the individual sources.

I found today that even though one channel  was invisible on an input, MythTV was choosing to select that channel for live TV.

Now, I can override the source in MythTV, but that switches to the default channel on that source. When I try to select the
channel in question, it switches back to the wrong source.

I was only able to disable the wrong source, and select the channel on the correct source by deleting the channel on the wrong
source. This won't work in the long run, because it will just be re-enabled when I scan channels again.

I will have to manually lower the priority of the wrong source channels, but I can't to that with mythweb, so I will have to
suffer the horrible channel editor in mythTV backend setup.

Re: Turning off visibility does not disable a channel. [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Feb 07, 2021 at 03:31:38PM -0800, Douglas Peale wrote:
> I have three antennas aimed in three different directions. I was turning off visibility of the channels coming off axis (behind)
> the individual sources.
>
> I found today that even though one channel? was invisible on an input, MythTV was choosing to select that channel for live TV.
>
> Now, I can override the source in MythTV, but that switches to the default channel on that source. When I try to select the
> channel in question, it switches back to the wrong source.
>
> I was only able to disable the wrong source, and select the channel on the correct source by deleting the channel on the wrong
> source. This won't work in the long run, because it will just be re-enabled when I scan channels again.
>
> I will have to manually lower the priority of the wrong source channels, but I can't to that with mythweb, so I will have to
> suffer the horrible channel editor in mythTV backend setup.

Invisible channels should not be used. Please file a bug report with
the exact steps you took to show the bug.

David
--
David Engel
david@istwok.net
Re: Turning off visibility does not disable a channel. [ In reply to ]
On 2/7/21 3:31 PM, Douglas Peale wrote:
> I have three antennas aimed in three different directions. I was turning off visibility of the channels coming off axis (behind)
> the individual sources.
>
> I found today that even though one channel  was invisible on an input, MythTV was choosing to select that channel for live TV.
>
> Now, I can override the source in MythTV, but that switches to the default channel on that source. When I try to select the
> channel in question, it switches back to the wrong source.
>
> I was only able to disable the wrong source, and select the channel on the correct source by deleting the channel on the wrong
> source. This won't work in the long run, because it will just be re-enabled when I scan channels again.
>
> I will have to manually lower the priority of the wrong source channels, but I can't to that with mythweb, so I will have to
> suffer the horrible channel editor in mythTV backend setup.

I have observed the same issue (mythtv 0.28).  The channel's visibility
apparently does not affect live TV, only scheduled recordings.  Note
that scheduled recordings will choose a tuner (input) that has the
desired channel visible (enabled), but live TV does not appear to
automatically choose (change) tuners.  You must manually change tuners
in live TV (Y key I think).

Jay

Re: Turning off visibility does not disable a channel. [ In reply to ]
Douglas Peale <Douglas_Peale@Comcast.net> wrote:

> I was only able to disable the wrong source, and select the channel on the correct source by deleting the channel on the wrong
> source. This won't work in the long run, because it will just be re-enabled when I scan channels again.
>
> I will have to manually lower the priority of the wrong source channels, but I can't to that with mythweb, so I will have to
> suffer the horrible channel editor in mythTV backend setup.

Script it ! General rule of thumb - if you are going to be doing it several times, then automate it (unless automation would be very "expensive" compared to doing it by hand).

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_editing_script

Hmm, I need to find time to update that page, a few details have changed. Anyway, just edit it to fit your needs.

It takes time maintaining the script, but less than manually fiddling with channels every time you do anything. Once yours script is setup, you can rescan as often as you like, and just check for any new channels that have appeared and which will need adding. Most of the work is in finding (e.g.) the XML TV channel ID for fetching listings - which you'd have to do anyway if you were manually editing things.

Simon