Mailing List Archive

100% backend CPU usage
Dear list,

On a couple of occasions I have woken up to a backend whose CPU usage
had been at 100% for the past several hours. Recordings had started but
had not finished at their scheduled times leaving me with huge recording
files. Restarting the backend was enough to resurrect the machine.

I looked at the logs, which were also large but not explosively so, but
it was still hard to discern what had actually happened. Still, I
encountered many entries like this:

mythbackend: mythbackend[29881]: E CoreContext mainserver.cpp:3249
(HandleAddChildInput) MainServer: HandleAddChildInput: Failed to add
child to input 6

That input corresponds with one of 4 HDHR DVB-C tuners.

I noticed that I had misconfigured it by setting maxrecordings to 6. I
have now set it to a more reasonable 2 and will monitor over the next
week to see whether the issue returns.

HTH, Jan
Re: 100% backend CPU usage [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 7 Nov 2020 at 09:19, Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> On a couple of occasions I have woken up to a backend whose CPU usage
> had been at 100% for the past several hours. Recordings had started but
> had not finished at their scheduled times leaving me with huge recording
> files. Restarting the backend was enough to resurrect the machine.
>
> I looked at the logs, which were also large but not explosively so, but
> it was still hard to discern what had actually happened. Still, I
> encountered many entries like this:
>
> mythbackend: mythbackend[29881]: E CoreContext mainserver.cpp:3249
> (HandleAddChildInput) MainServer: HandleAddChildInput: Failed to add
> child to input 6
>
> That input corresponds with one of 4 HDHR DVB-C tuners.
>
> I noticed that I had misconfigured it by setting maxrecordings to 6. I
> have now set it to a more reasonable 2 and will monitor over the next
> week to see whether the issue returns.
>
> Hi Jan,

As I understand it setting the maxrecordings to 6 is not a misconfiguration.
There could be another misconfiguration or it can be you found a real bug.
I suggest you make a ticket for this and then please attach the complete
mythbackend log that contains the error messages.
Also the database table capturecard, you can produce this with the
following mysql command:
select * from capturecard;
and attach this also.

Thanks,
Klaas.
Re: 100% backend CPU usage [ In reply to ]
On 07/11/2020 10:25, Klaas de Waal wrote:
> As I understand it setting the maxrecordings to 6 is not a misconfiguration.
> There could be another misconfiguration or it can be you found a real bug.
> I suggest you make a ticket for this and then please attach the complete
> mythbackend log that contains the error messages.
> Also the database table capturecard, you can produce this with the
> following mysql command:
> select * from capturecard;
> and attach this also.

https://code.mythtv.org/trac/newticket says "TICKET_CREATE privileges
are required to perform this operation. You don't have the required
permissions."
Re: 100% backend CPU usage [ In reply to ]
On 07/11/2020 13:31, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
> On 07/11/2020 10:25, Klaas de Waal wrote:
>> As I understand it setting the maxrecordings to 6 is not a misconfiguration.
>> There could be another misconfiguration or it can be you found a real bug.
>> I suggest you make a ticket for this and then please attach the complete
>> mythbackend log that contains the error messages.
>> Also the database table capturecard, you can produce this with the
>> following mysql command:
>> select * from capturecard;
>> and attach this also.
>
> https://code.mythtv.org/trac/newticket says "TICKET_CREATE privileges
> are required to perform this operation. You don't have the required
> permissions."

Seems that the MythTV project no longer uses Trac for issues. I'm
opening a ticket on github now.

I'll see if I can modify the wiki's title page to clarify where bug
reports are expected to be created.
Re: 100% backend CPU usage [ In reply to ]

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues/280