Mailing List Archive

mythfrontend over vnc crashes
I upgraded my frontend and separate backend from ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04,
then upgraded myth from the .29 mythbuntu ppa to .31 (all due to the
pending changes involving the metadata grabbers).

The frontend and backend both work fine after the upgrade.

Before the upgrade, I was able to use vnc tunnelled over ssh to run
mythfrontend on the backend, too (I do most editing this way). Here is
the complete command to run the server:

Xtightvnc :100 -desktop MYTHTV_SERVER -auth
/home/mythtv-user/.Xauthority -geometry 1500x860 -depth 24 -rfbwait
120000 -rfbauth /home/mythtv-user/.vnc/passwd -rfbport 6000 -fp
/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/
-co /etc/X11/rgb -nevershared

The vncserver runs a fluxbox window manager.

After the upgrade, that no longer works even though mythfrontend works
on the backend (under the gnome desktop). It looks like a Qt-related
problem, but I am at a loss how to fix it.

Attached are stdout and stderr from

mythfrontend > m.log 2> m.err.txt

in a terminal inside the fluxbox-managed vnc session.

TIA,
Leo
Re: mythfrontend over vnc crashes [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2021-03-01 at 07:57 -0600, Leo Butler via mythtv-users wrote:
> I upgraded my frontend and separate backend from ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04,
> then upgraded myth from the .29 mythbuntu ppa to .31 (all due to the
> pending changes involving the metadata grabbers).
>
> The frontend and backend both work fine after the upgrade.
>
> Before the upgrade, I was able to use vnc tunnelled over ssh to run
> mythfrontend on the backend, too (I do most editing this way). Here is
> the complete command to run the server:
>
> Xtightvnc :100 -desktop MYTHTV_SERVER -auth
> /home/mythtv-user/.Xauthority -geometry 1500x860 -depth 24 -rfbwait
> 120000 -rfbauth /home/mythtv-user/.vnc/passwd -rfbport 6000 -fp
> /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/
> -co /etc/X11/rgb -nevershared
>

> The vncserver runs a fluxbox window manager.
>
> After the upgrade, that no longer works even though mythfrontend works
> on the backend (under the gnome desktop). It looks like a Qt-related
> problem, but I am at a loss how to fix it.
>
> Attached are stdout and stderr from
>
> mythfrontend > m.log 2> m.err.txt
>
> in a terminal inside the fluxbox-managed vnc session.
>
> TIA,
> Leo

Can you simply `ssh -X` into the server?  Ubuntu is running Wayland, so
.Xauthority is no longer used, etc..  Is the vnc server running, or
does it error out on start?
Re: mythfrontend over vnc crashes [ In reply to ]
On 3/1/21 9:13 AM, Grge Oliver wrote:
> On Mon, 2021-03-01 at 07:57 -0600, Leo Butler via mythtv-users wrote:
>> I upgraded my frontend and separate backend from ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04,
>> then upgraded myth from the .29 mythbuntu ppa to .31 (all due to the
>> pending changes involving the metadata grabbers).
>> The frontend and backend both work fine after the upgrade.
>> Before the upgrade, I was able to use vnc tunnelled over ssh to run
>> mythfrontend on the backend, too (I do most editing this way). Here is
>> the complete command to run the server:
>> Xtightvnc :100 -desktop MYTHTV_SERVER -auth
>> /home/mythtv-user/.Xauthority -geometry 1500x860 -depth 24 -rfbwait
>> 120000 -rfbauth /home/mythtv-user/.vnc/passwd -rfbport 6000 -fp
>> /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/
>> -co /etc/X11/rgb -nevershared
>> The vncserver runs a fluxbox window manager.
>> After the upgrade, that no longer works even though mythfrontend works
>> on the backend (under the gnome desktop). It looks like a Qt-related
>> problem, but I am at a loss how to fix it.
>> Attached are stdout and stderr from
>> mythfrontend > m.log 2> m.err.txt
>> in a terminal inside the fluxbox-managed vnc session.
>> TIA,
>> Leo
>
> Can you simply `ssh -X` into the server?  Ubuntu is running Wayland,
> so .Xauthority is no longer used, etc..  Is the vnc server running, or
> does it error out on start?

Mythfrontend does not run that way either. I believe the problem is with
OpenGL, does not run over a remote X session. mythfrontend was changed
to require OpenGL, where before it was optional.

You can use xrdp. I have used that for many years on Ubuntu and it
provides a remote login that supports OpenGL.

Peter
Re: mythfrontend over vnc crashes [ In reply to ]
Hello,

On Mon, Mar 01, 2021 at 07:57:25AM -0600, Leo Butler via mythtv-users wrote:
> I upgraded my frontend and separate backend from ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04,
> then upgraded myth from the .29 mythbuntu ppa to .31 (all due to the
> pending changes involving the metadata grabbers).
>
> The frontend and backend both work fine after the upgrade.
>
> Before the upgrade, I was able to use vnc tunnelled over ssh to run
> mythfrontend on the backend, too (I do most editing this way). Here is
> the complete command to run the server:
>
> [...]
>
> The vncserver runs a fluxbox window manager.
>
> After the upgrade, that no longer works even though mythfrontend works
> on the backend (under the gnome desktop). It looks like a Qt-related
> problem, but I am at a loss how to fix it.
>
> Attached are stdout and stderr from
>
> mythfrontend > m.log 2> m.err.txt
>
> in a terminal inside the fluxbox-managed vnc session.

> [...]
> The X11 connection broke (error 4). Did the X11 server die?

If it is of any use, I run the frontend routinely from a VNC desktop
running Openbox. In my case, I am running TigerVNC not TightVNC. This is
running in a VM (with no GPU access) on a server, also with no GPU.

The frontend seems to run completely fine with software OpenGL.

I am also running 0.32-pre, which hasn't been updated in a bit, so I
don't know if something has been committed to both 0.31-fixes and
0.32-pre that could cause this problem, since I built, but I hope not. I
would have no way to get hardware OpenGL on this machine...

The error from X11 is EINTR, which means that the process should have
received some signal when communicating to the X server. You could see
which if you ran the frontend from a debugger.

However, because of the error here, you might be able to see something
else in the logs for VNC (usually in ~/.vnc/$DISPLAY.log). They might
point to the origin of the problem. Maybe there is some bug in that
particular VNC server.

--
Douglas Paul

Re: mythfrontend over vnc crashes [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 01 Mar 2021 07:57:25 -0600, you wrote:

>I upgraded my frontend and separate backend from ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04,
>then upgraded myth from the .29 mythbuntu ppa to .31 (all due to the
>pending changes involving the metadata grabbers).
>
>The frontend and backend both work fine after the upgrade.
>
>Before the upgrade, I was able to use vnc tunnelled over ssh to run
>mythfrontend on the backend, too (I do most editing this way). Here is
>the complete command to run the server:
>
>Xtightvnc :100 -desktop MYTHTV_SERVER -auth
>/home/mythtv-user/.Xauthority -geometry 1500x860 -depth 24 -rfbwait
>120000 -rfbauth /home/mythtv-user/.vnc/passwd -rfbport 6000 -fp
>/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/
>-co /etc/X11/rgb -nevershared
>

>The vncserver runs a fluxbox window manager.
>
>After the upgrade, that no longer works even though mythfrontend works
>on the backend (under the gnome desktop). It looks like a Qt-related
>problem, but I am at a loss how to fix it.
>
>Attached are stdout and stderr from
>
>mythfrontend > m.log 2> m.err.txt
>
>in a terminal inside the fluxbox-managed vnc session.
>
>TIA,
>Leo

I use x11vnc as my vnc server, and not too long ago on an Ubuntu
upgrade I was unable to connect to it properly. To make it work
again, I needed to switch my display manager from gdm to lightdm. I
run x11vnc from a systemd service:

root@mypvr:~# systemctl cat x11vnc
# /etc/systemd/system/x11vnc.service
[Unit]
Description=Start x11vnc at startup.
After=multi-user.target

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/usr/bin/x11vnc -auth guess -forever -loop -noxdamage
-repeat -rfbauth /etc/x11vnc.pass -rfbport 5900 -shared -noxrecord

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
Re: mythfrontend over vnc crashes [ In reply to ]
Douglas Paul <doug@bogon.ca> writes:

> Hello,
>
> On Mon, Mar 01, 2021 at 07:57:25AM -0600, Leo Butler via mythtv-users wrote:
>> I upgraded my frontend and separate backend from ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04,
>> then upgraded myth from the .29 mythbuntu ppa to .31 (all due to the
>> pending changes involving the metadata grabbers).
>>
>> The frontend and backend both work fine after the upgrade.
>>
>> Before the upgrade, I was able to use vnc tunnelled over ssh to run
>> mythfrontend on the backend, too (I do most editing this way). Here is
>> the complete command to run the server:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> The vncserver runs a fluxbox window manager.
>>
>> After the upgrade, that no longer works even though mythfrontend works
>> on the backend (under the gnome desktop). It looks like a Qt-related
>> problem, but I am at a loss how to fix it.
>>
>> Attached are stdout and stderr from
>>
>> mythfrontend > m.log 2> m.err.txt
>>
>> in a terminal inside the fluxbox-managed vnc session.
>
>> [...]
>> The X11 connection broke (error 4). Did the X11 server die?
>
> If it is of any use, I run the frontend routinely from a VNC desktop
> running Openbox. In my case, I am running TigerVNC not TightVNC. This is
> running in a VM (with no GPU access) on a server, also with no GPU.
>
> The frontend seems to run completely fine with software OpenGL.
>
> I am also running 0.32-pre, which hasn't been updated in a bit, so I
> don't know if something has been committed to both 0.31-fixes and
> 0.32-pre that could cause this problem, since I built, but I hope not. I
> would have no way to get hardware OpenGL on this machine...
>
> The error from X11 is EINTR, which means that the process should have
> received some signal when communicating to the X server. You could see
> which if you ran the frontend from a debugger.
>
> However, because of the error here, you might be able to see something
> else in the logs for VNC (usually in ~/.vnc/$DISPLAY.log). They might
> point to the origin of the problem. Maybe there is some bug in that
> particular VNC server.

Thanks. I tried a few things, but the only thing that seems to work at
the moment is running a gnome session on the server with x11vnc. I don't
like running such a resource hog, but ...

There are so many possible points of failure, that I will put a pin in
it for the moment and try again when I have more time.

Leo
Re: mythfrontend over vnc crashes [ In reply to ]
> On 1 Mar 2021, at 9:57 pm, Leo Butler via mythtv-users <mythtv-users@mythtv.org> wrote:
>
> I upgraded my frontend and separate backend from ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04,
> then upgraded myth from the .29 mythbuntu ppa to .31 (all due to the
> pending changes involving the metadata grabbers).
>
> The frontend and backend both work fine after the upgrade.
>
> Before the upgrade, I was able to use vnc tunnelled over ssh to run
> mythfrontend on the backend, too (I do most editing this way). Here is
> the complete command to run the server:
>
> Xtightvnc :100 -desktop MYTHTV_SERVER -auth
> /home/mythtv-user/.Xauthority -geometry 1500x860 -depth 24 -rfbwait
> 120000 -rfbauth /home/mythtv-user/.vnc/passwd -rfbport 6000 -fp
> /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/
> -co /etc/X11/rgb -nevershared
>

> The vncserver runs a fluxbox window manager.
>
> After the upgrade, that no longer works even though mythfrontend works
> on the backend (under the gnome desktop). It looks like a Qt-related
> problem, but I am at a loss how to fix it.
>
> Attached are stdout and stderr from
>
> mythfrontend > m.log 2> m.err.txt
>
> in a terminal inside the fluxbox-managed vnc session.

Leo

just a generic question, and the answer may be idealogy

vnc does not forward sound and some of my frontends cannot do pulse but nomachine is trivally easy to setup and works well

James
Re: mythfrontend over vnc crashes [ In reply to ]
> On 1 Mar 2021, at 10:13 pm, Grge Oliver <oliver.greg@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Can you simply `ssh -X` into the server? Ubuntu is running Wayland, so .Xauthority is no longer used, etc.. Is the vnc server running, or does it error out on start?

The ssh performance is very syrupish. I do not run wayland, and I think it is gl stuff. Even setup is a pain

[press a key]
nothing happens
[press again]
[press again]

gui starts to respond and does 3 key push of whatever

James
Re: mythfrontend over vnc crashes [ In reply to ]
James <jam@tigger.ws> writes:

>> On 1 Mar 2021, at 10:13 pm, Grge Oliver <oliver.greg@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Can you simply `ssh -X` into the server? Ubuntu is running Wayland, so .Xauthority is no longer used, etc.. Is the vnc server running, or does it error out on start?

The vnc server is running. Mythfrontend crashes when run inside a vnc
session running a fluxbox-managed X session (same for openbox). The vnc
server survives the crash.

> The ssh performance is very syrupish. I do not run wayland, and I think it is gl stuff. Even setup is a pain
>
> [press a key]
> nothing happens
> [press again]
> [press again]
>
> gui starts to respond and does 3 key push of whatever

Yes, ssh X forwarding is not nearly as fast as using a vnc server. The
performance of x11vnc (forwarded over a ssh tunnel) is very good on my
lan.

Leo
Re: mythfrontend over vnc crashes [ In reply to ]
James <jam@tigger.ws> writes:

>> On 1 Mar 2021, at 9:57 pm, Leo Butler via mythtv-users <mythtv-users@mythtv.org> wrote:
>>
>> I upgraded my frontend and separate backend from ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04,
>> then upgraded myth from the .29 mythbuntu ppa to .31 (all due to the
>> pending changes involving the metadata grabbers).
>>
>> The frontend and backend both work fine after the upgrade.
>>
>> Before the upgrade, I was able to use vnc tunnelled over ssh to run
>> mythfrontend on the backend, too (I do most editing this way). Here is
>> the complete command to run the server:
>>
>> Xtightvnc :100 -desktop MYTHTV_SERVER -auth
>> /home/mythtv-user/.Xauthority -geometry 1500x860 -depth 24 -rfbwait
>> 120000 -rfbauth /home/mythtv-user/.vnc/passwd -rfbport 6000 -fp
>> /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/
>> -co /etc/X11/rgb -nevershared
>>

>> The vncserver runs a fluxbox window manager.
>>
>> After the upgrade, that no longer works even though mythfrontend works
>> on the backend (under the gnome desktop). It looks like a Qt-related
>> problem, but I am at a loss how to fix it.
>>
>> Attached are stdout and stderr from
>>
>> mythfrontend > m.log 2> m.err.txt
>>
>> in a terminal inside the fluxbox-managed vnc session.
>
> Leo
>
> just a generic question, and the answer may be idealogy
>
> vnc does not forward sound and some of my frontends cannot do pulse but nomachine is trivally easy to setup and works well
>
> James

James,

I do use x2go on another server I control. It works fine and is pretty
easy to setup, yes.

But no, I haven't gone that route here, mainly because I would like to
understand why a long-running, stable solution is now failing. Plus, I
don't want/need the extras that x2go provides (like sound).

Leo
Re: mythfrontend over vnc crashes [ In reply to ]
I've read of problems running Qt5 applications in a TightVNC server.
Try using a TigerVNC server. It works for me.

--
Gregorio Gervasio Jr. gregorio.gervasio@gmail.com