saying: "Warning: OpenGL not available"

I basically could not play anything. I have been on the 4/19/2021
version 31 on frontend and backend for several days with no issues. I
could use VLC and copy the ASX link from mythweb for a recording and it
played fine.

So I finally rebooted and it fixed itself. Not sure what happened, but
watch out.

Jim A

Re: Warning OpenGL not available? [ In reply to ]
On 25/04/2021 12:07, Jim Abernathy wrote:

> I occasionally watch Mythtv with mythfrontend on my dual monitor PC on
> one screen while doing something else.  This morning I tried launching
> mythfrontend and as it started the upper right had a temporary message
> saying: "Warning: OpenGL not available"
>
> I basically could not play anything. I have been on the 4/19/2021
> version 31 on frontend and backend for several days with no issues. I
> could use VLC and copy the ASX link from mythweb for a recording and
> it played fine.
>
> So I finally rebooted and it fixed itself. Not sure what happened, but
> watch out.
>
> Jim A

MythTV now effectively requires working OpenGL. It will fall back to the
Qt painter if it's not available but as you found that completely
disables video playback and you will probably find many rendering
problems in the GUI.

Don't know if it's related but for the first time ever I saw something
similar using a QML based program. I rebooted and haven't seen it since
though \0/. I wonder if a Qt update or NVidia driver update or something
has broken something? Are you using the NVidia propitiatory driver?

Paul H.

Re: Warning OpenGL not available? [ In reply to ]
On 4/25/21 7:21 AM, Paul Harrison wrote:
> On 25/04/2021 12:07, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>
>> I occasionally watch Mythtv with mythfrontend on my dual monitor PC
>> on one screen while doing something else.  This morning I tried
>> launching mythfrontend and as it started the upper right had a
>> temporary message saying: "Warning: OpenGL not available"
>>
>> I basically could not play anything. I have been on the 4/19/2021
>> version 31 on frontend and backend for several days with no issues. I
>> could use VLC and copy the ASX link from mythweb for a recording and
>> it played fine.
>>
>> So I finally rebooted and it fixed itself. Not sure what happened,
>> but watch out.
>>
>> Jim A
>>

> MythTV now effectively requires working OpenGL. It will fall back to
> the Qt painter if it's not available but as you found that completely
> disables video playback and you will probably find many rendering
> problems in the GUI.
>
> Don't know if it's related but for the first time ever I saw something
> similar using a QML based program. I rebooted and haven't seen it
> since though \0/. I wonder if a Qt update or NVidia driver update or
> something has broken something? Are you using the NVidia propitiatory
> driver?
>

> Paul H.

It's a Nvidia GT 710 with 450.119.03 and I got an update a week or so
ago.  My PC with the GT 1030 is on 460.

Anyway, it's working after the reboot

Jim A

Re: Warning OpenGL not available? [ In reply to ]
On 25/04/2021 12:21, Paul Harrison wrote:
> On 25/04/2021 12:07, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>
>> I occasionally watch Mythtv with mythfrontend on my dual monitor PC on one screen while doing
>> something else.  This morning I tried launching mythfrontend and as it started the upper right had
>> a temporary message saying: "Warning: OpenGL not available"
>>
>> I basically could not play anything. I have been on the 4/19/2021 version 31 on frontend and
>> backend for several days with no issues. I could use VLC and copy the ASX link from mythweb for a
>> recording and it played fine.
>>
>> So I finally rebooted and it fixed itself. Not sure what happened, but watch out.
>>
>> Jim A
>>

> MythTV now effectively requires working OpenGL. It will fall back to the Qt painter if it's not
> available but as you found that completely disables video playback and you will probably find many
> rendering problems in the GUI.
>
> Don't know if it's related but for the first time ever I saw something similar using a QML based
> program. I rebooted and haven't seen it since though \0/. I wonder if a Qt update or NVidia driver
> update or something has broken something? Are you using the NVidia propitiatory driver?
>

> Paul H.

It may not be a mythtv thing. I'm still on v30 (lack of time) and recently had a similar message
when trying to view something I knew was fine. Sometimes just restarting the front end was enough to
clear it. It may be a kernel or library thing.

--

Mike Perkins

Re: Warning OpenGL not available? [ In reply to ]
On 25/04/2021 12:28, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 25/04/2021 12:21, Paul Harrison wrote:
>> On 25/04/2021 12:07, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>>
>>> I occasionally watch Mythtv with mythfrontend on my dual monitor PC
>>> on one screen while doing something else.  This morning I tried
>>> launching mythfrontend and as it started the upper right had a
>>> temporary message saying: "Warning: OpenGL not available"
>>>
>>> I basically could not play anything. I have been on the 4/19/2021
>>> version 31 on frontend and backend for several days with no issues. I
>>> could use VLC and copy the ASX link from mythweb for a recording and
>>> it played fine.
>>>
>>> So I finally rebooted and it fixed itself. Not sure what happened,
>>> but watch out.
>>>
>>> Jim A
>>>

>> MythTV now effectively requires working OpenGL. It will fall back to
>> the Qt painter if it's not available but as you found that completely
>> disables video playback and you will probably find many rendering
>> problems in the GUI.
>>
>> Don't know if it's related but for the first time ever I saw something
>> similar using a QML based program. I rebooted and haven't seen it
>> since though \0/. I wonder if a Qt update or NVidia driver update or
>> something has broken something? Are you using the NVidia propitiatory
>> driver?
>>

>> Paul H.
>>
> It may not be a mythtv thing. I'm still on v30 (lack of time) and
> recently had a similar message when trying to view something I knew was
> fine. Sometimes just restarting the front end was enough to clear it. It
> may be a kernel or library thing.

I'm running master on an old core2duo box. It's in a window with basic
intel graphics and a single monitor. I normally start the frontend from
a konsole tab with 'MYTHTV_NO_EGL=1 mythfrontend'

If I start another instance using just 'mythfrontend' I see a pop-up
warning 'No GPU Acceleration available', and on trying playback get 'E
Overlay: Failed to create window osd_status' and a segfault.

I saw this quite recently when trying to find out why a frontend-launch
panel widget had appeared. I managed to delete it and the box seems to
be running normally.

Something in this might connect?

John P
Re: Warning OpenGL not available? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 8:32 AM John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 25/04/2021 12:28, Mike Perkins wrote:

> >> MythTV now effectively requires working OpenGL. It will fall back to
> >> the Qt painter if it's not available but as you found that completely
> >> disables video playback and you will probably find many rendering
> >> problems in the GUI.
> >>
> >> Don't know if it's related but for the first time ever I saw something
> >> similar using a QML based program. I rebooted and haven't seen it
> >> since though \0/. I wonder if a Qt update or NVidia driver update or
> >> something has broken something? Are you using the NVidia propitiatory
> >> driver?
> >>

> >> Paul H.
> >>
> > It may not be a mythtv thing. I'm still on v30 (lack of time) and
> > recently had a similar message when trying to view something I knew was
> > fine. Sometimes just restarting the front end was enough to clear it. It
> > may be a kernel or library thing.
> >
> I'm running master on an old core2duo box. It's in a window with basic
> intel graphics and a single monitor. I normally start the frontend from
> a konsole tab with 'MYTHTV_NO_EGL=1 mythfrontend'
>
> If I start another instance using just 'mythfrontend' I see a pop-up
> warning 'No GPU Acceleration available', and on trying playback get 'E
> Overlay: Failed to create window osd_status' and a segfault.
>
> I saw this quite recently when trying to find out why a frontend-launch
> panel widget had appeared. I managed to delete it and the box seems to
> be running normally.
>
> Something in this might connect?
>
> John P

On my PC with the GT1030 card, I got an update notice from Mint update
manager that the nvidia driver 460 needed an update. So I updated and it
didn't recommend a reboot. So I didn't reboot and mythfrontend got the No
OpenGL warning I saw on my other system. So this seems to be this issue.
I'll reboot and bet this issue is solved here. I can't believe they
update a GFX drive and don't set the reboot needed flag.

Jim A
Re: Warning OpenGL not available? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 11:08 AM Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:

> So I finally rebooted and it fixed itself. Not sure what happened, but
> watch out.

Running glxinfo (or glxgears, or glmark2?)
might have provided a clue at the time.
Re: Warning OpenGL not available? [ In reply to ]
On 25/04/2021 12:07, Jim Abernathy wrote:
> I occasionally watch Mythtv with mythfrontend on my dual monitor PC on
> one screen while doing something else.  This morning I tried launching
> mythfrontend and as it started the upper right had a temporary message
> saying: "Warning: OpenGL not available"
>
> I basically could not play anything. I have been on the 4/19/2021
> version 31 on frontend and backend for several days with no issues. I
> could use VLC and copy the ASX link from mythweb for a recording and it
> played fine.
>
> So I finally rebooted and it fixed itself. Not sure what happened, but
> watch out.

This normally happens when the video drivers have been updated.

Regards
Stuart