Mailing List Archive

1 2 3 4  View All
Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
> On 15 Jul 2021, at 6:59 pm, Werner Mahr <werner@vollstreckernet.de> wrote:
>
> Am Freitag, 4. Juni 2021, 15:17:48 CEST schrieb Paul Harrison:
>
>> Give us your thoughts on what direction you would like to see MythTV
>> take now it's original purpose is slowing being killed of.
>
> With a bit delay I remembered a little problem. I have one BE with 3 FEs. When
> rescanning for new additions I have to exit and reenter the video library to
> get the new episodes on the other FEs. Would be nice if there would be a
> signal or marker for updated collection to let the other ones updated their
> cache.

Werner would you use more words please :-)
If I scan in Videos all backends see the addition. Because of fumbles in the mac frontend which I mostly use it does not retrive metadata. My normal use is to scan and retrieve on a linux frontend and the macs just inherit the entries.
There was an ongoing issue with metadata. I compile my own be/fe a recent gil pull and all works.
It is easy to build from src, harder to package so I build on each frontend. (rather than package debs and rpm)
James

Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
Am Donnerstag, 15. Juli 2021, 13:31:15 CEST schrieb James:
> > On 15 Jul 2021, at 6:59 pm, Werner Mahr <werner@vollstreckernet.de> wrote:
> >
> > Am Freitag, 4. Juni 2021, 15:17:48 CEST schrieb Paul Harrison:
> >> Give us your thoughts on what direction you would like to see MythTV
> >> take now it's original purpose is slowing being killed of.
> >
> > With a bit delay I remembered a little problem. I have one BE with 3 FEs.
> > When rescanning for new additions I have to exit and reenter the video
> > library to get the new episodes on the other FEs. Would be nice if there
> > would be a signal or marker for updated collection to let the other ones
> > updated their cache.
>
> Werner would you use more words please :-)
> If I scan in Videos all backends see the addition.

Sure, but the frontend that are already running don't. I just turn off the
Screen and the frontend just stays at the last watched episode until I
continue. And without exiting the videolibrary, this frontend doesn't notice
any changes. Same apllies to watched-state which isn't a problem for me, as I
use different rooms for different series (vintage cartoons while ironing and
recent series in the living room).

I mostly scan for changes in my office, as it's easier to fix wrong metadata and
images with keyboard and mouse, but the frontend in the livingroom just
doesn't notice this.

--
MfG usw.

Werner Mahr

Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
> On 15 Jul 2021, at 8:46 pm, Werner Mahr <werner@vollstreckernet.de> wrote:
>
> Am Donnerstag, 15. Juli 2021, 13:31:15 CEST schrieb James:

>>> With a bit delay I remembered a little problem. I have one BE with 3 FEs.
>>> When rescanning for new additions I have to exit and reenter the video
>>> library to get the new episodes on the other FEs. Would be nice if there
>>> would be a signal or marker for updated collection to let the other ones
>>> updated their cache.
>>
>> Werner would you use more words please :-)
>> If I scan in Videos all backends see the addition.
>
> Sure, but the frontend that are already running don't. I just turn off the
> Screen and the frontend just stays at the last watched episode until I
> continue. And without exiting the videolibrary, this frontend doesn't notice
> any changes. Same apllies to watched-state which isn't a problem for me, as I
> use different rooms for different series (vintage cartoons while ironing and
> recent series in the living room).
>
> I mostly scan for changes in my office, as it's easier to fix wrong metadata and
> images with keyboard and mouse, but the frontend in the livingroom just
> doesn't notice this.

Werner
I alway <esc> to top level before leaving a frontend.
If I am in the library it does not dynamically update.
James
Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
Am Donnerstag, 15. Juli 2021, 15:13:50 CEST schrieb James:

> Werner
> I alway <esc> to top level before leaving a frontend.

Jep, me not.

> If I am in the library it does not dynamically update.

Exactly this is what annoys me. I don't know if it's possible to send a signal
to the frontend without further interaction from this side, but maybe a field
in the db with the timestamp from the last update would be nice. So the
frontend could periodically (10 or 15 minutes) do quick check if the cache is
still uptodate.

Given, this no showstopper but would be a nice addition.

--
MfG usw.

Werner Mahr