Mailing List Archive

Plex plugin to access recordings
Hi.

Is there a plex plugin available, or any other solutions that would
let you access mythtv recordings on a plex server?

Thanks
Jean-Yves
Re: Plex plugin to access recordings [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Nov 29, 2020 at 2:16 AM Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Is there a plex plugin available, or any other solutions that would
> let you access mythtv recordings on a plex server?

I use a systemd service and timer to create symlinks that Plex can
understand. It runs pretty much at midnight every night so they'll show up
the day after they record which is "good enough". Some kind of plugin that
would manage the symbolic links on the fly would be awesome, because when a
recording is expired it will still show up in Plex until the next
mythlink.sh run.

# systemctl cat mythlink.timer
# /etc/systemd/system/mythlink.timer
[Unit]
Description=Timer for the mythlink service

[Timer]
#OnCalendar=*-*-* 00:00:00
OnCalendar=daily
#OnUnitActiveSec=1d

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

# systemctl cat mythlink.service
# /etc/systemd/system/mythlink.service
[Unit]
Description=Update symbolic links of recordings for Plex
After=mythbackend.service
Requisite=mythbackend.service

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/usr/local/libexec/mythlink.sh

# cat /usr/local/libexec/mythlink.sh
#!/bin/env bash

PLEXDIR=/var/lib/mythtv/plex

if [[ $# -eq 0 ]]; then
# Run for all recordings
/usr/local/bin/mythlink --link $PLEXDIR --format "%T - s%sse%ep"
/usr/bin/symlinks -c $PLEXDIR
else
# Run for a single recording
/usr/local/bin/mythlink --link $PLEXDIR --format "%T - s%sse%ep" \
--chanid $1 --starttime $2
/usr/bin/symlinks -c $PLEXDIR
fi

Thanks,
Richard
Re: Plex plugin to access recordings [ In reply to ]
I use a systemd service and timer to create symlinks that Plex can
understand. It runs pretty much at midnight every night so they'll show up
the day after they record which is "good enough". Some kind of plugin that
would manage the symbolic links on the fly would be awesome, because when a
recording is expired it will still show up in Plex until the next
mythlink.sh run.

Take a look at MythTV system events:
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_System_Events

You'd probably want scripts to fire on recording finished and recording
expired.

HTH, Ian
Re: Plex plugin to access recordings [ In reply to ]
Also, mythlink.pl *could* be useful for this problem, although I don't know
if it has been updated for MythTV versions > 0.27 or if it's usable as is
with Python3. https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythlink.pl

Just thought I'd mention it anyway...
Re: Plex plugin to access recordings [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 14:36:49 +0000, you wrote:

>Also, mythlink.pl *could* be useful for this problem, although I don't know
>if it has been updated for MythTV versions > 0.27 or if it's usable as is
>with Python3. https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythlink.pl
>
>Just thought I'd mention it anyway...

Since mythlink.pl is a Perl program, the change of Python version will
not affect it.
Re: Plex plugin to access recordings [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 at 15:35, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 14:36:49 +0000, you wrote:
>
> >Also, mythlink.pl *could* be useful for this problem, although I don't
> know
> >if it has been updated for MythTV versions > 0.27 or if it's usable as is
> >with Python3. https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythlink.pl
> >
> >Just thought I'd mention it anyway...
>
> Since mythlink.pl is a Perl program, the change of Python version will
> not affect it.

Doh! Well spotted, I'm not sure how I managed to confuse the two...
Re: Plex plugin to access recordings [ In reply to ]
On 11/29/20 3:15 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Is there a plex plugin available, or any other solutions that would
> let you access mythtv recordings on a plex server?
>
> Thanks
> Jean-Yves

/ I have in the past used,  Plex-plugin-mythtv-recording.. When it
worked it worked quit well.. It seemed to work quite well,but took a lot
of effort to keep it working.. The original author abandoned it a few
years back,/Piotr Oniszczuk did get it running again,but looking on git
hub he may have abandoned it also. I now use mythlink...

Good Luck
Re: Plex plugin to access recordings [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Nov 29, 2020 at 2:17 AM Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Is there a plex plugin available, or any other solutions that would
> let you access mythtv recordings on a plex server?
>
> Thanks
> Jean-Yves

Plex killed off their plugins last year, so I would stay away from that
route and use mythlink.pl on an exported directory.

-Greg