Mailing List Archive

Permissions/access to tuners on secondary backend
Hello,
I managed to fix a lot of my remaining issues with 31-fixes by running the
setup on the secondary backend. One problem remains, I can't access Live-TV
from the tuners on the secondary backend.

May 6 08:33:20 [servername] mythbackend: mythbackend[177414]: E
> ProcessRequest encoderlink.cpp:562 (IsReallyRecording) Should be local only
> query: IsReallyRecording

What am I missing? The channel change just times out.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve Greene
(301) 842-8923
historicity.co
An independent archival professional specializing in still photography,
moving images and recorded sound.
Re: Permissions/access to tuners on secondary backend [ In reply to ]
I just discovered that no matter what I set the secondary backend master
host address to, it reverts to 127.0.0.1. I checked the config.xml files
residing in /etc/mythtv, [HOME%]/mythtv and /home/mythtv/.mythtv. They all
point to my master backend IP address. What would account for the address
reverting on the secondary backend?

I did verify that I can connect to the database remotely from the mysql
command prompt.

Re: Permissions/access to tuners on secondary backend [ In reply to ]
On 13/05/2021 00:47, Steve Greene wrote:
> I just discovered that no matter what I set the secondary backend master
> host address to, it reverts to 127.0.0.1. I checked the config.xml files
> residing in /etc/mythtv, [HOME%]/mythtv and /home/mythtv/.mythtv. They
> all point to my master backend IP address. What would account for the
> address reverting on the secondary backend?

This is unlikely, but..

I had a similar mysterious inability to connect, running master, in
February. Somehow the UPnP section of ~/.mythtv/config.xml had acquired
nested Mythfrontend, DefaultBackend, USN entries. Resetting the host
address worked again with those lines commented out.

John P

Re: Permissions/access to tuners on secondary backend [ In reply to ]
On 5/12/21 7:47 PM, Steve Greene wrote:
> I just discovered that no matter what I set the secondary backend
> master host address to, it reverts to 127.0.0.1. I checked the
> config.xml files residing in /etc/mythtv, [HOME%]/mythtv and
> /home/mythtv/.mythtv. They all point to my master backend IP address.
> What would account for the address reverting on the secondary backend?
>
> I did verify that I can connect to the database remotely from the
> mysql command prompt.

The ip address in /home/mythtv/.mythtv is for the database, which need
not be the same as any backend ip address. You need to run mthtv-setup
on the primary backend and set its ip address in general-> host address
backend setup. Also make sure to check "This host is the master backend".

Then run mythtv-setup on the secondary backend and set its ip address in
general-> host address backend setup. "This host is the master backend"
will not be checked on this one.

Re: Permissions/access to tuners on secondary backend [ In reply to ]
I figured that out last night! Thanks. The prompt text could be a little
clearer, but I guess a secondary backend is not the predominant use case.

Re: Permissions/access to tuners on secondary backend [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 3:14 PM Steve Greene <sgreene820@gmail.com> wrote:

> I figured that out last night! Thanks. The prompt text could be a little clearer, but I guess a secondary backend is not the predominant use case.

If the documentation is unclear, updating the
wiki, and/or providing a pull request to improve
the prompt text, is the way to pay it forward.