Has anyone else seen this?

Regards,

Mark
Re: Tearing with Nvidia Driver 455.45 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2020-12-07 at 13:23 -0700, Mark Goldberg wrote:
> Using  mythtv-31.0-10.20201031giteb3c84de5f.fc32.x86_64 on Fedora 32
> and Nvidia Driver 455.45, I have noticed tearing in playback that was
> not present before.
>
> I am using nvdec as the decoder and opengl as the renderer.
>
> Has anyone else seen this?
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark

try switching to vdpau instead of nvdec.  i am on arch linux and on
home page scroll down and see where they note problem with current
nvidia drivers with later kernels. http://email.mg.glenb.net/c/eJwljEEOgyAQRU8juxocBoEFCze9BwyjmKBtEJv29rVp8jfvveQnT3NIGsXqDVqIAIZRyRDQpgTkiMaZkMDKdJlh0Mr2FDYuHcql8B77nZvIHrQbLGuOozFMUYIFIzVE41jPjlAUn1t7dmrq4H4tVMpl3c93_6iLqH77tNxet_PgelzXf_y1L-BaMck
Re: Tearing with Nvidia Driver 455.45 [ In reply to ]
On 12/7/20 3:23 PM, Mark Goldberg wrote:
> Using mythtv-31.0-10.20201031giteb3c84de5f.fc32.x86_64 on Fedora 32
> and Nvidia Driver 455.45, I have noticed tearing in playback that was
> not present before.
>
> I am using nvdec as the decoder and opengl as the renderer.
>
> Has anyone else seen this?
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark

Did you run the command to disable composite? It seems to still be
necessary to prevent tearing...

sudo nvidia-xconfig --no-composite

Peter

Re: Tearing with Nvidia Driver 455.45 [ In reply to ]
On 12/7/20 12:50 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 12/7/20 3:23 PM, Mark Goldberg wrote:
>> Using mythtv-31.0-10.20201031giteb3c84de5f.fc32.x86_64 on Fedora 32
>> and Nvidia Driver 455.45, I have noticed tearing in playback that was
>> not present before.
>>
>> I am using nvdec as the decoder and opengl as the renderer.
>>
>> Has anyone else seen this?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Mark
>

> Did you run the command to disable composite? It seems to still be
> necessary to prevent tearing...
>
> sudo nvidia-xconfig --no-composite
>
> Peter

Ah, yes, I remember tearing.  It SUCKS!  I dealt with it for years with
my Nvidia cards.  I run KDE (Plasma, now days) and it has (had?) a
setting to disable compositing for full-screen apps (like Myth).  Seems
to me that fixed the problem, but I don't remember.  I also remember
finding a CLI command that disabled it and I added that to my startup
script for a while.  I switched to Intel onboard a couple of years ago
and I'll never go back.  I'm glad to be rid of the extra heat and bother
of the add-in Nvidia cards and the proprietary drivers and the extra
cost and the tearing....

Dave D.

Re: Tearing with Nvidia Driver 455.45 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 7 Dec 2020 14:32:27 -0800, you wrote:

>On 12/7/20 12:50 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>
>> On 12/7/20 3:23 PM, Mark Goldberg wrote:
>>> Using mythtv-31.0-10.20201031giteb3c84de5f.fc32.x86_64 on Fedora 32
>>> and Nvidia Driver 455.45, I have noticed tearing in playback that was
>>> not present before.
>>>
>>> I am using nvdec as the decoder and opengl as the renderer.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else seen this?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Mark
>>

>> Did you run the command to disable composite? It seems to still be
>> necessary to prevent tearing...
>>
>> sudo nvidia-xconfig --no-composite
>>
>> Peter
>
>Ah, yes, I remember tearing.? It SUCKS!? I dealt with it for years with
>my Nvidia cards.? I run KDE (Plasma, now days) and it has (had?) a
>setting to disable compositing for full-screen apps (like Myth).? Seems
>to me that fixed the problem, but I don't remember.? I also remember
>finding a CLI command that disabled it and I added that to my startup
>script for a while.? I switched to Intel onboard a couple of years ago
>and I'll never go back.? I'm glad to be rid of the extra heat and bother
>of the add-in Nvidia cards and the proprietary drivers and the extra
>cost and the tearing....
>
>Dave D.

The fix for disabling composite is to add this section to
/etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

All that running the "sudo nvidia-xconfig --no-composite" command does
is to add that section. Any MythTV user with an Nvidia card should
have added that a long time ago - the problem has been around since
VDPAU was invented.
Re: Tearing with Nvidia Driver 455.45 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 7 Dec 2020, you wrote:

>The fix for disabling composite is to add this section to
>/etc/X11/xorg.conf:
>
>Section "Extensions"
> Option "Composite" "Disable"
>EndSection
>
>All that running the "sudo nvidia-xconfig --no-composite" command does
>is to add that section. Any MythTV user with an Nvidia card should
>have added that a long time ago - the problem has been around since
>VDPAU was invented.

That worked, but this system has been in operation since 2006 with
continuous updates, and it was not needed in the last few years at
least. The most recent changes were a different video card and updates
to Fedora 32 to kernel 5.9 which required a new version of the Nvidia
driver. Something changed with all that.

Mark
Re: Tearing with Nvidia Driver 455.45 [ In reply to ]
On 12/7/20 9:56 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Dec 2020 14:32:27 -0800, you wrote:

>>> Did you run the command to disable composite? It seems to still be
>>> necessary to prevent tearing...
>>>
>>> sudo nvidia-xconfig --no-composite
>>>
>>> Peter
>> Ah, yes, I remember tearing.  It SUCKS!  I dealt with it for years with
>> my Nvidia cards.  I run KDE (Plasma, now days) and it has (had?) a
>> setting to disable compositing for full-screen apps (like Myth).  Seems
>> to me that fixed the problem, but I don't remember.  I also remember
>> finding a CLI command that disabled it and I added that to my startup
>> script for a while.  I switched to Intel onboard a couple of years ago
>> and I'll never go back.  I'm glad to be rid of the extra heat and bother
>> of the add-in Nvidia cards and the proprietary drivers and the extra
>> cost and the tearing....
>>
>> Dave D.
> The fix for disabling composite is to add this section to
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
>
> Section "Extensions"
> Option "Composite" "Disable"
> EndSection
>
> All that running the "sudo nvidia-xconfig --no-composite" command does
> is to add that section. Any MythTV user with an Nvidia card should
> have added that a long time ago - the problem has been around since
> VDPAU was invented.

So the Composite Disable has not been implemented in my xorg.conf but I
have EDID file information so it stays at the right configuration if I
boot without a TV turned on.  So the question is:

Do I not have the tearing problem because I'm using the software only
Profile??

Jim A

Re: Tearing with Nvidia Driver 455.45 [ In reply to ]
On 12/7/20 9:56 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Dec 2020 14:32:27 -0800, you wrote:

>>> Did you run the command to disable composite? It seems to still be
>>> necessary to prevent tearing...
>>>
>>> sudo nvidia-xconfig --no-composite
>>>
>>> Peter
>> Ah, yes, I remember tearing.  It SUCKS!  I dealt with it for years with
>> my Nvidia cards.  I run KDE (Plasma, now days) and it has (had?) a
>> setting to disable compositing for full-screen apps (like Myth).  Seems
>> to me that fixed the problem, but I don't remember.  I also remember
>> finding a CLI command that disabled it and I added that to my startup
>> script for a while.  I switched to Intel onboard a couple of years ago
>> and I'll never go back.  I'm glad to be rid of the extra heat and bother
>> of the add-in Nvidia cards and the proprietary drivers and the extra
>> cost and the tearing....
>>
>> Dave D.
> The fix for disabling composite is to add this section to
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
>
> Section "Extensions"
> Option "Composite" "Disable"
> EndSection
>
> All that running the "sudo nvidia-xconfig --no-composite" command does
> is to add that section. Any MythTV user with an Nvidia card should
> have added that a long time ago - the problem has been around since
> VDPAU was invented.

So Stephen, since I have not had Composite  Disable set in my xorg.conf
and not seen tearing, is that because I'm using the OpenGL software
Video Profile in Mythtv?

Jim A

Re: Tearing with Nvidia Driver 455.45 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 06:21:55 -0500, you wrote:

>So Stephen, since I have not had Composite? Disable set in my xorg.conf
>and not seen tearing, is that because I'm using the OpenGL software
>Video Profile in Mythtv?
>
>Jim A

That sounds like a good theory, but you would need to test it. I have
no idea if you are right or not.
Re: Tearing with Nvidia Driver 455.45 [ In reply to ]
On 12/8/20 9:37 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 06:21:55 -0500, you wrote:
>
>> So Stephen, since I have not had Composite  Disable set in my xorg.conf
>> and not seen tearing, is that because I'm using the OpenGL software
>> Video Profile in Mythtv?
>>
>> Jim A
> That sounds like a good theory, but you would need to test it. I have
> no idea if you are right or not.

I put in the Composite disable and my Cinammon Desktop would not boot,
so that answers that.  I'm happy with the way the OpenGL software only
solution is working. a 6 core 12 thread Ryzen 5 can make up for a lot.

Jim A

Re: Tearing with Nvidia Driver 455.45 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 21:46:20 -0500, you wrote:

>On 12/8/20 9:37 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 06:21:55 -0500, you wrote:
>>
>>> So Stephen, since I have not had Composite? Disable set in my xorg.conf
>>> and not seen tearing, is that because I'm using the OpenGL software
>>> Video Profile in Mythtv?
>>>
>>> Jim A
>> That sounds like a good theory, but you would need to test it. I have
>> no idea if you are right or not.
>
>I put in the Composite disable and my Cinammon Desktop would not boot,
>so that answers that.? I'm happy with the way the OpenGL software only
>solution is working. a 6 core 12 thread Ryzen 5 can make up for a lot.
>
>Jim A

A quick web search for "Cinnamon Desktop" and "composite" seems to
show that Cinnamon uses compositing for desktop effects - so turning
it off might be a problem without turning off those effects first. If
so, then Cinnamon is probably not a good desktop to use with MythTV.
Re: Tearing with Nvidia Driver 455.45 [ In reply to ]
On 12/9/20 6:44 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 21:46:20 -0500, you wrote:

>>> That sounds like a good theory, but you would need to test it. I have
>>> no idea if you are right or not.
>> I put in the Composite disable and my Cinammon Desktop would not boot,
>> so that answers that.  I'm happy with the way the OpenGL software only
>> solution is working. a 6 core 12 thread Ryzen 5 can make up for a lot.
>>
>> Jim A
> A quick web search for "Cinnamon Desktop" and "composite" seems to
> show that Cinnamon uses compositing for desktop effects - so turning
> it off might be a problem without turning off those effects first. If
> so, then Cinnamon is probably not a good desktop to use with MythTV.

At this point, Cinnamon Desktop is more important than Mythtv on those 2
machines because they are more personal computers than MythTV frontends.
My wife uses the FireTV 4K stick and I use Nvidia Shield TV for 99% of
our TV watching, a combination of Mythtv recordings and internet
streaming services.

However when I've used MythTV on any of our PCs the GT-710 and GT-1030
have performed well using the Software OpenGL Normal profile.

So that's a long way around saying that having Compositing on isn't
really a problem for us.

Thanks,

Jim A