HotPlug" "false". The complete xorg.conf
I'm using is below. The xorg.1.log looks better and more understandable.
It indicates all the changes I want. So I'm going to test this for a few
days.

Jiim A

Section "ServerLayout"

Re: Video and sound turning off for 2 seconds then returning [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 11:29 PM David Hampton via mythtv-users <
mythtv-users@mythtv.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2021-07-26 at 14:39 +1200, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> > On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 14:16:51 -0400, you wrote:
> >

> > You will need to create a bare-bones xorg.conf manually. There are
> > automated ways of doing it (eg "X -configure" from a TTY with the
> > desktop shut down), but they will create far too much configuration
> > with detailed settings for everything. What you want is just to
> > specify the minimum, add your EDID bits, and leave the rest to be set
> > up automatically by X. A template for what you need is here:
> >
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config
> >
> > You will need to look at the relevant Xorg.*.log file to find the
> > names being used for everything. As well as referencing the hardware
> > devices, they are used to match the sections of config together, so
> > the "Monitor" name in the "Screen" section needs to reference the
> > "Identifier" name you used in the "Monitor" section. There are heaps
> > of examples of xorg.conf files posted on the net to look at, but do
> > not be tempted to just copy one as that never works due to the names
> > not matching.
> >
> > BTW I am surprised that your Xorg.1.log file is using 1 for the
> > display number. That normally only happens if you are running more
> > than one display - the first display is usually numbered 0. So it
> > might pay to see if you do have an Xorg.0.log file somewhere. If you
> > have the mlocate package installed, run "updatedb" and then "locate
> > Xorg.0.log". And check the timestamp on the log file to make sure it
> > is the one that X is currently writing to.
>
> You don't need an full xorg.conf file any longer. You can put just the
> non-default bits you need in individual files in the xorg.conf.d
> directory, although I believe the files have to start with a two digit
> number and end with ".conf', i.e. 50-xorg-tweaks-intel.conf. Your call
> on whether to use one file or multiple. On my system with an Intel
> HD500 I have 'Option "HotPlug" "false"' in the Monitor section. This
> might help the screen blanking with your Intel Xe Graphics. That sounds
> like it could be monitor auto-detection kicking in. What does your log
> file say when the blanking happens?
>
> The other way to set the EDID is from the kernel command line. You can
> add "drm.edid_firmware=<yourEdidFilename>" to the kernel arguments in
> grub. The file name is relative to the /lib/firmware directory. I have
> my system set up this way, although I can't remember what forced me to
> this from the xorg.conf.d method that I had been using for years. (I
> can't tell from the earlier discussion whether you have multiple
> displays, and I don't know what this assignment would do with multiple
> displays. I assume it would assign them all the same edid file.)
>
> David

David, I think the Option "HotPlug" " false" had a big effect on how
quick the TV responses when switched back to the PC.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Jim A