Wayland working so I thought I'd play with it, but for Mythfrontend I have
to use X11 which isn't a big deal, just curious.

Jim A
Re: Wayland support?? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 18 Jul 2021 09:11:50 -0400, you wrote:

>This may not be supported, but I'll describe what I'm testing and seeing.
>
>I'm testing the latest Archlinux with KDE Plasma DE. By default it logs in
>with Wayland. It worked so I didn't choose the X11 option at login. When I
>installed mythtv and ran mythfrontend I noticed that the entire mythtv
>screen was in the lower left corner and only occupying 1/4 of the screen.
>
>I'm hooked on a UHD 4K TV. I have the DE scale factor set to 200%. The PC
>is a ASRock IND NUC 1167G5 (11th gen Core i7 laptop CPU/GPU.
>
>When I change to X11 instead of Wayland I see what I normally expect.
>Mythfrontend filling the entire screen.
>
>This was the first install that I've done where I could even login with
>Wayland working so I thought I'd play with it, but for Mythfrontend I have
>to use X11 which isn't a big deal, just curious.
>
>Jim A

When I accidentally ran mythfrontend on Wayland (Fedora 33? 34?), I
found some log messages that said mythfrontend was using an API call
that Wayland did not support. Switching to X11 fixed it, of course.
Re: Wayland support?? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 1:02 PM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Jul 2021 09:11:50 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >This may not be supported, but I'll describe what I'm testing and seeing.
> >
> >I'm testing the latest Archlinux with KDE Plasma DE. By default it logs
> in
> >with Wayland. It worked so I didn't choose the X11 option at login. When
> >installed mythtv and ran mythfrontend I noticed that the entire mythtv
> >screen was in the lower left corner and only occupying 1/4 of the screen.
> >
> >I'm hooked on a UHD 4K TV. I have the DE scale factor set to 200%. The
> PC
> >is a ASRock IND NUC 1167G5 (11th gen Core i7 laptop CPU/GPU.
> >
> >When I change to X11 instead of Wayland I see what I normally expect.
> >Mythfrontend filling the entire screen.
> >
> >This was the first install that I've done where I could even login with
> >Wayland working so I thought I'd play with it, but for Mythfrontend I have
> >to use X11 which isn't a big deal, just curious.
> >
> >Jim A
>
> When I accidentally ran mythfrontend on Wayland (Fedora 33? 34?), I
> found some log messages that said mythfrontend was using an API call
> that Wayland did not support. Switching to X11 fixed it, of course.

It's easy to switch back to X11 for now, but I'm wondering about a year
from now. Archlinux's Gnome 40.2.0 defaults to Wayland and it works, but
not sure when X11 won't be an option.

Edit /etc/gdm/custom.conf file and uncomment the following line:
#WaylandEnable=false

Jim A
Re: Wayland support?? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 4:00 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 1:02 PM Stephen Worthington <
> stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 18 Jul 2021 09:11:50 -0400, you wrote:
>>
>> >This may not be supported, but I'll describe what I'm testing and seeing.
>> >
>> >I'm testing the latest Archlinux with KDE Plasma DE. By default it logs
>> in
>> >with Wayland. It worked so I didn't choose the X11 option at login.
>> When I
>> >installed mythtv and ran mythfrontend I noticed that the entire mythtv
>> >screen was in the lower left corner and only occupying 1/4 of the screen.
>> >
>> >I'm hooked on a UHD 4K TV. I have the DE scale factor set to 200%. The
>> PC
>> >is a ASRock IND NUC 1167G5 (11th gen Core i7 laptop CPU/GPU.
>> >
>> >When I change to X11 instead of Wayland I see what I normally expect.
>> >Mythfrontend filling the entire screen.
>> >
>> >This was the first install that I've done where I could even login with
>> >Wayland working so I thought I'd play with it, but for Mythfrontend I
>> have
>> >to use X11 which isn't a big deal, just curious.
>> >
>> >Jim A
>>
>> When I accidentally ran mythfrontend on Wayland (Fedora 33? 34?), I
>> found some log messages that said mythfrontend was using an API call
>> that Wayland did not support. Switching to X11 fixed it, of course.
>>

> It's easy to switch back to X11 for now, but I'm wondering about a year
> from now. Archlinux's Gnome 40.2.0 defaults to Wayland and it works, but
> not sure when X11 won't be an option.
>
> Edit /etc/gdm/custom.conf file and uncomment the following line:
> #WaylandEnable=false
>
> Jim A
>
> I finally was able to install Ubuntu 21.04 on this ASRock IND 1157G5. The
secret was to turn off HDR/HDMI 2.0 setting in my TV until I had everything
installed.

However, mythtv frontend ran way too slow under Wayland. Once I switched
back to X11 as described above, mythfrontend worked fine.

Jim A