Mailing List Archive

remote control mostly stopped working
It seems that some Ubuntu update screwed up my remote control. I have a Hauppauge remote and the arrow keys still work but basically nothing else. From ir-keytable, it seems like /etc/rc_keymaps/hauppauge isn't being loaded at startup anymore. If I load the file manually with ir-keytable -c -w /etc/rc_keymaps/hauppague then ir-keytable -t will report the correct scancodes and mappings when I push the remote buttons but it is like those keystrokes aren't sent to mythfrontend because still only the arrow keys work.

In mythfrontend setup, when using ir-keytable, I just want to make sure that LIRC daemon socket should be empty. Should the evdev device name go anywhere in the mythfrontend setup?

Any suggestions for what the problem could be?

thanks
Re: remote control mostly stopped working [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 23 Nov 2020 21:46:57 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

>It seems that some Ubuntu update screwed up my remote control. I have a Hauppauge remote and the arrow keys still work but basically nothing else. From ir-keytable, it seems like /etc/rc_keymaps/hauppauge isn't being loaded at startup anymore. If I load the file manually with ir-keytable -c -w /etc/rc_keymaps/hauppague then ir-keytable -t will report the correct scancodes and mappings when I push the remote buttons but it is like those keystrokes aren't sent to mythfrontend because still only the arrow keys work.
>
>In mythfrontend setup, when using ir-keytable, I just want to make sure that LIRC daemon socket should be empty. Should the evdev device name go anywhere in the mythfrontend setup?
>
>Any suggestions for what the problem could be?
>
>thanks

The symptoms you are describing are what you get when LIRC is not
running but the kernel drivers are seeing the remote and passing
through the arrow keys. I think the number keys may work also. If it
is what I think, you will also find that the remote buttons that work
will also work in terminal sessions under X. And the Power button may
put your PC to sleep if you push it, so do not try that until you have
fixed the configuration.

What was the upgrade you did that caused this? This is a known
problem when you upgrade to Ubuntu 18.04, as the version of LIRC got
upgraded to a much newer version that is configured completely
differently. The LIRC package is also broken in Ubuntu 18.04 and
20.04 (and presumably all versions in between) in that its Python
lirc-setup program needs a library file that is not installed. It
seems that the person doing the packaging never tests the package
except on his development machine where that library is already
installed. There are other less critical broken bits too. I have fix
scripts for 18.04 and 20.04 that fix all the problems I know of with
the respective LIRC packages. They download the source code and
compile it to get the missing library and fix lots of other things.
They can be downloaded from my web server:

http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/lirc-ubuntu-18.04-install.sh
http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/lirc-ubuntu-20.04-install.sh

Even after you have run one of those scripts, you will still need to
update your lirc configuration to the new setup. The kernel devinput
driver is used for all the Hauppauge remotes I have, and also for my
MCE remote. Previously, LIRC used to load its own drivers (which it
can still do), but now most IR remotes now use builtin kernel drivers
and you need to reconfigure to use them. I have MCE and Hauppauge
remotes working on 3 PCs using 20.04 now, so I can provide a full set
of config files if you need that. Your customisations of the
keystrokes will not match mine, but they will give you what you need
to modify your files.

So exactly what system, and what IR hardware (receiver, remote), are
you using?
Re: remote control mostly stopped working [ In reply to ]
Am Dienstag, 24. November 2020, 06:46:57 CET schrieb TODD ANDERSON:
> It seems that some Ubuntu update screwed up my remote control. I have a
> Hauppauge remote and the arrow keys still work but basically nothing else.
> From ir-keytable, it seems like /etc/rc_keymaps/hauppauge isn't being
> loaded at startup anymore. If I load the file manually with ir-keytable -c
> -w /etc/rc_keymaps/hauppague then ir-keytable -t will report the correct
> scancodes and mappings when I push the remote buttons but it is like those
> keystrokes aren't sent to mythfrontend because still only the arrow keys
> work.
>
> In mythfrontend setup, when using ir-keytable, I just want to make sure that
> LIRC daemon socket should be empty. Should the evdev device name go
> anywhere in the mythfrontend setup?
>
> Any suggestions for what the problem could be?

Like Stephen suggested, the configs and mappings are configured different. My
appraoch for this (debian not ubuntu, and I'm lazy) was to just configure
mythfrontend to react to the unmapped values. So you can just go to config
screen, if you call the menu with blue-button (like I do) try to map menu to
blue-button in frontend instead of mapping blue-button to m in system.

--
MfG usw.

Werner Mahr

Re: remote control mostly stopped working [ In reply to ]
> Am Dienstag, 24. November 2020, 06:46:57 CET schrieb TODD ANDERSON:
> > It seems that some Ubuntu update screwed up my remote control. I have a
> > Hauppauge remote and the arrow keys still work but basically nothing else.
> > From ir-keytable, it seems like /etc/rc_keymaps/hauppauge isn't being
> > loaded at startup anymore. If I load the file manually with ir-keytable -c
> > -w /etc/rc_keymaps/hauppague then ir-keytable -t will report the correct
> > scancodes and mappings when I push the remote buttons but it is like those
> > keystrokes aren't sent to mythfrontend because still only the arrow keys
> > work.
> >
> > In mythfrontend setup, when using ir-keytable, I just want to make sure that
> > LIRC daemon socket should be empty. Should the evdev device name go
> > anywhere in the mythfrontend setup?
> >
> > Any suggestions for what the problem could be?
>
> Like Stephen suggested, the configs and mappings are configured different. My
> appraoch for this (debian not ubuntu, and I'm lazy) was to just configure
> mythfrontend to react to the unmapped values. So you can just go to config
> screen, if you call the menu with blue-button (like I do) try to map menu to
> blue-button in frontend instead of mapping blue-button to m in system.

I have previously tried "edit keys" and was able to map a couple additional buttons.
However, for some buttons (like the 4 color buttons at the bottom of the remote)
when I go into edit keys and select the function I want to map to and select an
empty slot and it asks me to press the key on the remote, I do, and then nothing
happens. The buttons that I really miss are pause and the 4 color buttons.
Re: remote control mostly stopped working [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 26 Nov 2020 00:59:39 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

>> Am Dienstag, 24. November 2020, 06:46:57 CET schrieb TODD ANDERSON:
>> > It seems that some Ubuntu update screwed up my remote control. I have a
>> > Hauppauge remote and the arrow keys still work but basically nothing else.
>> > From ir-keytable, it seems like /etc/rc_keymaps/hauppauge isn't being
>> > loaded at startup anymore. If I load the file manually with ir-keytable -c
>> > -w /etc/rc_keymaps/hauppague then ir-keytable -t will report the correct
>> > scancodes and mappings when I push the remote buttons but it is like those
>> > keystrokes aren't sent to mythfrontend because still only the arrow keys
>> > work.
>> >
>> > In mythfrontend setup, when using ir-keytable, I just want to make sure that
>> > LIRC daemon socket should be empty. Should the evdev device name go
>> > anywhere in the mythfrontend setup?
>> >
>> > Any suggestions for what the problem could be?
>>
>> Like Stephen suggested, the configs and mappings are configured different. My
>> appraoch for this (debian not ubuntu, and I'm lazy) was to just configure
>> mythfrontend to react to the unmapped values. So you can just go to config
>> screen, if you call the menu with blue-button (like I do) try to map menu to
>> blue-button in frontend instead of mapping blue-button to m in system.
>
>I have previously tried "edit keys" and was able to map a couple additional buttons.
>However, for some buttons (like the 4 color buttons at the bottom of the remote)
>when I go into edit keys and select the function I want to map to and select an
>empty slot and it asks me to press the key on the remote, I do, and then nothing
>happens. The buttons that I really miss are pause and the 4 color buttons.

Do the non-working keys show up when you test them with ir-keytable
-t? If not, then there is a problem with the keymap. What version of
Ubuntu are we talking about? I found that there have been some
changes to the names of the keys in the keymap files between 18.04 and
20.04. And the keymap files themselves have changed - they now have a
.toml extension and are found in /lib/udev/rc_keymaps.

The first thing to do is to make sure that all the keys on the remote
work with ir-keytable -t. That is necessary for using lirc or using
the key mappings directly in MythTV.

Next, you have to decide whether you are going to use lirc or not. If
you have more than one program that you want to use lirc with (eg
MythTV, mplayer and irexec in my case), then it is almost certain that
you will need to use lirc. If you want to be able to select which
keys will autorepeat or not, and the autorepeat rate, you also need to
use lirc.

If you decide not to use lirc, you may need to use a custom keymap
file to remap any keys that MythTV can not see to KEY_ values it is
able to use. Find the hauppauge.toml file in /lib/udev/rc_keymaps and
copy it to /etc/rc_keymaps and edit it there. In /etc/rc_maps.cfg,
change the "hauppauge.toml" entry to "/etc/rc_keymaps/hauppauge.toml".

It has been a while since I last modified my key mappings - I have
reverted to using the standard mappings and changing things in the
lirc config. But if I remember correctly, to test your changes you
need to run "ir-keytable -a" or if you have multiple remote receivers,
"ir-keytable -a -s rcX" (with X set to the remote number). That
should load your new keymap and you can then test it with "ir-keytable
-t". I am not sure if that is sufficient to get your new keytable
loaded on boot though - try rebooting and see if your changes are
still there. If not, you will need to add your "ir-keytable -a"
command to /etc/rc.local or create a systemd unit to run that command
at boot.

In 20.04, the valid KEY_ names you can use are found in:

/usr/src/linux-headers-xxxxx/include/uapi/linux/input-event-codes.h

where xxxxx is your current kernel version number.
Re: remote control mostly stopped working [ In reply to ]

> [...]
> reverted to using the standard mappings and changing things in the
> lirc config. But if I remember correctly, to test your changes you
> need to run "ir-keytable -a" or if you have multiple remote receivers,
> "ir-keytable -a -s rcX" (with X set to the remote number). That
> should load your new keymap and you can then test it with "ir-keytable
> -t". I am not sure if that is sufficient to get your new keytable
> loaded on boot though - try rebooting and see if your changes are
> still there. If not, you will need to add your "ir-keytable -a"
> command to /etc/rc.local or create a systemd unit to run that command
> at boot.
>
> In 20.04, the valid KEY_ names you can use are found in:
>
> /usr/src/linux-headers-xxxxx/include/uapi/linux/input-event-codes.h
>
> where xxxxx is your current kernel version number.

I am using Ubuntu 20. I just copied and customized the new hauppauge.toml
file and put it in the directory you mention above. Then I rebooted and
ran ir-keytable -t and the keymappings in hauppauge.toml are not being used.
If I explicitly do ir-keytable -c -w /etc/rc_keymaps/hauppauge.toml then
ir-keytable -t will return the correct values. However, after that, the
buttons do still not work in the frontend. Is it necessary to restart
the frontend after changing ir-keytable?
Re: remote control mostly stopped working [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 26 Nov 2020 20:07:01 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

> [...]
>> still there. If not, you will need to add your "ir-keytable -a"
>> command to /etc/rc.local or create a systemd unit to run that command
>> at boot.
>>
>> In 20.04, the valid KEY_ names you can use are found in:
>>
>> /usr/src/linux-headers-xxxxx/include/uapi/linux/input-event-codes.h
>>
>> where xxxxx is your current kernel version number.
>
>I am using Ubuntu 20. I just copied and customized the new hauppauge.toml
>file and put it in the directory you mention above. Then I rebooted and
>ran ir-keytable -t and the keymappings in hauppauge.toml are not being used.
>If I explicitly do ir-keytable -c -w /etc/rc_keymaps/hauppauge.toml then
>ir-keytable -t will return the correct values. However, after that, the
>buttons do still not work in the frontend. Is it necessary to restart
>the frontend after changing ir-keytable?

Not that I know of. The key tables are in the kernel, so if they show
up in ir-keytable -t, they should be available to all programs. But,
remember how mythfrontend works - it uses keystrokes available from a
normal keyboard. When using lirc, the KEY_ values generated by IR
remotes get translated by lirc to normal keyboard keystrokes. So for
example, the KEY_INFO keystroke might be translated in lirc to I which
is what mythfrontend expects for the Info screen. Mythfrontend is
unlikely to be able to see KEY_INFO directly, so you would need to
change hauppauge.toml so that the I key on the remote does not send
KEY_INFO, but instead sends I (KEY_I). You will need to change the
hauppauge.toml settings for most keys. You may even need to change
the numeric keys, as the keyboard numeric keys are encoded as KEY_0
etc, where the new encoding in 20.04 for the IR numeric keys is
KEY_NUMERIC_0, which are keyboard numeric keypad versions of the
numeric keys.
Re: remote control mostly stopped working [ In reply to ]

> [...]
> up in ir-keytable -t, they should be available to all programs. But,
> remember how mythfrontend works - it uses keystrokes available from a
> normal keyboard. When using lirc, the KEY_ values generated by IR
> remotes get translated by lirc to normal keyboard keystrokes. So for
> example, the KEY_INFO keystroke might be translated in lirc to I which
> is what mythfrontend expects for the Info screen. Mythfrontend is
> unlikely to be able to see KEY_INFO directly, so you would need to
> change hauppauge.toml so that the I key on the remote does not send
> KEY_INFO, but instead sends I (KEY_I). You will need to change the
> hauppauge.toml settings for most keys. You may even need to change
> the numeric keys, as the keyboard numeric keys are encoded as KEY_0
> etc, where the new encoding in 20.04 for the IR numeric keys is
> KEY_NUMERIC_0, which are keyboard numeric keypad versions of the

Thanks to everyone for their help. I still don't know why hauppauge.toml
isn't loading automatically but I put ir-keytable -c -w hauppauge.toml
in some start-up file to get it to happen at boot-up. After I did that,
I added /dev/lirc0 to the frontend's lirc device and now things seem to
be working normally.