log file on pastebin

https://pastebin.com/5CLrHP5D

Jim A
Re: 2 recordings failed at the same time [ In reply to ]
> On Oct 25, 2020, at 9:18 PM, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I rarely have any issues with my production mythtv backend v31 on Ubuntu 20.04. However this evening I tried to watch a recording that had just started recording about 20 minutes earlier. The title changed to a smaller text font and when I tried to select it to view I got an error about the recording not ready to view. I had this issue with both recordings that were started at 7PM. Since I had a number of recordings that were to start at 8pm. I just rebooted and hoped that would fix things for the new recordings coming up. So the 7pm recordings are lost, but I exported the backend log around the time I had the problem to see if anyone can spot a problem that needs to be fixed on my system or in general. I'm running:
>
> v31.0+fixes.202010122044.eb3c84de5f~ubuntu20.04.1
>
> My tuner is a Hauppauge WinTV quadHD PCIe card.
>
> log file on pastebin
>
> https://pastebin.com/5CLrHP5D <https://pastebin.com/5CLrHP5D>

I see a lot of permission denied errors in the log, might be a hint there.

Regards!
Re: 2 recordings failed at the same time [ In reply to ]
On 10/25/20 9:27 PM, Jay Harbeston wrote:

>> On Oct 25, 2020, at 9:18 PM, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com
>> <mailto:jfabernathy@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> I rarely have any issues with my production mythtv backend v31 on
>> Ubuntu 20.04. However this evening I tried to watch a recording that
>> had just started recording about 20 minutes earlier. The title
>> changed to a smaller text font and when I tried to select it to view
>> I got an error about?the recording not ready to view.? I had this
>> issue with both recordings that were started at 7PM. Since I had a
>> number of recordings that were to start at 8pm. I just rebooted and
>> hoped that would fix things for the new recordings coming up. So the
>> 7pm recordings are lost, but I exported the backend log around the
>> time I had the problem to see if anyone can spot a problem that needs
>> to be fixed on my system or in general. I'm running:
>>
>> v31.0+fixes.202010122044.eb3c84de5f~ubuntu20.04.1
>>
>> My tuner is a Hauppauge WinTV quadHD PCIe card.
>>
>> log file on pastebin
>>
>> https://pastebin.com/5CLrHP5D
>
> I see a lot of permission denied errors in the log, might be a hint there.
>
> Regards!

My log file has always been sprinkled with these 2 Permission denied
errors.

/Oct 25 19:00:23 mythbuntu mythpreviewgen[57623]: mythpreviewgen[57623]:
I CoreContext platforms/mythpowerdbus.cpp:530 (AcquireLock) PowerDBus:
Failed to delay sleep,shutdown: Permission denied/
Oct 25 19:00:23 mythbuntu mythpreviewgen[57623]: mythpreviewgen[57623]:
I CoreContext platforms/mythpowerdbus.cpp:360 (DeviceAdded) PowerDBus:
Added UPower.Device '/org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/ups_hiddev0'
Oct 25 19:00:23 mythbuntu mythpreviewgen[57623]: mythpreviewgen[57623]:
I CoreContext mythpower.cpp:348 (PowerLevelChanged) Power: On AC power
Oct 25 19:00:23 mythbuntu mythpreviewgen[57623]: mythpreviewgen[57623]:
I CoreContext mythpower.cpp:131 (Init) Power: Supported actions: None
/Oct 25 19:00:23 mythbuntu mythpreviewgen[57623]: mythpreviewgen[57623]:
E CoreContext main.cpp:77 (preview_helper) Setting priority failed.//
//eno: Permission denied (13)/

However this system has recorded gigabytes of programs while these
errors continue to accumulate.

Not sure what they mean.

Yesterday I always had a couple of football games being recorded but it
wasn't until 7PM with the start of 2 new recordings that I had a problem
of nothing being written to a file.

The only thing new yesterday was frontend related. I just built a new
x86_64 frontend with an Nvidia GT1030 gfx card on Archlinux KDE Plasma.
When I built mythtv I only configured the frontend and it worked fine.
However it was v0.31-118 and my backend is on Ubuntu is
v0.31-202010122044. Both the most current v31 releases. I was using this
frontend to view all recordings yesterday.

My backend was built about as standard as you could get from an Ubuntu
point of view, nothing weird.

It's what I've done before and has been recording fine since July when I
did the most recent complete rebuild. FWIW, I documented it here:
https://mythtvinstall.blogspot.com/2020/07/combined-mythtv-v31-media-system-and.html

I checked this morning and all my recordings since the reboot around
7:30pm last night have been fine.

Jim A
Re: 2 recordings failed at the same time [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 26 Oct 2020 06:01:56 -0400, you wrote:

>My log file has always been sprinkled with these 2 Permission denied
>errors.
>
>/Oct 25 19:00:23 mythbuntu mythpreviewgen[57623]: mythpreviewgen[57623]:
>I CoreContext platforms/mythpowerdbus.cpp:530 (AcquireLock) PowerDBus:
>Failed to delay sleep,shutdown: Permission denied/
>Oct 25 19:00:23 mythbuntu mythpreviewgen[57623]: mythpreviewgen[57623]:
>I CoreContext platforms/mythpowerdbus.cpp:360 (DeviceAdded) PowerDBus:
>Added UPower.Device '/org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/ups_hiddev0'
>Oct 25 19:00:23 mythbuntu mythpreviewgen[57623]: mythpreviewgen[57623]:
>I CoreContext mythpower.cpp:348 (PowerLevelChanged) Power: On AC power
>Oct 25 19:00:23 mythbuntu mythpreviewgen[57623]: mythpreviewgen[57623]:
>I CoreContext mythpower.cpp:131 (Init) Power: Supported actions: None
>/Oct 25 19:00:23 mythbuntu mythpreviewgen[57623]: mythpreviewgen[57623]:
>E CoreContext main.cpp:77 (preview_helper) Setting priority failed.//
>//eno: Permission denied (13)/
>
>However this system has recorded gigabytes of programs while these
>errors continue to accumulate.
>
>Not sure what they mean.
>
>Yesterday I always had a couple of football games being recorded but it
>wasn't until 7PM with the start of 2 new recordings that I had a problem
>of nothing being written to a file.
>
>The only thing new yesterday was frontend related. I just built a new
>x86_64 frontend with an Nvidia GT1030 gfx card on Archlinux KDE Plasma.
>When I built mythtv I only configured the frontend and it worked fine.
>However it was v0.31-118 and my backend is on Ubuntu is
>v0.31-202010122044. Both the most current v31 releases. I was using this
>frontend to view all recordings yesterday.
>
>My backend was built about as standard as you could get from an Ubuntu
>point of view, nothing weird.
>
>It's what I've done before and has been recording fine since July when I
>did the most recent complete rebuild. FWIW, I documented it here:
>https://mythtvinstall.blogspot.com/2020/07/combined-mythtv-v31-media-system-and.html
>
>I checked this morning and all my recordings since the reboot around
>7:30pm last night have been fine.
>
>Jim A

I do not think those permissions messages are a real problem. My
reading of them is that you are probably running mythbackend as
non-root user, so it does not have the right permissions to send power
control commands or to set program priorities. So I think those are
red herrings.

Using a slightly older version of mythfrontend should not be any
problem - all the protocols used to talk between MythTV programs are
only supposed to be changed with a major version, and they all have
protocol version information anyway.

There is not much detail in the log about the recording process, so it
is very difficult to tell what happened. I would recommend adding the
"-v record" option to the mythbackend command line to get it to log
about the recording process in future.
Re: 2 recordings failed at the same time [ In reply to ]
On 10/26/20 6:41 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:

> I do not think those permissions messages are a real problem. My
> reading of them is that you are probably running mythbackend as
> non-root user, so it does not have the right permissions to send power
> control commands or to set program priorities. So I think those are
> red herrings.
>
> Using a slightly older version of mythfrontend should not be any
> problem - all the protocols used to talk between MythTV programs are
> only supposed to be changed with a major version, and they all have
> protocol version information anyway.
>
> There is not much detail in the log about the recording process, so it
> is very difficult to tell what happened. I would recommend adding the
> "-v record" option to the mythbackend command line to get it to log
> about the recording process in future.

Stephen,

My backend is started on boot by systemd and mythtv-backend.service
contains in part:

[Service]
User=mythtv
EnvironmentFile=-/etc/mythtv/additional.args
ExecStart=/usr/bin/mythbackend --quiet --syslog local7 $ADDITIONAL_ARGS
StartLimitBurst=10
StartLimitInterval=10m
Restart=on-failure
RestartSec=1

So would I replace the "--quiet" with "-v record"??

Jim A

Re: 2 recordings failed at the same time [ In reply to ]
> [...]
>> 7:30pm last night have been fine.
>>
>> Jim A
>
> I do not think those permissions messages are a real problem. My
> reading of them is that you are probably running mythbackend as
> non-root user, so it does not have the right permissions to send power
> control commands or to set program priorities. So I think those are
> red herrings.
>
> Using a slightly older version of mythfrontend should not be any
> problem - all the protocols used to talk between MythTV programs are
> only supposed to be changed with a major version, and they all have
> protocol version information anyway.
>
> There is not much detail in the log about the recording process, so it
> is very difficult to tell what happened. I would recommend adding the
> "-v record" option to the mythbackend command line to get it to log

This was the weekend when clocks in the UK were put back by an hour.
Could somthing similar be responsible for this failure?

Re: 2 recordings failed at the same time [ In reply to ]
On 10/26/20 6:57 AM, John Pilkington wrote:
> [...]
>> reading of them is that you are probably running mythbackend as
>> non-root user, so it does not have the right permissions to send power
>> control commands or to set program priorities.  So I think those are
>> red herrings.
>>
>> Using a slightly older version of mythfrontend should not be any
>> problem - all the protocols used to talk between MythTV programs are
>> only supposed to be changed with a major version, and they all have
>> protocol version information anyway.
>>
>> There is not much detail in the log about the recording process, so it
>> is very difficult to tell what happened.  I would recommend adding the
>> "-v record" option to the mythbackend command line to get it to log
>> about the recording process in future.
>
> This was the weekend when clocks in the UK were put back by an hour.
> Could somthing similar be responsible for this failure?

We are still on Daylight Saving time in the USA, so probably not the
cause of this issue.

Jim A

Re: 2 recordings failed at the same time [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 26 Oct 2020 06:56:09 -0400, you wrote:

>On 10/26/20 6:41 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>>
>> I do not think those permissions messages are a real problem. My
>> reading of them is that you are probably running mythbackend as
>> non-root user, so it does not have the right permissions to send power
>> control commands or to set program priorities. So I think those are
>> red herrings.
>>
>> Using a slightly older version of mythfrontend should not be any
>> problem - all the protocols used to talk between MythTV programs are
>> only supposed to be changed with a major version, and they all have
>> protocol version information anyway.
>>
>> There is not much detail in the log about the recording process, so it
>> is very difficult to tell what happened. I would recommend adding the
>> "-v record" option to the mythbackend command line to get it to log
>> about the recording process in future.
>
>Stephen,
>
>My backend is started on boot by systemd and mythtv-backend.service
>contains in part:
>
>[Service]
>User=mythtv
>EnvironmentFile=-/etc/mythtv/additional.args
>ExecStart=/usr/bin/mythbackend --quiet --syslog local7 $ADDITIONAL_ARGS
>StartLimitBurst=10
>StartLimitInterval=10m
>Restart=on-failure
>RestartSec=1
>
>So would I replace the "--quiet" with "-v record"??
>
>Jim A

No. That is set up the Ubuntu way, so command line arguments get put
in the /etc/mythtv/additional.args file so you do not need to mess
around with systemd. So your /etc/mythtv/additional.args file should
look like:

ADDITIONAL_ARGS=-v record

plus any other command line arguments that are already in that file.
The systemd "EnvironmentFile=" line tells systemd to read that file as
a set of environment variables. The - after the = tells systemd that
it is OK (not an error) if the file does not exist. The
$ADDITIONAL_ARGS on the end of the ExecStart line tells systemd that
the contents of the environment variable ADDITIONAL_ARGS is to be
substituted there, as in bash scripts.

The /etc/mythtv/additional.args file should have decent ownership and
permissions. I have mine as chown mythtv:mythtv and chmod ug=rw,o=r.

Once you have that set up, at a convenient time you can restart
mythbackend to have it run with the new command line settings:

sudo systemctl restart mythtv-backend

In the mean time you can tell the running copy of mythtbackend to add
the -v record option immediately:

mythbackend --setverbose record

Do not mistype commands like that one or you will wind up with a
second copy of mythbackend running in the background as it did not
find an option on the command line to tell it to just send a message
to the running copy and then shut down. If that happens, use "ps -ef
| grep mythbackend" to find the PID of the second copy and kill it
with "sudo kill <pid>" (twice if necessary). You know which copy is
which by its command line options.

In your mythtv-backend.service settings, there is "User=mythtv" which
confirms my suspicion that you are running mythbackend as a non-root
user, which is the normal way it is run.
Re: 2 recordings failed at the same time [ In reply to ]
On 10/26/20 8:11 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> [...]
> mythbackend to have it run with the new command line settings:
>
> sudo systemctl restart mythtv-backend
>
> In the mean time you can tell the running copy of mythtbackend to add
> the -v record option immediately:
>
> mythbackend --setverbose record
>
> Do not mistype commands like that one or you will wind up with a
> second copy of mythbackend running in the background as it did not
> find an option on the command line to tell it to just send a message
> to the running copy and then shut down. If that happens, use "ps -ef
> | grep mythbackend" to find the PID of the second copy and kill it
> with "sudo kill <pid>" (twice if necessary). You know which copy is
> which by its command line options.
>
> In your mythtv-backend.service settings, there is "User=mythtv" which
> confirms my suspicion that you are running mythbackend as a non-root
> user, which is the normal way it is run.

Thanks, Stephen. Great explanation. Changes made, so if I have issues
again, we'll have more data.

Jim A