however, an issue that sometimes pushes me to choose one over the other.
Leanfront will often display embedded subtitles when mythfrontend wont.
Mythfrontent recognises the subtitles are there and allows them to be
enabled, but then doesn't display anything.

I'm building my own packages. Could it be that I'm leaving off a build
flag that is important for working subtitles?

On the other hand, for external subtitles, I find that leanfront doesn't
handle them, whereas Mythfrontend usually does.

Re: Leanfront better support for embedded subtitles than mythfrontend [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2021-06-06 at 12:04 +0100, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> Leanfront and Mythfrontend are both working really well for me these
> days, and I tend to choose which to use fairly randomly. There is,
> however, an issue that sometimes pushes me to choose one over the
> other.
> Leanfront will often display embedded subtitles when mythfrontend
> wont.
> Mythfrontent recognises the subtitles are there and allows them to be
> enabled, but then doesn't display anything.
>
> I'm building my own packages. Could it be that I'm leaving off a
> build
> flag that is important for working subtitles?
>
> On the other hand, for external subtitles, I find that leanfront
> doesn't
> handle them, whereas Mythfrontend usually does.

same here, but in the android mythfrontend, i find if you set the
decode to opengl as opposed to mediacodec the subtitles display. so i
believe its something to do with the mediacodec. this on an nvidia
shield.
Re: Leanfront better support for embedded subtitles than mythfrontend [ In reply to ]
On 06/06/2021 12:14, glen wrote:
> On Sun, 2021-06-06 at 12:04 +0100, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>> Leanfront and Mythfrontend are both working really well for me these
>> days, and I tend to choose which to use fairly randomly. There is,
>> however, an issue that sometimes pushes me to choose one over the other.
>> Leanfront will often display embedded subtitles when mythfrontend wont.
>> Mythfrontent recognises the subtitles are there and allows them to be
>> enabled, but then doesn't display anything.
>>
>> I'm building my own packages. Could it be that I'm leaving off a build
>> flag that is important for working subtitles?
>>
>> On the other hand, for external subtitles, I find that leanfront doesn't
>> handle them, whereas Mythfrontend usually does.

That's interesting. My frontend is a NUC, using VAAPI and OpenGL. It
never occurred to me that the subtitles may be decoding okay but failing
to display. I will experiment.
Re: Leanfront better support for embedded subtitles than mythfrontend [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2021-06-06 at 12:52 +0100, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> On 06/06/2021 12:14, glen wrote:
> > On Sun, 2021-06-06 at 12:04 +0100, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> > > Leanfront and Mythfrontend are both working really well for me
> > > these
> > > days, and I tend to choose which to use fairly randomly. There
> > > is,
> > > however, an issue that sometimes pushes me to choose one over the
> > > other.
> > > Leanfront will often display embedded subtitles when mythfrontend
> > > wont.
> > > Mythfrontent recognises the subtitles are there and allows them
> > > to be
> > > enabled, but then doesn't display anything.
> > >
> > > I'm building my own packages. Could it be that I'm leaving off a
> > > build
> > > flag that is important for working subtitles?
> > >
> > > On the other hand, for external subtitles, I find that leanfront
> > > doesn't
> > > handle them, whereas Mythfrontend usually does.
>
> That's interesting. My frontend is a NUC, using VAAPI and OpenGL. It
> never occurred to me that the subtitles may be decoding okay but
> failing
> to display. I will experiment.
in android, also kodi i cannot get to display subtitles on most
recordings. i choose between the 3 in android. i have a hard time
moving around forward and back in leanfront, i get long delays and
leanfront does not support commercial skip, but to me the leanfront has
the best quality of playback and better audio.
Re: Leanfront better support for embedded subtitles than mythfrontend [ In reply to ]
See issue https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues/364
TLDR: In mythfrontend ATSC CC subtitles are not displayed when NVDEC is
selected. With VDPAU, VAAPI and FFmpeg the ATSC subtitles are displayed.
DVB subtitles are always displayed also with NVDEC.

Re: Leanfront better support for embedded subtitles than mythfrontend [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2021-06-06 at 14:27 +0200, Klaas de Waal wrote:
> See issue http://email.mg.glenb.net/c/eJwljbsOwyAUQ78m2YoC3PAYGLp061Z1By6ESHlUgVTq3_dKkTwc27KMLmaPI_SzQ5M8Fyj4CDmDxmCiQMu5VNlYq1Bon0etI4t-TUsHw7SkLbAttb44kaj2g1FSI00xSwkaLEJQ1hhp-8WV1j61k_dOPEjT3MoZWNxXMs9fK683wUrQvgRzrWeqBFJBf7grv501HZWeL8v2Y_oDiV872g
> TLDR: In mythfrontend ATSC CC subtitles are not displayed when NVDEC
> is selected. With VDPAU, VAAPI and FFmpeg the ATSC subtitles are
> displayed. DVB subtitles are always displayed also with NVDEC.
that is frontend not in android. in android as far as i know, the
codecs are mediacodec or ffmpeg (opengl). i only know that leanfront
uses the x/o player for playback the codec is not selectable but it
renders the subtitles. the mythfrontend android you can choose among
codecs/decoding and there for me if the playback shows ffmpeg from
selecting opengl, i get subtitles, if it shows mediacodec i don't get
subtitles. probably peter bennett could answer better.

Re: Leanfront better support for embedded subtitles than mythfrontend [ In reply to ]
On 06/06/2021 12:04, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> Leanfront and Mythfrontend are both working really well for me these
> days, and I tend to choose which to use fairly randomly. There is,
> however, an issue that sometimes pushes me to choose one over the other.
> Leanfront will often display embedded subtitles when mythfrontend wont.
> Mythfrontent recognises the subtitles are there and allows them to be
> enabled, but then doesn't display anything.
>
> I'm building my own packages. Could it be that I'm leaving off a build
> flag that is important for working subtitles?
>
> On the other hand, for external subtitles, I find that leanfront doesn't
> handle them, whereas Mythfrontend usually does.

I stupidly left out a very important condition in describing this
problem. For recorded broadcast content, both Leanfront and Mythfrontent
display subtitles just fine. It is downloaded content where I see
Leanfront displaying subtitles and Mythfrontend not.

ffmpeg outputs this for the problematic streams:

Stream #0:2(eng): Subtitle: subrip
Re: Leanfront better support for embedded subtitles than mythfrontend [ In reply to ]
Hoi Paul,

Sunday, June 6, 2021, 6:15:57 PM, you wrote:

> On 06/06/2021 12:04, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>> Leanfront and Mythfrontend are both working really well for me these
>> days, and I tend to choose which to use fairly randomly. There is,
>> however, an issue that sometimes pushes me to choose one over the other.
>> Leanfront will often display embedded subtitles when mythfrontend wont.
>> Mythfrontent recognises the subtitles are there and allows them to be
>> enabled, but then doesn't display anything.
>>
>> I'm building my own packages. Could it be that I'm leaving off a build
>> flag that is important for working subtitles?
>>
>> On the other hand, for external subtitles, I find that leanfront doesn't
>> handle them, whereas Mythfrontend usually does.
>>

> I stupidly left out a very important condition in describing this
> problem. For recorded broadcast content, both Leanfront and Mythfrontent
> display subtitles just fine. It is downloaded content where I see
> Leanfront displaying subtitles and Mythfrontend not.

> ffmpeg outputs this for the problematic streams:

> Stream #0:2(eng): Subtitle: subrip

Could possibly come from the subtitles then being a separate optional
item in the video container (like on a dvd) that at view time must get
pasted into the videoimages, where in the other case it is already
pre-broadcast integrated in the video signal.
It could be that that separate subtitle format is not fully supported.
Re-encoding with the subtitles directly in the video stream then could
help.

Tot mails,
Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop
Het eeuwige dilemma

De lerende Mens

Re: Leanfront better support for embedded subtitles than mythfrontend [ In reply to ]
Hoi Hika,

Sunday, June 6, 2021, 10:44:10 PM, you wrote:

> Hoi Paul,

> Sunday, June 6, 2021, 6:15:57 PM, you wrote:

>> On 06/06/2021 12:04, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>>> Leanfront and Mythfrontend are both working really well for me these
>>> days, and I tend to choose which to use fairly randomly. There is,
>>> however, an issue that sometimes pushes me to choose one over the other.
>>> Leanfront will often display embedded subtitles when mythfrontend wont.
>>> Mythfrontent recognises the subtitles are there and allows them to be
>>> enabled, but then doesn't display anything.
>>>
>>> I'm building my own packages. Could it be that I'm leaving off a build
>>> flag that is important for working subtitles?
>>>
>>> On the other hand, for external subtitles, I find that leanfront doesn't
>>> handle them, whereas Mythfrontend usually does.
>>>

>> I stupidly left out a very important condition in describing this
>> problem. For recorded broadcast content, both Leanfront and Mythfrontent
>> display subtitles just fine. It is downloaded content where I see
>> Leanfront displaying subtitles and Mythfrontend not.

>> ffmpeg outputs this for the problematic streams:

>> Stream #0:2(eng): Subtitle: subrip

> Could possibly come from the subtitles then being a separate optional
> item in the video container (like on a dvd) that at view time must get
> pasted into the videoimages, where in the other case it is already
> pre-broadcast integrated in the video signal.
> It could be that that separate subtitle format is not fully supported.
> Re-encoding with the subtitles directly in the video stream then could
> help.

Also with optional subtitles you can see if you can set color and/or
transparency. It could be that it is there, but fully transparent. So
then you do not see it.

Re: Leanfront better support for embedded subtitles than mythfrontend [ In reply to ]
On 06/06/2021 21:44, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Hoi Paul,
>
> Sunday, June 6, 2021, 6:15:57 PM, you wrote:
>
>> On 06/06/2021 12:04, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>>> Leanfront and Mythfrontend are both working really well for me these
>>> days, and I tend to choose which to use fairly randomly. There is,
>>> however, an issue that sometimes pushes me to choose one over the other.
>>> Leanfront will often display embedded subtitles when mythfrontend wont.
>>> Mythfrontent recognises the subtitles are there and allows them to be
>>> enabled, but then doesn't display anything.
>>>
>>> I'm building my own packages. Could it be that I'm leaving off a build
>>> flag that is important for working subtitles?
>>>
>>> On the other hand, for external subtitles, I find that leanfront doesn't
>>> handle them, whereas Mythfrontend usually does.
>>>

>> I stupidly left out a very important condition in describing this
>> problem. For recorded broadcast content, both Leanfront and Mythfrontent
>> display subtitles just fine. It is downloaded content where I see
>> Leanfront displaying subtitles and Mythfrontend not.
>
>> ffmpeg outputs this for the problematic streams:
>
>> Stream #0:2(eng): Subtitle: subrip
>
> Could possibly come from the subtitles then being a separate optional
> item in the video container (like on a dvd) that at view time must get
> pasted into the videoimages, where in the other case it is already
> pre-broadcast integrated in the video signal.

If I'm understanding what you are suggesting correctly, would not the
integrated ones be impossible to turn off?