The Tonight Show which is an hour and it records for 6 hours. This causes
mythcommflag to run for a very long time. I do have the mythtv set up for 5
minutes after the hour and this used to work. How can I debug this?

Re: mythtv recording WAY past the end of the show [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 12:09 PM Scott Simpson <simpson100@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a HDHomeRun Prime (firmware 20200907) recording with mythtv and I
> keep up with the latest releases on Ubuntu. I'm running
> 2:32.0~master.202102091135.9a790b3e91~ubuntu20.04.1. About a month ago,
> mythtv started recording FAR past the end of the show. For example, I tape
> The Tonight Show which is an hour and it records for 6 hours. This causes
> mythcommflag to run for a very long time. I do have the mythtv set up for 5
> minutes after the hour and this used to work. How can I debug this?

There is a thread on the MythTV Devlopment list regarding this - there are
a lot of reports of it. Unfortunately, the development list does not seem
to be archived on the internet. It does not appear to be tuner related,
but it is a verified issue from multiple people.
Re: mythtv recording WAY past the end of the show [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2021-02-10 at 10:06 -0800, Scott Simpson wrote:
> I have a HDHomeRun Prime (firmware 20200907) recording with mythtv
> and I
> keep up with the latest releases on Ubuntu. I'm running
> 2:32.0~master.202102091135.9a790b3e91~ubuntu20.04.1. About a month
> ago,
> mythtv started recording FAR past the end of the show. For example, I
> tape
> The Tonight Show which is an hour and it records for 6 hours. This
> causes
> mythcommflag to run for a very long time. I do have the mythtv set up
> for 5
> minutes after the hour and this used to work. How can I debug this?

Hi Scott,

This appear to be related to my recent set of commits to use the
std::chrono data type, but I am unable to replicate the problem on my
system. There is another email thread going on the mythtv-dev mailing
list about this problem.

Can you tell me what version of Ubuntu you are using and what version
of Qt its running? I have a HDHR3-CC like you, along with a couple of
other HDHR boxes for testing.

Is it all recordings that run too long, or just specific recordings?

Thanks.

David

Re: mythtv recording WAY past the end of the show [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2021-02-10 at 12:26 -0600, Greg Oliver wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 12:09 PM Scott Simpson <simpson100@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I have a HDHomeRun Prime (firmware 20200907) recording with mythtv
> > and I
> > keep up with the latest releases on Ubuntu. I'm running
> > 2:32.0~master.202102091135.9a790b3e91~ubuntu20.04.1. About a month
> > ago,
> > mythtv started recording FAR past the end of the show. For example,
> > I tape
> > The Tonight Show which is an hour and it records for 6 hours. This
> > causes
> > mythcommflag to run for a very long time. I do have the mythtv set
> > up for 5
> > minutes after the hour and this used to work. How can I debug this?
> >

> There is a thread on the MythTV Devlopment list regarding this -
> there are a lot of reports of it.  Unfortunately, the development
> list does not seem to be archived on the internet.  It does not
> appear to be tuner related, but it is a verified issue from multiple
> people.

http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-dev/2021-February/thread.html

David

Re: mythtv recording WAY past the end of the show [ In reply to ]
Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS (Focal Fossa)

Most of my QT libraries show version 5.12.8+dfsg-0ubuntu1. MOST of them
record too long. I don't think it is all of them. I can't make rhyme or
reason on which ones record too long but recording The Late Late Show, The
Tonight Show, and Jimmy Kimmel Live are all an hour and always record 6
hours every night.

If there is any debugging I can turn on in the mythbackend.log file let me
know.

Re: mythtv recording WAY past the end of the show [ In reply to ]
On 10/02/2021 18:26, Greg Oliver wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 12:09 PM Scott Simpson <simpson100@gmail.com
> <mailto:simpson100@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> I have a HDHomeRun Prime (firmware 20200907) recording with mythtv and I
> keep up with the latest releases on Ubuntu. I'm running
> 2:32.0~master.202102091135.9a790b3e91~ubuntu20.04.1. About a month ago,
> mythtv started recording FAR past the end of the show. For example,
> I tape
> The Tonight Show which is an hour and it records for 6 hours. This
> causes
> mythcommflag to run for a very long time. I do have the mythtv set
> up for 5
> minutes after the hour and this used to work. How can I debug this?
>

> There is a thread on the MythTV Devlopment list regarding this - there
> are a lot of reports of it.  Unfortunately, the development list does
> not seem to be archived on the internet.  It does not appear to be tuner
> related, but it is a verified issue from multiple people.

The official archive is here:

http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-dev/2021-February/subject.html

There's also a searchable archive (probably not needed for this problem) at:

https://lists.archive.carbon60.com/mythtv/dev/

and the reports on the dev list are all from very recent commits; your
report of 'a month ago' puts it in a new light.

John P
Re: mythtv recording WAY past the end of the show [ In reply to ]
It is *at least* the last couple of weeks. Don't quote me on a month. But it IS NOT from the last few days.

Re: mythtv recording WAY past the end of the show [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2021-02-10 at 10:38 -0800, Scott Simpson wrote:
> Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS (Focal Fossa)
>
> Most of my QT libraries show version 5.12.8+dfsg-0ubuntu1. MOST of
> them
> record too long. I don't think it is all of them. I can't make rhyme
> or
> reason on which ones record too long but recording The Late Late
> Show, The
> Tonight Show, and Jimmy Kimmel Live are all an hour and always record
> 6
> hours every night.

LOL. I also record the first two, but record Corden instead of Kimmel.

So two of those three recordings cross midnight, and the third doesn't.
Are the recordings always 6 hours instead of one? Are your recordings
set to start early/run late, or do they start/end on time? I.E. are the
recordings supposed to record for 60 minutes, or for 2+60+2 like mine.
If you have pre/post overrun, is that reflected in the overlong
recordings? I.E. is the actual recording 6*60=360, or 2+(6*60)+2=364,
or 6*(2+60+2)=384. Just trying to find a pattern.

> If there is any debugging I can turn on in the mythbackend.log file
> let me know.

Not sure yet. Will let you know.

Can you try running 'mythbackend --printsched' on you backend system
and post the output. You don't have to stop the running backend. This
will run a second copy that dumps the scheduling info and then quits.
That might help figure out if the problem is in the scheduling of
recordings, or the act of recording. Feel free to mail directly to me
(mythtv @ love2code.net) if you don't want to post.

Thanks.

David