Mailing List Archive

recording groups and categories
Hi,

I do not really understand the difference between recording groups and
categories.

Categories are given by myhttv and groups are created by the user.

But I see that categories do not work very well, so I created my own
groups. Maybe categories work fine in english, but I use mythtv in
german and I have only german recordings.

Is there a way to manage categories (rename, create, delete and so on) ?

Now I have some entries (for example "Science Fiction") in groups and in
categories, that's a pity.

I searched in the mythtv wiki, but I could not find the answer to my
questions.

sincerely

Klaus
Re: recording groups and categories [ In reply to ]
On 12/25/20 1:01 PM, Klaus Becker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I do not really understand the difference between recording groups and
> categories.
>
> Categories are given by myhttv and groups are created by the user.
>
> But I see that categories do not work very well, so I created my own
> groups. Maybe categories work fine in english, but I use mythtv in
> german and I have only german recordings.
>
> Is there a way to manage categories (rename, create, delete and so on) ?
>
> Now I have some entries (for example "Science Fiction") in groups and
> in categories, that's a pity.
>
> I searched in the mythtv wiki, but I could not find the answer to my
> questions.
>
> sincerely
>
> Klaus

You set up your own recording groups, however you want. Most people set
up recording groups for who wants to watch, for example a recording
group for children, one for wife, etc. You can specify a recording group
in the recording rule, and those recordings go into that group. If you
do not specify a group, all recordings go into "Default". You can also
change recordings already made to a different group using the menu.

There is a special recording group for Live TV and another special
recording group for deleted shows.

Catregories are set by the listings service, so you have no control over
them. If the listing service decides a show is "Crime Drama" that is
what you will see, even if you think it is actually comedy.

Peter

Re: recording groups and categories [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 25 Dec 2020 at 18:02, Klaus Becker <colonius47@gmail.com> wrote:

> But I see that categories do not work very well, so I created my own
> groups. Maybe categories work fine in english, but I use mythtv in
> german and I have only german recordings.
>
> Is there a way to manage categories (rename, create, delete and so on) ?

How are you getting your listings? Are you using XMLTV?

If so, some grabbers (like tv_grab_uk_tvguide) have built in category
mapping. If your grabber does not have such a feature and you're using
XMLTV, maybe tv_augment might be of use?

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/man1/tv_augment.1p.html
https://github.com/XMLTV/xmltv/blob/master/filter/augment/augment.rules

You could also see if xmlstarlet is available in your distro repo and
postprocess your XML with that.

http://xmlstar.sourceforge.net/docs.php
http://xmlstar.sourceforge.net/doc/xmlstarlet.pdf

Cheers, Ian
Re: recording groups and categories [ In reply to ]
Le 25/12/2020 à 20:41, Peter Bennett a écrit :

> On 12/25/20 1:01 PM, Klaus Becker wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I do not really understand the difference between recording groups and
>> categories.
>>
>> Categories are given by myhttv and groups are created by the user.
>>
>> But I see that categories do not work very well, so I created my own
>> groups. Maybe categories work fine in english, but I use mythtv in
>> german and I have only german recordings.
>>
>> Is there a way to manage categories (rename, create, delete and so on) ?
>>
>> Now I have some entries (for example "Science Fiction") in groups and
>> in categories, that's a pity.
>>
>> I searched in the mythtv wiki, but I could not find the answer to my
>> questions.
>>
>> sincerely
>>
>> Klaus
>>
> You set up your own recording groups, however you want. Most people set
> up recording groups for who wants to watch, for example a recording
> group for children, one for wife, etc.

Yes, I created a recording group for my daughter, and "standard" is for
my. But later I created recording groups for me, like "Western",
"Science Fiction" and so on. It gives me a better overview about
recordings for me.

You can specify a recording group
> in the recording rule, and those recordings go into that group. If you
> do not specify a group, all recordings go into "Default". You can also
> change recordings already made to a different group using the menu.
>
> There is a special recording group for Live TV and another special
> recording group for deleted shows.
>
> Catregories are set by the listings service, so you have no control over
> them. If the listing service decides a show is "Crime Drama" that is
> what you will see, even if you think it is actually comedy.

Ok, I understand. I would like to delete these automatic recording
groups, but obviously I have to deal with it.

> Peter

Thanks for your answer

Klaus
Re: recording groups and categories [ In reply to ]
On 12/26/2020 11:55 AM, Klaus Becker wrote:
> Le 25/12/2020 à 20:41, Peter Bennett a écrit :
>>
>> Catregories are set by the listings service, so you have no control
>> over them. If the listing service decides a show is "Crime Drama"
>> that is what you will see, even if you think it is actually comedy.
>
> Ok, I understand. I would like to delete these automatic recording
> groups, but obviously I have to deal with it.
You can toggle whether categories are displayed or not displayed in the
Watch Recordings page with Change Group View from the menu. Then you
only see the categories listed if you select Change Group Filter (and
there they're only shown after your user-specified recording groups, so
not too intrusive).

Mike
Re: recording groups and categories [ In reply to ]
Le 28/12/2020 à 14:07, Michael T. Dean a écrit :
> On 12/26/2020 11:55 AM, Klaus Becker wrote:
>> Le 25/12/2020 à 20:41, Peter Bennett a écrit :
>>>
>>> Catregories are set by the listings service, so you have no control
>>> over them. If the listing service decides a show is "Crime Drama"
>>> that is what you will see, even if you think it is actually comedy.
>>
>> Ok, I understand. I would like to delete these automatic recording
>> groups, but obviously I have to deal with it.
> You can toggle whether categories are displayed or not displayed in the
> Watch Recordings page with Change Group View from the menu. Then you
> only see the categories listed if you select Change Group Filter (and
> there they're only shown after your user-specified recording groups, so
> not too intrusive).
>
> Mike

Hi Mike,

I tried it. Unfortunately it works only in the Watch Recordings page,
but not in the Group Filter Page.

When I select "Change Group Filter", I want to see my recordings and to
which category they belong.

thanks anyway

Klaus
Re: recording groups and categories [ In reply to ]
On 12/28/20 2:20 PM, Klaus Becker wrote:
> Le 28/12/2020 à 14:07, Michael T. Dean a écrit :

>>> Ok, I understand. I would like to delete these automatic recording
>>> groups, but obviously I have to deal with it.
>> You can toggle whether categories are displayed or not displayed in
>> the Watch Recordings page with Change Group View from the menu. Then
>> you only see the categories listed if you select Change Group Filter
>> (and there they're only shown after your user-specified recording
>> groups, so not too intrusive).
>>
>> Mike
>

> Hi Mike,
>
> I tried it. Unfortunately it works only in the Watch Recordings page,
> but not in the Group Filter Page.
>
> When I select "Change Group Filter", I want to see my recordings and
> to which category they belong.
>
> thanks anyway
>
> Klaus

First change your group filter to All so that it shows all groups.

In the watch recordings page, select menu (M) and "Change Group View".
You can disable all check boxes except "Show Program Categories" Then
you only see a list of categories on the left and the programs in the
selected category on the right. Is that what you are looking for? Or you
can  uncheck program categories and check recording groups to see only
the groups.

Re: recording groups and categories [ In reply to ]
Le 28/12/2020 à 21:10, Peter Bennett a écrit :

> First change your group filter to All so that it shows all groups.
>
> In the watch recordings page, select menu (M) and "Change Group View".
> You can disable all check boxes except "Show Program Categories" Then
> you only see a list of categories on the left and the programs in the
> selected category on the right.

That's what I already have.

Is that what you are looking for? Or you
> can  uncheck program categories and check recording groups to see only
> the groups.

Hi,

no, I want to see only groups, but not categories, in the screen that is
shown when I select menu (M) and "Change Group".

I am only speaking about the screen aalowing to choose a group, not
about the list of recordings I see after closing the menu. This seems
not to be possible without modifying data base, which is not simple.

I hope I explained it well.

bye

Klaus