When I forget I get a stack of job in the queue that can't run since my
backend is a Raspberry Pi 4 and I turn that feature off along with
transcoding jobs.

That is normally easy to edit later, but what about remote backends? I
can't find a way to edit the Default template from mythweb or webfrontend.

I guess I could ssh -X jim@mythbuntu and then run mythfrontend to edit
the template??

Jim A

Re: Default template editing [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 17 Jun 2021 06:17:13 -0400, you wrote:

>The first thing I normally do is edit the Default recording template to
>not do Commercial Detection.
>
>When I forget I get a stack of job in the queue that can't run since my
>backend is a Raspberry Pi 4 and I turn that feature off along with
>transcoding jobs.
>
>That is normally easy to edit later, but what about remote backends? I
>can't find a way to edit the Default template from mythweb or webfrontend.
>
>I guess I could ssh -X jim@mythbuntu and then run mythfrontend to edit
>the template??

You can use any frontend with any backend - just swap the config.xml
files in $HOME/.mythtv so that it points to the right backend. I have
three different config.xml files on my main MythTV box:

root@mypvr:/home/stephen/.mythtv# ll con*
-rw-rw-r-- 1 stephen stephen 629 May 26 2019 config.xml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 stephen stephen 1038 Sep 20 2013 config.xml.crw-pvr
-rw-rw-r-- 1 stephen stephen 623 May 7 2016 config.xml.lith
-rw-rw-r-- 1 stephen stephen 629 May 26 2019 config.xml.mypvr

The config.xml.mythtv one is for that backend box, and the other two
are for my mother's MythTV box and my test box. To switch, I just
copy the right one:

copy -a config.xml.crw-pvr config.xml

and to switch back to normal operation:

copy -a config.xml.mypvr config.xml

I believe you can also specify the config.xml file on the mythfrontend
command line, but I prefer to do the above as I find it easier.

To get a working config.xml file for another backend, just copy one
from a frontend that works with that backend, then check the <Host>
field - if it is set to localhost, change it to the correct IP address
or DNS name.
Re: Default template editing [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 9:05 AM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jun 2021 06:17:13 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >The first thing I normally do is edit the Default recording template to
> >not do Commercial Detection.
> >
> >When I forget I get a stack of job in the queue that can't run since my
> >backend is a Raspberry Pi 4 and I turn that feature off along with
> >transcoding jobs.
> >
> >That is normally easy to edit later, but what about remote backends? I
> >can't find a way to edit the Default template from mythweb or webfrontend.
> >
> >I guess I could ssh -X jim@mythbuntu and then run mythfrontend to edit
> >the template??
>
> You can use any frontend with any backend - just swap the config.xml
> files in $HOME/.mythtv so that it points to the right backend. I have
> three different config.xml files on my main MythTV box:
>
> root@mypvr:/home/stephen/.mythtv# ll con*
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 stephen stephen 629 May 26 2019 config.xml
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 stephen stephen 1038 Sep 20 2013 config.xml.crw-pvr
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 stephen stephen 623 May 7 2016 config.xml.lith
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 stephen stephen 629 May 26 2019 config.xml.mypvr
>
> The config.xml.mythtv one is for that backend box, and the other two
> are for my mother's MythTV box and my test box. To switch, I just
> copy the right one:
>
> copy -a config.xml.crw-pvr config.xml
>
> and to switch back to normal operation:
>
> copy -a config.xml.mypvr config.xml
>
> I believe you can also specify the config.xml file on the mythfrontend
> command line, but I prefer to do the above as I find it easier.
>
> To get a working config.xml file for another backend, just copy one
> from a frontend that works with that backend, then check the <Host>
> field - if it is set to localhost, change it to the correct IP address
> or DNS name.

Thanks for the tip. Instead of all the switching of config.xml files, I
think I'd prefer to just ssh -X from my Linux laptop. That works, but It
would be better for me to have an option in mythweb. In webfrontend there
is a place to edit the default template in the edit recording rules, but
when you click on it it doesn't display anything.

In practice I usually have a frontend handy that can run mythfrontend and
edit recording rules, but today I was a few rooms apart from the backend
and the only frontend convenient was a FireTV that had not been setup with
mythfrontend yet.

Problem solved, but I'd vote for mythweb or webfrontend to have that
feature.

Jim A
Re: Default template editing [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 06:17:13AM -0400, Jim Abernathy wrote:
> The first thing I normally do is edit the Default recording template to not
> do Commercial Detection.
>
> When I forget I get a stack of job in the queue that can't run since my
> backend is a Raspberry Pi 4 and I turn that feature off along with
> transcoding jobs.
>
> That is normally easy to edit later, but what about remote backends? I can't
> find a way to edit the Default template from mythweb or webfrontend.
>
> I guess I could ssh -X jim@mythbuntu and then run mythfrontend to edit the
> template??

Recording templates are global. They are not specific to any backend.

What is backend specific is which types of jobs and how many jobs each
backend can run. That is configured by running mythtv-setup on each
backend.

David
--
David Engel
david@istwok.net
Re: Default template editing [ In reply to ]

> You can use any frontend with any backend - just swap the config.xml
> files in $HOME/.mythtv so that it points to the right backend. I have
> three different config.xml files on my main MythTV box:
>
> root@mypvr:/home/stephen/.mythtv# ll con*
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 stephen stephen 629 May 26 2019 config.xml
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 stephen stephen 1038 Sep 20 2013 config.xml.crw-pvr
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 stephen stephen 623 May 7 2016 config.xml.lith
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 stephen stephen 629 May 26 2019 config.xml.mypvr
>
> The config.xml.mythtv one is for that backend box, and the other two
> are for my mother's MythTV box and my test box. To switch, I just
> copy the right one:
>
> copy -a config.xml.crw-pvr config.xml
>
> and to switch back to normal operation:
>
> copy -a config.xml.mypvr config.xml

It's even easier than that.

Set the environment variable MYTHCONFDIR to point to the
directory where the config file lives.

I then wrap setting the environment variable and starting
the frontend in a script so it's automatic :)

As an example, I have the master branch installed, and I
have 2 different frontend scripts, with the suffixes
'-git' and '-test'. One points to a remote backend where
I have actual tuners, and the other points to a backend
on localhost, so I can do easy development.

Regards
Stuart