Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS
Hey all,

I figured I'd ask here because the main goals of updating my server from CentOS 6 to --- well, no longer CentOS 8 since it's no longer going to be what CentOS was...

I'm wondering who is using what for their home servers for MythTV (and Plex) on the same box.

I also use desktop apps on this same system as well as run some VirtualBox VMs (Windows and Raspbian)

So with that -- I'd like to hear from the group what people have been happy with that's LTS-ish like CentOS was.

Thanks,

 -Ben

Re: Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS [ In reply to ]
On 12/14/20 3:24 AM, Ben wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I figured I'd ask here because the main goals of updating my server
> from CentOS 6 to --- well, no longer CentOS 8 since it's no longer
> going to be what CentOS was...
>
> I'm wondering who is using what for their home servers for MythTV (and
> Plex) on the same box.
>
> I also use desktop apps on this same system as well as run some
> VirtualBox VMs (Windows and Raspbian)
>
> So with that -- I'd like to hear from the group what people have been
> happy with that's LTS-ish like CentOS was.
>
> Thanks,
>
>  -Ben

My observation as a use of Mythtv is that the main work is done on
Ubuntu because that seems to be the easiest to install and most
everything else seems to be based off of that. But that's just my
observation.

I've been using Mythtv since I installed it using Mythbuntu 14. Now I'm
on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS with v31 Mythtv. The PC that is my backend is also
used as a samba/cifs NAS for the whole house, but that is all it does.
It's 10 year old PC with RAID storage plus a boot SSD.

My frontends are FireTVs or Nvidia Shield TVs but all my PCs and Laptops
can run some form of frontend.

I'm happy with that set.

If I needed to change, I'd replace the backend with a RPI 4 4GB with
HDHomerun quatro and get a dedicated brand name NAS with RAID.

Jim A

Re: Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS [ In reply to ]
On 14/12/2020 08:24, Ben wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I figured I'd ask here because the main goals of updating my server from
> CentOS 6 to --- well, no longer CentOS 8 since it's no longer going to
> be what CentOS was...

The most popular distro of choice by a long way is Ubuntu.

Regards
Stuart
Re: Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS [ In reply to ]
> On 14 Dec 2020, at 7:59 pm, Stuart Auchterlonie <stuarta@squashedfrog.net> wrote:
>
> On 14/12/2020 08:24, Ben wrote:
>> Hey all,
>> I figured I'd ask here because the main goals of updating my server from CentOS 6 to --- well, no longer CentOS 8 since it's no longer going to be what CentOS was...
>
> The most popular distro of choice by a long way is Ubuntu.
That's a self forfilling professy (It works well - so everyone uses it - so it is well supported - so it works well ...)

Most distros are becoming a pain (you want to see the wifi password, well up yours I'm king and if you are too disabled to type without reviewing then TOUGH. You may be alone in your own home but WE decree that to be a security risk ...)
but ubuntu is no worse than others and the ansible build support is excelent if you choose to build rather than accept someone else's meandering muddling.

The CentOS debacle is ...

Debian et all (including ubuntu) have a very useful feature in 'apt-file'
James
Re: Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Dec 14, 2020, 6:42 AM Stuart Auchterlonie <stuarta@squashedfrog.net>
wrote:

> On 14/12/2020 08:24, Ben wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I figured I'd ask here because the main goals of updating my server from
> > CentOS 6 to --- well, no longer CentOS 8 since it's no longer going to
> > be what CentOS was...
>
> The most popular distro of choice by a long way is Ubuntu.
>

> Regards
> Stuart

+1 I'm a long time Centos user but have always used Ubuntu for Mythtv since
it was the most used, rolling updates/releases have worked well for me.

Re: Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 2:26 AM Ben <bkamen@benjammin.net> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I figured I'd ask here because the main goals of updating my server from
> CentOS 6 to --- well, no longer CentOS 8 since it's no longer going to be
> what CentOS was...
>
> I'm wondering who is using what for their home servers for MythTV (and
> Plex) on the same box.
>
> I also use desktop apps on this same system as well as run some VirtualBox
> VMs (Windows and Raspbian)
>
> So with that -- I'd like to hear from the group what people have been
> happy with that's LTS-ish like CentOS was.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Ben

The owner of our company asked me this just last Friday. CentOS Stream is
obviously what you are referring to as well. Just do not use Stream. Grab
the non-Stream ISO. Fedora used to be the pre-cursor testing platform for
RHEL and now that they bought CentOS, (I guess) maybe they want to utilize
the CentOS engineering expertise for their future releases rather than let
them keep cloning for no reason. It will be interesting how this shakes
out because Fedora is bleeding edge like Ubuntu. I would *never* run
either variant on a production server, but the CentOS Stream is less
bleeding edge, but more of a rolling upgrade system. Makes me wonder is
RHEL is headed that way like Arch Linux, Gentoo, etc. It is a *way* better
model if you do not have your own kernel drivers, etc involved. I hope
RHEL moves to this model, because as well all know with the distros that
use fixed kernel bases for *years* on a release, only the users suffer.
The stability is great, but the features never come unless you kernel bump
anyway. Lokk at this lists threads of people having to enable kernel repos
to compile MythTV alone :)

Anyway, I think Fedora will still be the baseline for the kernel and
hopefully Stream will be the moving package repo (hopefully). Noone really
knows from the vague reports. RHEL has actually not released anything to
confirm these suspicions yet :)

-Greg
Re: Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 2:25 AM Ben <bkamen@benjammin.net> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I figured I'd ask here because the main goals of updating my server from
> CentOS 6 to --- well, no longer CentOS 8 since it's no longer going to be
> what CentOS was...
>
> I'm wondering who is using what for their home servers for MythTV (and
> Plex) on the same box.
>
> I also use desktop apps on this same system as well as run some VirtualBox
> VMs (Windows and Raspbian)
>
> So with that -- I'd like to hear from the group what people have been
> happy with that's LTS-ish like CentOS was.

I don't run MythTV on it (frontend or backend) but I have a CentOS 8 box I
had already converted to running CentOS Stream. I actually like the more
frequent updates and haven't had any issues with what I run on it
(BackupPC, MineOS, Unifi Controller).

I say that to contrast with the fact I've actually run my combined FE/BE on
Fedora for 10+ years and while upgrades USED to be a pain I have had almost
zero issues over the last several releases. In fact the only problem I have
right now is an update or upgrade messed up my LIRC config I use with a
hardware serial port receiver. I haven't bothered to fix it since we rarely
use the FE anymore except for live TV and instead use Plex on Roku.

Thanks,
Richard
Re: Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS [ In reply to ]
If what CentOS offered you is what you want, i.e. a production OS that
tracked RHEL, you could wait until Rocky Linux is out:

https://www.theregister.com/2020/12/10/rocky_linux/

This is a new distro which will track RHEL as CentOS did and has been
started by the CentOS founder. Although there's no proper ETA yet, it
should be available well before the end of the year and likely around
midway through.
Re: Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS [ In reply to ]
I've had great luck with OpenSuse.  YMMV.  I don't think the releases
last quite as long as CentOS, but upgrading stable versions can be done
on the fly.

Re: Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS [ In reply to ]
> On 15 Dec 2020, at 5:33 am, Jeremy D. Eiden <theonlyrealperson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've had great luck with OpenSuse. YMMV. I don't think the releases last quite as long as CentOS, but upgrading stable versions can be done on the fly.
>
> On 12/14/20 2:24 AM, Ben wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I figured I'd ask here because the main goals of updating my server from CentOS 6 to --- well, no longer CentOS 8 since it's no longer going to be what CentOS was...
>>
>> I'm wondering who is using what for their home servers for MythTV (and Plex) on the same box.
>>
>> I also use desktop apps on this same system as well as run some VirtualBox VMs (Windows and Raspbian)
>>
>> So with that -- I'd like to hear from the group what people have been happy with that's LTS-ish like CentOS was.

I use openSuSE as my main backend and on various frontends, I like it and their philosophy but it is much more tricky to get setup. EG if you are going to get packages from pacman then mythweb does/did not work.
If you are at all naive about unix or building or myth setup then ubuntu holds your hand, but you are out of luck if you don't like chocolate flavour, that's all they do.
James
Re: Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS [ In reply to ]
>On Monday, December 14, 2020, 03:24:54 AM EST, Ben <bkamen@benjammin.net> wrote:
>I'm wondering who is using what for their home servers for MythTV (and Plex) on the same box.

On my combined frontend + backend, I installed Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, Mythbuntu Control Panel, and then installed MythTV.

Ted

Re: Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS [ In reply to ]
On 12/14/20 7:23 PM, Ted L wrote:
>> On Monday, December 14, 2020, 03:24:54 AM EST, Ben <bkamen@benjammin.net> wrote:
>> I'm wondering who is using what for their home servers for MythTV (and Plex) on the same box.
> On my combined frontend + backend, I installed Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, Mythbuntu Control Panel, and then installed MythTV.

Yea - I've been leaning to Ubuntu....

Most just wondering if there's another solid LTS release out there besides it.

 -Ben
Re: Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS [ In reply to ]
> The owner of our company asked me this just last Friday. CentOS Stream is
> obviously what you are referring to as well.
Yep.
> Just do not use Stream. Grab the non-Stream ISO.

But they're killing it, no?

> Fedora used to be the pre-cursor testing platform for
> RHEL and now that they bought CentOS, (I guess) maybe they want to utilize
> the CentOS engineering expertise for their future releases rather than let
> them keep cloning for no reason. It will be interesting how this shakes
> out

Indeed... lots of peeps aren't thrilled.

> I would *never* run
> either variant on a production server, but the CentOS Stream is less
> bleeding edge, but more of a rolling upgrade system. Makes me wonder is
> RHEL is headed that way like Arch Linux, Gentoo, etc. It is a *way* better
> model if you do not have your own kernel drivers, etc involved. I hope
> RHEL moves to this model, because as well all know with the distros that
> use fixed kernel bases for *years* on a release, only the users suffer.
> The stability is great, but the features never come unless you kernel bump
> anyway. Lokk at this lists threads of people having to enable kernel repos
> to compile MythTV alone :)
>
> Anyway, I think Fedora will still be the baseline for the kernel and
> hopefully Stream will be the moving package repo (hopefully). Noone really
> knows from the vague reports. RHEL has actually not released anything to
> confirm these suspicions yet :)
>
> -Greg

Yea - I guess I have time to play and maybe see what works out by then. (shrug)

 -Ben
Re: Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS [ In reply to ]
> If what CentOS offered you is what you want, i.e. a production OS that
> tracked RHEL, you could wait until Rocky Linux is out:
>
> https://www.theregister.com/2020/12/10/rocky_linux/ <https://www.theregister.com/2020/12/10/rocky_linux/>
>
> This is a new distro which will track RHEL as CentOS did and has been
> started by the CentOS founder. Although there's no proper ETA yet, it
> should be available well before the end of the year and likely around
> midway through.

Yep - Looked at this too.

-Ben
Re: Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS [ In reply to ]
> On 15 Dec 2020, at 9:29 am, Ben <bkamen@benjammin.net> wrote:
>
>>> On Monday, December 14, 2020, 03:24:54 AM EST, Ben <bkamen@benjammin.net> wrote:
>>> I'm wondering who is using what for their home servers for MythTV (and Plex) on the same box.
>> On my combined frontend + backend, I installed Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, Mythbuntu Control Panel, and then installed MythTV.
>>
> Yea - I've been leaning to Ubuntu....
>
> Most just wondering if there's another solid LTS release out there besides it.

Ben <smile> your question gives the answer. Use ubuntu, I found xubuntu good for front and backend.
The answer is ‘There are’ but asking the question says that the answer will be too/very hard for you to do.
James
Re: Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS [ In reply to ]
On 12/14/20 4:44 PM, James Linder wrote:

>> On 15 Dec 2020, at 5:33 am, Jeremy D. Eiden <theonlyrealperson@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've had great luck with OpenSuse. YMMV. I don't think the releases last quite as long as CentOS, but upgrading stable versions can be done on the fly.
>>
>> On 12/14/20 2:24 AM, Ben wrote:
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> I figured I'd ask here because the main goals of updating my server from CentOS 6 to --- well, no longer CentOS 8 since it's no longer going to be what CentOS was...
>>>
>>> I'm wondering who is using what for their home servers for MythTV (and Plex) on the same box.
>>>
>>> I also use desktop apps on this same system as well as run some VirtualBox VMs (Windows and Raspbian)
>>>
>>> So with that -- I'd like to hear from the group what people have been happy with that's LTS-ish like CentOS was.
> I use openSuSE as my main backend and on various frontends, I like it and their philosophy but it is much more tricky to get setup. EG if you are going to get packages from pacman then mythweb does/did not work.
> If you are at all naive about unix or building or myth setup then ubuntu holds your hand, but you are out of luck if you don't like chocolate flavour, that's all they do.
> James

I don't disagree with that, there is some tinkering you need to do to
use Packman's myth builds.  Not only mythweb, but also getting the
database to network if you have a remote backend.

It's not a lot of tinkering, but there is some. YAST makes it easier to
get it to work if you don't like digging through config files.

I guess I've been running OpenSuse for so long I forgot things I had to
do like that.

Jeremy

Re: Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Dec 14, 2020, at 03:24, Ben wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I figured I'd ask here because the main goals of updating my server
> from CentOS 6 to --- well, no longer CentOS 8 since it's no longer
> going to be what CentOS was...
>
> I'm wondering who is using what for their home servers for MythTV (and
> Plex) on the same box.
>
> I also use desktop apps on this same system as well as run some
> VirtualBox VMs (Windows and Raspbian)
>
> So with that -- I'd like to hear from the group what people have been
> happy with that's LTS-ish like CentOS was.

To be honest, I'm a little surprised CentOS wasn't a huge pain in the neck for a MythTV server, given the age of the components.

I'd use (and do) Ubuntu LTS. I'll admit that I'm currently on a still-supported MythBuntu 16.04 (support ends next year), and I'm somewhat dreading going jumping to Ubuntu proper, but just because of the work involved, not because I don't think it will work.

--
Ryan Novosielski
ryan@novosielski.com
Re: Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS [ In reply to ]
> On 15 Dec 2020, at 1:03 pm, Ryan Novosielski <ryan@novosielski.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2020, at 03:24, Ben wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I figured I'd ask here because the main goals of updating my server
>> from CentOS 6 to --- well, no longer CentOS 8 since it's no longer
>> going to be what CentOS was...
>>
>> I'm wondering who is using what for their home servers for MythTV (and
>> Plex) on the same box.
>>
>> I also use desktop apps on this same system as well as run some
>> VirtualBox VMs (Windows and Raspbian)
>>
>> So with that -- I'd like to hear from the group what people have been
>> happy with that's LTS-ish like CentOS was.
>
> To be honest, I'm a little surprised CentOS wasn't a huge pain in the neck for a MythTV server, given the age of the components.
>
> I'd use (and do) Ubuntu LTS. I'll admit that I'm currently on a still-supported MythBuntu 16.04 (support ends next year), and I'm somewhat dreading going jumping to Ubuntu proper, but just because of the work involved, not because I don't think it will work.

Actually Ryan I install LTS xubuntu, use ansible to build fixes/31 and have a working system within the hour. I admit to using m2-ssd (that makes a huge speed difference) and that I've done this before but your dread is not warranted.
James
Re: Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Dec 15, 2020, at 00:24, James Linder wrote:

> > On 15 Dec 2020, at 1:03 pm, Ryan Novosielski <ryan@novosielski.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 14, 2020, at 03:24, Ben wrote:
> >> Hey all,
> >>
> >> I figured I'd ask here because the main goals of updating my server
> >> from CentOS 6 to --- well, no longer CentOS 8 since it's no longer
> >> going to be what CentOS was...
> >>
> >> I'm wondering who is using what for their home servers for MythTV (and
> >> Plex) on the same box.
> >>
> >> I also use desktop apps on this same system as well as run some
> >> VirtualBox VMs (Windows and Raspbian)
> >>
> >> So with that -- I'd like to hear from the group what people have been
> >> happy with that's LTS-ish like CentOS was.
> >
> > To be honest, I'm a little surprised CentOS wasn't a huge pain in the neck for a MythTV server, given the age of the components.
> >
> > I'd use (and do) Ubuntu LTS. I'll admit that I'm currently on a still-supported MythBuntu 16.04 (support ends next year), and I'm somewhat dreading going jumping to Ubuntu proper, but just because of the work involved, not because I don't think it will work.
>
> Actually Ryan I install LTS xubuntu, use ansible to build fixes/31 and
> have a working system within the hour. I admit to using m2-ssd (that
> makes a huge speed difference) and that I've done this before but your
> dread is not warranted.

Yeah, I'm not really that worried about it, but it's always something. The last time I upgraded, my video card was dropped from all of the easily-available NVIDIA drivers (was probably time to upgrade anyway, and I bought a reasonably-priced GT710). The time before that, the LIRC I2C driver went away and the way to get that back was to either figure out the devinput method or patch LIRC. I did the latter the first time, and the former this time. This time, (I'm on 0.29) it appears as if something is wrong with my install where input groups don't work, and my PVR-350 records at a very low volume (I have sort of a kludgey sometimes works/sometimes not fix for that). Probably the perils of using relatively old (free) hardware, like the Dell OptiPlex 745 I have for a backend.

--
Ryan Novosielski
ryan@novosielski.com
Re: Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS [ In reply to ]
On 15/12/2020 13:03, Ryan Novosielski wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2020, at 03:24, Ben wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I figured I'd ask here because the main goals of updating my server
>> from CentOS 6 to --- well, no longer CentOS 8 since it's no longer
>> going to be what CentOS was...
>>
>> I'm wondering who is using what for their home servers for MythTV (and
>> Plex) on the same box.
>>
> To be honest, I'm a little surprised CentOS wasn't a huge pain in the neck for a MythTV server, given the age of the components.
>
> I'd use (and do) Ubuntu LTS. I'll admit that I'm currently on a still-supported MythBuntu 16.04 (support ends next year), and I'm somewhat dreading going jumping to Ubuntu proper, but just because of the work involved, not because I don't think it will work.

G'day,

I use Debian, but I have a dedicated fe/be box, mariadb on another server.

I don't bother to update it so it has a long LTS :-)
I only recently moved house and threw the old Guts away and started with
a new MB etc preserving the disks and recorded shows.
I also run TBS tuners so updating is a pain.

--
'ooroo

Stinga...(:)-)
Email: stinga+mythtv@wolf-rock.com o
You need only two tools. o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it /@ `\ /) ~
doesn't move and it should use > (O) X< ~ Fish!!
the hammer. If it moves and `\___/' \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape. \\\
Re: Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS [ In reply to ]
Ben wrote on 14/12/20 6:24 pm:
> Hey all,
>
> I figured I'd ask here because the main goals of updating my server
> from CentOS 6 to --- well, no longer CentOS 8 since it's no longer
> going to be what CentOS was...
>
> I'm wondering who is using what for their home servers for MythTV (and
> Plex) on the same box.
>
> I also use desktop apps on this same system as well as run some
> VirtualBox VMs (Windows and Raspbian)
>
> So with that -- I'd like to hear from the group what people have been
> happy with that's LTS-ish like CentOS was.

I recently installed Linux Mint 20 (MATE) for combined frontend/backend
for someone. Myth 31 was in the package manager; installation was
reasonably straightforward. Mint is based on the LTS version of Ubuntu,
if I recall correctly.

--

Bob Long

Re: Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 00:57:04 -0500, you wrote:

>On Tue, Dec 15, 2020, at 00:24, James Linder wrote:

>> > To be honest, I'm a little surprised CentOS wasn't a huge pain in the neck for a MythTV server, given the age of the components.
>> >
>> > I'd use (and do) Ubuntu LTS. I'll admit that I'm currently on a still-supported MythBuntu 16.04 (support ends next year), and I'm somewhat dreading going jumping to Ubuntu proper, but just because of the work involved, not because I don't think it will work.
>>
>> Actually Ryan I install LTS xubuntu, use ansible to build fixes/31 and
>> have a working system within the hour. I admit to using m2-ssd (that
>> makes a huge speed difference) and that I've done this before but your
>> dread is not warranted.
>
>Yeah, I'm not really that worried about it, but it's always something. The last time I upgraded, my video card was dropped from all of the easily-available NVIDIA drivers (was probably time to upgrade anyway, and I bought a reasonably-priced GT710). The time before that, the LIRC I2C driver went away and the way to get that back was to either figure out the devinput method or patch LIRC. I did the latter the first time, and the former this time. This time, (I'm on 0.29) it appears as if something is wrong with my install where input groups don't work, and my PVR-350 records at a very low volume (I have sort of a kludgey sometimes works/sometimes not fix for that). Probably the perils of using relatively old (free) hardware, like the Dell OptiPlex 745 I have for a backend.

The PVR-350 is probably like my PVR-500 cards. Later versions of the
PVR-500 drivers made it default to having lots of different inputs
turned on so I had to make a script to set the card up that was run
from the event that happens at the start of a recording:

root@mypvr:/usr/local/bin# cat ivtv_audio_fix.sh
#!/bin/sh

# Workaround for bug which causes audio distortion on some recordings.
# From http://urlgrey.net/?p=231

sleep 3

if [ $# -eq 0 ]; then
device=/dev/video0
else
device=$1
fi

# First, set the audio input in turn to each of the unwanted audio
inputs.
# This only became necessary as of Mythbuntu 12.04.
v4l2-ctl -d$device --set-audio-input=2
v4l2-ctl -d$device --set-audio-input=0

# Next, also set the tuner frequency. This also seems to be necessary
# since Mythbuntu 12.04 to suppress a slightly different audio
distortion.
# The frequency should be for an unused part of the spectrum, as the
unwanted
# audio is coming from whatever the TV tuner is tuned to.
v4l2-ctl -d$device -f 420

# Reset the audio input to source 1 (the wanted input).
v4l2-ctl -d$device --set-audio-input=1

That script is downloadable from my web server:

http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/ivtv_audio_fix.sh

That was a while ago now, and I have not been using my PVR-500s for
several years - they are living in their boxes now, not a PC.

If you are on 18.04, then when you upgrade to 20.04 you will find that
the LIRC package still installs it wrongly - you need to run my fix
script:

http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/lirc-ubuntu-20.04-install.sh

and probably check the configuration to make sure nothing was
overwritten.
Re: Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS [ In reply to ]
Ben <bkamen@benjammin.net> wrote:

> I'm wondering who is using what for their home servers for MythTV (and Plex) on the same box.

Can't speak for the non-Myth stuff, but my backend and frontends all run Devuan now - what Debian would be if they'd not succumbed to the dark side of systemd.

Simon

Re: Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS [ In reply to ]
On 15/12/2020 18:05, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Ben <bkamen@benjammin.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm wondering who is using what for their home servers for MythTV (and Plex) on the same box.
>
> Can't speak for the non-Myth stuff, but my backend and frontends all run Devuan now - what Debian would be if they'd not succumbed to the dark side of systemd.

I have tried Devuan and it would indeed, be suitable for myth front and backends.

However...

Despite telling you during installation that "everything is your choice" the default install desktop
is effectively forced to be xfce, whereas I prefer LXDE.

The "debootstrap" code was seriously borked when I tried it, and you could not install the same
version in, for example, a VM as the version you were running, only the 'next' version. WTF? That
killed using it for a KVM server stone dead.

As I also run LTSP here, and debootstrap is used for the clients, that was a no-no too. I understand
that the 'new' version of LTSP will work properly, haven't tried that on Devuan lately.

YMMV...

--

Mike Perkins

Re: Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS [ In reply to ]
On 2020-12-15 2:39 a.m., Bob Long wrote:
> Ben wrote on 14/12/20 6:24 pm:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I figured I'd ask here because the main goals of updating my server
>> from CentOS 6 to --- well, no longer CentOS 8 since it's no longer
>> going to be what CentOS was...
>>
>> I'm wondering who is using what for their home servers for MythTV (and
>> Plex) on the same box.
>>
>> I also use desktop apps on this same system as well as run some
>> VirtualBox VMs (Windows and Raspbian)
>>
>> So with that -- I'd like to hear from the group what people have been
>> happy with that's LTS-ish like CentOS was.

I have been running mythtv on Fedora since Fedora 4. Until myth v.28 I
had always compiled from master as originally there were no good repos,
and then because it was easier for testing the imon kernel module (I was
an alpha level tester: code by Jarrod Wilson).
As a bit of a lark, I tried rpmfusion at v28. No problems (only a slight
loss of flexibility in removing extensions I did not want: slight size
increase as a result but irrelevant really).

Fedora uses the same structural setup as RHEL and Centos, so everything
will be exactly where you expect it to be.
On the odd occasion I find myself delving into a Ubuntu based setup I am
always slightly lost as to where things are! Not a big deal, but we do
get used to where things are located. Like getting in a rental car and
trying to find the windshield wipers in the dark. On the upside, you
will *not* have to learn new names for any of the programs or
prerequisite libraries you want to install.

One of the recent Fedora kernels was named as a LTS if that is a
concern. If your box is a standalone BE/FE then that hardly matters. I
have a mythbox running Fedora 28. It's not obsolete although the OS is old.

Moving up to Fedora 32 or 33 will give you a BIG jump in the kernel.
Although some denigratre Fedora, it's "cutting edge" is actually
incredibly stable for something like mythtv.

Geoff