Mailing List Archive

Logitech Harmony remote replacement - SofaBaton U1 ?
Folks,

Sadly my logitech harmony remote is finally giving up; there are now too
many non-functioning keys to make it viable.

That, plus the sad/annoying news that logitech have EOL'd Harmony means
I need an alternative.  It just needs to drive a Panasonic TV and the
MythTV box (MCE, lirc).

Does anyone use the SofaBaton U1?

    http://www.sofabaton.com/u1.html

Is it any good?

Or does anyone have a suggestion for alternatives?

Gavin

Re: Logitech Harmony remote replacement - SofaBaton U1 ? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jun 20, 2021 at 05:34:27PM +0100, Gavin Whitehead wrote:
> Sadly my logitech harmony remote is finally giving up; there are now too
> many non-functioning keys to make it viable.
>
> That, plus the sad/annoying news that logitech have EOL'd Harmony means I
> need an alternative.? It just needs to drive a Panasonic TV and the MythTV
> box (MCE, lirc).
>
> Does anyone use the SofaBaton U1?
>
> ??? http://www.sofabaton.com/u1.html
>
> Is it any good?
>
> Or does anyone have a suggestion for alternatives?

The Sofabaton is my expected fallback when/if my Harmony's quit
working. Sadly, I don't know of any other affordable, universal,
bluetooth remotes.

David
--
David Engel
david@istwok.net
Re: Logitech Harmony remote replacement - SofaBaton U1 ? [ In reply to ]
> On Jun 20, 2021, at 1:18 PM, David Engel <david@istwok.net> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jun 20, 2021 at 05:34:27PM +0100, Gavin Whitehead wrote:
>> Sadly my logitech harmony remote is finally giving up; there are now too
>> many non-functioning keys to make it viable.
>>
>> That, plus the sad/annoying news that logitech have EOL'd Harmony means I
>> need an alternative. It just needs to drive a Panasonic TV and the MythTV
>> box (MCE, lirc).
>>
>> Does anyone use the SofaBaton U1?
>>
>> http://www.sofabaton.com/u1.html
>>
>> Is it any good?
>>
>> Or does anyone have a suggestion for alternatives?
>
> The Sofabaton is my expected fallback when/if my Harmony's quit
> working. Sadly, I don't know of any other affordable, universal,
> bluetooth remotes.

What about something like this….

https://www.amazon.com/AuviPal-G9F-Bluetooth-Rechargeable-Firestick/dp/B08T1B2FTF <https://www.amazon.com/AuviPal-G9F-Bluetooth-Rechargeable-Firestick/dp/B08T1B2FTF>

Has qwerty keybd on one side and traditional remote keys on other side. It is both bluetooth and IR.

Amazon has several other items similar.

Regards
Re: Logitech Harmony remote replacement - SofaBaton U1 ? [ In reply to ]
On 20/06/2021 22:10, Jay Harbeston wrote:

>> On Jun 20, 2021, at 1:18 PM, David Engel <david@istwok.net
>> <mailto:david@istwok.net>> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Jun 20, 2021 at 05:34:27PM +0100, Gavin Whitehead wrote:
>>> Sadly my logitech harmony remote is finally giving up; there are now too
>>> many non-functioning keys to make it viable.
>>>
>>> That, plus the sad/annoying news that logitech have EOL'd Harmony means I
>>> need an alternative.  It just needs to drive a Panasonic TV and the
>>> MythTV
>>> box (MCE, lirc).
>>>
>>> Does anyone use the SofaBaton U1?
>>>
>>> http://www.sofabaton.com/u1.html <http://www.sofabaton.com/u1.html>
>>>
>>> Is it any good?
>>>
>>> Or does anyone have a suggestion for alternatives?
>>
>> The Sofabaton is my expected fallback when/if my Harmony's quit
>> working.  Sadly, I don't know of any other affordable, universal,
>> bluetooth remotes.
>>

> What about something like this….
>
> https://www.amazon.com/AuviPal-G9F-Bluetooth-Rechargeable-Firestick/dp/B08T1B2FTF
> <https://www.amazon.com/AuviPal-G9F-Bluetooth-Rechargeable-Firestick/dp/B08T1B2FTF>
>
> Has qwerty keybd on one side and traditional remote keys on other side.
> It is both bluetooth and IR.
>
> Amazon has several other items similar.

That doesn't look to support multiple modes - programmable, but just one
function per key.

The Sofabaton, on the other hand, does look like it would do the job. It
doesn't seem to directly support the Harmony's concept of activity, but
I think it could be tricked into behaving similarly, just that switching
activity would be two steps rather than one: select the activity with
the scroll wheel and then press a button reserved for setting up all the
devices appropriately.
Re: Logitech Harmony remote replacement - SofaBaton U1 ? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 21 Jun 2021, 2:35 am Gavin Whitehead, <gavinwhiteheadmail@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Sadly my logitech harmony remote is finally giving up; there are now too
> many non-functioning keys to make it viable.

I just bought a 650 on eBay while they're still around. So when my current
one dies I'll use that. And when that one dies hopefully there will be
other options

Re: Logitech Harmony remote replacement - SofaBaton U1 ? [ In reply to ]
On 21/06/2021 00:03, Phill Edwards wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jun 2021, 2:35 am Gavin Whitehead, <gavinwhiteheadmail@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> Sadly my logitech harmony remote is finally giving up; there are now too
>> many non-functioning keys to make it viable.
>>

> I just bought a 650 on eBay while they're still around. So when my current
> one dies I'll use that. And when that one dies hopefully there will be
> other options

Just make sure you program it before the service disappears!

--

Mike Perkins

Re: Logitech Harmony remote replacement - SofaBaton U1 ? [ In reply to ]

> > I just bought a 650 on eBay while they're still around. So when my
> current
> > one dies I'll use that. And when that one dies hopefully there will be
> > other options
> >
> Just make sure you program it before the service disappears!

Good point, I hadn't thought about that! Thanks.

Re: Logitech Harmony remote replacement - SofaBaton U1 ? [ In reply to ]
> On Jun 20, 2021, at 6:11 PM, Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net> wrote:
>
> On 20/06/2021 22:10, Jay Harbeston wrote:

>>> The Sofabaton is my expected fallback when/if my Harmony's quit
>>> working. Sadly, I don't know of any other affordable, universal,
>>> bluetooth remotes.

The sofa baton is an interesting device, and it is on sale in amazon's prime day for less than US $40.

Regards.
Re: Logitech Harmony remote replacement - SofaBaton U1 ? [ In reply to ]

> The sofa baton is an interesting device, and it is on sale in amazon's
> prime day for less than US $40.

I just watched a review of the Sofabaton. Looks ok but doesn't seem to have
the equivalent of Harmony's activities, which means it can't automatically
select HDMI inputs when you turn things on. That was such a good WAF
feature.

Re: Logitech Harmony remote replacement - SofaBaton U1 ? [ In reply to ]
On 21/06/2021 23:07, Phill Edwards wrote:

> The sofa baton is an interesting device, and it is on sale in
> amazon's prime day for less than US $40.
>

> I just watched a review of the Sofabaton. Looks ok but doesn't seem to
> have the equivalent of Harmony's activities, which means it can't
> automatically select HDMI inputs when you turn things on. That was such
> a good WAF feature.

Yes, but I think you could make it emulate that feature, providing you
reserve one button for the activity-change-over actions so, unlike with
the harmony where you just change activity, you'd need to change
activity and then press your setup button.
Re: Logitech Harmony remote replacement - SofaBaton U1 ? [ In reply to ]
On 22/06/2021 10:08, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> On 21/06/2021 23:07, Phill Edwards wrote:
>>
>>      >>> The Sofabaton is my expected fallback when/if my Harmony's quit
>>      >>> working.  Sadly, I don't know of any other affordable, universal,
>>      >>> bluetooth remotes.
>>
>>     The sofa baton is an interesting device, and it is on sale in
>>     amazon's prime day for less than US $40.
>>

>> I just watched a review of the Sofabaton. Looks ok but doesn't seem to have the equivalent of
>> Harmony's activities, which means it can't automatically select HDMI inputs when you turn things
>> on. That was such a good WAF feature.
>
> Yes, but I think you could make it emulate that feature, providing you reserve one button for the
> activity-change-over actions so, unlike with the harmony where you just change activity, you'd need
> to change activity and then press your setup button.

I think that it is a balance of where you want to have the 'business logic', if you like. In the
Harmony, the existing state of everything is held in the remote itself, so it knows what to change
when you press an activity button.

It would be possible to move that all to your host end. That way, you'd simply have a spare button
on the remote which, when pressed, runs (for example) a script which reads the existing state info
previously stored in, I dunno, /var/something, and does whatever is required to effect the switching.

Of course, that implies that that host retains all the state info so would have to be on all the
time. Suitable project for a RPi, anyone?

--

Mike Perkins

Re: Logitech Harmony remote replacement - SofaBaton U1 ? [ In reply to ]
On 22/06/2021 12:24, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 22/06/2021 10:08, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>> On 21/06/2021 23:07, Phill Edwards wrote:
>>>
>>>      >>> The Sofabaton is my expected fallback when/if my Harmony's quit
>>>      >>> working.  Sadly, I don't know of any other affordable,
>>> universal,
>>>      >>> bluetooth remotes.
>>>
>>>     The sofa baton is an interesting device, and it is on sale in
>>>     amazon's prime day for less than US $40.
>>>

>>> I just watched a review of the Sofabaton. Looks ok but doesn't seem
>>> to have the equivalent of Harmony's activities, which means it can't
>>> automatically select HDMI inputs when you turn things on. That was
>>> such a good WAF feature.
>>
>> Yes, but I think you could make it emulate that feature, providing you
>> reserve one button for the activity-change-over actions so, unlike
>> with the harmony where you just change activity, you'd need to change
>> activity and then press your setup button.
>>
> I think that it is a balance of where you want to have the 'business
> logic', if you like. In the Harmony, the existing state of everything is
> held in the remote itself, so it knows what to change when you press an
> activity button.
>
> It would be possible to move that all to your host end. That way, you'd
> simply have a spare button on the remote which, when pressed, runs (for
> example) a script which reads the existing state info previously stored
> in, I dunno, /var/something, and does whatever is required to effect the
> switching.
>
> Of course, that implies that that host retains all the state info so
> would have to be on all the time. Suitable project for a RPi, anyone?

I was thinking of restricting to idempotent actions, so no state memory
is needed: turn every device needed on, turn every device not needed
off, don't use toggles, don't use next or prev actrions.
Re: Logitech Harmony remote replacement - SofaBaton U1 ? [ In reply to ]
On 22/06/2021 17:05, Paul Gardiner wrote:

> On 22/06/2021 12:24, Mike Perkins wrote:

>>> Yes, but I think you could make it emulate that feature, providing you reserve one button for the
>>> activity-change-over actions so, unlike with the harmony where you just change activity, you'd
>>> need to change activity and then press your setup button.
>>>
>> I think that it is a balance of where you want to have the 'business logic', if you like. In the
>> Harmony, the existing state of everything is held in the remote itself, so it knows what to change
>> when you press an activity button.
>>
>> It would be possible to move that all to your host end. That way, you'd simply have a spare button
>> on the remote which, when pressed, runs (for example) a script which reads the existing state info
>> previously stored in, I dunno, /var/something, and does whatever is required to effect the switching.
>>
>> Of course, that implies that that host retains all the state info so would have to be on all the
>> time. Suitable project for a RPi, anyone?
>

> I was thinking of restricting to idempotent actions, so no state memory is needed: turn every device
> needed on, turn every device not needed off, don't use toggles, don't use next or prev actrions.

Unfortunately most power buttons on remotes /are/ just toggles. If you need to change the input
source for the TV, also, different TVs use differing approaches.

Those are the two I had most problems with in the past, even using the Harmony remotes. I have on
many occasions had to hold my hand over the emitter while pressing buttons because the remote
thought the devices were in different states, just to sync everything.

Of course, every single manufacturer has a "not invented here" syndrome and goes out of their way to
complicate even the simplest actions. If you find a solution let us know!

--

Mike Perkins

Re: Logitech Harmony remote replacement - SofaBaton U1 ? [ In reply to ]
On 22/06/2021 19:01, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 22/06/2021 17:05, Paul Gardiner wrote:

>>> I think that it is a balance of where you want to have the 'business
>>> logic', if you like. In the Harmony, the existing state of everything
>>> is held in the remote itself, so it knows what to change when you
>>> press an activity button.
>>>
>>> It would be possible to move that all to your host end. That way,
>>> you'd simply have a spare button on the remote which, when pressed,
>>> runs (for example) a script which reads the existing state info
>>> previously stored in, I dunno, /var/something, and does whatever is
>>> required to effect the switching.
>>>
>>> Of course, that implies that that host retains all the state info so
>>> would have to be on all the time. Suitable project for a RPi, anyone?
>>

>> I was thinking of restricting to idempotent actions, so no state
>> memory is needed: turn every device needed on, turn every device not
>> needed off, don't use toggles, don't use next or prev actrions.
>>
> Unfortunately most power buttons on remotes /are/ just toggles. If you
> need to change the input source for the TV, also, different TVs use
> differing approaches.

Oh, I must be lucky. Every one of my devices has separate power off and
power on, some in addition to a toggle. Likewise for input selection.
Hmmm, come to think of it, they do have exceptionally big remotes. :-)
Re: Logitech Harmony remote replacement - SofaBaton U1 ? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 22 Jun 2021 19:17:30 +0100, you wrote:

>On 22/06/2021 19:01, Mike Perkins wrote:

>>> I was thinking of restricting to idempotent actions, so no state
>>> memory is needed: turn every device needed on, turn every device not
>>> needed off, don't use toggles, don't use next or prev actrions.
>>>
>> Unfortunately most power buttons on remotes /are/ just toggles. If you
>> need to change the input source for the TV, also, different TVs use
>> differing approaches.
>
>Oh, I must be lucky. Every one of my devices has separate power off and
>power on, some in addition to a toggle. Likewise for input selection.
>Hmmm, come to think of it, they do have exceptionally big remotes. :-)

Even devices that only have toggle buttons for things sometimes do
have discrete remote codes to do the on and off (or channel select)
separately. The problem is finding the documentation that tells you
what the codes are, and then being able to program them. And some TVs
(Samsung?) now have a defined Internet API for remote control. I hope
other manufacturers will copy this.
Re: Logitech Harmony remote replacement - SofaBaton U1 ? [ In reply to ]
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2021 19:17:30 +0100, you wrote:

>>> Unfortunately most power buttons on remotes /are/ just toggles. If you
>>> need to change the input source for the TV, also, different TVs use
>>> differing approaches.
>>
>> Oh, I must be lucky. Every one of my devices has separate power off and
>> power on, some in addition to a toggle. Likewise for input selection.
>> Hmmm, come to think of it, they do have exceptionally big remotes. :-)
>
> Even devices that only have toggle buttons for things sometimes do
> have discrete remote codes to do the on and off (or channel select)
> separately. The problem is finding the documentation that tells you
> what the codes are, and then being able to program them. And some TVs
> (Samsung?) now have a defined Internet API for remote control. I hope
> other manufacturers will copy this.

Perhaps, in those cases, Sofabatton's database might include the codes.
I wonder if the database is viewable without owning a device.
Re: Logitech Harmony remote replacement - SofaBaton U1 ? [ In reply to ]
On 6/23/21 4:37 AM, Paul Gardiner wrote:

> Perhaps, in those cases, Sofabatton's database might include the
> codes. I wonder if the database is viewable without owning a device.

I ordered a SofaBaton U1 from Amazon on Prime day for $36. I got it
today and returned it today.  It didn't take but 30 minutes to see it
wasn't up to the task of replacing a Harmony Smart Hub remote.

While the database has my 4 year old Samsung UHD, it didn't have my 9
year old AVR from Denon. I tried updating the remote code via IR
learning but that was going to take the rest of my life.

I could not add my Shield TV so that any of the basic buttons would work.

I used the UPS drop off return and my money has already been refunded.

One way to solve this is to throw all my old equipment away and buy new
stuff.  My wife has a new UHD from Samsung and a new FireTV 4k, along
with a new Polk Audio sound bar.  Both the TV remote and FireTV remote
can be setup to know about the sound bar and it all works without a
rocket scientist to set it up.  She did have a 70 yr old BSEE to do it
but I don't think it was that complicated for anyone.

Jim A

Re: Logitech Harmony remote replacement - SofaBaton U1 ? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 1:41 PM Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/23/21 4:37 AM, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> >

> > Perhaps, in those cases, Sofabatton's database might include the
> > codes. I wonder if the database is viewable without owning a device.
>
> I ordered a SofaBaton U1 from Amazon on Prime day for $36. I got it
> today and returned it today. It didn't take but 30 minutes to see it
> wasn't up to the task of replacing a Harmony Smart Hub remote.
>
> While the database has my 4 year old Samsung UHD, it didn't have my 9
> year old AVR from Denon. I tried updating the remote code via IR
> learning but that was going to take the rest of my life.
>
> I could not add my Shield TV so that any of the basic buttons would work.
>
> I used the UPS drop off return and my money has already been refunded.
>
> One way to solve this is to throw all my old equipment away and buy new
> stuff. My wife has a new UHD from Samsung and a new FireTV 4k, along
> with a new Polk Audio sound bar. Both the TV remote and FireTV remote
> can be setup to know about the sound bar and it all works without a
> rocket scientist to set it up. She did have a 70 yr old BSEE to do it
> but I don't think it was that complicated for anyone.
>
> Jim

Logitech has stated that they will be keeping the Harmony servers up even
though they are no longer making the remotes. Best Buy still has some
version in stock at MSRP:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech/logitech-harmony/pcmcat748300594440.c?id=pcmcat748300594440

John
Re: Logitech Harmony remote replacement - SofaBaton U1 ? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 4:56 PM John P Poet <jppoet@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 1:41 PM Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On 6/23/21 4:37 AM, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>> >

>> > Perhaps, in those cases, Sofabatton's database might include the
>> > codes. I wonder if the database is viewable without owning a device.
>>
>> I ordered a SofaBaton U1 from Amazon on Prime day for $36. I got it
>> today and returned it today. It didn't take but 30 minutes to see it
>> wasn't up to the task of replacing a Harmony Smart Hub remote.
>>
>> While the database has my 4 year old Samsung UHD, it didn't have my 9
>> year old AVR from Denon. I tried updating the remote code via IR
>> learning but that was going to take the rest of my life.
>>
>> I could not add my Shield TV so that any of the basic buttons would work.
>>
>> I used the UPS drop off return and my money has already been refunded.
>>
>> One way to solve this is to throw all my old equipment away and buy new
>> stuff. My wife has a new UHD from Samsung and a new FireTV 4k, along
>> with a new Polk Audio sound bar. Both the TV remote and FireTV remote
>> can be setup to know about the sound bar and it all works without a
>> rocket scientist to set it up. She did have a 70 yr old BSEE to do it
>> but I don't think it was that complicated for anyone.
>>
>> Jim
>>

> Logitech has stated that they will be keeping the Harmony servers up even
> though they are no longer making the remotes. Best Buy still has some
> version in stock at MSRP:
>

> https://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech/logitech-harmony/pcmcat748300594440.c?id=pcmcat748300594440
>
> John

It's good that they will have the servers. I have a complete backup hub
and remote in storage in case my current one fails. I probably should set
it up now to match the current one.

Jim A
Re: Logitech Harmony remote replacement - SofaBaton U1 ? [ In reply to ]
Maybe there is hope:
https://www.yio-remote.com/
Re: Logitech Harmony remote replacement - SofaBaton U1 ? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jun 24, 2021, 18:30 Daniel Di Giacomo <lists@dadigi.com> wrote:

> Maybe there is hope:
> https://www.yio-remote.com/

Just remember that the yio one was ~$300
in kit form (without a number of necessary
parts to start your development).
Re: Logitech Harmony remote replacement - SofaBaton U1 ? [ In reply to ]
On Friday, 25 June 2021 02:29:23 BST Daniel Di Giacomo wrote:
> Maybe there is hope:
> https://www.yio-remote.com/

Thanks for this, looks very interesting. Watching the videos of the self
assembly kit is intriguing and frightening at the same time! Seems those kits
are no longer available hence the "Remote 2 coming to Kickstarter this
summer."

--
Regards, Steve Goodey
Colchester, England

Hello to Jason Isaacs

Re: Logitech Harmony remote replacement - SofaBaton U1 ? [ In reply to ]
On 06/23/2021 07:04 PM, James Abernathy wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 4:56 PM John P Poet wrote:
>

> Logitech has stated that they will be keeping the Harmony servers
> up even though they are no longer making the remotes. Best Buy
> still has some version in stock at MSRP:
>
> https://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech/logitech-harmony/pcmcat748300594440.c?id=pcmcat748300594440
>
> John
>

> It's good that they will have the servers. I have a complete backup
> hub and remote in storage in case my current one fails. I probably
> should set it up now to match the current one.
>
> Jim A

Haven't tried any of this, yet, but there's always

https://www.phildev.net/harmony/

to program the Harmony and

https://github.com/cdegroot/harmony

to control your Harmony Hub from a computer and the fact that the
Harmony remote emulates a keyboard when paired with a Logitech Unifying
Receiver

https://haukcode.wordpress.com/2015/04/16/hacking-the-harmony-rf-remote/

and/or the ability to use the codes directly, once deciphered, as

https://haukcode.wordpress.com/2015/04/16/hacking-the-harmony-rf-remote/#comment-480
https://github.com/HakanL/harmony-remote-arduino

that all provide some options, at least while your hardware lasts.

Mike

Re: Logitech Harmony remote replacement - SofaBaton U1 ? [ In reply to ]

> On Thu, Jun 24, 2021, 18:30 Daniel Di Giacomo <lists@dadigi.com> wrote:
>
>> Maybe there is hope:
>> https://www.yio-remote.com/
>

> Just remember that the yio one was ~$300
> in kit form (without a number of necessary
> parts to start your development).

Also, the devices that will be supported is worryingly vague: "*We are
planning to support the most popular home automation platforms and selected
smart devices.*" So unless your devices are "popular" (whatever that means)
you may be out of luck. For something that's going to cost more than $300
I'd want a lot more certainty about whether or not it will work with my
equipment.
Re: Logitech Harmony remote replacement - SofaBaton U1 ? [ In reply to ]
On 20/06/2021 17:34, Gavin Whitehead wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Sadly my logitech harmony remote is finally giving up; there are now
> too many non-functioning keys to make it viable.
>
> That, plus the sad/annoying news that logitech have EOL'd Harmony
> means I need an alternative.  It just needs to drive a Panasonic TV
> and the MythTV box (MCE, lirc).
>
> Does anyone use the SofaBaton U1?
>
>     http://www.sofabaton.com/u1.html
>
> Is it any good?
>
> Or does anyone have a suggestion for alternatives?
>

> Gavin

Folks,

As usual your replies have been both informative and useful.

In the end I have decided to stick with Logitech so I am now in several
bidding wars on ebay :).  Hopefully I can get something that will work
until either (a) a decent replacement for Logitech Harmony appears or
(b) my watching habits change such that MythTV is no longer required - a
thought that hadn't even occurred to me over the last eleven years until
I read the "The future of MythTV" thread.

Thanks again,

Gavin