compile. Has anyone fixed this issue yet?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve Greene
(301) 842-8923
historicity.co
An independent archival professional specializing in still photography,
moving images and recorded sound.
Re: Updated Ceton infinitv PCI-E drivers? [ In reply to ]
Some judicious Googling revealed a couple of issues with the Makefile that
needed to be fixed. It now compiles, but I've run up against the SSL
signing requirements. Modprobe won't accept the module without it, and it
isn't signed while building the module.

Has anyone dealt with this issue? Why is the Ceton module not built into
the kernel at this point?

Re: Updated Ceton infinitv PCI-E drivers? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 11:48:51 -0400, you wrote:

>On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 7:28 PM Steve Greene <sgreene820@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I just upgraded my system to 31-fixes (and Mint 20.1). I've got almost
>> everything else working, but the old drivers that worked under 18.04 don't
>> compile. Has anyone fixed this issue yet?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Steve

>Some judicious Googling revealed a couple of issues with the Makefile that
>needed to be fixed. It now compiles, but I've run up against the SSL
>signing requirements. Modprobe won't accept the module without it, and it
>isn't signed while building the module.
>
>Has anyone dealt with this issue? Why is the Ceton module not built into
>the kernel at this point?
>
>Thanks,
>Steve

I have never used secure boot, but this page seems to explain how to
sign things:

https://ubuntu.com/blog/how-to-sign-things-for-secure-boot

Kernel modules seem to need the kmodsign command.

The usual reason that drivers are not in the kernel is that the driver
code does not conform to the rules for kernel code, and no-one is
interested in doing the necessary rewrite. It can also be that there
has never been a proper request to add it to the kernel.
Re: Updated Ceton infinitv PCI-E drivers? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 3:51 PM Steve Greene <sgreene820@gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone dealt with this issue?

Signing modules is slightly different for
each OS, so you likely need to look in the
various linux mint documentation and/or
forums.

Alternatively, should you choose to do
so, you can turn off secure boot until
you figure out the signing magic for mint.

To ease future issues you will likely
want to have DKMS (or alternative)
automatically rebuild (and resign) your
driver for when you update your kernel.

> Why is the Ceton module not built into the kernel at this point?

Dead company (some poor business
decisions in various attempts at a pivot
that bankrupted them, although last I
checked (a few years ago) there were
some lingering lawsuits still outstanding
(zombie lawsuits that kept rising from
the dead)), and the result is a dead
and unsupported product.

Perhaps Ceton might have eventually
considered trying to get the driver into
the kernel, but at this point they are no
more, and no one else has stepped up
to support the driver. It should be noted
that while some Ceton staff talked about
their own Linux roots and interest (and
the card apparently runs a stripped down
instance (likely running busybox)), the
reality was that WMC/MCE was the only
market they were really in (as that was
the only platform that had a protected
path for content), so the Linux driver
was apparently never really a core offering.

If you want to be the one to support
the driver (and likely need to rewrite it
to meet the current kernel coding
standards) by all means work with the
Linux community. If you want someone
else to do so, perhaps offer a bounty