Mailing List Archive

ALSA sound device not available on first attempt to use after boot
Hi folks,

After having updated my MythTV box a short while back to remain in a
supported version of Ubuntu, I noticed one quirk that didn't seem to be
there before:

On first boot, the very first attempt to play a recording will result in
no audio, and a dialog that pops up in the top right corner of the
screen. If I exit the video and play it again, the sound is fine. And
is fine for every single recording until the next system reboot.

Given that the system reboots are few and far between, this hasn't
bothered me much. But, I suppose I would prefer it to work properly
right after a clean boot.

MFE log from the first recording playback attempt:

mythfrontend[1945]: I CoreContext audio/audiooutputbase.cpp:823
(Reconfigure) AOBase: Opening audio device 'hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1' ch
2(6) sr 48000 sf signed 16 bit reenc 0
mythfrontend[1945]: E CoreContext audio/audiooutputalsa.cpp:464
(OpenDevice) ALSA: snd_pcm_open("hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1"): Device or
resource busy

For attempts after that:

mythfrontend[1945]: I CoreContext audio/audiooutputbase.cpp:823
(Reconfigure) AOBase: Opening audio device 'hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1' ch
2(6) sr 48000 sf signed 16 bit reenc 0
mythfrontend[1945]: W CoreContext audio/audiooutputalsa.cpp:775
(SetParameters) ALSA: Requested 500000us got 341333 buffer time

Any thoughts as to why the "Device or resource busy" on only the first
attempt to play a recording after bootup?

Thanks
-WD