Mailing List Archive

Category Record Over Time doesn't include "Sports event" anymore
Running current mythtv: *20210405*1304. In the past, I set up the
Category Record Over Time in Setup->Video->General->Advanced->Category
Record Over Time to 60 minutes for the category "Sports event". However,
this list no longer contains "Sports event" but now it lists Horses, etc
and a bunch of other categories. What happened to "Sports event"? Oddly
it contains "Sports non-event".
Re: Category Record Over Time doesn't include "Sports event" anymore [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 4:31 PM Scott Simpson <simpson100@gmail.com> wrote:

> Running current mythtv: 202104051304. In the past, I set up the Category Record Over Time in Setup->Video->General->Advanced->Category Record Over Time to 60 minutes for the category "Sports event". However, this list no longer contains "Sports event" but now it lists Horses, etc and a bunch of other categories. What happened to "Sports event"? Oddly it contains "Sports non-event".

First, the accuracy of EPG data may depend
on your guide provider(s) accuracy, and
your choice of grabber or EIT sources, so
what happens can vary dramatically from
case to case (so, the generic, "it depends"
answer).

In the case of XMLTV style EPG feeds,
the single category in the program table will
be the first that the guide provider prioritizes
*unless* it is one of the special types that
MythTV recognizes, in which case it will be
placed into the category_type field. In at least
some cases, that means 'sports', being a
special type, will be in the category_type field,
and the type of sport will likely end up in the
category field.

I would expect that when CBS shows an
American football game before 60 minutes
the values would have been of the form
category_type:"sports", category:"Football".

In addition to the single category values in
the program row itself, there is the related
table programgenres which contain the
other categories that the guide provider
makes available. Those may include a lot
more program related categories, and it
may be useful to use them for additional
categorization.
Re: Category Record Over Time doesn't include "Sports event" anymore [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 11 Apr 2021 09:29:58 -0700, you wrote:

>Running current mythtv: *20210405*1304. In the past, I set up the
>Category Record Over Time in Setup->Video->General->Advanced->Category
>Record Over Time to 60 minutes for the category "Sports event". However,
>this list no longer contains "Sports event" but now it lists Horses, etc
>and a bunch of other categories. What happened to "Sports event"? Oddly
>it contains "Sports non-event".

I do not use that feature as our EPG is too unreliable in its category
data, but I believe that the list is made up from the categories
currently in the EPG data in the database. The list I get in Setup is
an exact match to the results of this database query:

select distinct category from program order by category;
Re: Category Record Over Time doesn't include "Sports event" anymore [ In reply to ]
That's odd. I have OverTimeCategory set to "Sports event" and it *does*
record all sports program an hour over:

mysql> select value, data from settings where value = 'OverTimeCategory';
+------------------+--------------+
| value | data |
+------------------+--------------+
| OverTimeCategory | Sports event |
+------------------+--------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)
mysql>

I had this set for a while and I believe I selected it from the pulldown
years ago. I set up a mythtv box for my sister and I noticed the pulldown
isn't there anymore. I guess I can set it manually through SQL and see if
that works. Interestingly, I don't have "Sports event" in this query:

mysql> select distinct category from program order by category;
+----------------------+
| category |
+----------------------+
| Action |
| Action sports |
| Adventure |
| Aerobics |
| Agriculture |
| Special |
| Sports non-event |
| Sports talk |
| Standup |
| Sumo wrestling |
| Surfing |
| Swimming |

Because I am getting sports recorded for an hour extra for each sports
event, something is matching "Sports event" as a category. I'm in the Norcal
Bay Area and I have Comcast and my sister has Wave.

Re: Category Record Over Time doesn't include "Sports event" anymore [ In reply to ]
A while ago I also had the idea that event categories had changed. Without
yet looking into it, as far as I know it works like this (but I could be
wrong). The EIT/EPG has numeric codes which are translated to strings in
MythTV and those strings are stored in the database. It could just be that
the lookup table has been changed. Will require digging in the commits from
approx. 2 months ago to 1 month ago to find this one.

Klaas.

Re: Category Record Over Time doesn't include "Sports event" anymore [ In reply to ]
The interesting bit is that the term "Sports event" does appear in help
text and examples but it does not appear anywhere in the code base. It can
be there because of imported guide data from e.g. Schedules Direct but it
cannot come from EIT/EPG. The term "Sports non-event" does occur for
"dishCategory" value 0x81. As I understand it this lookup table should only
be used when receiving Dish satellite signals. I do not see anything
obvious in the commit history of the relevant files, e.g.
dvbdescriptor.cpp, that may cause this. Altogether it is a bit of a mystery
to me why also my own program descriptions have changed.

Klaas.

Re: Category Record Over Time doesn't include "Sports event" anymore [ In reply to ]
Well it works. I am using Schedules Direct and all my sports programs record an hour over. I’m not complaining as I like this behavior, but I’m wondering what happened to it in the pulldown.
Scott