channels again :(

https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/channel-changes-7-Dec-2020

Paul H.

Re: Freeview UK reshuffled some channel numbers again [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 at 11:45, Paul Harrison <mythtv@mythqml.net> wrote:

> Just a head up for Freeview uses in the UK they have moved around some
> channels again :(
>
> https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/channel-changes-7-Dec-2020
>

> Which is then an excellent occasion to test the channel scanning of the
current master!

Klaas.
Re: Freeview UK reshuffled some channel numbers again [ In reply to ]
I'll do a rescan.

I saw a report that freeview's going to be removed from one of the Crystal
Palace multiplexes after November 2020 (ie now), to make way for 5G.

Amongst other channels, that multiplex contained BBC4 HD, which I regularly
record.

I wonder if it's still there?

Re: Freeview UK reshuffled some channel numbers again [ In reply to ]
On 08/12/2020 11:50, Klaas de Waal wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 at 11:45, Paul Harrison <mythtv@mythqml.net
> <mailto:mythtv@mythqml.net>> wrote:
>
> Just a head up for Freeview uses in the UK they have moved around some
> channels again :(
>
> https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/channel-changes-7-Dec-2020
> <https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/channel-changes-7-Dec-2020>
>

> Which is then an excellent occasion to test the channel scanning of the
> current master!
>
> Klaas.

Yes - but I'm a bit confused. Since seeing Paul's post I have rescanned
my TV and my Fedora 32 mythbox several times. The mythbox has one DVB-T
tuner and one DVB-T/T2 tuner. The MythTV scans were, as usual for me,
'all known transports' and I saw no reports of failure to lock or bad
scans. After the second Myth scan 14 channels were reported missing for
both tuners, and after the third scan 14 new channels were added. The
Programme Guide still has a Channel 11 and a Channel 11A, and some other
channel numbers differ on the TV and Myth.

No doubt it will all settle down eventually, and I suppose I ought to
redefine my video sources sometime and do a full scan with more logging.
At present it looks as if it will all work, and most of the old
recordings are reported as being from channels look correct - if, for
example, 'Sony Movies Classic' and 'Sony Movies Christmas' are taken as
being equivalent. I have one 'Christmas' recording from mid-August.

John

Re: Freeview UK reshuffled some channel numbers again [ In reply to ]
On 08/12/2020 13:30, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 08/12/2020 11:50, Klaas de Waal wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 at 11:45, Paul Harrison <mythtv@mythqml.net
>> <mailto:mythtv@mythqml.net>> wrote:
>>
>>     Just a head up for Freeview uses in the UK they have moved around
>> some
>>     channels again :(
>>
>>     https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/channel-changes-7-Dec-2020
>>     <https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/channel-changes-7-Dec-2020>
>>

>> Which is then an excellent occasion to test the channel scanning of
>> the current master!
>>
>> Klaas.
>

> Yes - but I'm a bit confused.  Since seeing Paul's post I have rescanned
> my TV and my Fedora 32 mythbox several times.  The mythbox has one DVB-T
> tuner and one DVB-T/T2 tuner.  The MythTV scans were, as usual for me,
> 'all known transports' and I saw no reports of failure to lock or bad
> scans.  After the second Myth scan 14 channels were reported missing for
> both tuners, and after the third scan 14 new channels were added.  The
> Programme Guide still has a Channel 11 and a Channel 11A, and some other
> channel numbers differ on the TV and Myth.
>
> No doubt it will all settle down eventually, and I suppose I ought to
> redefine my video sources sometime and do a full scan with more logging.
>  At present it looks as if it will all work, and most of the old
> recordings are reported as being from channels look correct - if, for
> example, 'Sony Movies Classic' and 'Sony Movies Christmas' are taken as
> being equivalent.  I have one 'Christmas' recording from mid-August.
>
> John

This page might help to explain the above. I also found a page
reporting that BBC FOUR in Scotland was to be moved to a Logical Channel
Number in the PBS block 1-to-24, (from LCN 55) and that in consequence a
large block of LCNs would be upshifted by 1. I think that has happened
here.

https://www.cai.org.uk/index.php/contact/news/17-dtt-freeview-updates

Re: Freeview UK reshuffled some channel numbers again [ In reply to ]
On 08/12/2020 12:46, David Watkins wrote:
> I'll do a rescan.
>
> I saw a report that freeview's going to be removed from one of the
> Crystal Palace multiplexes after November 2020 (ie now), to make way for 5G.
>
> Amongst other channels, that multiplex contained BBC4 HD, which I
> regularly record.

I just hope they put that mux back into the one in the correct aerial
group. My aerial is group A, and now the relevant muxes requires a
group K (wideband) aerial to receive. Although [1] states that those
muxes are due to be switched off by 2023 :(

Regards
Stuart

[1] -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Palace_transmitting_station#Digital_switchover