Looking at the backend status from mythweb, I see almost 600 GB of space
used by deleted recordings. That seems like a lot to me, since they
should be removed within 24 hours of me deleting the recording.

Using the Recorded Programs from mythweb and selecting the Deleted group
shows 222 programs in that group. This looks like something has gone
wrong with mythtv removing deleted recordings.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Jay
Re: Deleted Recordings Not Being Removed [ In reply to ]
Hoi Jay,

Saturday, March 20, 2021, 8:24:41 PM, you wrote:

> I am using MythTV 0.28. I have long ago set up a Deleted Recordings
> Group and configured mythtv to remove recordings from there after 24
> hours. This gives me an easy 1 day undo option. This has worked fine
> for years.

> Looking at the backend status from mythweb, I see almost 600 GB of space
> used by deleted recordings. That seems like a lot to me, since they
> should be removed within 24 hours of me deleting the recording.

> Using the Recorded Programs from mythweb and selecting the Deleted group
> shows 222 programs in that group. This looks like something has gone
> wrong with mythtv removing deleted recordings.

> Any ideas how to fix this?

> Jay

I doubt you set up this group, as it is a system group. Default
behavior is to keep deleted recordings until the space is needed, but
you can change it in the settings. Look there.

Tot mails,
Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop
Het eeuwige dilemma

De lerende Mens

Re: Deleted Recordings Not Being Removed [ In reply to ]
On 3/20/21 1:04 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Hoi Jay,
>
> Saturday, March 20, 2021, 8:24:41 PM, you wrote:
>
>> I am using MythTV 0.28. I have long ago set up a Deleted Recordings
>> Group and configured mythtv to remove recordings from there after 24
>> hours. This gives me an easy 1 day undo option. This has worked fine
>> for years.
>
>> Looking at the backend status from mythweb, I see almost 600 GB of space
>> used by deleted recordings. That seems like a lot to me, since they
>> should be removed within 24 hours of me deleting the recording.
>
>> Using the Recorded Programs from mythweb and selecting the Deleted group
>> shows 222 programs in that group. This looks like something has gone
>> wrong with mythtv removing deleted recordings.
>
>> Any ideas how to fix this?
>
>> Jay
>
> I doubt you set up this group, as it is a system group. Default
> behavior is to keep deleted recordings until the space is needed, but
> you can change it in the settings. Look there.
>

> Tot mails,
> Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com
>
> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
> Het eeuwige dilemma
> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>
> De lerende Mens

Deleted recordings are just no longer being "deleted". I double checked
Setup-> Video -> General -> Time to retain deleted recordings (days):
It is set to 1 (1 day), yet deleted recordings never get deleted. My HD
is nearly full and I have more than 1 TB of undeleted "deleted"
recordings. How do I make these actually get deleted?
Jay
Re: Deleted Recordings Not Being Removed [ In reply to ]
On 4/18/21 9:10 PM, Jay Foster wrote:
> On 3/20/21 1:04 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>> Hoi Jay,
>>
>> Saturday, March 20, 2021, 8:24:41 PM, you wrote:
>>
>>> I am using MythTV 0.28.  I have long ago set up a Deleted Recordings
>>> Group and configured mythtv to remove recordings from there after 24
>>> hours.  This gives me an easy 1 day undo option.  This has worked fine
>>> for years.
>>
>>> Looking at the backend status from mythweb, I see almost 600 GB of space
>>> used by deleted recordings.  That seems like a lot to me, since they
>>> should be removed within 24 hours of me deleting the recording.
>>
>>> Using the Recorded Programs from mythweb and selecting the Deleted group
>>> shows 222 programs in that group.  This looks like something has gone
>>> wrong with mythtv removing deleted recordings.
>>
>>> Any ideas how to fix this?
>>
>>> Jay
>>
>> I doubt you set up this group, as it is a system group. Default
>> behavior is to keep deleted recordings until the space is needed, but
>> you can change it in the settings. Look there.
>>

>> Tot mails,
>>    Hika                            mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com
>>
>> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
>> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
>> Het eeuwige dilemma
>> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>>
>> De lerende Mens

> Deleted recordings are just no longer being "deleted".  I double checked Setup-> Video -> General -> Time to retain deleted recordings (days):
> It is set to 1 (1 day), yet deleted recordings never get deleted.  My HD is nearly full and I have more than 1 TB of undeleted "deleted"
> recordings.  How do I make these actually get deleted?
> Jay

Are there any entries in the output of this: mythbackend --printexpire --quiet

If so, then see if Allow Recordings to Auto-expire is set in some/all recording
rules, especially templates.

--
Bill
Re: Deleted Recordings Not Being Removed [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 19:10:42 -0700, you wrote:

>Deleted recordings are just no longer being "deleted". I double checked
>Setup-> Video -> General -> Time to retain deleted recordings (days):
>It is set to 1 (1 day), yet deleted recordings never get deleted. My HD
>is nearly full and I have more than 1 TB of undeleted "deleted"
>recordings. How do I make these actually get deleted?
>Jay

As an interim measure until you can get deletion working properly, you
can manually delete "deleted" recordings. From the Recordings screen,
on the left hand column, M(enu) > Change Group Filter and select
"Deleted". That will list all the deleted recordings. If you now
delete them from there, they will be added to the immediate delete
queue and will actually be deleted, in order, over the next few
minutes. If you add all the deleted recordings to the play list, and
then use the playlist delete option, you can delete them all. It may
take quite a while for the delete queue to be processed after that if
there are a lot of them. And if that is where the problem with your
deleting is, they may still not delete properly.

To get back to normal, M(enu) > Change Group Filter and select "All
Programmes".
Re: Deleted Recordings Not Being Removed [ In reply to ]
On 4/18/2021 8:45 PM, Bill Meek wrote:
> On 4/18/21 9:10 PM, Jay Foster wrote:
>> On 3/20/21 1:04 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>>> Hoi Jay,

>>> I doubt you set up this group, as it is a system group. Default
>>> behavior is to keep deleted recordings until the space is needed, but
>>> you can change it in the settings. Look there.
>>>

>>> Tot mails,
>>>    Hika                            mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com
>>>
>>> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
>>> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
>>> Het eeuwige dilemma
>>> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>>>
>>> De lerende Mens
>> Deleted recordings are just no longer being "deleted".  I double checked Setup-> Video -> General -> Time to retain deleted recordings (days):
>> It is set to 1 (1 day), yet deleted recordings never get deleted.  My HD is nearly full and I have more than 1 TB of undeleted "deleted"
>> recordings.  How do I make these actually get deleted?
>> Jay
> Are there any entries in the output of this: mythbackend --printexpire --quiet
>
> If so, then see if Allow Recordings to Auto-expire is set in some/all recording
> rules, especially templates.

The output of 'mythbackend --printexpire --quiet' produced a list with
over 300 recordings.
I believe that I have always never enabled Allow Recordings to
Auto-expire, since I never want any recording to auto expire, only after
I manually delete it (after watching it).  I do not see what auto expire
has to do with not deleting recordings that I selected *delete* for.
Jay
Re: Deleted Recordings Not Being Removed [ In reply to ]
Hoi Jay,

> On 4/18/2021 8:45 PM, Bill Meek wrote:

>>> Deleted recordings are just no longer being "deleted".  I double checked Setup-> Video -> General -> Time to retain deleted recordings (days):
>>> It is set to 1 (1 day), yet deleted recordings never get deleted.  My HD is nearly full and I have more than 1 TB of undeleted "deleted"
>>> recordings.  How do I make these actually get deleted?
>>> Jay
>> Are there any entries in the output of this: mythbackend --printexpire --quiet
>>
>> If so, then see if Allow Recordings to Auto-expire is set in some/all recording
>> rules, especially templates.
>>
> The output of 'mythbackend --printexpire --quiet' produced a list with
> over 300 recordings.
> I believe that I have always never enabled Allow Recordings to
> Auto-expire, since I never want any recording to auto expire, only after
> I manually delete it (after watching it).  I do not see what auto expire
> has to do with not deleting recordings that I selected *delete* for.
> Jay

Could it be that you have yourself done things in the recording
directory. Like changing ownership or write permissions?

Re: Deleted Recordings Not Being Removed [ In reply to ]

No.
Re: Deleted Recordings Not Being Removed [ In reply to ]
On 4/18/21 11:24 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 19:10:42 -0700, you wrote:
>

>> Deleted recordings are just no longer being "deleted". I double checked
>> Setup-> Video -> General -> Time to retain deleted recordings (days):
>> It is set to 1 (1 day), yet deleted recordings never get deleted. My HD
>> is nearly full and I have more than 1 TB of undeleted "deleted"
>> recordings. How do I make these actually get deleted?
>> Jay
> As an interim measure until you can get deletion working properly, you
> can manually delete "deleted" recordings. From the Recordings screen,
> on the left hand column, M(enu) > Change Group Filter and select
> "Deleted". That will list all the deleted recordings. If you now
> delete them from there, they will be added to the immediate delete
> queue and will actually be deleted, in order, over the next few
> minutes. If you add all the deleted recordings to the play list, and
> then use the playlist delete option, you can delete them all. It may
> take quite a while for the delete queue to be processed after that if
> there are a lot of them. And if that is where the problem with your
> deleting is, they may still not delete properly.
>
> To get back to normal, M(enu) > Change Group Filter and select "All
> Programmes".

I tried your suggestion, but no joy.  It looked like the recordings were
being deleted, but then were added back to the Deleted recordings group,
rinse and repeat.

Jay

Re: Deleted Recordings Not Being Removed [ In reply to ]
Hoi Jay,

> On 4/18/21 11:24 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 19:10:42 -0700, you wrote:
>>

>>> Deleted recordings are just no longer being "deleted". I double checked
>>> Setup-> Video -> General -> Time to retain deleted recordings (days):
>>> It is set to 1 (1 day), yet deleted recordings never get deleted. My HD
>>> is nearly full and I have more than 1 TB of undeleted "deleted"
>>> recordings. How do I make these actually get deleted?
>>> Jay
>> As an interim measure until you can get deletion working properly, you
>> can manually delete "deleted" recordings. From the Recordings screen,
>> on the left hand column, M(enu) > Change Group Filter and select
>> "Deleted". That will list all the deleted recordings. If you now
>> delete them from there, they will be added to the immediate delete
>> queue and will actually be deleted, in order, over the next few
>> minutes. If you add all the deleted recordings to the play list, and
>> then use the playlist delete option, you can delete them all. It may
>> take quite a while for the delete queue to be processed after that if
>> there are a lot of them. And if that is where the problem with your
>> deleting is, they may still not delete properly.
>>
>> To get back to normal, M(enu) > Change Group Filter and select "All
>> Programmes".

> I tried your suggestion, but no joy.  It looked like the recordings were
> being deleted, but then were added back to the Deleted recordings group,
> rinse and repeat.

> Jay

What does the log say when you try the above! To me it looks there is
some inhibition, so there should be some error or other mentioning in
the log.

Re: Deleted Recordings Not Being Removed [ In reply to ]
On 4/19/2021 3:18 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Hoi Jay,
>
> Monday, April 19, 2021, 11:11:37 PM, you wrote:

>>> As an interim measure until you can get deletion working properly, you
>>> can manually delete "deleted" recordings. From the Recordings screen,
>>> on the left hand column, M(enu) > Change Group Filter and select
>>> "Deleted". That will list all the deleted recordings. If you now
>>> delete them from there, they will be added to the immediate delete
>>> queue and will actually be deleted, in order, over the next few
>>> minutes. If you add all the deleted recordings to the play list, and
>>> then use the playlist delete option, you can delete them all. It may
>>> take quite a while for the delete queue to be processed after that if
>>> there are a lot of them. And if that is where the problem with your
>>> deleting is, they may still not delete properly.
>>>
>>> To get back to normal, M(enu) > Change Group Filter and select "All
>>> Programmes".
>> I tried your suggestion, but no joy.  It looked like the recordings were
>> being deleted, but then were added back to the Deleted recordings group,
>> rinse and repeat.
>> Jay
> What does the log say when you try the above! To me it looks there is
> some inhibition, so there should be some error or other mentioning in
> the log.
>
> Tot mails,
> Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com
>
> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
> Het eeuwige dilemma
> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>
> De lerende Mens

What log?  What command do I use to see it?
Jay
Re: Deleted Recordings Not Being Removed [ In reply to ]
Hoi Jay,

Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 12:33:22 AM, you wrote:

> On 4/19/2021 3:18 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>> Hoi Jay,
>>
>> Monday, April 19, 2021, 11:11:37 PM, you wrote:

>>> I tried your suggestion, but no joy.  It looked like the recordings were
>>> being deleted, but then were added back to the Deleted recordings group,
>>> rinse and repeat.
>>> Jay
>> What does the log say when you try the above! To me it looks there is
>> some inhibition, so there should be some error or other mentioning in
>> the log.
>>
>> Tot mails,
>> Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com
>>
> What log?  What command do I use to see it?
> Jay

The Log, the place to always first look in case of issues.
It depends on your system setup where to look, but try in /var/log

Re: Deleted Recordings Not Being Removed [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 15:33:22 -0700, you wrote:

>What log?? What command do I use to see it?

The typical place for the log is /var/log/mythtv, but it depends on
what version of Linux you are using. The file is normally called
mythbackend.log, but that can vary too. It also pays to look at the
system logs and the systemd journals. In Ubuntu, look at
/var/log/syslog and run this command which shows you the latest
entries in the system journal:

journalctl -e

So what system are you running?

And I do remember a bug that was in an old version of MythTV that had
symptoms similar to what you are seeing. But I can not remember what
version it was in - I think it was older than 0.28, but I can not be
sure at all. It was fixed quite quickly at the time, so if you are on
0.28-fixes, it would not be that bug.
Re: Deleted Recordings Not Being Removed [ In reply to ]

>>> Deleted recordings are just no longer being "deleted". I double checked Setup-> Video -> General -> Time to retain deleted recordings (days):
>>> It is set to 1 (1 day), yet deleted recordings never get deleted. My HD is nearly full and I have more than 1 TB of undeleted "deleted"
>>> recordings. How do I make these actually get deleted?
>>> Jay
>> Are there any entries in the output of this: mythbackend --printexpire --quiet
>>
>> If so, then see if Allow Recordings to Auto-expire is set in some/all recording
>> rules, especially templates.

There is another setting that controls how long deleted recordings will stick around.

In TV settings -> General -> General(Auto Expire) is a setting

'Time to Retain Deleted Recordings’

I have this set to 2 days which means that once a recording has been moved to the Deleted group, The recording will then be deleted from the hard drive.

A value of 0 means it will be deleted within 20 minutes. A value of -1 means that will only be deleted is space is needed for new recordings.

Regards.
Re: Deleted Recordings Not Being Removed [ In reply to ]
On 4/19/21 10:09 AM, Jay Foster wrote:
> On 4/18/2021 8:45 PM, Bill Meek wrote:

>>> Deleted recordings are just no longer being "deleted".  I double checked Setup-> Video -> General -> Time to retain deleted recordings (days):
>>> It is set to 1 (1 day), yet deleted recordings never get deleted.  My HD is nearly full and I have more than 1 TB of undeleted "deleted"
>>> recordings.  How do I make these actually get deleted?
>>> Jay
>> Are there any entries in the output of this: mythbackend --printexpire --quiet
>>
>> If so, then see if Allow Recordings to Auto-expire is set in some/all recording
>> rules, especially templates.
>>
> The output of 'mythbackend --printexpire --quiet' produced a list with over 300 recordings.
> I believe that I have always never enabled Allow Recordings to Auto-expire, since I never want any recording to auto expire, only after I
> manually delete it (after watching it).  I do not see what auto expire has to do with not deleting recordings that I selected *delete* for.

Agreed, at least when I delete a recording, it's gone.

The --printexpire output says that at least at some time, you were using
the feature. I have to disagree with:

*I believe that I have always never enabled Allow Recordings to Auto-expire*

You can look at the recording rule for one or more of the programs
that printed with --printexpire to see if if Auto-expire is set. Or,
you can do this to see all affected rules:

mysql --host=localhost --user=mythtv --password=FROMconfig.sys --execute "SELECT title FROM record WHERE autoexpire != 0;" mythconverg

Of course, the rule(s) that caused those recordings to use Auto-expire
may have been deleted long ago.

300+ recordings may/may not be enough to fill the 1TB drive ('cause I
don't know the quality/length of the recordings).

I'd try find-orphans.py too. https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Find_orphans.py

--
Bill
Re: Deleted Recordings Not Being Removed [ In reply to ]
On 4/19/21 8:57 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 15:33:22 -0700, you wrote:
>
>> What log?  What command do I use to see it?
> The typical place for the log is /var/log/mythtv, but it depends on
> what version of Linux you are using. The file is normally called
> mythbackend.log, but that can vary too. It also pays to look at the
> system logs and the systemd journals. In Ubuntu, look at
> /var/log/syslog and run this command which shows you the latest
> entries in the system journal:
>
> journalctl -e
>
> So what system are you running?
>
> And I do remember a bug that was in an old version of MythTV that had
> symptoms similar to what you are seeing. But I can not remember what
> version it was in - I think it was older than 0.28, but I can not be
> sure at all. It was fixed quite quickly at the time, so if you are on
> 0.28-fixes, it would not be that bug.

The logs showed evidence of permissions problems.  I looked at the files
in the recording directory and some were owned by mythtv and others by
jay.  I ran 'sudo chown mythtv:mythtv *' in the recording directory and
tried the Deleted Recordings -> Playlist -> Delete technique again.  It
then appeared as if mythtv was now deleting the recordings (yeah).

However, things are still broken somehow.  The 'mythbackend
--printexpire --quiet' command now shows just 7 recordings (the 7 I
watched and deleted last night).  This is expected.  The frontend
Deleted Recordings group also only has these same 7 recordings in it.
But the mythweb backend status still shows over 500GB of deleted
recordings remaining to be deleted.  The actions (above) resulted in
deleting about 260GB, but according to mythweb backend status, there is
still 570GB left to go.  How do I get mythtv to delete these deleted
recordings?

Disk Usage Summary:

* Total Disk Space:
o Total Space: 3,813,582 MB
o Space Used: 3,302,627 MB
o Space Free: 510,955 MB
o Space Available After Auto-expire: 1,085,714 MB
+ Space Used by LiveTV: 0 MB
+ Space Used by Deleted Recordings: 574,759 MB
+ Space Used by Auto-expirable Recordings: 0 MB

Jay
Re: Deleted Recordings Not Being Removed [ In reply to ]
On 4/20/21 7:19 AM, Bill Meek wrote:
> On 4/19/21 10:09 AM, Jay Foster wrote:

>>> Are there any entries in the output of this: mythbackend --printexpire --quiet
>>>
>>> If so, then see if Allow Recordings to Auto-expire is set in some/all recording
>>> rules, especially templates.
>>>
>> The output of 'mythbackend --printexpire --quiet' produced a list with over 300 recordings.
>> I believe that I have always never enabled Allow Recordings to Auto-expire, since I never want any recording to auto expire, only after I
>> manually delete it (after watching it).  I do not see what auto expire has to do with not deleting recordings that I selected *delete* for.
> Agreed, at least when I delete a recording, it's gone.
>
> The --printexpire output says that at least at some time, you were using
> the feature. I have to disagree with:
>
> *I believe that I have always never enabled Allow Recordings to Auto-expire*
>
> You can look at the recording rule for one or more of the programs
> that printed with --printexpire to see if if Auto-expire is set. Or,
> you can do this to see all affected rules:
>
> mysql --host=localhost --user=mythtv --password=FROMconfig.sys --execute "SELECT title FROM record WHERE autoexpire != 0;" mythconverg

This SQL query produced one row (result).

> Of course, the rule(s) that caused those recordings to use Auto-expire
> may have been deleted long ago.
>
> 300+ recordings may/may not be enough to fill the 1TB drive ('cause I
> don't know the quality/length of the recordings).
>
> I'd try find-orphans.py too. https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Find_orphans.py

find_orphans did not find any orphaned recordings.

Jay

Re: Deleted Recordings Not Being Removed [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 07:25:03 -0700, you wrote:

>On 4/19/21 8:57 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 15:33:22 -0700, you wrote:
>>
>>> What log?? What command do I use to see it?
>> The typical place for the log is /var/log/mythtv, but it depends on
>> what version of Linux you are using. The file is normally called
>> mythbackend.log, but that can vary too. It also pays to look at the
>> system logs and the systemd journals. In Ubuntu, look at
>> /var/log/syslog and run this command which shows you the latest
>> entries in the system journal:
>>
>> journalctl -e
>>
>> So what system are you running?
>>
>> And I do remember a bug that was in an old version of MythTV that had
>> symptoms similar to what you are seeing. But I can not remember what
>> version it was in - I think it was older than 0.28, but I can not be
>> sure at all. It was fixed quite quickly at the time, so if you are on
>> 0.28-fixes, it would not be that bug.
>
>The logs showed evidence of permissions problems.? I looked at the files
>in the recording directory and some were owned by mythtv and others by
>jay.? I ran 'sudo chown mythtv:mythtv *' in the recording directory and
>tried the Deleted Recordings -> Playlist -> Delete technique again.? It
>then appeared as if mythtv was now deleting the recordings (yeah).
>
>However, things are still broken somehow.? The 'mythbackend
>--printexpire --quiet' command now shows just 7 recordings (the 7 I
>watched and deleted last night).? This is expected.? The frontend
>Deleted Recordings group also only has these same 7 recordings in it.?
>But the mythweb backend status still shows over 500GB of deleted
>recordings remaining to be deleted.? The actions (above) resulted in
>deleting about 260GB, but according to mythweb backend status, there is
>still 570GB left to go.? How do I get mythtv to delete these deleted
>recordings?
>
>Disk Usage Summary:
>
> * Total Disk Space:
> o Total Space: 3,813,582 MB
> o Space Used: 3,302,627 MB
> o Space Free: 510,955 MB
> o Space Available After Auto-expire: 1,085,714 MB
> + Space Used by LiveTV: 0 MB
> + Space Used by Deleted Recordings: 574,759 MB
> + Space Used by Auto-expirable Recordings: 0 MB
>
>Jay

Give it some time to delete the recordings - look again in a few hours
and see if they have been deleted. Depending on your settings,
deleting a recording can take a while. And listen to your hard drives
- if they are active but no recordings are in progress, then deletes
are probably happening. And if I remember similar problems in the
past correctly, restarting the backend is worth trying now that you
have fixed the ownership. The delete processing will be restarted
when mythbackend is restarted.

Did you also check the permissions on the recording files? If they do
not have write permission and write permission on the directory, then
deletes will fail.

I believe that recordings being deleted are marked with the
deletepending flag, so this query may show useful information:

sudo mysql
use mythconverg;
select chanid,starttime,title,deletepending from recorded where
deletepending!=0 order by starttime;
quit
Re: Deleted Recordings Not Being Removed [ In reply to ]
On 4/20/21 12:05 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> [...]
> and see if they have been deleted. Depending on your settings,
> deleting a recording can take a while. And listen to your hard drives
> - if they are active but no recordings are in progress, then deletes
> are probably happening. And if I remember similar problems in the
> past correctly, restarting the backend is worth trying now that you
> have fixed the ownership. The delete processing will be restarted
> when mythbackend is restarted.
>
> Did you also check the permissions on the recording files? If they do
> not have write permission and write permission on the directory, then
> deletes will fail.
>
> I believe that recordings being deleted are marked with the
> deletepending flag, so this query may show useful information:
>
> sudo mysql
> use mythconverg;
> select chanid,starttime,title,deletepending from recorded where

The issue now seems to be that mythweb disagrees with what recordings
have been deleted.  The backend and frontend report correctly, but
mythweb reports about 300 additional "deleted" recordings.  I know that
at least some of these are not deleted and still show up in the
recordings list on the front end. Somehow, mythweb gets it's information
about deleted recordings from some place other than where the BE/FE does.

Rebooting does not fix this.

Jay

Re: Deleted Recordings Not Being Removed [ In reply to ]
On 4/20/21 1:25 PM, Jay Foster wrote:
> [...]
>> not have write permission and write permission on the directory, then
>> deletes will fail.
>>
>> I believe that recordings being deleted are marked with the
>> deletepending flag, so this query may show useful information:
>>
>> sudo mysql
>> use mythconverg;
>> select chanid,starttime,title,deletepending from recorded where
>> deletepending!=0 order by starttime;
>> quit
>
> The issue now seems to be that mythweb disagrees with what recordings
> have been deleted.  The backend and frontend report correctly, but
> mythweb reports about 300 additional "deleted" recordings.  I know
> that at least some of these are not deleted and still show up in the
> recordings list on the front end. Somehow, mythweb gets it's
> information about deleted recordings from some place other than where

I think I have found a way to delete the deleted recordings using
mythweb.  Using the Recorded Programs UI with the Show group = Deleted,
I can still see all of the deleted recordings.  From there I can really
delete them one by one using the Delete button.  I can only do a few at
a time, though, otherwise mythweb fails with an error about too many
connections.

Jay

Re: Deleted Recordings Not Being Removed [ In reply to ]
If deletion fails due to a permission problem or other issue, the
recordings can be left in a delete pending state. Displays of their
state will be inconsistent.

See If this select shows anything:

select deletepending, recgroup, count(*) from recorded group by
deletepending, recgroup;

Fix this by using this with the backend down:

UPDATE recorded SET deletepending = 0 where recgroup = 'Deleted';

After starting the backend they should delete normally, as long as the
ownership of the recordings and their directory is correct

Peter

Re: Deleted Recordings Not Being Removed [ In reply to ]
On 4/21/21 9:49 AM, Peter Bennett wrote:
> If deletion fails due to a permission problem or other issue, the
> recordings can be left in a delete pending state. Displays of their
> state will be inconsistent.
>
> See If this select shows anything:
>
> select deletepending, recgroup, count(*) from recorded group by
> deletepending, recgroup;
>
> Fix this by using this with the backend down:
>
> UPDATE recorded SET deletepending = 0 where recgroup = 'Deleted';
>
> After starting the backend they should delete normally, as long as the
> ownership of the recordings and their directory is correct
>
> Peter

The query produced the following output:

+---------------+----------+----------+
| deletepending | recgroup | count(*) |
+---------------+----------+----------+
|             0 | Default  |      727 |
|             0 | Deleted  |       15 |
|             1 | Default  |       15 |
This is after I deleted the deleted recordings using mythweb. Note that
recordings recorded, watched, and deleted in the last two days (15) were
not deleted by mythweb, they should get deleted automatically after 7
days (what I configured).

Since no recordings in the Deleted recgroup have a non-zero
deletepending, I don't think the second SQL command will accomplish
anything.

Jay