Mailing List Archive

USB-UIRT failing with kernel 5.8
hi,
I've already written to the lirc mailing list without success, so I'm
hoping someone here will be able to help. I have a USB-UIRT IR
receiver/blaster. It worked fine under LInux Mint 20 / kernel 5.4 to
support channel changing in myth. I just built a new computer and it
requires Linux Mint EDGE to support my AMD integrated graphics. This
version has me running kernel 5.8, and I think that is where the problem
comes in.

dmesg says the following about my device:

[185823.887376] usb 3-2: new full-speed USB device number 4 using xhci_hcd
[185824.058241] usb 3-2: New USB device found, idVendor=0403,
idProduct=f850, bcdDevice= 6.00
[185824.058245] usb 3-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2,
SerialNumber=0
[185824.058246] usb 3-2: Product: USB-UIRT
[185824.058248] usb 3-2: Manufacturer: FTDI
[185824.063338] ftdi_sio 3-2:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
[185824.063380] usb 3-2: Detected FT232RL
[185824.071436] usb 3-2: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to
ttyUSB0

I don't recall the "FTDI" being included before, so for starters, it would
be great if someone could check me on this.

The lirc docs say that (exactly one) entry should be created in
/sys/class/rc, and I used to have such an entry in my old system. However,
my new system shows nothing. This seems like a bad sign, as if there is no
remote control device visible to the kernel.

I have tried the following without success:

- running "mode2" both as regular user and as root. It states that
/dev/ttyUSB0 cannot initialize

- running lircd to explicitly give it the driver --driver=/uirt2_raw
(this is the driver I used to successfully use) and the device
--device=/ttyUSB0. Again, efforts to use the device fail to initialize
-
- changing the permissions on /ttyUSB0 and making them as broad as
possible, then re-running the above. Nothing works.

Does anyone have this device working with kernel 5.8? or alternatively can
provide a guess as to how/why a kernel would drop this support, and how to
fix? Is it possible that I need to use a different lirc driver now (is
that even a thing?)

I would even be happy just to know how to research whether to roll back my
kernel to an earlier version that supports this device, provided it also
supports my AMD integrated renoir graphics. I've tried poking around on
kernel.org but it doesn't seem geared for that.
TIA
Mary
Re: USB-UIRT failing with kernel 5.8 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 21 Apr 2021 18:58:45 -0400, you wrote:

>hi,
>I've already written to the lirc mailing list without success, so I'm
>hoping someone here will be able to help. I have a USB-UIRT IR
>receiver/blaster. It worked fine under LInux Mint 20 / kernel 5.4 to
>support channel changing in myth. I just built a new computer and it
>requires Linux Mint EDGE to support my AMD integrated graphics. This
>version has me running kernel 5.8, and I think that is where the problem
>comes in.
>
>dmesg says the following about my device:
>
>[185823.887376] usb 3-2: new full-speed USB device number 4 using xhci_hcd
>[185824.058241] usb 3-2: New USB device found, idVendor=0403,
>idProduct=f850, bcdDevice= 6.00
>[185824.058245] usb 3-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2,
>SerialNumber=0
>[185824.058246] usb 3-2: Product: USB-UIRT
>[185824.058248] usb 3-2: Manufacturer: FTDI
>[185824.063338] ftdi_sio 3-2:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
>[185824.063380] usb 3-2: Detected FT232RL
>[185824.071436] usb 3-2: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to
>ttyUSB0
>
>I don't recall the "FTDI" being included before, so for starters, it would
>be great if someone could check me on this.
>
>The lirc docs say that (exactly one) entry should be created in
>/sys/class/rc, and I used to have such an entry in my old system. However,
>my new system shows nothing. This seems like a bad sign, as if there is no
>remote control device visible to the kernel.
>
>I have tried the following without success:
>
> - running "mode2" both as regular user and as root. It states that
> /dev/ttyUSB0 cannot initialize
>

> - running lircd to explicitly give it the driver --driver=/uirt2_raw
> (this is the driver I used to successfully use) and the device
> --device=/ttyUSB0. Again, efforts to use the device fail to initialize
> -
> - changing the permissions on /ttyUSB0 and making them as broad as
> possible, then re-running the above. Nothing works.
>
>Does anyone have this device working with kernel 5.8? or alternatively can
>provide a guess as to how/why a kernel would drop this support, and how to
>fix? Is it possible that I need to use a different lirc driver now (is
>that even a thing?)
>
>I would even be happy just to know how to research whether to roll back my
>kernel to an earlier version that supports this device, provided it also
>supports my AMD integrated renoir graphics. I've tried poking around on
>kernel.org but it doesn't seem geared for that.
>TIA
>Mary

There have been changes in how the timing is done for the IR drivers
in recent 5.8 kernels. That broke someone else's MCE remote by making
all the buttons repeat hundreds of times. It is clear that whoever is
making those changes is not testing them properly, so your problem may
be more of the same. If you can, try installing an older 5.8 kernel.
Does Mint use the same numbering as Ubuntu kernels? If so, you
probably need to try one at or before 5.8.0-45. Or if a 5.4 kernel
would work in the new hardware, use that.