Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: Can't connect to remote backend database (again) [ In reply to ]

> It is possible that you are misunderstanding the function of the device
> you link to. (It is also
> possible that I am misunderstanding it!)
>
> From my reading of the very sketchy description, this device is designed
> for locations where a WiFi
> signal is poor or non-existent. Therefore, I would think that all it has
> is a mini-WiFi access point
> from which the Chromecast can get a local signal.
>
> It won't be sending Ethernet up the power cable, if that's what you
> assumed.

Hi Mike, I think it's highly likely I misunderstood the function of the
device! I did believe it sent ethernet up the cable, but now I think about
that I can see that was mistaken.

But how does that explain Mythfrontend not being able to connect to the
database when using it?

Re: Can't connect to remote backend database (again) [ In reply to ]
On 9/12/21 6:50 AM, Phill Edwards wrote:

> It is possible that you are misunderstanding the function of the
> device you link to. (It is also
> possible that I am misunderstanding it!)
>
>  From my reading of the very sketchy description, this device is
> designed for locations where a WiFi
> signal is poor or non-existent. Therefore, I would think that all
> it has is a mini-WiFi access point
> from which the Chromecast can get a local signal.
>
> It won't be sending Ethernet up the power cable, if that's what
> you assumed.
>

> Hi Mike, I think it's highly likely I misunderstood the function of
> the device! I did believe it sent ethernet up the cable, but now I
> think about that I can see that was mistaken.
>
> But how does that explain Mythfrontend not being able to connect to
> the database when using it?

The way the fire TV ethernet adapters work is they connect into the fire
TV power socket, which is actually a "USB On-The-Go" port
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go). I have two of these from
the URL below. There are many varieties available. It connects between
the power adapter and the fire stick, and has an ethernet port that you
plug into your router or switch. This could only work if your device has
a USB type power supply and a micro usb socket on the device for the
power input.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WT3GLF8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This particular item is actually two things bundled together: a "USB
On-The-Go" adapter and a USB hub with some USB ports and an ethernet
port. You can plug the USB hub part into any computer USB port and get
an extra ethernet connection plus some extra USB ports.

Peter

1 2  View All