Mailing List Archive

Changed monitors (not the TV) and now mythfrontend doesn't display right.
Hi,

I've been running MythTV for years (v30 on debian stable) and it worked
perfectly. I have 4 monitors: 1 and 2 (built-in intel video) are on the
desk, 3 is the 40" Samsung tv where the frontend runs, 4 is a smaller
screen. 3 and 4 are on a fanless video card.

1 and 2 used to be 1920x1080, the tv is 1920x1080 and #4 is smaller. in
this situation, the frontend worked perfectly. Both the frontend
interface and the video being played filled the screen correctly.

I just changed 1 and 2. They now are 1920x1200.

I start the frontend in a window on #1 with this command:

$ mythfrontend -geometry +3849+0

And it doesn't work any more. The frontend interface overfills the
screen, so I try:

$ mythfrontend -geometry 1920x1080+3849+0

and now the frontend interface fills the screen correctly but the video
is displayed with 2 vertical bars on the sides. It seems that the code
that displays the video refers to the biggest vertical resolution no
matter what the -geometry options tells the frontend and no matter on
what screen it is running. I also tried starting the frontend from a
konsole window on display 3 (the tv - 1920x1080) but it behaves the same
way.

Is there some option that I now need to set explicitly? Is there
something I can do to force the code that displays the video to have the
proper height of 1080? or is this a bug?

Help! I really depend on MythTV. Anything I can do/try to help debug
this issue?

Thanks! And of course a HUGE thank you to the developers for an amazing
piece of software.

Augustine
Re: Changed monitors (not the TV) and now mythfrontend doesn't display right. [ In reply to ]
On 07/06/2021 03:41, A. F. Cano wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been running MythTV for years (v30 on debian stable) and it worked
> perfectly. I have 4 monitors: 1 and 2 (built-in intel video) are on the
> desk, 3 is the 40" Samsung tv where the frontend runs, 4 is a smaller
> screen. 3 and 4 are on a fanless video card.
>
> 1 and 2 used to be 1920x1080, the tv is 1920x1080 and #4 is smaller. in
> this situation, the frontend worked perfectly. Both the frontend
> interface and the video being played filled the screen correctly.
>
> I just changed 1 and 2. They now are 1920x1200.
>
> I start the frontend in a window on #1 with this command:
>
> $ mythfrontend -geometry +3849+0
>
> And it doesn't work any more. The frontend interface overfills the
> screen, so I try:
>
> $ mythfrontend -geometry 1920x1080+3849+0
>
> and now the frontend interface fills the screen correctly but the video
> is displayed with 2 vertical bars on the sides. It seems that the code
> that displays the video refers to the biggest vertical resolution no
> matter what the -geometry options tells the frontend and no matter on
> what screen it is running. I also tried starting the frontend from a
> konsole window on display 3 (the tv - 1920x1080) but it behaves the same
> way.
>
> Is there some option that I now need to set explicitly? Is there
> something I can do to force the code that displays the video to have the
> proper height of 1080? or is this a bug?
>
> Help! I really depend on MythTV. Anything I can do/try to help debug
> this issue?
>
> Thanks! And of course a HUGE thank you to the developers for an amazing
> piece of software.
>
> Augustine

I just noticed that this went as a direct reply. Resending, FWIW, to list.

A lot of work was done in master around the 2020 New Year that affected
this sort of thing, and I don't know if that has reached v30. But
frontend setup has settings for framed/unframed windows and for
identical or separate UI/Video geometries that you might need to adjust.

I used framed 'frontend setup' windows on a monitor, and a -nw
--geometry override to put the display onto the TV; but I haven't
returned to using HDMI with TV since something bricked my TV#1...

John P

Re: Changed monitors (not the TV) and now mythfrontend doesn't display right. [ In reply to ]
On 07/06/2021 13:46, John Pilkington wrote:

> On 07/06/2021 03:41, A. F. Cano wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been running MythTV for years (v30 on debian stable) and it worked
>> perfectly.  I have 4 monitors: 1 and 2 (built-in intel video) are on the
>> desk, 3 is the 40" Samsung tv where the frontend runs, 4 is a smaller
>> screen.  3 and 4 are on a fanless video card.
>>
>> 1 and 2 used to be 1920x1080, the tv is 1920x1080 and #4 is smaller.  in
>> this situation, the frontend worked perfectly.  Both the frontend
>> interface and the video being played filled the screen correctly.
>>
>> I just changed 1 and 2.  They now are 1920x1200.
>>
>> I start the frontend in a window on #1 with this command:
>>
>> $ mythfrontend -geometry +3849+0
>>
>> And it doesn't work any more.  The frontend interface overfills the
>> screen, so I try:
>>
>> $ mythfrontend -geometry 1920x1080+3849+0
>>
>> and now the frontend interface fills the screen correctly but the video
>> is displayed with 2 vertical bars on the sides.  It seems that the code
>> that displays the video refers to the biggest vertical resolution no
>> matter what the -geometry options tells the frontend and no matter on
>> what screen it is running.  I also tried starting the frontend from a
>> konsole window on display 3 (the tv - 1920x1080) but it behaves the same
>> way.
>>
>> Is there some option that I now need to set explicitly?  Is there
>> something I can do to force the code that displays the video to have the
>> proper height of 1080? or is this a bug?
>>
>> Help! I really depend on MythTV.  Anything I can do/try to help debug
>> this issue?
>>
>> Thanks!  And of course a HUGE thank you to the developers for an amazing
>> piece of software.
>>
>> Augustine
> >

> I just noticed that this went as a direct reply.  Resending, FWIW, to
> list.
>
> A lot of work was done in master around the 2020 New Year that affected
> this sort of thing, and I don't know if that has reached v30.  But
> frontend setup has settings for framed/unframed windows and for
> identical or separate UI/Video geometries that you might need to adjust.
>
> I used framed 'frontend setup' windows on a monitor, and a -nw
> --geometry override to put the display onto the TV; but I haven't
> returned to using HDMI with TV since something bricked my TV#1...
>
> John P

Like John says thing have changed significantly in v31 and even more so
in current master. Not sure about v31 but in master you can select which
monitor you want MythTV to run on in the setup so probably don't need to
use --geometry.

Paul H.

Re: Changed monitors (not the TV) and now mythfrontend doesn't display right. [ In reply to ]
On 6/7/21 9:07 AM, Paul Harrison wrote:
> Like John says thing have changed significantly in v31 and even more
> so in current master. Not sure about v31 but in master you can select
> which monitor you want MythTV to run on in the setup so probably don't
> need to use --geometry.
>

> Paul H.

All versions, including v31, can use mythfrontend settings -> appearance
-> theme / screen settings -> Gui dimension to set the size and offset
of your picture. I use this all the time, and it works fine.

Peter

Re: Changed monitors (not the TV) and now mythfrontend doesn't display right. [ In reply to ]
On 07/06/2021 14:47, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 6/7/21 9:07 AM, Paul Harrison wrote:
>> Like John says thing have changed significantly in v31 and even more
>> so in current master. Not sure about v31 but in master you can select
>> which monitor you want MythTV to run on in the setup so probably
>> don't need to use --geometry.
>>

>> Paul H.
>
> All versions, including v31, can use mythfrontend settings ->
> appearance -> theme / screen settings -> Gui dimension to set the size
> and offset of your picture. I use this all the time, and it works fine.
>
> Peter

Yeah that bit has worked for a long time. Being able to place MythTV on
a particular monitor I think is fairly new? The question is does it now
handle monitors with difference screen resolutions properly?  It works
here on master with a dual screen setup but both monitors have the same
resolution.

Paul H.

Re: Changed monitors (not the TV) and now mythfrontend doesn't display right. [ In reply to ]
On 07/06/2021 15:16, Paul Harrison wrote:

> On 07/06/2021 14:47, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>
>> On 6/7/21 9:07 AM, Paul Harrison wrote:
>>> Like John says thing have changed significantly in v31 and even more
>>> so in current master. Not sure about v31 but in master you can select
>>> which monitor you want MythTV to run on in the setup so probably
>>> don't need to use --geometry.
>>>

>>> Paul H.
>>
>> All versions, including v31, can use mythfrontend settings ->
>> appearance -> theme / screen settings -> Gui dimension to set the size
>> and offset of your picture. I use this all the time, and it works fine.
>>
>> Peter
>>

> Yeah that bit has worked for a long time. Being able to place MythTV on
> a particular monitor I think is fairly new? The question is does it now
> handle monitors with difference screen resolutions properly?  It works
> here on master with a dual screen setup but both monitors have the same
> resolution.
>

> Paul H.

My nVidia GT710 (low end card) sees a single screen, currently a DELL
monitor, as 1680x1050; but IIRC when I had the TV HDMI connected too it
was (1680 + 1920)x 1080.

The monitor was at 1680x1050+0+0 and the mythfrontend window on that
screen was initially at 1024x576+64+64, fixed in size but moveable.

Running 'mythfrontend -nw --geometry 1920x1080+1680+0' gave a fullscreen
display on the TV.

Oviously, with this configuration, I'm not intending to try playing 4K
material.

John P

Re: Changed monitors (not the TV) and now mythfrontend doesn't display right. [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 07, 2021 at 09:47:57AM -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 6/7/21 9:07 AM, Paul Harrison wrote:
> > Like John says thing have changed significantly in v31 and even more so
> > in current master. Not sure about v31 but in master you can select which
> > monitor you want MythTV to run on in the setup so probably don't need to
> > use --geometry.
> >

> > Paul H.
>
> All versions, including v31, can use mythfrontend settings -> appearance ->
> theme / screen settings -> Gui dimension to set the size and offset of your
> picture. I use this all the time, and it works fine.

On v 30 it's Advanced -> Setup -> Appearance -> Theme/Screen Settings ->
GUI Dimensions

I set the size to 1920 x 1080 but it wouldn't accept my offset (3840):
too big. Still this didn't do it. The GUI interface was sized
correctly but displaying any video still had the black bars on left and
right and it was stretched vertically.

I could only solve this by setting: Display on Screen: 2. After that
the video displays correctly on the tv, but it has an unfortunate side
effect. I can no longer start a frontend on screen 1 (mythfrontend
count starting at 0, my original 2, by my count the tv is on screen 3).

I used to be able to do (on screen 2 - my numbering)

mythfrontend -w -geometry 1280x720

to do all kinds of housekeeping, now (predictably) it goes and opens the
window on top of the other frontend running on the tv.

This brings up another issue I've had. Since the frontend settings seem
to be global (they apply to all frontends running) where to direct the
sound is also global. If I start the housekeeping frontend as shown
above, the sound still goes to the HDMI output of the tv. It would be
nice if all these settings could be applicable on a per screen basis,
not globally. I know I could probably start the housekeeping frontend
from a script that sets the sound and now the screen to start on (is this
possible for the screen number?) before the frontend proper is started,
but I haven't investigated how to do this yet. The obvious attempt to
set -w 1 failed:

Boolean type options do not accept values:
-w
Received '1' but unassociated arguments have not been enabled
mythfrontend version: [v30.0] www.mythtv.org

This would be an easy way to direct on what screen to open the frontend.
It would override the global parameter. Something similar could be done
to direct the sound output. In my case: default speakers for the
frontend on screen 2 (my cound starting at 1) and HDMI for the TV.

I did notice that the above invocation of the frontend also had the
black sidebars and the vertical stretching even at that windowed lower
resolution, before I set the "Display on Screen: 2" parameter. Somehow
the video display software appears to refer to the maximum height of the
current window (1200) even if the display area is only 1280x720.

I wonder if this has been fixed in v31 or above, I suppose I'll find out
when bullseye becomes stable and I upgrade.

> Peter

In any case, thank you for pointing out a path to a solution. I now can
watch properly on the main frontend at least.

Augustine
Re: Changed monitors (not the TV) and now mythfrontend doesn't display right. [ In reply to ]
On 6/7/21 2:38 PM, A. F. Cano wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 07, 2021 at 09:47:57AM -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
>> On 6/7/21 9:07 AM, Paul Harrison wrote:
>>> Like John says thing have changed significantly in v31 and even more so
>>> in current master. Not sure about v31 but in master you can select which
>>> monitor you want MythTV to run on in the setup so probably don't need to
>>> use --geometry.
>>>

>>> Paul H.
>> All versions, including v31, can use mythfrontend settings -> appearance ->
>> theme / screen settings -> Gui dimension to set the size and offset of your
>> picture. I use this all the time, and it works fine.
> On v 30 it's Advanced -> Setup -> Appearance -> Theme/Screen Settings ->
> GUI Dimensions
>
> I set the size to 1920 x 1080 but it wouldn't accept my offset (3840):
> too big. Still this didn't do it. The GUI interface was sized
MythTV used to restrict screen setting to sizes up to 1920. V31
increases this to 3840.
> correctly but displaying any video still had the black bars on left and
> right and it was stretched vertically.
Did you enable "Use GUI size for TV playback" ? This will make the video
use the same size as your screen setting. Otherwise it tries to make the
video full screen.
> I could only solve this by setting: Display on Screen: 2. After that
> the video displays correctly on the tv, but it has an unfortunate side
> effect. I can no longer start a frontend on screen 1 (mythfrontend
> count starting at 0, my original 2, by my count the tv is on screen 3).
>
> I used to be able to do (on screen 2 - my numbering)
>
> mythfrontend -w -geometry 1280x720

You can use mythfrontend -O GuiHeight=720 -O GuiWidth=1280. This
overrides the value you specify in setup.

Other fields you can use are GuiOffsetX GuiOffsetY GuiSizeForTV.

> to do all kinds of housekeeping, now (predictably) it goes and opens the
> window on top of the other frontend running on the tv.
>
> This brings up another issue I've had. Since the frontend settings seem
> to be global (they apply to all frontends running) where to direct the
> sound is also global. If I start the housekeeping frontend as shown
> above, the sound still goes to the HDMI output of the tv. It would be
> nice if all these settings could be applicable on a per screen basis,
> not globally. I know I could probably start the housekeeping frontend
> from a script that sets the sound and now the screen to start on (is this
> possible for the screen number?) before the frontend proper is started,
> but I haven't investigated how to do this yet. The obvious attempt to
> set -w 1 failed:

Most settings can be overridden with -O options as above. Probably the
one you need is

-O AudioOutputDevice=ALSA:default or whatever value you need

Re: Changed monitors (not the TV) and now mythfrontend doesn't display right. [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 07, 2021 at 03:36:01PM -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 6/7/21 2:38 PM, A. F. Cano wrote:
> > correctly but displaying any video still had the black bars on left and
> > right and it was stretched vertically.
> Did you enable "Use GUI size for TV playback" ? This will make the video use

Yes, that was checked by default.

> the same size as your screen setting. Otherwise it tries to make the video
> full screen.
> > I could only solve this by setting: Display on Screen: 2. After that
> > the video displays correctly on the tv, but it has an unfortunate side
> > effect. I can no longer start a frontend on screen 1 (mythfrontend
> > count starting at 0, my original 2, by my count the tv is on screen 3).
> >
> > I used to be able to do (on screen 2 - my numbering)
> >
> > mythfrontend -w -geometry 1280x720
>
> You can use mythfrontend -O GuiHeight=720 -O GuiWidth=1280. This overrides
> the value you specify in setup.
>
> Other fields you can use are GuiOffsetX GuiOffsetY GuiSizeForTV.

> Most settings can be overridden with -O options as above. Probably the one
> you need is
>
> -O AudioOutputDevice=ALSA:default or whatever value you need

Good to know. I'll play around with -O and see what happens. Thanks.

Augustine
Re: Changed monitors (not the TV) and now mythfrontend doesn't display right. [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 07, 2021 at 06:12:02PM -0400, A. F. Cano wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 07, 2021 at 03:36:01PM -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
> > You can use mythfrontend -O GuiHeight=720 -O GuiWidth=1280. This overrides
> > the value you specify in setup.
> >
> > Other fields you can use are GuiOffsetX GuiOffsetY GuiSizeForTV.

> > Most settings can be overridden with -O options as above. Probably the one
> > you need is
> >
> > -O AudioOutputDevice=ALSA:default or whatever value you need

> Good to know. I'll play around with -O and see what happens. Thanks.

Mmm... Looked around a bit but couldn't find anything on what options
are valid after the -O. Is there a list of those options somewhere?

Augustine
Re: Changed monitors (not the TV) and now mythfrontend doesn't display right. [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 21:51:07 -0400, you wrote:

>On Mon, Jun 07, 2021 at 06:12:02PM -0400, A. F. Cano wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 07, 2021 at 03:36:01PM -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
>> > You can use mythfrontend -O GuiHeight=720 -O GuiWidth=1280. This overrides
>> > the value you specify in setup.
>> >
>> > Other fields you can use are GuiOffsetX GuiOffsetY GuiSizeForTV.

>> > Most settings can be overridden with -O options as above. Probably the one
>> > you need is
>> >
>> > -O AudioOutputDevice=ALSA:default or whatever value you need

>> Good to know. I'll play around with -O and see what happens. Thanks.
>
>Mmm... Looked around a bit but couldn't find anything on what options
>are valid after the -O. Is there a list of those options somewhere?

Anything that is valid in the "value" field of the "settings" table in
the database.
Re: Changed monitors (not the TV) and now mythfrontend doesn't display right. [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jun 08, 2021 at 02:46:30PM +1200, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 21:51:07 -0400, you wrote:

I guess this does the same thing that -geometry 1280x720 does. At least
I see no different result.

> >> Good to know. I'll play around with -O and see what happens. Thanks.
> >
> >Mmm... Looked around a bit but couldn't find anything on what options
> >are valid after the -O. Is there a list of those options somewhere?
>
> Anything that is valid in the "value" field of the "settings" table in
> the database.

Thanks!

Some progress:

mythfrontend -w -geometry 1280x720 -O XineramaScreen=0 -O
AudioOutputDevice=ALSA:default

works. I can now display a frontend on the desk screen with the sound
routed properly, but no combination of

-0 GuiHeight=720 -O GuiWidth=1280 -O GuiSizeForTV=1 (this was set to 1
in the database too) -O AspectOverride=1

display the video properly on the desk screen (1920x1200). the video
has 2 vertical bars on the sides and is stretched vertically. In fact,
with some combinations of parameters the bars are wider and the video
looks even more stretched vertically.

If I just do:

mythfrontend -O XineramaScreen=0 -O AudioOutputDevice=ALSA:default

The frontend displays on the correct screen, it doesn't take the whole
screen, just the top 1080 pixels from the top, but the video is still
stretched vertically with the 2 black bars on the sides.

If someone can point me to the magic parameter (or combination of
parameters) that affects this problem, it would be great. At least now
I can do housekeeping like I used to before the screen upgrade.

Thanks for the help so far.

Augustine
Re: Changed monitors (not the TV) and now mythfrontend doesn't display right. [ In reply to ]
On 11/06/2021 23:06, A. F. Cano wrote:

> If someone can point me to the magic parameter (or combination of
> parameters) that affects this problem, it would be great. At least now
> I can do housekeeping like I used to before the screen upgrade.

I don't  know for sure but I suspect upgrading to v31 or later will fix
your problem.

Paul H.

Re: Changed monitors (not the TV) and now mythfrontend doesn't display right. [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 12:04:29AM +0100, Paul Harrison wrote:
> On 11/06/2021 23:06, A. F. Cano wrote:
>

> > If someone can point me to the magic parameter (or combination of
> > parameters) that affects this problem, it would be great. At least now
> > I can do housekeeping like I used to before the screen upgrade.
> >

> I don't? know for sure but I suspect upgrading to v31 or later will fix your
> problem.

Correct! I finally upgraded to debian 11 with v31 about a month ago and the
problem is fixed. A couple of other differences I noted: the XineramaScreen
parameter no longer exists, but it's not needed now since the -geometry
option works correctly for size and offset. I use:

-geometry 1280x720+1920+0

to start a frontend on the second screen. The main frontend is on the
third screen (The TV).

> Paul H.

Augustine