Mailing List Archive

Fwd: Where are channel icons kept? [resolved]
> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: stinga <stinga+mythtv@wolf-rock.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Where are channel icons kept? [resolved]
> Date: 15 July 2021 at 7:59:43 pm AWST
> To: mythtv-users@mythtv.org
>
> On 15/07/2021 19:41, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
>> I beg to differ:
>>
>> $ locate 10.png| grep /10.png|wc -l
>> 19
>> sudo locate 10.png| grep /10.png|wc -l
>> 21
>>
>> 'locate' will not show files that the user does not have permission to see.
> I do as well...
>
> root@mythtv:~# ll zxzx
> ---------- 1 root root 0 Jul 15 19:55 zxzx
>
> root@mythtv:~# locate zxzx
> /root/zxzx
>

> mythtv@mythtv:~$ locate zxzx
> /root/zxzx

Actually 'tis trickier than 1st appearance

locate db is built by ROOT
locate reads the db not the file (which everyone can)

so
$ sudo rm zxzx
$ locate zxzx will incorrectly (today, until the locate db daemon next runs) say /root/zxzx

Being an auld fart I'd never dream of using locate, please excuse words said in haste that are wrong!
james