Mailing List Archive

1 2 3 4  View All
Re: Important: Changes to Metadata lookup in March 2021 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 18:26:53 -0800, you wrote:

>No joy here. I updated to a recent ca-certificates package, but the
>issue persists. I can access the https://tvmaze.com website using
>firefox with no problem and view the site certificate which has a common
>name of tvmaze.com. However, for some reason, the tvmaze.py script is
>trying to use tvlive.tvmaze.info instead, which does not match.
>Jay

Firefox uses its own internal certificate store, not the system wide
one.
Re: Important: Changes to Metadata lookup in March 2021 [ In reply to ]
On 2/28/21 3:13 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 18:26:53 -0800, you wrote:
>
>> No joy here. I updated to a recent ca-certificates package, but the
>> issue persists. I can access the https://tvmaze.com website using
>> firefox with no problem and view the site certificate which has a common
>> name of tvmaze.com. However, for some reason, the tvmaze.py script is
>> trying to use tvlive.tvmaze.info instead, which does not match.
>> Jay

For the certificate errors with tvmaze, I suggest go into endpoints.py
and change all the "https://something" entries to "http://something"

Peter

Re: Important: Changes to Metadata lookup in March 2021 [ In reply to ]
On 2/28/21 12:13 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 18:26:53 -0800, you wrote:
>
>> No joy here. I updated to a recent ca-certificates package, but the
>> issue persists. I can access the https://tvmaze.com website using
>> firefox with no problem and view the site certificate which has a common
>> name of tvmaze.com. However, for some reason, the tvmaze.py script is
>> trying to use tvlive.tvmaze.info instead, which does not match.
>> Jay
> Firefox uses its own internal certificate store, not the system wide
> one.

I'm not so sure this is a CA certificate issue.  Smells more like a
wrong URL (hostname) issue. I can use "wget https://api.tvmaze.com",
which works just fine.  I think this is an HTTPS SNI issue where the
incorrect hostname is not being presented to the server resulting in the
certificate CN mismatch (urllib3 issue).

jay@mythbox:~$ /usr/share/mythtv/metadata/Television/tvmaze.py -l en -a
US -M Monk
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/urllib3/util/ssl_.py:339:
SNIMissingWarning: An HTTPS request has been made, but the SNI (Subject
Name Indication) extension to TLS is not available on this platform.
This may cause the server to present an incorrect TLS certificate, which
can cause validation failures. You can upgrade to a newer version of
Python to solve this. For more information, see
https://urllib3.readthedocs.io/en/latest/advanced-usage.html#ssl-warnings
  SNIMissingWarning
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/urllib3/util/ssl_.py:137:
InsecurePlatformWarning: A true SSLContext object is not available. This
prevents urllib3 from configuring SSL appropriately and may cause
certain SSL connections to fail. You can upgrade to a newer version of
Python to solve this. For more information, see
https://urllib3.readthedocs.io/en/latest/advanced-usage.html#ssl-warnings
  InsecurePlatformWarning
ERROR: <class 'requests.exceptions.SSLError'> :
HTTPSConnectionPool(host='api.tvmaze.com', port=443): Max retries
exceeded with url: /search/shows?q=Monk (Caused by
SSLError(CertificateError("hostname 'api.tvmaze.com' doesn't match
'tvlive.tvmaze.info'",),))
jay@mythbox:~$

Back in September, 2017, I previously updated the metadata bindings to
support the TVDB API v2 (https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/TheTVDB_API_v2). As
part of this, I updated/installed the following packages from Ubuntu
xenial (16.04):

python-future_0.15.2-1_all.deb
python-requests-cache_0.4.10-1_all.deb
python-requests_2.9.1-3_all.deb
python-urllib3_1.13.1-2_all.deb (this package actually installs version
1.22).

Are these versions adequate for the new tvmaze bindings?  I am
suspicious of something wrong with urllib3 or requests.  I also have two
versions of urllib3 installed (one in /usr/lib and one in
/usr/local/lib).  The one in /usr/local/lib was installed for the TVDB
API v2 issue and is the one being used by tvmaze.py (somehow).

I upgraded these packages (in /usr/local/lib) using "pip install
--upgrade <package>" for urllib3, chardet, requests, requests-cache,
python-dateutil, and future.  Each was successful, yet I get the same
warnings and error with tvmaze.py.  Has anyone gotten tvmaze.py to work
with 0.28 or older?  This is on Ubuntu trusty (14.04).

Jay
Re: Important: Changes to Metadata lookup in March 2021 [ In reply to ]
On 2/28/21 11:19 AM, Jay Foster wrote:
> [...]
> python-requests-cache_0.4.10-1_all.deb
> python-requests_2.9.1-3_all.deb
> python-urllib3_1.13.1-2_all.deb (this package actually installs version
> 1.22).
>
> Are these versions adequate for the new tvmaze bindings?  I am
> suspicious of something wrong with urllib3 or requests.  I also have two
> versions of urllib3 installed (one in /usr/lib and one in
> /usr/local/lib).  The one in /usr/local/lib was installed for the TVDB
> API v2 issue and is the one being used by tvmaze.py (somehow).
>
> I upgraded these packages (in /usr/local/lib) using "pip install
> --upgrade <package>" for urllib3, chardet, requests, requests-cache,
> python-dateutil, and future.  Each was successful, yet I get the same
> warnings and error with tvmaze.py.  Has anyone gotten tvmaze.py to work
> with 0.28 or older?  This is on Ubuntu trusty (14.04).

I resolved this issue. Turns out I need a newer version of Python2.7.
Trusty only provided version 2.7.6. I was able to upgrade to version
2.7.12 using the following commands:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:fkrull/deadsnakes-python2.7
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install python2.7

The Python ssl package is built into Python since version 2.6 something
or other, so the only way to get a newer version is to upgrade Python
itself. Luckily, 2.7.12 is new enough.

Jay
Re: Important: Changes to Metadata lookup in March 2021 [ In reply to ]
Jay:
> I resolved this issue. Turns out I need a newer version of Python2.7.
> Trusty only provided version 2.7.6. I was able to upgrade to version
> 2.7.12 using the following commands:
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:fkrull/deadsnakes-python2.7
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install python2.7
>
> The Python ssl package is built into Python since version 2.6 something
> or other, so the only way to get a newer version is to upgrade Python
> itself. Luckily, 2.7.12 is new enough.

I’m going to stick my head out and try to make a suggestion based on
something Roland suggested in my sub-thread. I’m using Ubuntu 18.04 and
Python 2.7.17. Anyway, paraphrasing what Roland said, Ubuntu
pre-installs but not in the active python environment. While upgrading
my system said the dateutil module was installed but the MythTV metadata
wasn’t able to find it (gave an error message).

What worked for me is this (and yes, some beginner level notes):

*Manually install: *

*1. **At Python site download the actual file **(tar.gz)**. [.*D/L to own
subdir ==> Downloads/Python or something to make easier to work with
later*].*

*2. **Extract the file [*within the special subdir OK*].*///Double
click, extract button at upper left./

*3. cd into the first/main level of the extract – verify setup.py is in
there.*

*4**a**. **Open Terminal – pull a first dir level file into Terminal to
obtain path; trim and put ‘cd’ in front – now in that extract.*

*4b. **Now the */sudo python2 ./setup.py install/*(next step).*

Hope that helps

Barry
Re: Important: Changes to Metadata lookup in March 2021 [ In reply to ]
Hoi Barry,

Monday, March 1, 2021, 2:51:44 AM, you wrote:

> Jay:
>

> I resolved this issue. Turns out I need a newer version of Python2.7.
> Trusty only provided version 2.7.6. I was able to upgrade to version
> 2.7.12 using the following commands:

> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:fkrull/deadsnakes-python2.7
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install python2.7

> The Python ssl package is built into Python since version 2.6 something
> or other, so the only way to get a newer version is to upgrade Python
> itself. Luckily, 2.7.12 is new enough.
>

> I’m going to stick my head out and try to make a suggestion
> based on something Roland suggested in my sub-thread. I’m
> using Ubuntu 18.04 and Python 2.7.17. Anyway, paraphrasing
> what Roland said, Ubuntu pre-installs but not in the active
> python environment. While upgrading my system said the
> dateutil module was installed but the MythTV metadata wasn’t
> able to find it (gave an error message).
>
> What worked for me is this (and yes, some beginner level notes):
>

> Manually install:
>
> 1. At Python site download the
> actual file (tar.gz). [.D/L to own subdir ==>
> Downloads/Python or something to make easier to work with later].
>
> 2. Extract the file [within
> the special subdir OK]. Double click, extract button at upper left.
>
> 3. cd into the first/main level of the extract –
> verify setup.py is in there.
>
> 4a. Open Terminal – pull a first dir level file
> into Terminal to obtain path; trim and
> put ‘cd’ in front – now in that extract.
>
> 4b. Now the sudo python2 ./setup.py install (next step).
>
> Hope that helps
>
> Barry

I think the issue here is that somewhere last year officially python2
is deprecated.
Obviously some package builders have taken this as not even checking
at installing a python module on whether the specific system still has
python2. They cannot check on if it is still used, but they should
install on every python variant supported by the package that is
present on the system.
So in general installing python2 modules through a package should be
deemed unreliable. You have to use the methode described above.

Long live the capitalistic thinking that says to replace things on
economic expenditure, not on physical.

Tot mails,
Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven