watching for a while never seem to update when major changes are made in
the series. For example the Daily Show with Trevor Noah still shows a
picture of Jon Stewart. Is there some way to force it to update?

Re: Our of date artwork [ In reply to ]
Refreshing artwork is currently not an easy way in mythtv:
See
https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4121

You can use the user-job del_artwork_v4.py
linked from this thread at
https://forum.mythtv.org/download/file.php?id=909

This script should be named 'refresh_artwork.py',
because this is actually what it is doing.