Mailing List Archive

Apple Bluetooth keyboard keeps going to sleep
Ever since upgrading from Ubuntu 16 LTS (and then 18 and now 20), I've
been having an issue with an older Apple bluetooth keyboard where the
keyboard becomes nonresponsive after somewhere between 2 and 10 minutes.

I can get it working again but only if I power-cycle the keyboard or
remove/reinsert the dongle, or both. I've also tried fresh akaline AA
batteries in the keyboard multiple times, and replacing the dongle, but
the problem follows the keyboard.

The 'hcitool con' command shows the keyboard is still connected when
this happens, usually in "state 1". However, the keyboard's caps lock
key won't illuminate after it goes to sleep.

Is there some command on the Ubuntu side that would keep the keyboard
awake? It's a pain to use as is.

Thanks!

dn

Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS (GNU/Linux 5.4.0-77-generic x86_64)

Apple magic keyboard (aluminum, early 2010s)

TrendNet TBW-106UB USB 2.0 dongle)

Re: Apple Bluetooth keyboard keeps going to sleep [ In reply to ]
> On 29 Jun 2021, at 7:08 am, David Newman <dnewman@networktest.com> wrote:
>
> Ever since upgrading from Ubuntu 16 LTS (and then 18 and now 20), I've
> been having an issue with an older Apple bluetooth keyboard where the
> keyboard becomes nonresponsive after somewhere between 2 and 10 minutes.
>
> I can get it working again but only if I power-cycle the keyboard or
> remove/reinsert the dongle, or both. I've also tried fresh akaline AA
> batteries in the keyboard multiple times, and replacing the dongle, but
> the problem follows the keyboard.
>
> The 'hcitool con' command shows the keyboard is still connected when
> this happens, usually in "state 1". However, the keyboard's caps lock
> key won't illuminate after it goes to sleep.
>
> Is there some command on the Ubuntu side that would keep the keyboard
> awake? It's a pain to use as is.
>
> Thanks!
>
> dn
>

> Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS (GNU/Linux 5.4.0-77-generic x86_64)
>
> Apple magic keyboard (aluminum, early 2010s)
>
> TrendNet TBW-106UB USB 2.0 dongle)

Using mine on a NUC (builtin bluetooth) I have no issues (On ubuntu 20.04 and SuSE Leap 15.2)
James

PS
My kbd is 2010ish
Re: Apple Bluetooth keyboard keeps going to sleep [ In reply to ]
On 6/28/21 7:02 PM, James Linder wrote:

>> On 29 Jun 2021, at 7:08 am, David Newman <dnewman@networktest.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ever since upgrading from Ubuntu 16 LTS (and then 18 and now 20), I've
>> been having an issue with an older Apple bluetooth keyboard where the
>> keyboard becomes nonresponsive after somewhere between 2 and 10 minutes.
>>
>> I can get it working again but only if I power-cycle the keyboard or
>> remove/reinsert the dongle, or both. I've also tried fresh akaline AA
>> batteries in the keyboard multiple times, and replacing the dongle, but
>> the problem follows the keyboard.
>>
>> The 'hcitool con' command shows the keyboard is still connected when
>> this happens, usually in "state 1". However, the keyboard's caps lock
>> key won't illuminate after it goes to sleep.
>>
>> Is there some command on the Ubuntu side that would keep the keyboard
>> awake? It's a pain to use as is.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> dn
>>

>> Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS (GNU/Linux 5.4.0-77-generic x86_64)
>>
>> Apple magic keyboard (aluminum, early 2010s)
>>
>> TrendNet TBW-106UB USB 2.0 dongle)
>
> Using mine on a NUC (builtin bluetooth) I have no issues (On ubuntu 20.04 and SuSE Leap 15.2)
> James
>
> PS
> My kbd is 2010ish

Thanks. On further investigation, I think this could be due to some
issue with the Myth box, either hardware or software, and not the Apple
keyboard.

1. A different Bluetooth keyboard, a brand-new Logitech K380, had the
same issue of losing link soon after pairing with the Myth box.

2. The Apple keyboard paired and maintained link with an iPad Pro, even
after being idle for more than one hour.

Both tests point back to some possible issue with the Myth box.

Thanks in advance for any troubleshooting clues on keeping the Bluetooth
link alive.

dn

Re: Apple Bluetooth keyboard keeps going to sleep [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 5:52 PM David Newman <dnewman@networktest.com>
wrote:

> On 6/28/21 7:02 PM, James Linder wrote:
>

> >> On 29 Jun 2021, at 7:08 am, David Newman <dnewman@networktest.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Ever since upgrading from Ubuntu 16 LTS (and then 18 and now 20), I've
> >> been having an issue with an older Apple bluetooth keyboard where the
> >> keyboard becomes nonresponsive after somewhere between 2 and 10 minutes.
> >>
> >> I can get it working again but only if I power-cycle the keyboard or
> >> remove/reinsert the dongle, or both. I've also tried fresh akaline AA
> >> batteries in the keyboard multiple times, and replacing the dongle, but
> >> the problem follows the keyboard.
> >>
> >> The 'hcitool con' command shows the keyboard is still connected when
> >> this happens, usually in "state 1". However, the keyboard's caps lock
> >> key won't illuminate after it goes to sleep.
> >>
> >> Is there some command on the Ubuntu side that would keep the keyboard
> >> awake? It's a pain to use as is.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> dn
> >>

> >> Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS (GNU/Linux 5.4.0-77-generic x86_64)
> >>
> >> Apple magic keyboard (aluminum, early 2010s)
> >>
> >> TrendNet TBW-106UB USB 2.0 dongle)
> >
> > Using mine on a NUC (builtin bluetooth) I have no issues (On ubuntu
> 20.04 and SuSE Leap 15.2)
> > James
> >
> > PS
> > My kbd is 2010ish
>
> Thanks. On further investigation, I think this could be due to some
> issue with the Myth box, either hardware or software, and not the Apple
> keyboard.
>
> 1. A different Bluetooth keyboard, a brand-new Logitech K380, had the
> same issue of losing link soon after pairing with the Myth box.
>
> 2. The Apple keyboard paired and maintained link with an iPad Pro, even
> after being idle for more than one hour.
>
> Both tests point back to some possible issue with the Myth box.
>
> Thanks in advance for any troubleshooting clues on keeping the Bluetooth
> link alive.

You might try adding:

usbcore.autosuspend=-1

to your kernel config.

Re: Apple Bluetooth keyboard keeps going to sleep [ In reply to ]
On 6/29/21 3:50 PM, David Newman wrote:

> On 6/28/21 7:02 PM, James Linder wrote:
>

>>> On 29 Jun 2021, at 7:08 am, David Newman <dnewman@networktest.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Ever since upgrading from Ubuntu 16 LTS (and then 18 and now 20), I've
>>> been having an issue with an older Apple bluetooth keyboard where the
>>> keyboard becomes nonresponsive after somewhere between 2 and 10 minutes.
>>>
>>> I can get it working again but only if I power-cycle the keyboard or
>>> remove/reinsert the dongle, or both. I've also tried fresh akaline AA
>>> batteries in the keyboard multiple times, and replacing the dongle, but
>>> the problem follows the keyboard.
>>>
>>> The 'hcitool con' command shows the keyboard is still connected when
>>> this happens, usually in "state 1". However, the keyboard's caps lock
>>> key won't illuminate after it goes to sleep.
>>>
>>> Is there some command on the Ubuntu side that would keep the keyboard
>>> awake? It's a pain to use as is.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> dn
>>>

>>> Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS (GNU/Linux 5.4.0-77-generic x86_64)
>>>
>>> Apple magic keyboard (aluminum, early 2010s)
>>>
>>> TrendNet TBW-106UB USB 2.0 dongle)
>> Using mine on a NUC (builtin bluetooth) I have no issues (On ubuntu 20.04 and SuSE Leap 15.2)
>> James
>>
>> PS
>> My kbd is 2010ish
> Thanks. On further investigation, I think this could be due to some
> issue with the Myth box, either hardware or software, and not the Apple
> keyboard.
>
> 1. A different Bluetooth keyboard, a brand-new Logitech K380, had the
> same issue of losing link soon after pairing with the Myth box.
>
> 2. The Apple keyboard paired and maintained link with an iPad Pro, even
> after being idle for more than one hour.
>
> Both tests point back to some possible issue with the Myth box.
>
> Thanks in advance for any troubleshooting clues on keeping the Bluetooth
> link alive.
>
> dn

Picking up a very old thread (now on Ubuntu 22 LTS, TrendNet TBW-106UB
USB 2.0 dongle, Apple magic keyboard):

On the command line the 'bluetoothctl' command successfully pairs this
Apple keyboard.

However, after turning the keyboard off the only way to reconnect it is
to open an SSH session from another system, run bluetoothctl again, and
issue a 'connect' command.

How to have the keyboard connect without the use of a second computer?

(and apologies for what is really an Ubuntu Linux question and not a
MythTV question)

dn