building?

If myth doesn't handle these, has anyone had any success applying some
sort of OCR to generationg srt files?
Re: dvd subtitles ignored [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 1 Nov 2020 at 15:36, Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net> wrote:

> I have some mkv files that include dvd subtitle streams. Mythfrontend
> ignores them. Is that expected? Or might I have missed an option when
> building?
>
> If myth doesn't handle these, has anyone had any success applying some
> sort of OCR to generationg srt files?

Support for dvd subtitle streams has been around forever.

Do you have some -v playback logs or maybe a sample to test?

Regards
Mark
Re: dvd subtitles ignored [ In reply to ]
> On 2 Nov 2020, at 5:36 pm, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have some mkv files that include dvd subtitle streams. Mythfrontend
>> ignores them. Is that expected? Or might I have missed an option when
>> building?
>>
>> If myth doesn't handle these, has anyone had any success applying some
>> sort of OCR to generationg srt files?
>
> Support for dvd subtitle streams has been around forever.
>
> Do you have some -v playback logs or maybe a sample to test?

It may have been around forever but you still need the libs and a fair bit of setup. Sofar I have not got it to work
James
Re: dvd subtitles ignored [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2 Nov 2020 at 11:08, James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:

> > On 2 Nov 2020, at 5:36 pm, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I have some mkv files that include dvd subtitle streams. Mythfrontend
> >> ignores them. Is that expected? Or might I have missed an option when
> >> building?
> >>
> >> If myth doesn't handle these, has anyone had any success applying some
> >> sort of OCR to generationg srt files?
> >
> > Support for dvd subtitle streams has been around forever.
> >
> > Do you have some -v playback logs or maybe a sample to test?
>
> It may have been around forever but you still need the libs and a fair bit of setup. Sofar I have not got it to work

James

No libraries are needed for dvd subtitles - and indeed no setup. What
isn't working?

Regards
Mark
Re: dvd subtitles ignored [ In reply to ]
On 02/11/2020 09:36, Mark Kendall wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Nov 2020 at 15:36, Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net> wrote:
>>
>> I have some mkv files that include dvd subtitle streams. Mythfrontend
>> ignores them. Is that expected? Or might I have missed an option when
>> building?
>>
>> If myth doesn't handle these, has anyone had any success applying some
>> sort of OCR to generationg srt files?
>
> Support for dvd subtitle streams has been around forever.
>
> Do you have some -v playback logs or maybe a sample to test?

Sorry Mark, ignore me. It's my being daft... again! I have a collection
of videos that ALL BUT ONE have dvd subtitles. I somehow chose just that
one to test in myth and then looked at many of the others with ffmpeg
before checking the one I'd actually tried to play.
Re: dvd subtitles ignored [ In reply to ]
> On 2 Nov 2020, at 8:45 pm, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> No libraries are needed for dvd subtitles - and indeed no setup. What
> isn't working?

Gee Mark
thanks
I have ‘Lion’ and I do not get the subtitles.
I need to watch with VLC to see them. Some while ago I tried to troublshoot and was pointed at (and I can’t recall name) libs that I needed. They did not help.

I assume the subtitle text is in ‘the same place’ as the recording. Certainly VLC finds it.

James
Re: dvd subtitles ignored [ In reply to ]
On 3 November 2020 01:46:49 GMT, James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:

>> On 2 Nov 2020, at 8:45 pm, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>>
>> No libraries are needed for dvd subtitles - and indeed no setup. What
>> isn't working?
>
>Gee Mark
>thanks
>I have ‘Lion’ and I do not get the subtitles.
>I need to watch with VLC to see them. Some while ago I tried to
>troublshoot and was pointed at (and I can’t recall name) libs that I
>needed. They did not help.
>
>I assume the subtitle text is in ‘the same place’ as the recording.
>Certainly VLC finds it.

Although I was mistaken on this occasion, I'm pretty certain that I've had occasions in the not distant past when myth showed no subtitles but other software did. This was when I was using v29. I believe I had occasions when v29 on my main front-end didn't show them but v31 running on Amazon fire did. Also leanfront did. I recall v29 recognising that subtitles were present, allowing them to be turned on, showing the message "888" but not then displaying anything. What version of myth are you using? Could you put a sample file somewhere from which it can be downloaded?
Re: dvd subtitles ignored [ In reply to ]
> On 3 Nov 2020, at 1:49 pm, Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net> wrote:
>

> On 3 November 2020 01:46:49 GMT, James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
>>

>>> On 2 Nov 2020, at 8:45 pm, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> No libraries are needed for dvd subtitles - and indeed no setup. What
>>> isn't working?
>>
>> Gee Mark
>> thanks
>> I have ‘Lion’ and I do not get the subtitles.
>> I need to watch with VLC to see them. Some while ago I tried to
>> troublshoot and was pointed at (and I can’t recall name) libs that I
>> needed. They did not help.
>>
>> I assume the subtitle text is in ‘the same place’ as the recording.
>> Certainly VLC finds it.
>
> Although I was mistaken on this occasion, I'm pretty certain that I've had occasions in the not distant past when myth showed no subtitles but other software did. This was when I was using v29. I believe I had occasions when v29 on my main front-end didn't show them but v31 running on Amazon fire did. Also leanfront did. I recall v29 recognising that subtitles were present, allowing them to be turned on, showing the message "888" but not then displaying anything. What version of myth are you using? Could you put a sample file somewhere from which it can be downloaded?

I put the video and srt file here
http://tigger.ws/lion/

VLC does play the subtitles
mythtv does not

The reason for avi container is my samsung TV choking on mp4s.

James

Re: dvd subtitles ignored [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 at 07:32, James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:

> I put the video and srt file here
> http://tigger.ws/lion/
>
> VLC does play the subtitles
> mythtv does not

James

I downloaded both files and put them in my Videos directory, ran
mythfrontend and scanned for changes.

Start playback and there is an option in the menu for Subtitles->Text
subtitles and they appear to work as expected (english subtitles for
what I assume is Bengali audio).

A few lines from the logs (mythfrontend -v vbi):

2020-11-03 08:02:39.054997 I [11644/11644] CoreContext
captions/textsubtitleparser.cpp:288:LoadSubtitles Preparing to load
subtitle file (/media/mark/4T_Media/Videos/Lion.srt)
2020-11-03 08:02:39.055012 I [11644/11644] CoreContext
captions/textsubtitleparser.cpp:310:LoadSubtitles Preparing to read
16782 subtitle bytes from /media/mark/4T_Media/Videos/Lion.srt
2020-11-03 08:02:39.055035 I [11644/11644] CoreContext
captions/textsubtitleparser.cpp:319:LoadSubtitles Finished reading
16782 subtitle bytes (requested 16782)
2020-11-03 08:02:39.055046 I [11644/11644] CoreContext
captions/textsubtitleparser.cpp:342:LoadSubtitles Opened subtitle
file '/media/mark/4T_Media/Videos/Lion.srt' with codec 'UTF-8'
2020-11-03 08:02:39.057290 I [11644/11644] CoreContext
captions/textsubtitleparser.cpp:378:LoadSubtitles Found 281 subtitles
in file '/media/mark/4T_Media/Videos/Lion.srt'

While I'm running master, I don't think anything has changed with .srt
subtitles for some time and I don't recall any external library
dependencies - but I would check the files are in the same directory
and have the same permissions.

Regards
Mark
Re: dvd subtitles ignored [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 15:31:17 +0800, you wrote:

>>> Gee Mark
>>> thanks
>>> I have ?Lion? and I do not get the subtitles.
>>> I need to watch with VLC to see them. Some while ago I tried to
>>> troublshoot and was pointed at (and I can?t recall name) libs that I
>>> needed. They did not help.
>>>
>>> I assume the subtitle text is in ?the same place? as the recording.
>>> Certainly VLC finds it.
>>
>> Although I was mistaken on this occasion, I'm pretty certain that I've had occasions in the not distant past when myth showed no subtitles but other software did. This was when I was using v29. I believe I had occasions when v29 on my main front-end didn't show them but v31 running on Amazon fire did. Also leanfront did. I recall v29 recognising that subtitles were present, allowing them to be turned on, showing the message "888" but not then displaying anything. What version of myth are you using? Could you put a sample file somewhere from which it can be downloaded?
>

>I put the video and srt file here
>http://tigger.ws/lion/
>
>VLC does play the subtitles
>mythtv does not
>
>The reason for avi container is my samsung TV choking on mp4s.
>
>James

I get subtitles on MythTV v31+fixes. In VLC it sees two sets of
subtitles for some reason, with no. 1 saying it is English, and no. 2
not saying what it is. But the no. 1 subtitles are just a single
digit "1". The no. 2 subtitles are valid English subtitles. In
MythTV it sees only one set of subtitles.
Re: dvd subtitles ignored [ In reply to ]
> On 3 Nov 2020, at 4:30 pm, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 15:31:17 +0800, you wrote:

>>> Although I was mistaken on this occasion, I'm pretty certain that I've had occasions in the not distant past when myth showed no subtitles but other software did. This was when I was using v29. I believe I had occasions when v29 on my main front-end didn't show them but v31 running on Amazon fire did. Also leanfront did. I recall v29 recognising that subtitles were present, allowing them to be turned on, showing the message "888" but not then displaying anything. What version of myth are you using? Could you put a sample file somewhere from which it can be downloaded?
>>

>> I put the video and srt file here
>> http://tigger.ws/lion/
>>
>> VLC does play the subtitles
>> mythtv does not
>>
>> The reason for avi container is my samsung TV choking on mp4s.
>>
>> James
>
> I get subtitles on MythTV v31+fixes. In VLC it sees two sets of
> subtitles for some reason, with no. 1 saying it is English, and no. 2
> not saying what it is. But the no. 1 subtitles are just a single
> digit "1". The no. 2 subtitles are valid English subtitles. In
> MythTV it sees only one set of subtitles.

I’ll spelunk to see if I can find anything

[sandypit] /home/jam [1001]% mythbackend --version
MythTV Version : v31.0-85-gd3088629de
MythTV Branch : fixes/31
Network Protocol : 91
Library API : 31.20200101-1
QT Version : 5.12.7
Options compiled in:
linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_backend using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_dvb using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_vbox using_ceton using_hdpvr using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libcec using_libcrypto using_libdns_sd using_libfftw3 using_libxml2 using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl using_egl using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus using_taglib using_v4l2 using_v4l2prime using_x11 using_libbluray_external using_xrandr using_profiletype using_systemd_notify using_systemd_journal using_drm using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_freetype2 using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_egl using_drm using_vaapi using_nvdec using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg using_libass using_libxml2

James

Re: dvd subtitles ignored [ In reply to ]
> On 3 Nov 2020, at 5:46 pm, James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:

>>> I put the video and srt file here
>>> http://tigger.ws/lion/
>>>
>>> VLC does play the subtitles
>>> mythtv does not
>>>
>>> The reason for avi container is my samsung TV choking on mp4s.
>>>
>>> James
>>
>> I get subtitles on MythTV v31+fixes. In VLC it sees two sets of
>> subtitles for some reason, with no. 1 saying it is English, and no. 2
>> not saying what it is. But the no. 1 subtitles are just a single
>> digit "1". The no. 2 subtitles are valid English subtitles. In
>> MythTV it sees only one set of subtitles.
>

> I’ll spelunk to see if I can find anything
>
> [sandypit] /home/jam [1001]% mythbackend --version
> Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
> MythTV Version : v31.0-85-gd3088629de
> MythTV Branch : fixes/31
> Network Protocol : 91
> Library API : 31.20200101-1
> QT Version : 5.12.7
> Options compiled in:
> linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_backend using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_dvb using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_vbox using_ceton using_hdpvr using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libcec using_libcrypto using_libdns_sd using_libfftw3 using_libxml2 using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl using_egl using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus using_taglib using_v4l2 using_v4l2prime using_x11 using_libbluray_external using_xrandr using_profiletype using_systemd_notify using_systemd_journal using_drm using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_freetype2 using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_egl using_drm using_vaapi using_nvdec using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg using_libass using_libxml2

Mutters inaudibly
some where some how it all just works
Sorry for the noise and thanks Mark. For me the ‘mee too’ message really gave confidence to get it working
James
Re: dvd subtitles ignored [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 at 10:01, James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:

> Mutters inaudibly
> some where some how it all just works
> Sorry for the noise and thanks Mark. For me the ‘mee too’ message really gave confidence to get it working
> James

Glad (and relieved) it works:)

Regards
Mark