Mailing List Archive

mythtv and zoneminder cameras
Like a number of other users here I run both mythtv and zoneminder, but in my case I don't run the
zoneminder plugin.

I have run mythtv for a /very/ long time but zoneminder began only last year, when we discovered
that we had a fairly active local hedgehog population. That's the only reason we run it.

I bought a couple of cheap IP cctv cameras for evaluation and was both impressed[1] and
disgusted[2]. Impressed by the quality of the camera outputs and disgusted by the admin method: an
/ActiveX/ control which only works using IE or an old version of Firefox! Still, I got there.

Now the camera traffic is high so I knocked up a separate ad-hoc subnet using some old disks and a
spare (also old) motherboard and it did what we wanted. (Since upgraded.) Using zm is fine if we
want to analyse what happens each night but sometimes we just want to see what is happening in
real-time.

What I want to do is to access the cctv cameras as a stream within mythtv. This is doable, I have
used VLC from a frontend to see them so I know the streams are available. What I want is to set up a
new source in mythtv and just switch to it as Live TV. The cameras are streaming 24/7 so there is no
other overhead.

The only info I can find online about how to configure streams assumes that (i) either you are
accessing an Internet stream, which can provide channel info, or (ii) that you are using a local box
to convert (eg) HDMI to an ethernet stream. Neither of these is really helpful.

What I need is a pointer to some instructions to configure a source to accept IP streams in mythtv,
when all I have is the streams. How do I do that? The streams would be in the format:

rtsp://user:password@host.example.com:554/ch01/0

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

[1] I bought mine from CPC UK (http://cpc.farnell.com) for about £40 each plus VAT and carriage. The
first was a Trendnet TV-IP324PI (but see [2]) and the other was an X-Vision X4C2000B-W. Both are POE
and both are starlight capable, although the IR lighting is excellent.

[2] Do *not* buy Trendnet cctv camaeras. They are the cheapest I could find but they require
*registration* with some site in China before they can be used. That also requires an ActiveX
control to use and therefore opens your internal networks to potential abuse. It is a shame as the
hardware is very good. (Once registration is done, I can then access streams as above, though. The
money wasn't entirely wasted.)

--

Mike Perkins

Re: mythtv and zoneminder cameras [ In reply to ]
>>> What I need is a pointer to some instructions to configure a source to accept IP streams in mythtv,
>>> when all I have is the streams. How do I do that? The streams would be in the format:

Mike,

I've tried to do this also, I'm still on .29 and found information on setting up a network tuner with a m3u file, but I was not able to get it to work. The contents of that m3u is

doug@desktop:~/Desktop$ cat playlist.m3u

#EXTM3U

#EXTINF:0,501 - Back Yard

rtsp://camera1.drdos.info/live.sdp

#EXTINF:0,502 - Driveway

rtsp://camera3.drdos.info/live.sdp

I have 2 cameras that I can use VLC to stream, so I tried to add channels 501 and 502 to Myth.

I can select those a channels in Myth, but it does not provide a video stream.

I'd be interested in this as well, but do not know for certain if my version of Myth is compatible.

Doug
Re: mythtv and zoneminder cameras [ In reply to ]
On 05/05/2021 12:17, Doug Lytle wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I've tried to do this also, I'm still on .29 and found information on setting up a network tuner with a m3u file, but I was not able to get it to work. The contents of that m3u is
>
> doug@desktop:~/Desktop$ cat playlist.m3u
>
> #EXTM3U
>
> #EXTINF:0,501 - Back Yard
>
> rtsp://camera1.drdos.info/live.sdp
>
> #EXTINF:0,502 - Driveway
>
> rtsp://camera3.drdos.info/live.sdp
>
> I have 2 cameras that I can use VLC to stream, so I tried to add channels 501 and 502 to Myth.
>
> I can select those a channels in Myth, but it does not provide a video stream.
>
> I'd be interested in this as well, but do not know for certain if my version of Myth is compatible.

Ah, sorry. Forgot to include my version:

mythtv@jade:~$ mythbackend --version
MythTV Version : v30.0
MythTV Branch :
Network Protocol : 91
Library API : 30.20181231-1
QT Version : 5.11.3
(snip)
mythtv@jade:~$

I'm using Debian Buster and the deb-multimedia repo.

I really do have an upgrade on the 'to do' list but time, etc. and it isn't (yet) broke.

--

Mike Perkins

Re: mythtv and zoneminder cameras [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 5 May 2021 12:37:30 +0100, you wrote:

>> Mike,
>>
>> I've tried to do this also, I'm still on .29 and found information on setting up a network tuner with a m3u file, but I was not able to get it to work. The contents of that m3u is
>>
>> doug@desktop:~/Desktop$ cat playlist.m3u
>>
>> #EXTM3U
>>
>> #EXTINF:0,501 - Back Yard
>>
>> rtsp://camera1.drdos.info/live.sdp
>>
>> #EXTINF:0,502 - Driveway
>>
>> rtsp://camera3.drdos.info/live.sdp
>>
>> I have 2 cameras that I can use VLC to stream, so I tried to add channels 501 and 502 to Myth.
>>
>> I can select those a channels in Myth, but it does not provide a video stream.
>>
>> I'd be interested in this as well, but do not know for certain if my version of Myth is compatible.
>>
>Ah, sorry. Forgot to include my version:
>
>mythtv@jade:~$ mythbackend --version
>Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
>MythTV Version : v30.0
>MythTV Branch :
>Network Protocol : 91
>Library API : 30.20181231-1
>QT Version : 5.11.3
>(snip)
>mythtv@jade:~$
>
>I'm using Debian Buster and the deb-multimedia repo.
>
>I really do have an upgrade on the 'to do' list but time, etc. and it isn't (yet) broke.

I have been using IPTV to record from rtsp URLs (SAT>IP in my case)
for several versions of MythTV now. Getting the exact format of the
playlist.m3u file correct is important if you want to set things up
that way, but as far as I can tell your playlist.m3u format is
correct. But where I had problems was actually getting the tuner to
load the playlist.m3u file. I found the easiest way was to have the
playlist.m3u file on my Apache2 web server (that also runs mythweb and
other things). I just put the playlist.m3u file in the /var/www/html
directory and accessed it from there:

http://satip.jsw.gen.nz/playlist.m3u

or

http://10.0.2.4/playlist.m3u

if you do not run a local nameserver. Other methods of accessing the
playlist.m3u file that I tried simply did not work - no channels were
created.

But if you have only a few channels to set up, then you can just do
that manually directly in the database. That is what I do when a new
channel or channel change happens with my SAT>IP channels. I use
DBeaver as a good freeware SQL editor:

https://dbeaver.io/

and just create a channel by copying an existing channel in the
channel and iptv_channel tables and changing the values to what the
new channel needs.

Here is one of my SAT>IP tuners:

MariaDB [mythconverg]> select * from capturecard where sourceid=6
limit 1\G
cardid: 90
parentid: 0
videodevice: http://satip.jsw.gen.nz/playlist.m3u
audiodevice: NULL
vbidevice: NULL
cardtype: FREEBOX
defaultinput: Television
audioratelimit: NULL
hostname: mypvr
dvb_swfilter: 0
dvb_sat_type: 0
dvb_wait_for_seqstart: 1
skipbtaudio: 0
dvb_on_demand: 1
dvb_diseqc_type: NULL
firewire_speed: 0
firewire_model: NULL
firewire_connection: 0
signal_timeout: 1000
channel_timeout: 30000
dvb_tuning_delay: 0
contrast: 0
brightness: 0
colour: 0
hue: 0
diseqcid: NULL
dvb_eitscan: 0
inputname: MPEG2TS
sourceid: 6
externalcommand: NULL
changer_device: NULL
changer_model: NULL
tunechan: NULL
startchan: 4210
displayname: SAT>IP 1.1 (90)
dishnet_eit: 0
recpriority: 2
quicktune: 0
schedorder: 11
livetvorder: 11
reclimit: 2
schedgroup: 0
1 row in set (0.001 sec)

and the channel and iptv_channel rows for a SAT>IP channel:

MariaDB [mythconverg]> select * from channel where chanid=10072\G
chanid: 10072
channum: 4072
freqid: NULL
sourceid: 6
callsign: NATGE
name: Nat Geographic
icon: national_geographic.jpg
finetune: NULL
videofilters:
xmltvid: nat-geographic.sky.co.nz
recpriority: 0
contrast: 32768
brightness: 32768
colour: 32768
hue: 32768
tvformat: Default
visible: 1
outputfilters:
useonairguide: 0
mplexid: NULL
serviceid: 1012
service_type: 0
tmoffset: 0
atsc_major_chan: 0
atsc_minor_chan: 0
last_record: 2021-05-03 08:29:01
default_authority:
commmethod: -1
iptvid: NULL
deleted: NULL
1 row in set (0.001 sec)

MariaDB [mythconverg]> select * from iptv_channel where chanid=10072\G
iptvid: 116
chanid: 10072
url:
rtsp://satip.jsw.gen.nz:554/?src=1&freq=12581&msys=dvbs2&plts=off&fec=23&pol=h&ro=0.35&sr=22500&mtype=8psk&pids=0,307,1007,1107,1907
type: data
bitrate: 0
1 row in set (0.001 sec)

MythTV up to v31 can, however, only handle direct URLs - any
redirection and it does not work. So maybe that is the problem - if
you are using cameras where they send via a cloud site, there is
likely to be redirection. VLC can handle that, but MythTV can not.
Trying to capture from a camera using curl commands should show if
there is redirection happening, or you can run Wireshark and capture
the network traffic when you use VLC to play from a camera and see any
redirection there.
Re: mythtv and zoneminder cameras [ In reply to ]
On 5/5/21 7:37 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:

>> Mike,
>>
>> I've tried to do this also, I'm still on .29 and found information on
>> setting up a network tuner with a m3u file, but I was not able to get
>> it to work.  The contents of that m3u is
>>
>> doug@desktop:~/Desktop$ cat playlist.m3u
>>   #EXTM3U
>>
>> #EXTINF:0,501 - Back Yard
>>
>> rtsp://camera1.drdos.info/live.sdp
>>
>> #EXTINF:0,502 - Driveway
>>
>> rtsp://camera3.drdos.info/live.sdp
>>
>> I have 2 cameras that I can use VLC to stream, so I tried to add
>> channels 501 and 502 to Myth.
>>
>> I can select those a channels in Myth, but it does not provide a
>> video stream.
>>
>> I'd be interested in this as well, but do not know for certain if my
>> version of Myth is compatible.
>>
> Ah, sorry. Forgot to include my version:
>
> mythtv@jade:~$ mythbackend --version
> Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
> MythTV Version : v30.0
> MythTV Branch :
> Network Protocol : 91
> Library API : 30.20181231-1
> QT Version : 5.11.3
> (snip)
> mythtv@jade:~$
>
> I'm using Debian Buster and the deb-multimedia repo.
>
> I really do have an upgrade on the 'to do' list but time, etc. and it
> isn't (yet) broke.

I am working on a setup that records from a camera into MythTV using a
black box external recorder and ffmpeg. It is working well, I can share
the scripts with you.  There is the problem that only one thing can
access /dev/video0 at a time, so if vlc is running and showing the
camera, the script cannot access it. I don't know how zoneminder works,
but if zoneminder has the camera then likely your mythtv script would
not be able to get it. Do you have a solution for that?

Peter

Re: mythtv and zoneminder cameras [ In reply to ]
On 05/05/2021 14:23, Peter Bennett wrote:

>>> Mike,
>>>
>>> I've tried to do this also, I'm still on .29 and found information
>>> on setting up a network tuner with a m3u file, but I was not able to
>>> get it to work.  The contents of that m3u is
>>>
>>> doug@desktop:~/Desktop$ cat playlist.m3u
>>>   #EXTM3U
>>>
>>> #EXTINF:0,501 - Back Yard
>>>
>>> rtsp://camera1.drdos.info/live.sdp
>>>
>>> #EXTINF:0,502 - Driveway
>>>
>>> rtsp://camera3.drdos.info/live.sdp
>>>
>>> I have 2 cameras that I can use VLC to stream, so I tried to add
>>> channels 501 and 502 to Myth.
>>>
>>> I can select those a channels in Myth, but it does not provide a
>>> video stream.
>>>
>>> I'd be interested in this as well, but do not know for certain if my
>>> version of Myth is compatible.
>>>
>> Ah, sorry. Forgot to include my version:
>>
>> mythtv@jade:~$ mythbackend --version
>> Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
>> MythTV Version : v30.0
>> MythTV Branch :
>> Network Protocol : 91
>> Library API : 30.20181231-1
>> QT Version : 5.11.3
>> (snip)
>> mythtv@jade:~$
>>
>> I'm using Debian Buster and the deb-multimedia repo.
>>
>> I really do have an upgrade on the 'to do' list but time, etc. and it
>> isn't (yet) broke.
>>

> I am working on a setup that records from a camera into MythTV using a
> black box external recorder and ffmpeg. It is working well, I can
> share the scripts with you.  There is the problem that only one thing
> can access /dev/video0 at a time, so if vlc is running and showing the
> camera, the script cannot access it. I don't know how zoneminder
> works, but if zoneminder has the camera then likely your mythtv script
> would not be able to get it. Do you have a solution for that?
>
> Peter

The OP is talking about IP cameras that broadcast the video stream over
rtsp or similar protocols. All the IP cameras I've used have had no
problems streaming to several clients at the same time.

ZM can also use cameras that use v4l2 interface that use for example
/dev/video0 and you are probably right they can't be shared in a same
way although ZM does make the live stream available to any clients and
that is what mythzmserver uses to get the live video for those streams
although it is usually restricted to 10 or so frames per second rather
that 25/30 the cameras typically capture at.

Paul H.

Re: mythtv and zoneminder cameras [ In reply to ]
On 05/05/2021 14:50, Paul Harrison wrote:
> On 05/05/2021 14:23, Peter Bennett wrote:

>>> Ah, sorry. Forgot to include my version:
>>>
>>> mythtv@jade:~$ mythbackend --version
>>> Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
>>> MythTV Version : v30.0
>>> MythTV Branch :
>>> Network Protocol : 91
>>> Library API : 30.20181231-1
>>> QT Version : 5.11.3
>>> (snip)
>>> mythtv@jade:~$
>>>
>>> I'm using Debian Buster and the deb-multimedia repo.
>>>
>>> I really do have an upgrade on the 'to do' list but time, etc. and it isn't (yet) broke.
>>>

>> I am working on a setup that records from a camera into MythTV using a black box external recorder
>> and ffmpeg. It is working well, I can share the scripts with you.  There is the problem that only
>> one thing can access /dev/video0 at a time, so if vlc is running and showing the camera, the
>> script cannot access it. I don't know how zoneminder works, but if zoneminder has the camera then
>> likely your mythtv script would not be able to get it. Do you have a solution for that?
>>
>> Peter
>>

> The OP is talking about IP cameras that broadcast the video stream over rtsp or similar protocols.
> All the IP cameras I've used have had no problems streaming to several clients at the same time.
>

> ZM can also use cameras that use v4l2 interface that use for example /dev/video0 and you are
> probably right they can't be shared in a same way although ZM does make the live stream available to
> any clients and that is what mythzmserver uses to get the live video for those streams although it
> is usually restricted to 10 or so frames per second rather that 25/30 the cameras typically capture at.

Absolutely. These days IP cameras are cheap enough that it saves going through the hassle of using a
tuner card. Just plug it into a suitable switch and it is on stream. A switch that provides POE
costs a little more but I already used one to feed a WiFi access point and a baby monitor so just
reconfigured that (TP-Link TL-SG108PE).

--

Mike Perkins

Re: mythtv and zoneminder cameras [ In reply to ]

> [...]
> iptvid: 116
> chanid: 10072
> url:
> rtsp://satip.jsw.gen.nz:554/?src=1&freq=12581&msys=dvbs2&plts=off&fec=23&pol=h&ro=0.35&sr=22500&mtype=8psk&pids=0,307,1007,1107,1907
> type: data
> bitrate: 0
> 1 row in set (0.001 sec)
>
> MythTV up to v31 can, however, only handle direct URLs - any
> redirection and it does not work. So maybe that is the problem - if
> you are using cameras where they send via a cloud site, there is
> likely to be redirection. VLC can handle that, but MythTV can not.
> Trying to capture from a camera using curl commands should show if
> there is redirection happening, or you can run Wireshark and capture
> the network traffic when you use VLC to play from a camera and see any

I very deliberately selected non-cloud cameras for this project. I already had a baby monitor that
was cloud-based and liked that not at all. Since the zm setup is for internal use only, I have set
up the cameras and the server on a separate isolated subnet we can get into but nothing inside can
get out. If I want to upgrade the server I have to power it off, unplug it and plug it into another
subnet in order to do it.

Thank you very much for the above information. The zm server of course has an Apache component so I
can serve the .m3u file from there easily enough.

--

Mike Perkins

Re: mythtv and zoneminder cameras [ In reply to ]
On 05/05/2021 15:55, Mike Perkins wrote:

> I very deliberately selected non-cloud cameras for this project. I
> already had a baby monitor that was cloud-based and liked that not at
> all. Since the zm setup is for internal use only, I have set up the
> cameras and the server on a separate isolated subnet we can get into
> but nothing inside can get out. If I want to upgrade the server I have
> to power it off, unplug it and plug it into another subnet in order to
> do it.
>
> Thank you very much for the above information. The zm server of course
> has an Apache component so I can serve the .m3u file from there easily
> enough.

I've not tried it but you could probably use something like these
instructions to set up your IP camera feeds as an additions source. You
would have to create a suitable m3u file with channels pointing to your
IP camera's. Not sure if you would need to create a m3u8 file for each
channel or just point the m3u file directly to the rtsp feed. It would
be great if you do figure this out to update the wiki with better
instruction for this use case :)

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:Setting_up_HTTP_Live_Streaming_Recorder

Paul H.

Re: mythtv and zoneminder cameras [ In reply to ]
> The zm server of course has an Apache component so I can serve the .m3u
file from there easily enough.

Just in case it's useful to anybody for future reference, you can use the
file:// scheme to access the m3u file. For example, I am using:

file:///var/lib/mythtv/UKTV-1.m3u

Cheers, Ian