but Gary says the issue is well understood and posting there is not
appropriate - so here we go: is there a way of continuing with el7
(which I use as my main system and does not, IIUC, have a clear upgrade
path) or do I need to move my MythTV usage to another box?

I have asked a related question on the elrepo list, because I normally
use the elrepo-lt kernel and it might be a good idea to build with that too.

Thanks,

John P
Re: Build of master failing in el7 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 7:59 PM John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now the builds are failing again; it looks to me as if the LTS kernel is
> no longer being accessed.

This is a "feature" in the CentOS repos due
to their changing from the 7.8 to 7.9 branch
in early/mid November (and also removing
the 7.8 package contents),

See: https://forums.centos.org/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=76346

When they resolve their issue, and the
package reports get out to the mirrors, you
should be able to build again.

If it does not get fixed in what you consider
a reasonable time frame you should probably
open a formal bug in the CentOS bug tracker
(their forums are not considered official for
reporting bugs).
Re: Build of master failing in el7 [ In reply to ]
On 01/12/2020 20:18, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 7:59 PM John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Now the builds are failing again; it looks to me as if the LTS kernel is
>> no longer being accessed.
>
> This is a "feature" in the CentOS repos due
> to their changing from the 7.8 to 7.9 branch
> in early/mid November (and also removing
> the 7.8 package contents),
>
> See: https://forums.centos.org/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=76346
>
> When they resolve their issue, and the
> package reports get out to the mirrors, you
> should be able to build again.
>
> If it does not get fixed in what you consider
> a reasonable time frame you should probably
> open a formal bug in the CentOS bug tracker
> (their forums are not considered official for
> reporting bugs).

Thanks Gary :) My post to the elrepo list yielded a suggested cfg
amendment, adding what is essentially the kernel section of
/etc/yum.repos.d/elrepo.repo to your version. The build ran to
completion using kernel-ml-devel-5.9.11, installed as normal, and is now
running. I hope it's not too near the bleeding edge.

John