Mailing List Archive

The future of MythTV
We can see from the number of Scheduled Direct users and the Smolt data
that MythTV is losing users at an ever increasing rate.  We think one
reason for this is it's getting harder and harder to record stuff
because more services are becoming encrypted requiring proprietary boxes
to view and record content and some services are moving to an on-demand
type of service that are hard or impossible to record.

So the question is what improvements would you like to see in MythTV in
the future that would persuade you to continue to use it? Would you like
to see better support for YouTube for example or a better video media
library. Better music player? Support for IPTV services? What plugins do
you use?  What plugins would you like to see? Are you happy with the
user interface or would you like to see a more modern one?

Give us your thoughts on what direction you would like to see MythTV
take now it's original purpose is slowing being killed of.

Paul H.

Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
Hi Paul,

On 04/06/2021 15:17, Paul Harrison wrote:
> We can see from the number of Scheduled Direct users and the Smolt data

> that MythTV is losing users at an ever increasing rate.  We think one
> reason for this is it's getting harder and harder to record stuff
> because more services are becoming encrypted requiring proprietary boxes
> to view and record content and some services are moving to an on-demand

> type of service that are hard or impossible to record.
>

> So the question is what improvements would you like to see in MythTV in

> the future that would persuade you to continue to use it? Would you like
> to see better support for YouTube for example or a better video media
> library. Better music player? Support for IPTV services? What plugins do
> you use?  What plugins would you like to see? Are you happy with the
> user interface or would you like to see a more modern one?
>

> Give us your thoughts on what direction you would like to see MythTV
> take now it's original purpose is slowing being killed of.

I've been using MythTV since it replaced a TiVo some eight years ago.

My main criticism is that the frontend no longer plays HD content
fluidly on my RaspberryPi 3, and so I now use a Kodi frontend with the
MythTV backend. If the frontend played HD content better, then I would
ditch Kodi again.

I have minor issues with things like internet radio being very flaky to
set up and use.

I don't intend to use paid-for streaming services or the like.

Regards

Jeff
Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
I think there are two issues:

1. The on-demand trend, as Paul noted. We've started watching more and
more content from sources not recordable by Myth: YouTube, NetFlix,
Peacock, Disney Plus+, Amazon Prime Video. I'd love to have a way to
meta-search across all of these for something, since figuring out who
has what is really difficult right now. But, obviously, it doesn't make
sense for Myth to do this sort of searching if it can't actually play
the content. That, I fear, would be really hard to do.  Despite all the
instructions I've found for getting Widevine DRM set up with Chrome and
FireFox under Linux, I can't even get that to work.

2. Fragmentation of device use. These days, everyone in my family has
their own device (laptop, Chromebook, tablet, phone) and we often watch
content alone on those devices, rather than gathering around a single
TV. If there was a single media hub to rule them all, it would have to
work well on all devices.

Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
Hi Paul,

On 6/4/2021 8:17 AM, Paul Harrison wrote:
> So the question is what improvements would you like to see in MythTV in
> the future that would persuade you to continue to use it? Would you like
> to see better support for YouTube for example or a better video media
> library. Better music player? Support for IPTV services? What plugins do
> you use?  What plugins would you like to see? Are you happy with the
> user interface or would you like to see a more modern one?

Our family's TV viewing has mostly shifted to streaming services,
although there are still a few things we record off the air. The main
thing I would like to see is better youtube support, or possibly a
remote control friendly web browser plugin to access streaming services.

I'd also like to see integration of local media with recorded shows, I
remember there was talk of that coming a while back, not sure what the
current status is.

HDMI-CEC support would definitely be a big plus, roku has spoiled us in
that respect, although that's really not anything mythtv can fix alone.

thanks,
-kevin
Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
On 6/4/21 8:17 AM, Paul Harrison wrote:
> We can see from the number of Scheduled Direct users and the Smolt data
> that MythTV is losing users at an ever increasing rate.  We think one
> reason for this is it's getting harder and harder to record stuff
> because more services are becoming encrypted requiring proprietary boxes
> to view and record content and some services are moving to an on-demand
> type of service that are hard or impossible to record.
>

> So the question is what improvements would you like to see in MythTV in
> the future that would persuade you to continue to use it? Would you like
> to see better support for YouTube for example or a better video media
> library. Better music player? Support for IPTV services? What plugins do
> you use?  What plugins would you like to see? Are you happy with the
> user interface or would you like to see a more modern one?
>

> Give us your thoughts on what direction you would like to see MythTV
> take now it's original purpose is slowing being killed of.
>

> Paul H.

HD and 4k playback, with good surround audio support. I have no trouble
getting content. I still record a lot of TV but would also like to be
able to play 4k media. I have Firestick 4ks on every TV. And leanfront
just isn't quite a viable option because we watch live tv and flip
channels a lot.
Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
On 2021-06-04 14:17, Paul Harrison wrote:
> Give us your thoughts on what direction you would like to see MythTV
> take now it's original purpose is slowing being killed of.

We watch quite a bit from Netflix et al. using an Nvidia Shield but kept
the mythfrontend box as it does frame rate switching for our recorded
stuff and our video collection. I don't see us dropping MythTV as our
recordings are from Freeview DVB which won't go encrypted and should be
around for a few years. MythTV commercial skipping is brilliant.

What would be nice is to get the web interface to the backend to be as
useful as mythweb for scheduling recordings. I'm still using mythweb,
but it is showing signs of bit-rot.

Thanks for all the effort the devs have put in, and please don't drop
it.
Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
On 04/06/2021 15:18, TimP wrote:
> On 2021-06-04 14:17, Paul Harrison wrote:
>> Give us your thoughts on what direction you would like to see MythTV
>> take now it's original purpose is slowing being killed of.
>
> We watch quite a bit from Netflix et al. using an Nvidia Shield but kept
> the mythfrontend box as it does frame rate switching for our recorded
> stuff and our video collection. I don't see us dropping MythTV as our
> recordings are from Freeview DVB which won't go encrypted and should be
> around for a few years. MythTV commercial skipping is brilliant.
>
> What would be nice is to get the web interface to the backend to be as
> useful as mythweb for scheduling recordings. I'm still using mythweb,
> but it is showing signs of bit-rot.

We are fully aware of this one, and work has been done towards this
goal. It is however slow progress :(

> Thanks for all the effort the devs have put in, and please don't drop it.

No plans!

Regards
Stuart
Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
On 6/4/21 9:17 AM, Paul Harrison wrote:
> We can see from the number of Scheduled Direct users and the Smolt
> data that MythTV is losing users at an ever increasing rate.  We think
> one reason for this is it's getting harder and harder to record stuff
> because more services are becoming encrypted requiring proprietary
> boxes to view and record content and some services are moving to an
> on-demand type of service that are hard or impossible to record.
>

> So the question is what improvements would you like to see in MythTV
> in the future that would persuade you to continue to use it? Would you
> like to see better support for YouTube for example or a better video
> media library. Better music player? Support for IPTV services? What
> plugins do you use?  What plugins would you like to see? Are you happy
> with the user interface or would you like to see a more modern one?
>

> Give us your thoughts on what direction you would like to see MythTV
> take now it's original purpose is slowing being killed of.
>

> Paul H.

I still use mythtv the same as I did back when the earth first cooled.
I record USA OTA ATSC 1.0 recordings. They currently are all HD, either
1080i or 720p. I see no change in that with the exception of possibly
moving to ATSC 3.0 NextGen TV.

However, my wife and I watch a lot of streaming services like Netflix
and SlingTV in addition to recorded OTA network shows from CBS, ABC,
NBC, Fox, and PBS. To make it simple to integrate all of this content, I
use a Nvidia Shield TV with either mythfrontend or leanfront for mythtv
content and the streaming services apps for their content. It's seamless
to switch between them.

My wife's eye isn't as critical as mine so for her Leanfront on a FireTV
4K stick is very good, meaning no complaints to me. When I test her
FIreTV 4K I see less quality with the picture using mythfrontend, but my
wife only uses Leanfront, so no issues.

We both use the TV's builtin tuner for LiveTV, so that feature isn't a
care for mythtv.

However, I do record sports and watch them a 1/2 hour behind to skip
commercials.

A key feature for me is mythfrontend's Manage Recordings. Since video
quality isn't an issue when using that tool, I can run it from any
device to setup recordings.

However, I do use mythweb through a VPN so I can get back to my MythTV
while on the road to manage recordings that need immediate attention.

Jim A

P.S. Above describes what we regularly use.  But I'm one of those 70
year olds with nothing better to do than try everything computer
related.  So I have a 5x1 HDMI switch on my 4K TV so I can test not only
Shield TV, but also RPI4, AMD Ryzen gaming PC, etc. But when it comes to
watching for entertainment, it's the Shield TV for me. It's a very good
solution for USA OTA Mythtv and streaming.

Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
> Op 4 jun. 2021, om 16:30 heeft Stuart Auchterlonie <stuarta@squashedfrog.net> het volgende geschreven:
>
> On 04/06/2021 15:18, TimP wrote:
>> On 2021-06-04 14:17, Paul Harrison wrote:
>>> Give us your thoughts on what direction you would like to see MythTV
>>> take now it's original purpose is slowing being killed of.
>> We watch quite a bit from Netflix et al. using an Nvidia Shield but kept the mythfrontend box as it does frame rate switching for our recorded stuff and our video collection. I don't see us dropping MythTV as our recordings are from Freeview DVB which won't go encrypted and should be around for a few years. MythTV commercial skipping is brilliant.
>> What would be nice is to get the web interface to the backend to be as useful as mythweb for scheduling recordings. I'm still using mythweb, but it is showing signs of bit-rot.
>
> We are fully aware of this one, and work has been done towards this
> goal. It is however slow progress :(
>
>> Thanks for all the effort the devs have put in, and please don't drop it.
>
> No plans!

I’ll try to stick with MythTv as long as i can, as I have been using it since 0.17 or so. (2006?). However, I have to use an external decryption program to decode the channels using my CI card. I tried last winter to link the CI card and DVB-S2 receivers directly as per instructions from the receiver manufacturer. That was not successful as at best I could receive one program at the time, whereas the CI card should at least decode 4 channels simultaneously in this setup. (It actually does 8)
So, given that my only option at the moment is using an unsupported loopback device I’ll stick with Myth as long as that works.
All my DVB-S2 channels are also available as streams and I would love a feature that allows recording multiple streams like they were regular TV channels using the same scheduler and ad skipping, (which works perfect by the way).
I can use streams and DVB-S2 under the same subscription, so it would be easy to switch.

I understand that IPTV is only standardised in name, but there are many variations in content delivery, protection and stream protocols. For my streams I only need a password/username linked to paying account.

Johan

Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
First, thanks to everyone who make MythTV a great way to record and
watch TV. My TV watching life is much improved since I first installed
MythTV back in 2011.

Personally I think that MythTV has become more difficult to install.

As I see it the areas of increased setup difficultly are:

- Lack of Mythbuntu distro which made it easy to install all the pieces
at once.

- Setting up Schedules Direct for MythTV 31 with the new command line
based XMLTV grabber methods is harder than with the previous Data Direct
web based channel selection method.

- Changing settings in the GUI is sometimes non-intuitive such as in
Video setup section with entries that can be clicked on to pop up a
selection list, but also have a right arrow option to open a screen of
additional options.

- Setting up remote controls such as MCE units is harder because LIRC
does not work out-of-the-box.

I believe the above items reduce the number of people who would persist
through the difficulty to eventually achieve a working MythTV installation.

With all that said, overall I am impressed with MythTV and the volunteer
effort that has made it a great tool for consuming television content.

Best Regards,
Curtis Gedak
Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
On 6/4/21 8:17 AM, Paul Harrison wrote:

> Give us your thoughts on what direction you would like to see MythTV take now it's original purpose is slowing being killed of.

Hey Paul,

First - thanks for almost 2 decades (for me) of MythTV. I put together my first system in 2004.

I currently use MythTV primarily as my OTA recording back-end and then share the recording directory with Plex (or I have a job to trim flagged commercials/transcode/save into another directory structure Plex can see). I do all my recording with HDHR Tuners over my network.

The only real reason I brought Plex into the mix was:

 1: Android Device support for playback (and from the cloud. In my car, I use Plex to play music via Android Auto)
    (sidenote: to this day it's flaky and doesn't always work -- and while my MP3 collection has all the ID3 tags carefully set, Plex's music scanner seems to ignore that and insist on organizing some of my music by folder instead of ID3 tag.)

 2: The Plex Android client had a mobile-device photo-sync (that feature has been removed - apparently Plex can't keep it working. Abandoning it pissed off a lot of users. Personally, I had one friend jump on a lifetime plexpass for that one feature and now it's gone.)

 3: Plex Mobile Client and via web client can cast to things like ChromeCast. If I'm watching on a TV/Projector, that's how I do it.

 4: Bonus Item: Plex users can share content with other plex users. (the whole "add friends" thing)

-------------------

If I could cover those things with MythTV -- I would have MythTV would shift back to becoming the central component to my media system... Plex would only serve for sharing my stored content with friends.
(and if MythTV incorporated some way to share that and was reasonably priced, I'm sure those users would shift over as well.)

Cheers and thanks,

 -Ben
Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
Hi

I was a long time user of MythTV until about 4 years ago (so some of my
thoughts maybe a little dated). I left MythTV not because of any intrinsic
fault of it. Hardware failure and personal circumstances dictated a
different solution (a Humax). I'm in the UK, which is probably slightly
different to the rest of the world.

What I loved about MythTV:

MythWeb
Clever searches (record anything with Michael Caine in for example). I used
this a lot.
Remember all the episodes of something and don't record them again.
Automatically rearrange schedules to accommodate recordings that clash.
The distributed nature of the architecture. Central recordings multiple
front-ends all over the house.

The things I wasn't so keen on:

Installation.
Upgrading.
Ongoing maintenance.

These are what has put me off returning (though I will soon, as overall the
system is better than the Humax).

But, for all it's faults a can just switch on the Humax and it works.

So with that in mind, it maybe good to look at what some of the other open
source projects have done to make getting it up and running easily and
without having to have a masters in IT things to get it working. I think
this maybe a barrier to entry. If you, for example take Home Assistant,
which is probably one of the bigger ones. When I started using it, it was
mostly configuring yaml files to to automations and configure devices. With
every recently release, they have progressively removed the need to have
devices configured with YAML and also removed the need for the unskilled
user to setup automations using YAML. All these have been moved to a nice
easy to use GUI. Those techie enough can still do automations using YAML,
Python etc). Upgrades are now easier if you have the OS provided by them
as you can snapshot and roll back if it goes wrong. I think there is a lot
to be learnt from a project like that which is keen to attract the man on
the street. It might also be useful to have a Home Assistant integration
(or any other automation systems) for MythTV, this may have the side effect
of attracting more users in your direction.

Also, yes the world is moving on for broadcast TV, you are competing
against big subscription services and you will never win against those, but
I think the FTA still has a place. Not everyone want to pay 10 quid a month
to 10+ subscription services.

and embrace free steaming TV services Youtube, bitchute etc.

If you do improve Youtube, please make it skip ads,the experience on
android TV Youtube app drives my up the wall :-)

These are just the views of an outsider looking to get back in.

:-)

Max

Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jun 4, 2021, 9:27 AM Paul Harrison, <mythtv@mythqml.net> wrote:

> Give us your thoughts on what direction you would like to see MythTV
> take now it's original purpose is slowing being killed of.

First off, I've been using MythTV since I ditched cable in 2011. A million
thank yous to the developers and community.

I use MythTV to record OTA TV in North America and I'm slowly adding to my
video library.

Streaming services: I have had some different streaming boxes over the
years and since changing to another hdmi source is not heavy lifting, I
don't need MythTV to be a Swiss army knife and interface with YouTube,
Netflix, etc.

Video library: I haven't used Plex but it appears the library interface is
more attractive. But I don't sit staring at the library interface for
hours, so as long as I can choose something from my library and play it
well, that's what's important. Support for 4K too.

Recording/playback TV: I use this a lot to track down episodes of shows we
watch, want to discover on OTA TV. Again, the important thing is good
playback and support for the eventual 4K atsc3 broadcasts.

I agree lirc can be a headache but a Flirc dongle gets around that, or a
Bluetooth remote.

Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
On Friday, 4 June 2021 14:17:48 BST Paul Harrison wrote:
> We can see from the number of Scheduled Direct users and the Smolt data
> that MythTV is losing users at an ever increasing rate. We think one
> reason for this is it's getting harder and harder to record stuff
> because more services are becoming encrypted requiring proprietary boxes
> to view and record content and some services are moving to an on-demand
> type of service that are hard or impossible to record.
>

> So the question is what improvements would you like to see in MythTV in
> the future that would persuade you to continue to use it? Would you like
> to see better support for YouTube for example or a better video media
> library. Better music player? Support for IPTV services? What plugins do
> you use? What plugins would you like to see? Are you happy with the
> user interface or would you like to see a more modern one?
>

> Give us your thoughts on what direction you would like to see MythTV
> take now it's original purpose is slowing being killed of.
>

> Paul H.

Hello,

As a UK user I record most of my TV from OTA using DVB-T/T2 EIT and I use
MythTV every day. I use Mytharchive and occasionally Firefox browser on the
same box as MythTV for BBC iplayer and Britbox.

Mythfrontend/backend user interface is fine as are the various themes.

Installing/upgrading can be an adventure! But having written down the steps
after several clean installs/database restores I get there in the end.

Thanks for all the work involved in MythTV. If you could extend the number of
hours in the day so I could catch up with all the recordings I have on MythTV
that would be great.

Regards Steve.

Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
Paul Harrison wrote:

> We can see from the number of Scheduled Direct users and the Smolt
> data that MythTV is losing users at an ever increasing rate.  We think
> one reason for this is it's getting harder and harder to record stuff
> because more services are becoming encrypted requiring proprietary
> boxes to view and record content and some services are moving to an
> on-demand type of service that are hard or impossible to record.
>

> So the question is what improvements would you like to see in MythTV
> in the future that would persuade you to continue to use it? Would you
> like to see better support for YouTube for example or a better video
> media library. Better music player? Support for IPTV services? What
> plugins do you use?  What plugins would you like to see? Are you happy
> with the user interface or would you like to see a more modern one?
>
> Give us your thoughts on what direction you would like to see MythTV
> take now it's original purpose is slowing being killed of.

I have been using MythtV since 2012, recording off FTA satellite
broadcasts. For encrypted stuff (local telly), I have a receiver card
with a CAM module.

I have two satellite dishes and six LNBs - the two-three times a year of
re-tuning/-scanning to keep up with channels moving around can get a
little tedious. I think there is room for improvement.

Also, the ability to specify the language of the audio stream(s) when
recording would be nice - I get lots of recordings in languages I don't
understand.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (19.8°C)

Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]

Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
> So the question is what improvements would you like to see in MythTV in the future that would persuade you to continue to use it? Would you like to see better support for YouTube
> for example or a better video media library. Better music player? Support for IPTV services? What plugins do you use? What plugins would you like to see? Are you happy with the
> user interface or would you like to see a more modern one?

Hi,

I have been a user for 10y+ and we continue to use it all the time. Its great and huge thanks to the developers and those who support on this list.

I run it on CentOS 7 and are currently on 0.29, I want to update but frankly don't have the time. I use it as a backend with Kodi on Windows on the front - it's a pragmatic solution, means we can do other things with the frontend, can update the OS easily and Kodi has soooooo many plugins.

Want I want
I really want some way to re-organize recordings in an easy manner. Something through MythWeb would be desirable with drag and drop being absolutely fantastic. I have Doctor Who in so many areas because of the different titles not to mention movie franchises like James Bond, Despicable, Cars and so on.

In New Zealand we still get a good selection of FTA and no encryption so, yeah, keep it rockin'

Tony

Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
On 04/06/2021 20:39, Per Jessen wrote:
> Paul Harrison wrote:
>
>> We can see from the number of Scheduled Direct users and the Smolt
>> data that MythTV is losing users at an ever increasing rate.  We think
>> one reason for this is it's getting harder and harder to record stuff
>> because more services are becoming encrypted requiring proprietary
>> boxes to view and record content and some services are moving to an
>> on-demand type of service that are hard or impossible to record.
>>

>> So the question is what improvements would you like to see in MythTV
>> in the future that would persuade you to continue to use it? Would you
>> like to see better support for YouTube for example or a better video
>> media library. Better music player? Support for IPTV services? What
>> plugins do you use?  What plugins would you like to see? Are you happy
>> with the user interface or would you like to see a more modern one?
>>
>> Give us your thoughts on what direction you would like to see MythTV
>> take now it's original purpose is slowing being killed of.
>
> I have been using MythtV since 2012, recording off FTA satellite
> broadcasts. For encrypted stuff (local telly), I have a receiver card
> with a CAM module.
>
> I have two satellite dishes and six LNBs - the two-three times a year of
> re-tuning/-scanning to keep up with channels moving around can get a
> little tedious. I think there is room for improvement.
>
> Also, the ability to specify the language of the audio stream(s) when
> recording would be nice - I get lots of recordings in languages I don't
> understand.

Playback in Mythfrontend has the NEXTAUDIO key, by default + , which
ought to step through the available options. For DVB-T/T2 in the UK I
think that usually gives an
audio-description-for-the-visually-handicapped track, but you will
probably have others.

Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
Paul Harrison says:
> So the question is what improvements would you like to see in MythTV
> in the future that would persuade you to continue to use it? Would
> you like to see better support for YouTube for example or a better
> video media library.

I find that I use YouTube 95% of the time on my Shield. The SmartTube Next client often breaks; a better, ad-skipping YouTube client within MythFrontend would be very welcome.

--
Frontend: Apple MacBook Pro 2012, Nvidia Shield 2017
Backend: HP Microserver N40L 1.5GHz with 4x3TB HDDs
Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
On 04/06/2021 18:35, Max Hodgson wrote:

> and embrace free steaming TV services Youtube, bitchute etc.

I can't argue with you there :)

--

Mike Perkins

Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
On 04/06/2021 21:54, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 04/06/2021 20:39, Per Jessen wrote:
>>
>> Also, the ability to specify the language of the audio stream(s) when
>> recording would be nice - I get lots of recordings in languages I don't
>> understand.
>
> Playback in Mythfrontend has the NEXTAUDIO key, by default + , which ought to step through the
> available options.  For DVB-T/T2 in the UK I think that usually gives an
> audio-description-for-the-visually-handicapped track, but you will probably have others.

Perhaps there should be a way to specify the desired language in setup or the recording rule? Use
that if it exists and if not, a suitable default?

I wouldn't think that multiple language options would be thought a priority to a US user, but there
are french and spanish services, if not other local language transmissions.

--

Mike Perkins

Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 4 Jun 2021, 11:27 pm Paul Harrison, <mythtv@mythqml.net> wrote:

> So the question is what improvements would you like to see in MythTV in
> the future that would persuade you to continue to use it? Would you like
> to see better support for YouTube for example or a better video media
> library. Better music player? Support for IPTV services? What plugins do
> you use? What plugins would you like to see? Are you happy with the
> user interface or would you like to see a more modern one?

I've been using MythTV for 20 years. These days I still record FTA but even
though I love Mythfrontend I use other frontends to watch (such as
Leanfront from a Google TV device).

I agree with other commenters that the loss of MythBuntu was huge because
that made a very complex setup process easier. And the LIRC setup is
impossible difficult to expect most people to deal with.

I had a play with TV Headend a while back. It's back-end only, but the
installation and setup is quick and easy so worth looking at for ideas on
how to improve ease of install for MythTV.

The other area I think could be improved a lot is channel setup, especially
rescans and the issues that causes with duplicate channels I remember it
being a lot easier in TV Headend.

I really hope MythTV doesn't go away because it's incredibly powerful. But
I guess that's also why it's difficult for people who don't like to fiddle
with tech.

Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
I've been with mythtv for a very long time!

Here are my suggestions:

A) Continue to focus on mythtvbackend, since recording/commercial
flagging/transcoding are the favorite features.
B) De-emphasize the mythtv-frontend, because the frontend seems always
lagging Plex / Kodi, feature set, performance, and polish.
C) Instead of having your own mythtv-frontend, work to improve plugins and
integrations with Kodi/Plex, Android and other platforms.

I am an old-school mythtv person. I still run mythtv and the
mythtv-frontend because I am so used to it and it works for my purposes. I
run them on a mini-mac and a raspberry pi 4.
On my windows box, I use Kodi to access the recordings and watch from it.

Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
On 6/4/21 5:47 PM, Phill Edwards wrote:
> I agree with other commenters that the loss of MythBuntu was huge because that made a very complex setup process easier. And the LIRC setup is
> impossible difficult to expect most people to deal with.

Just FYI, there are posts on the Forum from 'heyted' who resurrected
the control panel. I haven't used myself though.

https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?t=3789#p18207

--
Bill
Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
I have to mostly agree with the previous points both as a user and previous
maintainer of MythTV on RPM Fusion.

The up front setup can be quite difficult and honestly, if my system took a
dump, it would take me quite some time to fix it.

I've already given up on live TV playback. It broke some time ago and I
fixed it, and then some time later it broke again (exits pretty much
immediately) and I've just stopped worrying about it. The only time it
matters is for a special live TV event like the superbowl. Everything else
we just watch "later".

That brings me to my second point. I don't use the frontend anymore in
favor of Plex. All of my TVs either have a Roku box, or have it built in. I
think the "frontend" game is basically lost. Like others LIRC has become
hopelessly broken and I just don't have time to "make it work anymore".
I've previously conveyed that I thought of MythTV as Labor of Love, but I
just can't devote the time to it anymore. I just need things to work.

So what does that mean? I would like MythTV to focus on the things it does
best, record things. I would LOVE the mythweb to direct backend
configuration to get the attention it deserves and FINISH!

I would like Plex integration to be seamless.

Those are the things that will keep me using it even though I don't
maintain the RPM Fusion packages anymore.

Thanks,
Richard

1 2 3 4  View All