backend doesn't help. Setup does not show an IP address for the HDHR as it
should according to the screenshot in the wiki. The HDHR works on other
devices. How to troubleshoot?
Re: HDHR failing [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 12 Nov 2020 18:16:00 -0700, you wrote:

>My HDHR suddenly stopped working on Myth. It is not the startup race
>condition problem, because I have applied Stephen's fix and restarting the
>backend doesn't help. Setup does not show an IP address for the HDHR as it
>should according to the screenshot in the wiki. The HDHR works on other
>devices. How to troubleshoot?

How is the HDHR connected to your network? Is it on the same subnet
as the MythTV box and the other devices that still work with it? Is
it pingable from the MythTV box? Does the hdhomerun_config utility
not see it - is that what you mean by "setup"? Does the MythTV box
have a network connection still?
Re: HDHR failing [ In reply to ]
On 11/12/20 6:38 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Nov 2020 18:16:00 -0700, you wrote:
>
>> My HDHR suddenly stopped working on Myth. It is not the startup race
>> condition problem, because I have applied Stephen's fix and restarting the
>> backend doesn't help. Setup does not show an IP address for the HDHR as it
>> should according to the screenshot in the wiki. The HDHR works on other
>> devices. How to troubleshoot?
> How is the HDHR connected to your network? Is it on the same subnet
> as the MythTV box and the other devices that still work with it? Is
> it pingable from the MythTV box? Does the hdhomerun_config utility
> not see it - is that what you mean by "setup"? Does the MythTV box
> have a network connection still?

High probability that the power supply failed. Early units were notorious for this.

I had two original HDHRs (this is the model with two separate inputs) have their power supplies fail.

Re: HDHR failing [ In reply to ]
> On 13 Nov 2020, at 9:16 am, DryHeat122 <dryheat122@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> My HDHR suddenly stopped working on Myth. It is not the startup race condition problem, because I have applied Stephen's fix and restarting the backend doesn't help. Setup does not show an IP address for the HDHR as it should according to the screenshot in the wiki. The HDHR works on other devices. How to troubleshoot?

Hi my input is general, not specific ...

If other devices work the device is working.
If you cannot see an ip ... then any of the following may apply
* The HDHR is not on the same network
* Your backend has a firewall that prevents the HDHR being seen
* Your backend has faulty network hardware
* You have configured your HDHR to another network to your backend

Start with ping and nmap. Post more info to help anyone who is trying to help.
Your current post is "something is wrong somewhere. please help" <smile>

James
Re: HDHR failing [ In reply to ]
> On 13 Nov 2020, at 10:59 am, Douglas Peale <Douglas_Peale@Comcast.net> wrote:
>
> High probability that the power supply failed. Early units were notorious for this.
>
> I had two original HDHRs (this is the model with two separate inputs) have their power supplies fail.

Douglas I don't mean to be rude, but if other devices work then this info is white noise.
James
Re: HDHR failing [ In reply to ]

> Hi my input is general, not specific ...
>
> If other devices work the device is working.
> If you cannot see an ip ... then any of the following may apply
> * The HDHR is not on the same network
> * Your backend has a firewall that prevents the HDHR being seen
> * Your backend has faulty network hardware
> * You have configured your HDHR to another network to your backend
>
> Start with ping and nmap. Post more info to help anyone who is trying to
> help.
> Your current post is "something is wrong somewhere. please help" <smile>

..or you could have a faulty Ethernet cable/connector or network switch.
To know how to troubleshoot this you need to understand your network a bit.

How is your backend connected to the HDHR? Wi-Fi or wired? What other
things are on the network?

What IP address do the HDHR and mythbackend have, and how are they
assigned? They can be manually assigned or they can pick them up from a
device running DHCP (usually either a wifi access point or your ISP's
broadband modem/gateway).

Once you (and we) understand your network then the troubleshooting can
start.

Good Luck

Re: HDHR failing [ In reply to ]
Wait what startup race condition? I did try to search. Unfortunately
gossamer-threads mythtv-users archive is redirecting.

Re: HDHR failing [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 1:17 PM Jon Boehm <jon.s.boehm@gmail.com> wrote:

> Wait what startup race condition? I did try to search. Unfortunately
> gossamer-threads mythtv-users archive is redirecting.

from the wiki at https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Ubuntu
about half way down is a link:
https://lists.archive.carbon60.com/mythtv/users/625986#625986

Currently there is something wrong with GT.net website that is triggering a
security fault on Google Chrome. I have to ignore everytime I go there.

here is what Stephen has to say at that link:

The fix is a bit complicated - you have to make a systemd unit that
tests for the Ethernet interface actually being up and able to pass
traffic, and then have mythbackend wait on that unit before it is
started. The tools to do this are on my web server. If you are not
running a server version of Ubuntu and have not disabled
NetworkManager, run the following commands to set it all up. Watch
out for line wrapping - my email client does that with longer lines
such as the wget commands, so the wget and the URL after it should be
on one line.

sudo su
cd /usr/local/bin
wget http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/wait-until-pingable.py
chmod u=rwx,g=r,o=r wait-until-pingable.py
systemctl enable NetworkManager-wait-online.service
systemctl start NetworkManager-wait-online.service
cd /etc/systemd/system
mkdir mythtv-backend.service.d
chmod u=rwx,g=rx,o=rx mythtv-backend.service.d
cd mythtv-backend.service.d
wget
http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/mythtv-backend-wait-until-pingable.conf
chmod u=rw,g=r,o=r mythtv-backend-wait-until-pingable.conf
cd ..
wget http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/local-network-pingable.service
chmod u=rw,g=r,o=r local-network-pingable.service

Here you will need to change the text in
local-network-pingable.service where it says "switch.jsw.gen.nz" and
replace that with the IP address or DNS name of your first network
tuner (if the tuner is pingable), or otherwise something on your
network such as your switch or router that is normally pingable when
your MythTV box is booting.

Use nano or your favourite editor:

nano local-network-pingable.service

Then save the change and exit from nano or your editor and do these
commands:

systemctl enable local-network-pingable.service
systemctl start local-network-pingable.service
systemctl status local-network-pingable.service

The systemctl status command should show that the
local-network-pingable.service has started and the ping worked. If
not, fix that before proceeding. Then do these commands:

systemctl daemon-reload
exit

After that, on boot mythbackend will wait for either the ping to work,
or the 30 second timeout specified in the
local-network-pingable.service file. If you want to change that
timeout, it is the "30" after the ping address.

Jim A
Re: HDHR failing [ In reply to ]
It's kind of bizarre. It was working fine with Myth, then stopped
working. This happened right after my cable modem required a restart. I
do have a firewall but it allows anything from the subnet. The HDHR is on
the same subnet. I can ping it from the Myth box. I don't think it's the
power supply because I can access it from other devices, my Windows box, my
Roku, another "smart" TV.

Re: HDHR failing [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Nov 13, 2020, 3:07 AM David Watkins <watkinshome@gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]

> ..or you could have a faulty Ethernet cable/connector or network switch.
> To know how to troubleshoot this you need to understand your network a bit.

Possible, but everything was working fine for a couple months then stopped
working, and it's only mythbackend that can't access it.

> How is your backend connected to the HDHR? Wi-Fi or wired? What other
> things are on the network?

Both are wired. Other things on the network are the normal things, a
desktop, a couple phones, a few echos, some smart switches.

> What IP address do the HDHR and mythbackend have, and how are they
> assigned? They can be manually assigned or they can pick them up from a
> device running DHCP (usually either a wifi access point or your ISP's
> broadband modem/gateway).

Backend has a static IP (198.168.1.200) HDHR has a DHCP address
(198.168.1.42, currently).

One sort of odd thing is that the HDHR is not showing up on the client list
on my router. However, like I said it works with other devices, I can ping
it from the backend, and nmap shows it's up, connected, and working fine.
Re: HDHR failing [ In reply to ]
On 11/13/20 6:46 PM, DryHeat122 wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 13, 2020, 3:07 AM David Watkins <watkinshome@gmail.com
> <mailto:watkinshome@gmail.com>> wrote:
> [snip]
>

> ..or you could have a faulty Ethernet cable/connector or network
> switch.  To know how to troubleshoot this you need to understand
> your network a bit.
>

> Possible, but everything was working fine for a couple months then
> stopped working, and it's only mythbackend that can't access it.
>

> How is your backend connected to the HDHR?  Wi-Fi or wired?  What
> other things are on the network?
>

> Both are wired.  Other things on the network are the normal things, a
> desktop, a couple phones, a few echos, some smart switches.
>

> What IP address do the HDHR and mythbackend have, and how are they
> assigned?  They can be manually assigned or they can pick them up
> from a device running DHCP (usually either a wifi access point or
> your ISP's broadband modem/gateway).
>

> Backend has a static IP (198.168.1.200) HDHR has a DHCP address
> (198.168.1.42, currently).
>
> One sort of odd thing is that the HDHR is not showing up on the client
> list on my router.  However, like I said it works with other devices,
> I can ping it from the backend, and nmap shows it's up, connected, and
> working fine.

I am not sure if this matters. Did you check backend setup on input
configuration part? May be backend is hardwired to old DHCP address of
the HDHR?

Ramesh

Re: HDHR failing [ In reply to ]
> On 14 Nov 2020, at 8:23 am, DryHeat122 <dryheat122@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It's kind of bizarre. It was working fine with Myth, then stopped working. This happened right after my cable modem required a restart. I do have a firewall but it allows anything from the subnet. The HDHR is on the same subnet. I can ping it from the Myth box. I don't think it's the power supply because I can access it from other devices, my Windows box, my Roku, another "smart" TV.
>
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 3:07 AM David Watkins <watkinshome@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hi my input is general, not specific ...
>
> If other devices work the device is working.
> If you cannot see an ip ... then any of the following may apply
> * The HDHR is not on the same network
> * Your backend has a firewall that prevents the HDHR being seen
> * Your backend has faulty network hardware
> * You have configured your HDHR to another network to your backend
>
> Start with ping and nmap. Post more info to help anyone who is trying to help.
> Your current post is "something is wrong somewhere. please help" <smile>
>

> ..or you could have a faulty Ethernet cable/connector or network switch. To know how to troubleshoot this you need to understand your network a bit.
>
> How is your backend connected to the HDHR? Wi-Fi or wired? What other things are on the network?
>
> What IP address do the HDHR and mythbackend have, and how are they assigned? They can be manually assigned or they can pick them up from a device running DHCP (usually either a wifi access point or your ISP's broadband modem/gateway).
>
> Once you (and we) understand your network then the troubleshooting can start.

Check that your mythbox AND hdpr have not been given an address that myth has not been configured to use.

IE before modem boot (say) mythbox 192.168.0.20 and hdpr 192.168.0.21 mythtv configured for 192.168.0.21
after modem boot (say) mythbox 10.0.0.20 hdpr 10.0.0.21 but mythtv configured for 192.168.0.21

as an aside, typically,

[the world]——[cable modem]=======[mythbox]======[hdpr]====== other devices
nat (say) 192.168.0.20

Then you do not need any firewall on mythbox
RFCs say no router on internet may route a private address (192.168.x.y, 10.x.y.z etc)
cable modem will send traffic to mythbox only for port forwards

So if mythbox has a private address you do not need a firewall
if mythbox does have a real ip then you do (and you can configure cable modem like this)
the only reason to have cable modem enable a firewall is to stop infected (windoze) machines sending OUT naughty stuff.

If you are using cable-modem firewall it will have no effect on myth
If you are using a firewall on mythbox then turn it off (that will make your troubleshooting one step easier

James
Re: HDHR failing [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 13 Nov 2020 17:46:02 -0700, you wrote:

>On Fri, Nov 13, 2020, 3:07 AM David Watkins <watkinshome@gmail.com> wrote:
>[snip]
>

>> ..or you could have a faulty Ethernet cable/connector or network switch.
>> To know how to troubleshoot this you need to understand your network a bit.
>>

>Possible, but everything was working fine for a couple months then stopped
>working, and it's only mythbackend that can't access it.
>

>> How is your backend connected to the HDHR? Wi-Fi or wired? What other
>> things are on the network?
>>

>Both are wired. Other things on the network are the normal things, a
>desktop, a couple phones, a few echos, some smart switches.
>

>> What IP address do the HDHR and mythbackend have, and how are they
>> assigned? They can be manually assigned or they can pick them up from a
>> device running DHCP (usually either a wifi access point or your ISP's
>> broadband modem/gateway).
>>

>Backend has a static IP (198.168.1.200) HDHR has a DHCP address
>(198.168.1.42, currently).
>
>One sort of odd thing is that the HDHR is not showing up on the client list
>on my router. However, like I said it works with other devices, I can ping
>it from the backend, and nmap shows it's up, connected, and working fine.

Have you set up the router to manually assign the HDHR's IP address?
If you have, that causes some routers to not list the manually
assigned IP addresses in the list of DHCP leases - they only list the
dynamically assigned addresses coming from the IP address pool. If
the IP address is fully dynamic and assigned from the pool, that is a
bad idea as if it gets a new IP address mythbackend will likely never
find it again until mythbackend is restarted. Mythbackend only finds
and initialises tuners at startup and has no mechanism for restarting
them in the case of problems. So it would be a good idea to assign it
a manual address now if you need to. Make sure the address is outside
the DHCP pool range - using one that is inside the pool range can
cause two devices to get the same IP address. To get the HDHR to see
the manually assigned address, you may need to cycle its power and the
router's power as they can both remember the old IP address assignment
and may keep using it in preference to the new setting until they are
forced to forget it.

If that does not get things working, then ping the HDHR from the
MythTV box to get its IP address known to that PC, then use the "arp
-a" command to find the MAC address of the HDHR. Or maybe the MAC
address is on the HDHR's label. On the MythTV box, install tshark if
necessary:

apt install tshark

and then run this command:

sudo tshark -tad -P -w eth0.pcap -i eth0 ether host <MAC address of
HDHR>

Adjust the "eth0" bits to the name of your Ethernet port if necessary.
Ping the HDHR again and check that tshark shows the ping.

Then restart mythbackend and tshark should see all the traffic it does
with the HDHR (if any). That will also be stored to the eth0.pcap
file which can be loaded into Wireshark on any PC that has it
installed. You can also make it available for us to look at if you
need help with working out what is going on.
Re: HDHR failing [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Nov 13, 2020, 7:38 PM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:

> So if mythbox has a private address you do not need a firewall
> if mythbox does have a real ip then you do (and you can configure cable
> modem like this)
> the only reason to have cable modem enable a firewall is to stop infected
> (windoze) machines sending OUT naughty stuff.

Thanks, that's good to know. I wasn't sure so I enabled the firewall. The
mythbox is on a private network so I will just shut off the firewall and
see if that helps.

Re: HDHR failing [ In reply to ]
On 11/13/2020 7:46 PM, DryHeat122 wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 13, 2020, 3:07 AM David Watkins <watkinshome@gmail.com <mailto:watkinshome@gmail.com>> wrote:
> [snip]
>

> ..or you could have a faulty Ethernet cable/connector or network switch.  To know how to troubleshoot this you need to understand your network a bit.
>

> Possible, but everything was working fine for a couple months then stopped working, and it's only mythbackend that can't access it.
>

> How is your backend connected to the HDHR?  Wi-Fi or wired?  What other things are on the network?
>

> Both are wired.  Other things on the network are the normal things, a desktop, a couple phones, a few echos, some smart switches.
>

> What IP address do the HDHR and mythbackend have, and how are they assigned?  They can be manually assigned or they can pick them up from a device running DHCP (usually either a wifi access point or your ISP's broadband modem/gateway).
>

> Backend has a static IP (198.168.1.200) HDHR has a DHCP address (198.168.1.42, currently).
>
> One sort of odd thing is that the HDHR is not showing up on the client list on my router.  However, like I said it works with other devices, I can ping it from the backend, and nmap shows it's up, connected, and working fine.

If your cable modem is providing DHCP services to your network and you haven't power cycled your HDHR since the cable modem was restarted, then power cycling the HDHR will allow it to renew its DHCP lease with the cable modem, and might help mythbackend find the HDHR. I would first power cycle the HDHR, then restart the mythtv-backend service.
Re: HDHR failing [ In reply to ]
On 14 Nov 2020, at 1:38 pm, faginbagin <mythtv@hbuus.com> wrote:

> On 11/13/2020 7:46 PM, DryHeat122 wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 13, 2020, 3:07 AM David Watkins <watkinshome@gmail.com <mailto:watkinshome@gmail.com>> wrote:
>> [snip]
>>

>> ..or you could have a faulty Ethernet cable/connector or network switch. To know how to troubleshoot this you need to understand your network a bit.
>>

>> Possible, but everything was working fine for a couple months then stopped working, and it's only mythbackend that can't access it.
>>

>> How is your backend connected to the HDHR? Wi-Fi or wired? What other things are on the network?
>>

>> Both are wired. Other things on the network are the normal things, a desktop, a couple phones, a few echos, some smart switches.
>>

>> What IP address do the HDHR and mythbackend have, and how are they assigned? They can be manually assigned or they can pick them up from a device running DHCP (usually either a wifi access point or your ISP's broadband modem/gateway).
>>

>> Backend has a static IP (198.168.1.200) HDHR has a DHCP address (198.168.1.42, currently).
>>
>> One sort of odd thing is that the HDHR is not showing up on the client list on my router. However, like I said it works with other devices, I can ping it from the backend, and nmap shows it's up, connected, and working fine.
>
> If your cable modem is providing DHCP services to your network and you haven't power cycled your HDHR since the cable modem was restarted, then power cycling the HDHR will allow it to renew its DHCP lease with the cable modem, and might help mythbackend find the HDHR. I would first power cycle the HDHR, then restart the mythtv-backend service.

I don't dispute, but. I would like to ask why. Thw 'windows' solution of reboot palls.

You reboot the modem
The HDPR has a valid ip. (you can ping it)
At some point the lease expires, so the HDPR does a REQ for the same ip.
Either the modem ACKs and grants it or NAKs, some further negotiation happens and the HDPR gets an ip.
In what way is the mythbox privy to the HDPR-modem transactions.

what I'd do is this

Other devices work.
Run other SW on your myth box. I can't recall what I used, I definitely used something, maybe a browser, maybe VLC.
If that works you have a myth problem, if it works not you have a conectivity issue.

James
Re: HDHR failing [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 7:55 PM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> and then run this command:
>
> sudo tshark -tad -P -w eth0.pcap -i eth0 ether host <MAC address of
> HDHR>
>
> Adjust the "eth0" bits to the name of your Ethernet port if necessary.
> Ping the HDHR again and check that tshark shows the ping.
>
> Then restart mythbackend and tshark should see all the traffic it does
> with the HDHR (if any). That will also be stored to the eth0.pcap
> file which can be loaded into Wireshark on any PC that has it
> installed. You can also make it available for us to look at if you
> need help with working out what is going on.

tshark returns the following after reboot. I do need help working out
what's going on:
11 5.004453703 Silicond_06:68:bf ? Giga-Byt_21:c1:0c ARP 60 Who has
192.168.1.200? Tell 192.168.1.42
12 5.004462014 Giga-Byt_21:c1:0c ? Silicond_06:68:bf ARP 42
192.168.1.200 is at 00:24:1d:21:c1:0c
13 5.178415918 Giga-Byt_21:c1:0c ? Silicond_06:68:bf ARP 42 Who has
192.168.1.42? Tell 192.168.1.200
14 5.178635208 Silicond_06:68:bf ? Giga-Byt_21:c1:0c ARP 60 192.168.1.42
is at 00:18:dd:06:68:bf

Since this capture continued after a reboot, I assume I need to stop it.
How do I do so?
Re: HDHR failing [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 11:15 PM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:

> what I'd do is this
>
> Other devices work.
> Run other SW on your myth box. I can't recall what I used, I definitely
> used something, maybe a browser, maybe VLC.
> If that works you have a myth problem, if it works not you have a
> conectivity issue.

None of that worked. What did work is that I noticed that (I guess after
the modem reset) the HDHR got assigned 192.168.1.42, whereas when I
installed it in myth setup the address was 192.168.1.41. So I set up a
static IP for the HDHR with that address, and voila! It works with myth.
So somehow it myth was not detecting the new dynamic IP on reboot as I
think it's supposed to do. Maybe the tshark output I sent Stephen will
offer some clues.
Re: HDHR failing [ In reply to ]
> On 15 Nov 2020, at 7:49 am, DryHeat122 <dryheat122@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> what I'd do is this
>
> Other devices work.
> Run other SW on your myth box. I can't recall what I used, I definitely used something, maybe a browser, maybe VLC.
> If that works you have a myth problem, if it works not you have a conectivity issue.
>
> None of that worked. What did work is that I noticed that (I guess after the modem reset) the HDHR got assigned 192.168.1.42, whereas when I installed it in myth setup the address was 192.168.1.41. So I set up a static IP for the HDHR with that address, and voila! It works with myth. So somehow it myth was not detecting the new dynamic IP on reboot as I think it's supposed to do. Maybe the tshark output I sent Stephen will offer some clues.

Unless there is something I’ve not understood then myth will NOT auto-config the IP of the tuners.
DHCP is really useful but for myth you really want to have fixed IPs. The mess in the DB of a frontend that over years (for whatever reason) gets new IPs, each time you get a new IP you get an entry for that host, effectivly a new frontend, and loose any settings that you have configured for the ‘last frontend'
James
Re: HDHR failing [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 15 Nov 2020 10:09:57 +0800, you wrote:

>> On 15 Nov 2020, at 7:49 am, DryHeat122 <dryheat122@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> what I'd do is this
>>
>> Other devices work.
>> Run other SW on your myth box. I can't recall what I used, I definitely used something, maybe a browser, maybe VLC.
>> If that works you have a myth problem, if it works not you have a conectivity issue.
>>
>> None of that worked. What did work is that I noticed that (I guess after the modem reset) the HDHR got assigned 192.168.1.42, whereas when I installed it in myth setup the address was 192.168.1.41. So I set up a static IP for the HDHR with that address, and voila! It works with myth. So somehow it myth was not detecting the new dynamic IP on reboot as I think it's supposed to do. Maybe the tshark output I sent Stephen will offer some clues.
>
>Unless there is something I?ve not understood then myth will NOT auto-config the IP of the tuners.
>DHCP is really useful but for myth you really want to have fixed IPs. The mess in the DB of a frontend that over years (for whatever reason) gets new IPs, each time you get a new IP you get an entry for that host, effectivly a new frontend, and loose any settings that you have configured for the ?last frontend'
>James

It is not as bad as that. The frontend settings are stored under a
hostname in the database, not an IP address. Changing the IP address
does not change the hostname, so you still get the same frontend
settings. Only if you move a frontend to a different box with a
different hostname will it get different settings. And you can get it
to keep on using the same settings even then by putting the old
hostname in the LocalHostName field in your config.xml file.

But you are right that if you put an IP address in the tuner settings
for the HDHR, and the DHCP assignment for the HDHR changes the
address, then the tuner will be unable to be found. But I thought
that was fixed by not using IP addresses for HDHRs and instead
identifying them using their device ID, which does not change when the
IP address changes. If the device ID is used, MythTV should be doing
a broadcast messsage with that ID and asking the HDHR matching that ID
to reply. That is how I understand the "hdhomerun_config discover"
command works - it broadcasts a message for all HDHRs to reply and
picks up their device IDs from the replies. After that, you can use
the device ID to connect to each HDHR individually.

So I think that it is a bad idea to use IP addresses in the MythTV
database for HDHR tuners unless you have set the HDHRs up with
manually assigned IP addresses in the DHCP settings, so the IP
addresses can not change. Personally, I prefer to do manual DHCP
address assignments for all the devices that I have on my network, so
that when I am using tshark or Wireshark to look at network packets, I
can tell exactly where they are coming from. And I also run my own
DNS server, so making sure the IP addresses can not change means I can
also have DNS names for all the devices, and tshark and Wireshark can
then display the names instead of IP addresses.
Re: HDHR failing [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 14 Nov 2020 16:43:25 -0700, you wrote:

>On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 7:55 PM Stephen Worthington <
>stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>

>> and then run this command:
>>
>> sudo tshark -tad -P -w eth0.pcap -i eth0 ether host <MAC address of
>> HDHR>
>>
>> Adjust the "eth0" bits to the name of your Ethernet port if necessary.
>> Ping the HDHR again and check that tshark shows the ping.
>>
>> Then restart mythbackend and tshark should see all the traffic it does
>> with the HDHR (if any). That will also be stored to the eth0.pcap
>> file which can be loaded into Wireshark on any PC that has it
>> installed. You can also make it available for us to look at if you
>> need help with working out what is going on.
>>

>tshark returns the following after reboot. I do need help working out
>what's going on:
> 11 5.004453703 Silicond_06:68:bf ? Giga-Byt_21:c1:0c ARP 60 Who has
>192.168.1.200? Tell 192.168.1.42
> 12 5.004462014 Giga-Byt_21:c1:0c ? Silicond_06:68:bf ARP 42
>192.168.1.200 is at 00:24:1d:21:c1:0c
> 13 5.178415918 Giga-Byt_21:c1:0c ? Silicond_06:68:bf ARP 42 Who has
>192.168.1.42? Tell 192.168.1.200
> 14 5.178635208 Silicond_06:68:bf ? Giga-Byt_21:c1:0c ARP 60 192.168.1.42
>is at 00:18:dd:06:68:bf
>
>Since this capture continued after a reboot, I assume I need to stop it.
>How do I do so?

Control-C stops tshark, and most command line programs.

The log posted probably does not show the start of the Ethernet
traffic, as the first packet you posted (packet 11) is an ARP request
broadcast from the HDHR trying to find the MythTV box's IP address.
That is unexpected - it suggests that the HDHR was talking to the
MythTV box not long ago and lost the connection and is trying to
re-establish it. But as I understand things, it is the MythTV box
that connects to the HDHR, not the other way around, and I would have
expected the MythTV box to be trying to find the HDHR. Packet 12 is
the ARP reply from the MythTV box (using a Gigabyte motherboard
Ethernet port, from the MAC address).

Then we get two packets more like I would have expected, where the
MythTV box does an ARP request to find the HDHR's IP address in packet
13, and gets a reply in packet 14. Except packet 11 has already
provided that IP address, and packet 13 has the MAC address of the
HDHR in it, rather than being a broadcast packet with an all FF MAC
address that tshark would not have captured.

If there was no more traffic captured after that, then what was
captured does not really help. We can see that the MythTV box and the
HDHR both know each other's IP addresses and should therefore be able
to talk to each other, but that is about all. There is nothing to
explain why they are not talking to each other.
Re: HDHR failing [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Nov 14, 2020, 7:10 PM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:

> Unless there is something I’ve not understood then myth will NOT
> auto-config the IP of the tuners.
> DHCP is really useful but for myth you really want to have fixed IPs. The
> mess in the DB of a frontend that over years (for whatever reason) gets new
> IPs, each time you get a new IP you get an entry for that host, effectivly
> a new frontend, and loose any settings that you have configured for the
> ‘last frontend'
> James

That makes a lot of sense. One way or another myth seems to expect a
consistent IP, so the moral of the story is set up tuners with fixed IP
addresses. If you don't and have the same problem as me, try to restore the
old IP address. If you can't do that then I suppose you're forced to delete
and re-add the tuner.

Re: HDHR failing [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Nov 14, 2020, 8:20 PM Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Nov 2020 16:43:25 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 7:55 PM Stephen Worthington <
> >stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
> >

> >> and then run this command:
> >>
> >> sudo tshark -tad -P -w eth0.pcap -i eth0 ether host <MAC address of
> >> HDHR>
> >>
> >> Adjust the "eth0" bits to the name of your Ethernet port if necessary.
> >> Ping the HDHR again and check that tshark shows the ping.
> >>
> >> Then restart mythbackend and tshark should see all the traffic it does
> >> with the HDHR (if any). That will also be stored to the eth0.pcap
> >> file which can be loaded into Wireshark on any PC that has it
> >> installed. You can also make it available for us to look at if you
> >> need help with working out what is going on.
> >>

> >tshark returns the following after reboot. I do need help working out
> >what's going on:
> > 11 5.004453703 Silicond_06:68:bf ? Giga-Byt_21:c1:0c ARP 60 Who has
> >192.168.1.200? Tell 192.168.1.42
> > 12 5.004462014 Giga-Byt_21:c1:0c ? Silicond_06:68:bf ARP 42
> >192.168.1.200 is at 00:24:1d:21:c1:0c
> > 13 5.178415918 Giga-Byt_21:c1:0c ? Silicond_06:68:bf ARP 42 Who has
> >192.168.1.42? Tell 192.168.1.200
> > 14 5.178635208 Silicond_06:68:bf ? Giga-Byt_21:c1:0c ARP 60
> 192.168.1.42
> >is at 00:18:dd:06:68:bf
> >
> >Since this capture continued after a reboot, I assume I need to stop it.
> >How do I do so?
>
> Control-C stops tshark, and most command line programs.
>
> The log posted probably does not show the start of the Ethernet
> traffic, as the first packet you posted (packet 11) is an ARP request
> broadcast from the HDHR trying to find the MythTV box's IP address.
> That is unexpected - it suggests that the HDHR was talking to the
> MythTV box not long ago and lost the connection and is trying to
> re-establish it. But as I understand things, it is the MythTV box
> that connects to the HDHR, not the other way around, and I would have
> expected the MythTV box to be trying to find the HDHR. Packet 12 is
> the ARP reply from the MythTV box (using a Gigabyte motherboard
> Ethernet port, from the MAC address).
>
> Then we get two packets more like I would have expected, where the
> MythTV box does an ARP request to find the HDHR's IP address in packet
> 13, and gets a reply in packet 14. Except packet 11 has already
> provided that IP address, and packet 13 has the MAC address of the
> HDHR in it, rather than being a broadcast packet with an all FF MAC
> address that tshark would not have captured.
>
> If there was no more traffic captured after that, then what was
> captured does not really help. We can see that the MythTV box and the
> HDHR both know each other's IP addresses and should therefore be able
> to talk to each other, but that is about all. There is nothing to
> explain why they are not talking to each other.

I guess what I'm asking is this. Issuing the tshark command seems to have
initiated a process that restarts after reboot. Otherwise I could not have
seen the boot-up traffic. Don't I now need to cancel the restart going
forward? I don't want to sniff every packet from now on. Or does it maybe
only restart once?

Re: HDHR failing [ In reply to ]
> On 15 Nov 2020, at 11:17 am, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> Unless there is something I?e not understood then myth will NOT auto-config the IP of the tuners.
>> DHCP is really useful but for myth you really want to have fixed IPs. The mess in the DB of a frontend that over years (for whatever reason) gets new IPs, each time you get a new IP you get an entry for that host, effectivly a new frontend, and loose any settings that you have configured for the ?ast frontend'
>> James
>
> It is not as bad as that. The frontend settings are stored under a
> hostname in the database, not an IP address. Changing the IP address
> does not change the hostname
[snip]

Silly Moi

I use dnsmasq so each IP IS a different hostname.
Sorry
James

Re: HDHR failing [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 14 Nov 2020 20:37:47 -0700, you wrote:

>On Sat, Nov 14, 2020, 8:20 PM Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz>
>wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 14 Nov 2020 16:43:25 -0700, you wrote:

>> >tshark returns the following after reboot. I do need help working out
>> >what's going on:
>> > 11 5.004453703 Silicond_06:68:bf ? Giga-Byt_21:c1:0c ARP 60 Who has
>> >192.168.1.200? Tell 192.168.1.42
>> > 12 5.004462014 Giga-Byt_21:c1:0c ? Silicond_06:68:bf ARP 42
>> >192.168.1.200 is at 00:24:1d:21:c1:0c
>> > 13 5.178415918 Giga-Byt_21:c1:0c ? Silicond_06:68:bf ARP 42 Who has
>> >192.168.1.42? Tell 192.168.1.200
>> > 14 5.178635208 Silicond_06:68:bf ? Giga-Byt_21:c1:0c ARP 60
>> 192.168.1.42
>> >is at 00:18:dd:06:68:bf
>> >
>> >Since this capture continued after a reboot, I assume I need to stop it.
>> >How do I do so?
>>
>> Control-C stops tshark, and most command line programs.
>>
>> The log posted probably does not show the start of the Ethernet
>> traffic, as the first packet you posted (packet 11) is an ARP request
>> broadcast from the HDHR trying to find the MythTV box's IP address.
>> That is unexpected - it suggests that the HDHR was talking to the
>> MythTV box not long ago and lost the connection and is trying to
>> re-establish it. But as I understand things, it is the MythTV box
>> that connects to the HDHR, not the other way around, and I would have
>> expected the MythTV box to be trying to find the HDHR. Packet 12 is
>> the ARP reply from the MythTV box (using a Gigabyte motherboard
>> Ethernet port, from the MAC address).
>>
>> Then we get two packets more like I would have expected, where the
>> MythTV box does an ARP request to find the HDHR's IP address in packet
>> 13, and gets a reply in packet 14. Except packet 11 has already
>> provided that IP address, and packet 13 has the MAC address of the
>> HDHR in it, rather than being a broadcast packet with an all FF MAC
>> address that tshark would not have captured.
>>
>> If there was no more traffic captured after that, then what was
>> captured does not really help. We can see that the MythTV box and the
>> HDHR both know each other's IP addresses and should therefore be able
>> to talk to each other, but that is about all. There is nothing to
>> explain why they are not talking to each other.
>>

>I guess what I'm asking is this. Issuing the tshark command seems to have
>initiated a process that restarts after reboot. Otherwise I could not have
>seen the boot-up traffic. Don't I now need to cancel the restart going
>forward? I don't want to sniff every packet from now on. Or does it maybe
>only restart once?

No, tshark does not restart on reboot. There is no background
process, just tshark. It will only capture traffic while it is
running. The traffic it captured looks to have been from mythbackend,
but it will have been current traffic, not from boot time.