Watch|Play in browser results in "No video with supported format..." and
an instruction to install JW Player.

Going to Menu|3rd-Party Software|JW Player and clicking on the button
"Install JW Player" results in "501 not implemented."

My searching has not resulted in a solution.

So is this process meant to work? If so, is there a fix? Or is there
another way of viewing via a browser?

Bob Long
Re: Using Webfrontend to play recording [ In reply to ]
> On 19 Nov 2020, at 9:50 am, Bob Long <bob@oblong.com.au> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Fresh installation of Linux Mint 20, MATE, 64 bit; MythTV fixes/31 (v31.0-v31.0) as combined backend and frontend. All that seems to work.
>
> So, with Firefox, trying Webfrontend|TV|Recordings; for a recording: Watch|Play in browser results in "No video with supported format..." and an instruction to install JW Player.
>
> Going to Menu|3rd-Party Software|JW Player and clicking on the button "Install JW Player" results in "501 not implemented."
>
> My searching has not resulted in a solution.
>
> So is this process meant to work? If so, is there a fix? Or is there another way of viewing via a browser?

AND firefox does a crap job of streaming. I had to (dons raincoat) use chrome.

James

Re: Using Webfrontend to play recording [ In reply to ]
James Linder wrote on 19/11/20 12:29 pm:
>> On 19 Nov 2020, at 9:50 am, Bob Long <bob@oblong.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Fresh installation of Linux Mint 20, MATE, 64 bit; MythTV fixes/31 (v31.0-v31.0) as combined backend and frontend. All that seems to work.
>>
>> So, with Firefox, trying Webfrontend|TV|Recordings; for a recording: Watch|Play in browser results in "No video with supported format..." and an instruction to install JW Player.
>>
>> Going to Menu|3rd-Party Software|JW Player and clicking on the button "Install JW Player" results in "501 not implemented."
>>
>> My searching has not resulted in a solution.
>>
>> So is this process meant to work? If so, is there a fix? Or is there another way of viewing via a browser?
>>
> AND firefox does a crap job of streaming. I had to (dons raincoat) use chrome.

So I tried Google Chrome. That allowed the installation of JW Player;
Firefox then knew JW Player was installed. But neither worked for "Play
in Browser".

I then tried "XSPF/M3U8/ASX" which gave a prompt; selecting VLC worked.
That will do for me.

--

Bob Long
Re: Using Webfrontend to play recording [ In reply to ]
> On 19 Nov 2020, at 2:09 pm, Bob Long <bob@oblong.com.au> wrote:
>
> James Linder wrote on 19/11/20 12:29 pm:
>>> On 19 Nov 2020, at 9:50 am, Bob Long <bob@oblong.com.au>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Fresh installation of Linux Mint 20, MATE, 64 bit; MythTV fixes/31 (v31.0-v31.0) as combined backend and frontend. All that seems to work.
>>>
>>> So, with Firefox, trying Webfrontend|TV|Recordings; for a recording: Watch|Play in browser results in "No video with supported format..." and an instruction to install JW Player.
>>>
>>> Going to Menu|3rd-Party Software|JW Player and clicking on the button "Install JW Player" results in "501 not implemented."
>>>
>>> My searching has not resulted in a solution.
>>>
>>> So is this process meant to work? If so, is there a fix? Or is there another way of viewing via a browser?
>>>

>> AND firefox does a crap job of streaming. I had to (dons raincoat) use chrome.
> So I tried Google Chrome. That allowed the installation of JW Player; Firefox then knew JW Player was installed. But neither worked for "Play in Browser".
>
> I then tried "XSPF/M3U8/ASX" which gave a prompt; selecting VLC worked. That will do for me.

Bob please use more words :)

I looked for the option and found it not.
I tried to use VLC directly which failed and selected uPnP, I have a server running ‘doze media player and my samsung TV see it and can use it, but that failed too.
James

Re: Using Webfrontend to play recording [ In reply to ]
James Linder wrote on 21/11/20 11:33 am:

>>> AND firefox does a crap job of streaming. I had to (dons raincoat) use chrome.
>> So I tried Google Chrome. That allowed the installation of JW Player; Firefox then knew JW Player was installed. But neither worked for "Play in Browser".
>>
>> I then tried "XSPF/M3U8/ASX" which gave a prompt; selecting VLC worked. That will do for me.
> Bob please use more words :)
Ok!
> I looked for the option and found it not.

I presume you are looking for the "XSPF/M3U8/ASX" option? To see that, I
do, in Webfrontend:

Using Firefox (not tried Google Chrome for this bit):

Webfrontend|left-hand Menu|TV|Recordings; left click on "Watch" on the
recording thumbnail. Three options appear:

Play in Browser
XSPF/M3U8/ASX
Download

Click XSPF/M3U8/ASX and Firefox prompts to open with VLC, and it does.

Firefox|Preferences|Applications has:

application/x-mpegurl type    Always ask.

I've tried this only on the combined backend/frontend so far (which in a
way is pointless, because I would usually use the proper frontend).

Bob

Re: Using Webfrontend to play recording [ In reply to ]
> On 21 Nov 2020, at 12:54 pm, Bob Long <bob@oblong.com.au> wrote:
>
> James Linder wrote on 21/11/20 11:33 am:
>>> On 19 Nov 2020, at 2:09 pm, Bob Long <bob@oblong.com.au>
>>> wrote:

>>> So I tried Google Chrome. That allowed the installation of JW Player; Firefox then knew JW Player was installed. But neither worked for "Play in Browser".
>>>
>>> I then tried "XSPF/M3U8/ASX" which gave a prompt; selecting VLC worked. That will do for me.
>>>
>> Bob please use more words :)
> Ok!
>> I looked for the option and found it not.
> I presume you are looking for the "XSPF/M3U8/ASX" option? To see that, I do, in Webfrontend:
>
> Using Firefox (not tried Google Chrome for this bit):
>
> Webfrontend|left-hand Menu|TV|Recordings; left click on "Watch" on the recording thumbnail. Three options appear:
>
> Play in Browser
> XSPF/M3U8/ASX
> Download
> Click XSPF/M3U8/ASX and Firefox prompts to open with VLC, and it does.
>
> Firefox|Preferences|Applications has:
>
> application/x-mpegurl type Always ask.
>
> I've tried this only on the combined backend/frontend so far (which in a way is pointless, because I would usually use the proper frontend).
>
> Bob
>
>> I tried to use VLC directly which failed and selected uPnP, I have a server running ‘doze media player and my samsung TV see it and can use it, but that failed too.
>> James

Thank you (works perfectly) Why can’t I get VLC to do that :-)
James

Re: Using Webfrontend to play recording [ In reply to ]
On 11/21/20 3:44 AM, James Linder wrote:

>>> Bob please use more words :)
>> Ok!
>>> I looked for the option and found it not.
>> I presume you are looking for the "XSPF/M3U8/ASX" option? To see that, I do, in Webfrontend:
>>
>> Using Firefox (not tried Google Chrome for this bit):
>>
>> Webfrontend|left-hand Menu|TV|Recordings; left click on "Watch" on the recording thumbnail. Three options appear:
>>
>> Play in Browser
>> XSPF/M3U8/ASX
>> Download
>> Click XSPF/M3U8/ASX and Firefox prompts to open with VLC, and it does.
>>
>> Firefox|Preferences|Applications has:
>>
>> application/x-mpegurl type Always ask.
>>
>> I've tried this only on the combined backend/frontend so far (which in a way is pointless, because I would usually use the proper frontend).
>>
>> Bob
>>
>>> I tried to use VLC directly which failed and selected uPnP, I have a server running ‘doze media player and my samsung TV see it and can use it, but that failed too.
>>> James
> Thank you (works perfectly) Why can’t I get VLC to do that :-)
> James

I thought this discussion was interesting and tried the following.

1. Using Google Chrome browser, login to webfrontend and install JW Player

2. In TV -> Recordings -> left click on "Watch" on the recording
thumbnail. Four options appear:

1. Play in Browser
2. Play on Frontend LibreELEC
3. XSPF/M3U8/ASX
4. Download

I selected XSPF/M3U8/ASX and Chrome showed the .m3u8 file as downloaded
at the bottom of the browser. I click on that and the Video starts play
in the "Video" (Totem) Program on Linux Mint/Ubuntu. I could also right
click the file in my Download directory and select play with VLC.

However, without any further VLC configuration the quality in Totem was
already better.

Jim A
Re: Using Webfrontend to play recording [ In reply to ]
On 19/11/2020 01:50, Bob Long wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Fresh installation of Linux Mint 20, MATE, 64 bit; MythTV fixes/31
> (v31.0-v31.0) as combined backend and frontend. All that seems to work.
>
> So, with Firefox, trying Webfrontend|TV|Recordings; for a recording:
> Watch|Play in browser results in "No video with supported format..." and
> an instruction to install JW Player.
>
> Going to Menu|3rd-Party Software|JW Player and clicking on the button
> "Install JW Player" results in "501 not implemented."
>
> My searching has not resulted in a solution.
>
> So is this process meant to work? If so, is there a fix? Or is there
> another way of viewing via a browser?

It's pretty crap tbh.

We are working on rewriting all of this in master (for v32)

Regards
Stuart