Mailing List Archive

1 2 3 4  View All
Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 7, 2021 at 1:29 PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:

> There is currently no process for getting metadata for videos from
> Schedules Direct. A quick look at the SD API indicates that in order to
> get metadata you need a SD program id, which is a number such as
> ["EP000000060003"]. These come with your schedule download but I don't
> see ho to get them from a program title.

As I recall, Gracenote (the upstream for Schedules
Direct) does offer a separately licensed API to do
content discovery based on various search criteria,
and, not surprisingly, there are other companies
offering equivalent capabilities.

Presumably there is a business opportunity there
for someone if they believe enough people would be
willing to pay for good metadata lookup capabilities.
Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
On 04/06/2021 14:47, Jeff wrote:
>> So the question is what improvements would you like to see in MythTV in
>
> My main criticism is that the frontend no longer plays HD content
> fluidly on my RaspberryPi 3, and so I now use a Kodi frontend with the
> MythTV backend. If the frontend played HD content better, then I would
> ditch Kodi again.

I'd like to second Jeff's point about HD content on a Raspberry Pi 3.

Chris

Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jun 04, 2021 at 02:17:48PM +0100, Paul Harrison wrote:

> So the question is what improvements would you like to see in MythTV in the
> future that would persuade you to continue to use it? Would you like to see
> better support for YouTube for example or a better video media library.
> Better music player? Support for IPTV services? What plugins do you use?
> What plugins would you like to see? Are you happy with the user interface or
> would you like to see a more modern one?

I have been using MythTV since 2006 and mostly used it to record
DVB-T/T2 but

I have been using MythTV since 2006 and mostly used to record
from DVB-T/T2. Sees more and more need to integrate with
streaming services where you need to be able to log in.

With each upgrade, I have always felt some concern that my
working system would stop working. And often I have had to
scan channels and reconfigure channel lists.

I would like to see MythTV as the hub of a system, partly with
a focus on being able to more easily integrate different sources
for streaming services (free/paid), and partly with a focus on
being able to more easily integrate into any frontend.

Having to do the configuration in the same interface as the
MythTV itself, I have always felt like a limitation and would
have preferred it to be done in a standard desktop interface.

With that said, I'm still very grateful for all the work that
goes into MythTV.

Best regards,
Peter Carlsson
Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
John Pilkington wrote:

> On 04/06/2021 20:39, Per Jessen wrote:
>> Also, the ability to specify the language of the audio stream(s) when
>> recording would be nice - I get lots of recordings in languages I
>> don't understand.
>
> Playback in Mythfrontend has the NEXTAUDIO key, by default + , which
> ought to step through the available options. For DVB-T/T2 in the UK I
> think that usually gives an
> audio-description-for-the-visually-handicapped track, but you will
> probably have others.

Yes, that works very well, but it would be nice to say "record this
title, but only if it has sound in one of (lang1,lang2)" - popular
series are often broadcast in many countries, and often in local
language only. Back when "The Big Bang Theory" was a big hit, I would
have recordings in four-five different languages :-)

With Swiss telly alone it can be an issue too, but it is easy to tidy
up.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (19.4°C)

Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
On 08/06/2021 09:55, Per Jessen wrote:
> John Pilkington wrote:
>
>> On 04/06/2021 20:39, Per Jessen wrote:
>>> Also, the ability to specify the language of the audio stream(s) when
>>> recording would be nice - I get lots of recordings in languages I
>>> don't understand.
>>
>> Playback in Mythfrontend has the NEXTAUDIO key, by default + , which
>> ought to step through the available options. For DVB-T/T2 in the UK I
>> think that usually gives an
>> audio-description-for-the-visually-handicapped track, but you will
>> probably have others.
>
> Yes, that works very well, but it would be nice to say "record this
> title, but only if it has sound in one of (lang1,lang2)" - popular
> series are often broadcast in many countries, and often in local
> language only. Back when "The Big Bang Theory" was a big hit, I would
> have recordings in four-five different languages :-)
>
> With Swiss telly alone it can be an issue too, but it is easy to tidy
> up.

I would be suprised if there was sufficient meta data available for the
scheduler to be able to make this decision.

With digital tv these days, they typically broadcast multiple languages
in different streams at the same time, so a single recording would have
all the broadcast languages in it

Regards
Stuart

Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
Mike Perkins wrote:

> On 04/06/2021 21:54, John Pilkington wrote:
>> On 04/06/2021 20:39, Per Jessen wrote:
>>>
>>> Also, the ability to specify the language of the audio stream(s)
>>> when recording would be nice - I get lots of recordings in languages
>>> I don't understand.
>>
>> Playback in Mythfrontend has the NEXTAUDIO key, by default + , which
>> ought to step through the available options.  For DVB-T/T2 in the UK
>> I think that usually gives an
>> audio-description-for-the-visually-handicapped track, but you will
>> probably have others.
>>
> Perhaps there should be a way to specify the desired language in setup
> or the recording rule? Use that if it exists and if not, a suitable
> default?

Yes, that was my thinking - optionally have a set of default languages,
as well as be able to specify per recording.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (19.4°C)

Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
On 08/06/2021 10:00, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> On 08/06/2021 09:55, Per Jessen wrote:
>> John Pilkington wrote:

>>> Playback in Mythfrontend has the NEXTAUDIO key, by default + , which
>>> ought to step through the available options.  For DVB-T/T2 in the UK I
>>> think that usually gives an
>>> audio-description-for-the-visually-handicapped track, but you will
>>> probably have others.
>>
>> Yes, that works very well, but it would be nice to say "record this
>> title, but only if it has sound in one of (lang1,lang2)"  - popular
>> series are often broadcast in many countries, and often in local
>> language only.  Back when "The Big Bang Theory" was a big hit, I would
>> have recordings in four-five different languages :-)
>>
>> With Swiss telly alone it can be an issue too, but it is easy to tidy
>> up.
>>

> I would be suprised if there was sufficient meta data available for the
> scheduler to be able to make this decision.
>
> With digital tv these days, they typically broadcast multiple languages
> in different streams at the same time, so a single recording would have
> all the broadcast languages in it
>

> Regards
> Stuart

It might be possible to start a recording, check the available streams,
and abort on a language-set mismatch.

I just had a BBC FOUR recording that started at 18:58 and now plays fine
in master, but the stream analysis in my cutting script saw 0 video
streams and aborted. It worked after dropping the first 45 MB of the
file. Needs a probe offset...

John P
Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:

> On 08/06/2021 09:55, Per Jessen wrote:
>> John Pilkington wrote:

>>> Playback in Mythfrontend has the NEXTAUDIO key, by default + , which
>>> ought to step through the available options. For DVB-T/T2 in the UK
>>> I think that usually gives an
>>> audio-description-for-the-visually-handicapped track, but you will
>>> probably have others.
>>
>> Yes, that works very well, but it would be nice to say "record this
>> title, but only if it has sound in one of (lang1,lang2)" - popular
>> series are often broadcast in many countries, and often in local
>> language only. Back when "The Big Bang Theory" was a big hit, I
>> would have recordings in four-five different languages :-)
>>
>> With Swiss telly alone it can be an issue too, but it is easy to tidy
>> up.
>>

> I would be suprised if there was sufficient meta data available for
> the scheduler to be able to make this decision.
>
> With digital tv these days, they typically broadcast multiple
> languages in different streams at the same time, so a single recording
> would have all the broadcast languages in it

It depends on the licensing I believe. We certainly frequently see
something with an original English language sound track, but only
broadcast with the dubbed version in French or German, for instance.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (21.0°C)

Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
On 08/06/2021 10:57, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 08/06/2021 10:00, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:

>>> Yes, that works very well, but it would be nice to say "record this
>>> title, but only if it has sound in one of (lang1,lang2)"  - popular
>>> series are often broadcast in many countries, and often in local
>>> language only.  Back when "The Big Bang Theory" was a big hit, I would
>>> have recordings in four-five different languages :-)
>>>
>>> With Swiss telly alone it can be an issue too, but it is easy to tidy
>>> up.
>>>

>> I would be suprised if there was sufficient meta data available for the
>> scheduler to be able to make this decision.
>>
>> With digital tv these days, they typically broadcast multiple languages
>> in different streams at the same time, so a single recording would have
>> all the broadcast languages in it
>>

>> Regards
>> Stuart
>>

> It might be possible to start a recording, check the available streams, and abort on a language-set
> mismatch.
>
> I just had a BBC FOUR recording that started at 18:58 and now plays fine in master, but the stream
> analysis in my cutting script saw 0 video streams and aborted.  It worked after dropping the first
> 45 MB of the file.  Needs a probe offset...

The problem with starting any digital recording comes with two problems: pre-roll and adverts.

Pre-roll is almost guaranteed to pick up the previous program which may have different language
selections[1]. OK, you can use an offset to start the check but how accurate is your clock against
that of the broadcaster? Some are known to start programs early, others late.

Adverts and/or trailers could also have different selections and, especially adverts, can occur
randomly throughout the program. How can the software tell which is which?

[1] Unless it is a part-time channel like BBC4 in which case you could get absolutely nothing!

--

Mike Perkins

Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
On 6/8/21 5:57 AM, John Pilkington wrote:
> It might be possible to start a recording, check the available
> streams, and abort on a language-set mismatch.
>
> I just had a BBC FOUR recording that started at 18:58 and now plays
> fine in master, but the stream analysis in my cutting script saw 0
> video streams and aborted.  It worked after dropping the first 45 MB
> of the file.  Needs a probe offset...
>
> John P

I don't know how things are in Europe, but in the USA the language for
an audio track is normally garbage. They typically have two audio
tracks, one labeled English and one labeled Spanish. The Spanish track
has a low-quality copy of the English track, a descriptive audio track,
or nothing. I have never found a case where it contains Spanish audio.

Peter

Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 6/8/21 5:57 AM, John Pilkington wrote:
>> It might be possible to start a recording, check the available
>> streams, and abort on a language-set mismatch.
>>
>> I just had a BBC FOUR recording that started at 18:58 and now plays
>> fine in master, but the stream analysis in my cutting script saw 0
>> video streams and aborted.  It worked after dropping the first 45 MB
>> of the file.  Needs a probe offset...
>>
>> John P
>
> I don't know how things are in Europe, but in the USA the language for
> an audio track is normally garbage. They typically have two audio
> tracks, one labeled English and one labeled Spanish. The Spanish track
> has a low-quality copy of the English track, a descriptive audio
> track, or nothing. I have never found a case where it contains Spanish
> audio.

Dual-language programming is perfectly common, often also with a third
track of descriptive audio. Sometimes different quality of audio too -
stereo, surround etc. For dubbed material, whether you get the
original sound is a matter of licensing.

With the immensely popular "The Big Bang Theory", the problem was
particularly visible. It was broadcast concurrently in several
countries - one recording rule would lead to maybe five-six recordings.
E.g. in German, French, Italian, Polish, Russian, Turkish, I think I
had even Arabic. Oh, and English :-)

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (19.8°C)

Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
Chris Dennis via mythtv-users wrote:

> On 04/06/2021 14:47, Jeff wrote:
>>> So the question is what improvements would you like to see in MythTV
>>> in
>>
>> My main criticism is that the frontend no longer plays HD content
>> fluidly on my RaspberryPi 3, and so I now use a Kodi frontend with
>> the MythTV backend. If the frontend played HD content better, then I
>> would ditch Kodi again.
>
> I'd like to second Jeff's point about HD content on a Raspberry Pi 3.

I have also tried HD content on a Raspberry Pi 3, but had to switch back
to my old Zotac box.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (19.0°C)

Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
Hoi Per,

> Peter Bennett wrote:

>> On 6/8/21 5:57 AM, John Pilkington wrote:
>>> It might be possible to start a recording, check the available
>>> streams, and abort on a language-set mismatch.
>>>
>>> I just had a BBC FOUR recording that started at 18:58 and now plays
>>> fine in master, but the stream analysis in my cutting script saw 0
>>> video streams and aborted.  It worked after dropping the first 45 MB
>>> of the file.  Needs a probe offset...
>>>
>>> John P
>>
>> I don't know how things are in Europe, but in the USA the language for
>> an audio track is normally garbage. They typically have two audio
>> tracks, one labeled English and one labeled Spanish. The Spanish track
>> has a low-quality copy of the English track, a descriptive audio
>> track, or nothing. I have never found a case where it contains Spanish
>> audio.

> Dual-language programming is perfectly common, often also with a third
> track of descriptive audio. Sometimes different quality of audio too -
> stereo, surround etc. For dubbed material, whether you get the
> original sound is a matter of licensing.

> With the immensely popular "The Big Bang Theory", the problem was
> particularly visible. It was broadcast concurrently in several
> countries - one recording rule would lead to maybe five-six recordings.
> E.g. in German, French, Italian, Polish, Russian, Turkish, I think I
> had even Arabic. Oh, and English :-)

But the language is mainly dependant on the channel. More relevant is
whether it is in the original language with maybe subtitles or whether
it is dubbed in the channel language. Isn't it so that in Switzerland
there are separate channels for the different languages? There are in
Belgium. If I here in the Netherlands record a German, British, French
or whatever channel, I know the language of that country and most
other countries do dub the broadcasts in their own language. We are
one of the few that use subtitling (except for children shows). The
channels with for me unacceptable languages I have mostly excluded
from my channel list.

So could the channel characteristics be extended with the channel
language? And maybe with their preferred choice for dubbing or
subtitling? That way, if you include acceptable languages in the
query ... ?

Tot mails,
Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop
Het eeuwige dilemma

De lerende Mens

Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 5:40 PM Per Jessen <per@computer.org> wrote:

> Chris Dennis via mythtv-users wrote:

> >> My main criticism is that the frontend no longer plays HD content
> >> fluidly on my RaspberryPi 3, and so I now use a Kodi frontend with
> >> the MythTV backend. If the frontend played HD content better, then I
> >> would ditch Kodi again.
> >
> > I'd like to second Jeff's point about HD content on a Raspberry Pi 3.
>
> I have also tried HD content on a Raspberry Pi 3, but had to switch back
> to my old Zotac box.

Mark Kendall made some substantial changes
in the various video processing codes (available
in the development branch) that improved some
rendering cases for at least some Pi's. You may
wish to try that version to see if your issues are
addressed.
Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
Hika van den Hoven wrote:

> Hoi Per,
>
> Tuesday, June 8, 2021, 6:28:14 PM, you wrote:
>
>> Dual-language programming is perfectly common, often also with a
>> third track of descriptive audio. Sometimes different quality of
>> audio too - stereo, surround etc. For dubbed material, whether you
>> get the original sound is a matter of licensing.
>
>> With the immensely popular "The Big Bang Theory", the problem was
>> particularly visible. It was broadcast concurrently in several
>> countries - one recording rule would lead to maybe five-six
>> recordings. E.g. in German, French, Italian, Polish, Russian,
>> Turkish, I think I had even Arabic. Oh, and English :-)
>

> But the language is mainly dependant on the channel. More relevant is
> whether it is in the original language with maybe subtitles or whether
> it is dubbed in the channel language.

Usually when there is audio in more than one language, it will be the
original, plus one dubbed language.

> Isn't it so that in Switzerland there are separate channels for the
> different languages?

Yes primarily, but not exclusively.

> There are in Belgium. If I here in the Netherlands record a German,
> British, French or whatever channel, I know the language of that
> country and most other countries do dub the broadcasts in their own
> language. We are one of the few that use subtitling (except for
> children shows). The channels with for me unacceptable languages I
> have mostly excluded from my channel list.

If there was an easy option to say "record this, but only on these
channels from my list(s)", that would help quite a bit, yes.

> So could the channel characteristics be extended with the channel
> language? And maybe with their preferred choice for dubbing or
> subtitling? That way, if you include acceptable languages in the
> query ... ?

I can't quite figure out if that would work. At some point, BBC4 liked
to broadcast Scandinavian titles with the original sound track and
subtitles.

If I had a rule: record "Wallander", any channel, but only in
Swedish - with your scheme, would I get a recording from BBC4 ?

Groetjes,
Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (24.5°C)

Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
On 08/06/2021 20:18, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> Mark Kendall made some substantial changes
> in the various video processing codes (available
> in the development branch) that improved some
> rendering cases for at least some Pi's. You may
> wish to try that version to see if your issues are
> addressed.

I'd love to give the changes a try. Is there a .deb I can install?

Thanks and regards

Jeff
Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
FWIW, I've been a Myth user for many years - my current system for over 12 years, but I know I was playing with it before then but did a fresh install without keeping the old database.
At Christmas, one of our daughters bought SWMBO a Firestick (prompting a quick reconfig of the network to keep it isolated). So now we do watch a certain amount of streamed stuff.

Peter Carlsson <peter.jm.carlsson@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to see MythTV as the hub of a system, partly with
> a focus on being able to more easily integrate different sources
> for streaming services (free/paid), and partly with a focus on
> being able to more easily integrate into any frontend.

The problem there is that all the streaming services want that not to happen. it's not a case of them being ambivalent, or not wanting to co-operate - they actively want it not to happen.
This is partly from a security PoV - they want to control the playback platform and thus enforce restrictions. And it's partly to do with enforcing the branding. But it's also do do with "being the dominant player" and making it as hard as possible for new entrants. If you have a "universal hub" then it's easy for new entrants to get added, and if it's clever enough, just appear as "more available stuff".
So I can't see an open system like Myth ever getting to the state where it's your central hub for all services - and there's the risk that if it tries, one of more of the streaming providers will sue the s**t out of the project. Heck, even discussing how to watch the content from a streaming service (even with a valid subscription) can get the project shut down with DMCA abuse - and that's why discussion of topics like the use of CA cards (even where completely legal) is not allowed.

Simon

Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jun 4, 2021 at 6:26 AM Paul Harrison <mythtv@mythqml.net> wrote:

> We can see from the number of Scheduled Direct users and the Smolt data
> that MythTV is losing users at an ever increasing rate. We think one
> reason for this is it's getting harder and harder to record stuff
> because more services are becoming encrypted requiring proprietary boxes
> to view and record content and some services are moving to an on-demand
> type of service that are hard or impossible to record.
>

> So the question is what improvements would you like to see in MythTV in
> the future that would persuade you to continue to use it? Would you like
> to see better support for YouTube for example or a better video media
> library. Better music player? Support for IPTV services? What plugins do
> you use? What plugins would you like to see? Are you happy with the
> user interface or would you like to see a more modern one?
>

> Give us your thoughts on what direction you would like to see MythTV
> take now it's original purpose is slowing being killed of.
>

> Paul H.

I been using MythTV since 2005. I stopped using Mythfrontend about 10
years ago in favor of Kodi with the MythTV plugin to view recordings. Here
are my suggestion on areas to concentrate work on:
- Focus on the core backend recording, xmltv configuration, and commercial
skip logic.
- Abandon work on Mythfrontend and instead enhance features of plugins to
Kodi/Plex/Emby/others.
- Update MythWeb for recording scheduling/management.
Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
Am Fr, Jun 04, 2021 at 14:17:48 +0100 schrieb Paul Harrison:
>Give us your thoughts on what direction you would like to see MythTV
>take now it's original purpose is slowing being killed of.

First thank you all for the great work you’ve done over the years.

I’m a German mythtv user for 13 years (first analogue cable, now
DVB-S/C).
The backend is running on my main pc (acting as server), the frontend is
running on my notebook.

Reading the other comments in this thread I’m not a big mythtv user. I’m
not using it for images, music or DVD/BD, mythtv is only for TV (only
recorded events for skipping commercials, not life TV).
And I seldom record other things than shows (like Bares für Rares) or
sports (Snooker).

For movies I prefer the original audio with subtitles which isn’t
available in German TV. So I bought DVD/BD and played them with hardware
players using a beamer.

But now I’m using mostly streaming services (web browser) instead of
buying DVD/BD. I’m doubting that I could use the GUI of the streaming
services better within the frontend.

I can’t say that the backend is working without problems. I’m using
EPG/EIT provided by DVB-S/C, and there always seem to be slight changes.

With power rules this normally means that a deactivated recording is
suddenly active again. This is no problem, I can delete the recording.

For one-time recordings without power rules this can mean that I won’t
get a recording at all. Mythtv is then telling me that the selected show
is no longer available, but of course it is still there, and if you’re
fast enough, you can program a new recording.

It would be nice if you could tell the backend to shorten the time for
overlapping recordings.
Example: Snooker is like tennis a game which doesn’t end after a fixed
time. So my power rule is adding four hours after the official end time.

If we have the following schedule:
09:00 - 12:00: First match (the recording is running until 16:00)
14:00 - 16:00: Second match
then we have two recordings on the same channel for two hours.

So while mythtv is a nice thing it isn’t something really critical for
me. If you decide to drop the frontend, I would quite probably drop the
backend as well.
If you can enhance the frontend that it would work really well with all
the possible streaming services, I would certainly try it.

Many greetings,

Stephan

--
| If your life was a horse, you'd have to shoot it. |
Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 10:04:40 +0200, you wrote:

>Am Fr, Jun 04, 2021 at 14:17:48 +0100 schrieb Paul Harrison:
>>Give us your thoughts on what direction you would like to see MythTV
>>take now it's original purpose is slowing being killed of.
>
>First thank you all for the great work you?ve done over the years.
>
>I?m a German mythtv user for 13 years (first analogue cable, now
>DVB-S/C).
>The backend is running on my main pc (acting as server), the frontend is
>running on my notebook.
>
>Reading the other comments in this thread I?m not a big mythtv user. I?m
>not using it for images, music or DVD/BD, mythtv is only for TV (only
>recorded events for skipping commercials, not life TV).
>And I seldom record other things than shows (like Bares f?r Rares) or
>sports (Snooker).
>
>For movies I prefer the original audio with subtitles which isn?t
>available in German TV. So I bought DVD/BD and played them with hardware
>players using a beamer.
>
>But now I?m using mostly streaming services (web browser) instead of
>buying DVD/BD. I?m doubting that I could use the GUI of the streaming
>services better within the frontend.
>

>I can?t say that the backend is working without problems. I?m using
>EPG/EIT provided by DVB-S/C, and there always seem to be slight changes.
>
>With power rules this normally means that a deactivated recording is
>suddenly active again. This is no problem, I can delete the recording.
>
>For one-time recordings without power rules this can mean that I won?t
>get a recording at all. Mythtv is then telling me that the selected show
>is no longer available, but of course it is still there, and if you?re
>fast enough, you can program a new recording.

I think the Record Once ("Record this showing") rules only allow for a
time movement of up to 5 minutes. It seems you often get larger
changes than that, so you would be better off telling MythTV to
"Record one showing (this episode)", so it will record the episode no
matter what time it is broadcast at.

>It would be nice if you could tell the backend to shorten the time for
>overlapping recordings.
>Example: Snooker is like tennis a game which doesn?t end after a fixed
>time. So my power rule is adding four hours after the official end time.

You can manually add a override rule for a specific instance of a
recording which sets the post roll to a different amount from the rule
that created the recording.

Manage Recordings > Upcoming Recordings > select the recording > Enter
> Add override rule > Schedule Options > End recording x minutes late

Change the x minutes late value to what you want and save the override
rule. You can also do this from the Guide.

This can also be done while the recording is in progress:

Manage Recordings > Upcoming Recordings > select the recording > Enter
> Modify recording options > Schedule Options > End recording x
minutes late

It is also possible to manually stop a recording, if you happen to be
on the MythTV box and notice that it is going on recording
unnecessarily:

Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
On 06/06/2021 00:00, rkulagow@gmail.com wrote:
> [I work for Schedules Direct]
>
>>> Metadata is dreadful in Oz (WA), it has all been bastardised and 1/2 of it chopped off
>>> Mythtv for us still does what it has always done and does it well.
>> My bitch about metadata may be related. I too am in WA. Who is screwing up the data? Methought the meta data was global, but I’m certainly struggling
> Schedules Direct has data for Australia, and personally I think our metadata is pretty good.
I didn't mean SD! OTA is appaling...

I used to be with SD when living in the UK, but Oz did not exist, I
still can't see it as an option when I look at
https://www.schedulesdirect.org/regions

--
'ooroo

Stinga...(:)-)
Email: stinga+mythtv@wolf-rock.com o
You need only two tools. o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it /@ `\ /) ~
doesn't move and it should use > (O) X< ~ Fish!!
the hammer. If it moves and `\___/' \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape. \\\
Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]

> I'd like to see casting support come back, Airplay was great when it
> worked, and Chromecast would be awesome too.

Cheers,

Anthony
Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
Am Do, Jun 10, 2021 at 21:31:43 +1200 schrieb Stephen Worthington:
>I think the Record Once ("Record this showing") rules only allow for a
>time movement of up to 5 minutes. It seems you often get larger
>changes than that, so you would be better off telling MythTV to
>"Record one showing (this episode)", so it will record the episode no
>matter what time it is broadcast at.

Thanks, I will try it the next time.

>You can manually add a override rule for a specific instance of a
>recording which sets the post roll to a different amount from the rule
>that created the recording.

Yes, I know I can change it later again or stop the recording, but as far
as I know you need the frontend for this. Mythweb can’t do it.

So I think it would be much better to have a global option for this
feature. I would consider it a waste of disk space.

Shade and sweet water!

Stephan

--
| If your life was a horse, you'd have to shoot it. |
Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
On 6/4/2021 8:17 AM, Paul Harrison wrote:
> We can see from the number of Scheduled Direct users and the Smolt
> data that MythTV is losing users at an ever increasing rate.  We think
> one reason for this is it's getting harder and harder to record stuff
> because more services are becoming encrypted requiring proprietary
> boxes to view and record content and some services are moving to an
> on-demand type of service that are hard or impossible to record.
>

> So the question is what improvements would you like to see in MythTV
> in the future that would persuade you to continue to use it? Would you
> like to see better support for YouTube for example or a better video
> media library. Better music player? Support for IPTV services? What
> plugins do you use?  What plugins would you like to see? Are you happy
> with the user interface or would you like to see a more modern one?
>

> Give us your thoughts on what direction you would like to see MythTV
> take now it's original purpose is slowing being killed of.
>

> Paul H.

I used MythTV for a good many years but I haven't been using it for a
little over a year.  That wasn't really my choice -- my house was
burglarized and they stole my MythServer with multiple terabytes of
recordings, as well as some other computers.  Not long after, I hurt my
back, wound up in a wheelchair and was forced to move into assisted
living.  I get free cable here but it's all encrypted.

Since I don't even have the ability to use a cable company DVR, I have
switched to YouTube TV with unlimited DVR.  I have combined that with a
Roku TV (the thieves took my TV as well) and now I stream everything.

But, I miss my MythTV.

Frankly, I still think that MythTV could have a future in its original
purpose. I still know a number of people who get their TV over-the-air
who would love a DVR setup but when I talk to them about MythTV, the
complexity is a non-starter.  They want a box they could plug in.  And
while they all use computers and could probably be convinced to dedicate
a computer as their box, they still aren't looking for a hobby -- they
are looking for a commodity -- and MythTV is still in the hobby stage.

When I had my setup, I was constantly tinkering with it.  how do I fix
network overrun errors?  how do I fix disk overrun errors? My custom
rule isn't working quite right, i've got to tweak the SQL.  I upgraded
my version of LInux and now things have stopped working and I need to
spend the next three days without TV while I spend hours on the Internet
trying to figure out how to fix it.  I want to hook up a cable box, how
do I control it?  While I realize that my situation was different from
someone looking for a plug-in box because I loved the flexibility and I
wanted everything to be exactly how I wanted it, so I modified and
tweaked and added custom scripts and such.  I also had multiple tuners,
was frequently recording four and five shows at a time with multiple
hard drives, two backends, etc.  Most commodity-seeking users aren't
going to do any of that, but the fact is, for the uninitiated, MythTV is
still a daunting proposition and now that MythBuntu is gone, getting
started has become even harder.  If you'd like to attract new users you
need to find ways of making it easier to setup, modify, and maintain
with a minimum of Linux knowledge (because most commodity users will
have zero Linux knowledge).  Heck, even if I got out of assisted living
and could go back to owning my own place with my own antennas, etc., I'd
be reluctant to go through all the trouble of trying to set up another
MythTV installation, and like I said, I really miss it.

Then, of course, there is the question of what ATSC 3.0 is going to do
to MythTV.

While things like MythMusic were a nice idea, there are many other
services which handle such things better and I don't know if there's
much point spending time there.  MythWeb is a great thing and I can see
reason to build on it.

The developers have done something wonderful in creating and building
upon MythTV.  But like most freeware projects, they created the things
which they wanted to create and spent less time on what others might
want.  In particular, they have never targeted a commodity user and felt
it was fine for users to have to know Linux commands and file systems,
etc.  If they want to attract only hobbyists, that's fine, but I think,
rather than let MythTV die, perhaps they should spend time trying to
attract a new audience.

-- Les N.

- Les Noland lnoland@xnet.com
Re: The future of MythTV [ In reply to ]
Am Freitag, 4. Juni 2021, 15:17:48 CEST schrieb Paul Harrison:

> Give us your thoughts on what direction you would like to see MythTV
> take now it's original purpose is slowing being killed of.

With a bit delay I remembered a little problem. I have one BE with 3 FEs. When
rescanning for new additions I have to exit and reenter the video library to
get the new episodes on the other FEs. Would be nice if there would be a
signal or marker for updated collection to let the other ones updated their
cache.

--
MfG usw.

Werner Mahr