Mailing List Archive

New intel-graphics-based frontend wont switch frame rates
I've just started using an intel-graphics-based frontend. Generally all
has gone well. Mostly it works perfectly, but I can't get it to adjust
frame rate. My memory of how to set it up is hazy. I looked in

Appearance => Separate Modes for GUI and Video Playback

That dialog is behaving strangely. At first it was offering me a choice
of 3 modes (640x480, 720x576 and one other I've forgotten). By resetting
mythfrontend a few times, I got it to offer 1920x1080, but then with no
other choices (not that I want them, but I know the TV offers more). The
field "Rate" is also variable. It's usually greyed out, sometimes fixed
on Auto, sometimes on 0. It did offer me a choice once between Auto and
50Hz, but never 60 or 24.

I'm hoping I've just missed installing a package. I do have libxrandr
installed, but perhaps myth controls intel using something else.

Overall this tiny, silent Mini PC looks like it's going to be vastly
better than my old ION frontend, but I don't think I'm going to be able
to put up with the rough motion that I get without frame-rate switching.
Re: New intel-graphics-based frontend wont switch frame rates [ In reply to ]
Paul

Can you post the output from 'mythfrontend -v playback' ? It should at
least show what modes the code thinks are available (and maybe compare
that with the output of xrandr?)

Thanks and regards
Mark

Re: New intel-graphics-based frontend wont switch frame rates [ In reply to ]
Thanks Mark. I had libxrandr installed but not the command. Now I can
run the command, I can see that I have an X setup that is broken in some
way. Here's what xrandr says:

Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 32767 x 32767
DP1 disconnected primary (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI1 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
1100mm x 620mm
1920x1080i 50.00
720x576 50.00
720x480 60.00 59.94
640x480 60.00 59.94
HDMI2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
VIRTUAL1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
1920x1080 (0x48) 148.500MHz +HSync +VSync
h: width 1920 start 2448 end 2492 total 2640 skew 0 clock
56.25KHz
v: height 1080 start 1084 end 1089 total 1125 clock
50.00Hz

I know my TV has several more modes than that, and my AVReceiver reports
many more modes even when the TV is off, plus I have a saved EDID file
that X is supposed to be loading. The logs suggest it is loading.

I'm not altogether surprised I have X problems. I'm using my old Nvidia
config, just with the Driver setting edited from "nvidia" to "intel",
plus alterations to the EDID loading to mention a different output
(under nvidia I seemed to be using an output called something like
DPF-1, whereas not it seems to be HDMI1).

I'd try to reinitialise the X config, but I'm not sure how for intel.
For nvidia there was a supplied script.

Re: New intel-graphics-based frontend wont switch frame rates [ In reply to ]
On 24/10/2020 13:32, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> Thanks Mark. I had libxrandr installed but not the command. Now I can
> run the command, I can see that I have an X setup that is broken in some
> way. Here's what xrandr says:
>
> Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 32767 x 32767
> DP1 disconnected primary (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> HDMI1 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> 1100mm x 620mm
>    1920x1080i    50.00
>    720x576       50.00
>    720x480       60.00    59.94
>    640x480       60.00    59.94
> HDMI2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> VIRTUAL1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
>   1920x1080 (0x48) 148.500MHz +HSync +VSync
>         h: width  1920 start 2448 end 2492 total 2640 skew    0 clock
> 56.25KHz
>         v: height 1080 start 1084 end 1089 total 1125           clock
> 50.00Hz
>
> I know my TV has several more modes than that, and my AVReceiver reports
> many more modes even when the TV is off, plus I have a saved EDID file
> that X is supposed to be loading. The logs suggest it is loading.
>
> I'm not altogether surprised I have X problems. I'm using my old Nvidia
> config, just with the Driver setting edited from "nvidia" to "intel",
> plus alterations to the EDID loading to mention a different output
> (under nvidia I seemed to be using an output called something like
> DPF-1, whereas not it seems to be HDMI1).
>
> I'd try to reinitialise the X config, but I'm not sure how for intel.
> For nvidia there was a supplied script.

Fixed! I read that Intel is pretty much plug and play, so deleted my
nvidia-generated X config and went with what gets installed by default.
It now works just fine.

I may need to sort out again how to explicitly load EDID, so as to get
it to boot cleanly without the AV Receiver turned on, but this setup
will do for now.

Thanks for the help.
Re: New intel-graphics-based frontend wont switch frame rates [ In reply to ]

> I may need to sort out again how to explicitly load EDID, so as to get
> it to boot cleanly without the AV Receiver turned on, but this setup
> will do for now.

Here's how I force the EDID :

First grab the edid tools

sudo apt-get install read-edid

Next grab the edid file copy it somewhere in /lib/firmware - I created a
directory there named "edid" so I wouldn't forget later.

sudo get-edid > MYEDID.bin

sudo mkdir /lib/firmware/edid

sudo cp MYEDID.bin /lib/firmware/edid

For example - on my system the file is located here:
/lib/firmware/MYEDID.bin

Next edit /etc/default/grub modifying the "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT" line
with you edid

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash
drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=edid/MYEDID.bin"

Note that drm_kms_helper has /lib/firmware on it's path so you just need
the relative path to your edid file in the /lib/firmware directory

run "sudo update-grub", reboot, and you're done.
Re: New intel-graphics-based frontend wont switch frame rates [ In reply to ]
On 24/10/2020 14:30, John Hoyt wrote:
> I may need to sort out again how to explicitly load EDID, so as to get
> it to boot cleanly without the AV Receiver turned on, but this setup
> will do for now.
>

> Here's how I force the EDID :
>
> First grab the edid tools
>
> sudo apt-get install read-edid
>

> Next grab the edid file copy it somewhere in /lib/firmware - I created a
> directory there named "edid" so I wouldn't forget later.
>
> sudo get-edid > MYEDID.bin
>
> sudo mkdir /lib/firmware/edid
>
> sudo cp MYEDID.bin /lib/firmware/edid
>

> For example - on my system the file is located here:
> /lib/firmware/MYEDID.bin
>
> Next edit /etc/default/grub modifying the "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT"
> line with you edid
>
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash
> drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=edid/MYEDID.bin"
>

> Note that drm_kms_helper has /lib/firmware on it's path so you just need
> the relative path to your edid file in the /lib/firmware directory
>
> run "sudo update-grub", reboot, and you're done.

Thanks. That looks to be a better way than the one I was using before.
Re: New intel-graphics-based frontend wont switch frame rates [ In reply to ]
On 24/10/2020 14:14, Paul Gardiner wrote> Fixed! I read that Intel is
pretty much plug and play, so deleted my
> nvidia-generated X config and went with what gets installed by default.
> It now works just fine.
>
> I may need to sort out again how to explicitly load EDID, so as to get
> it to boot cleanly without the AV Receiver turned on, but this setup
> will do for now.
>
> Thanks for the help.

I spoke too soon. Using the default X config has been an improvement, in
that it now often boots correctly, but still it fails at times,
seemingly not to be able to detect the modes, although xrandr does
display them. I've uploaded some logs here, including mythfrontend with
-v playback, as suggested:

http://download.glidos.net/MythLogsBadFpsSwitching/

The logs show the incomplete information, but I don't see anything there
suggesting why. I wonder if it could be a race.
Re: New intel-graphics-based frontend wont switch frame rates [ In reply to ]

Re: New intel-graphics-based frontend wont switch frame rates [ In reply to ]
On 25/10/2020 12:41, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> On 24/10/2020 14:14, Paul Gardiner wrote> Fixed! I read that Intel is
> pretty much plug and play, so deleted my
>> nvidia-generated X config and went with what gets installed by
>> default. It now works just fine.
>>
>> I may need to sort out again how to explicitly load EDID, so as to get
>> it to boot cleanly without the AV Receiver turned on, but this setup
>> will do for now.
>>
>> Thanks for the help.
>
> I spoke too soon. Using the default X config has been an improvement, in
> that it now often boots correctly, but still it fails at times,
> seemingly not to be able to detect the modes, although xrandr does
> display them. I've uploaded some logs here, including mythfrontend with
> -v playback, as suggested:
>
>     http://download.glidos.net/MythLogsBadFpsSwitching/
>
> The logs show the incomplete information, but I don't see anything there
> suggesting why. I wonder if it could be a race.

I added a 10 second sleep in .xinitrc before starting mythfrontend and
it hasn't failed to discover the modes correctly since. Not ideal, but
looks to be a reasonable workaround. Possibly 1 second will be sufficient.
Re: New intel-graphics-based frontend wont switch frame rates [ In reply to ]
On 10/25/20 5:42 AM, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> I spoke too soon. Using the default X config has been an improvement, in
> that it now often boots correctly, but still it fails at times,
> seemingly not to be able to detect the modes, although xrandr does
> display them. I've uploaded some logs here, including mythfrontend with
> -v playback, as suggested:
>
>     http://download.glidos.net/MythLogsBadFpsSwitching/
>
> The logs show the incomplete information, but I don't see anything there
> suggesting why. I wonder if it could be a race.

What worked for me is adding the EDID so Xorg could see it, something
like this:

Option "CustomEDID" "DFP-1:/etc/X11/Pioneer_VSX-1123.edid"

Re: New intel-graphics-based frontend wont switch frame rates [ In reply to ]
On 26/10/2020 22:43, Bob wrote:
> On 10/25/20 5:42 AM, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>> I spoke too soon. Using the default X config has been an improvement,
>> in that it now often boots correctly, but still it fails at times,
>> seemingly not to be able to detect the modes, although xrandr does
>> display them. I've uploaded some logs here, including mythfrontend
>> with -v playback, as suggested:
>>
>>      http://download.glidos.net/MythLogsBadFpsSwitching/
>>
>> The logs show the incomplete information, but I don't see anything
>> there suggesting why. I wonder if it could be a race.
>
> What worked for me is adding the EDID so Xorg could see it, something
> like this:
>
> Option         "CustomEDID" "DFP-1:/etc/X11/Pioneer_VSX-1123.edid"

Thanks, yes, that is what has worked for me too, in the end. The delayed
start up I tried earlier worked only if booting with the AV receiver on
- not surprisingly. Now, I'm providing custom EDID and force enabling
the monitor. I did that before with my previous, nvidia-based frontend,
but it seems the config has to be done slightly differently for intel.
This is my current xorg.conf, which seems to be working from whatever
state I boot:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
Option "Enable" "True"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "intel"
Option "CustomEDID" "HDMI1:/etc/X11/edid.bin
Option "monitor-HDMI1" "Monitor0"
EndSection

I also tried to do that via KMS, with additions to the boot config, as
John Hoyt suggested, but I couldn't get it to work. I don't know why.

One strangeness: I now see only 24, 50, 60 listed whereas, without the X
config I was seeing additionally 23.98 and 59.94. From what I read, that
difference should be irrelevant to performance because it's almost
certain that my TV lists 24 and 60 just as aliases for 23.98 and 59.94.
Still, I wonder why the listing changed.
Re: New intel-graphics-based frontend wont switch frame rates [ In reply to ]
On 27/10/2020 09:13, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> On 26/10/2020 22:43, Bob wrote:
>> On 10/25/20 5:42 AM, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>>> I spoke too soon. Using the default X config has been an improvement,
>>> in that it now often boots correctly, but still it fails at times,
>>> seemingly not to be able to detect the modes, although xrandr does
>>> display them. I've uploaded some logs here, including mythfrontend
>>> with -v playback, as suggested:
>>>
>>>      http://download.glidos.net/MythLogsBadFpsSwitching/
>>>
>>> The logs show the incomplete information, but I don't see anything
>>> there suggesting why. I wonder if it could be a race.
>>
>> What worked for me is adding the EDID so Xorg could see it, something
>> like this:
>>
>> Option         "CustomEDID" "DFP-1:/etc/X11/Pioneer_VSX-1123.edid"
>
> Thanks, yes, that is what has worked for me too, in the end. The delayed
> start up I tried earlier worked only if booting with the AV receiver on
> - not surprisingly. Now, I'm providing custom EDID and force enabling
> the monitor. I did that before with my previous, nvidia-based frontend,
> but it seems the config has to be done slightly differently for intel.
> This is my current xorg.conf, which seems to be working from whatever
> state I boot:
>

> Section "Monitor"
>     Identifier     "Monitor0"
>     Option         "Enable" "True"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier     "Device0"
>     Driver         "intel"
>     Option         "CustomEDID" "HDMI1:/etc/X11/edid.bin
>     Option         "monitor-HDMI1" "Monitor0"
> EndSection
>

> I also tried to do that via KMS, with additions to the boot config, as
> John Hoyt suggested, but I couldn't get it to work. I don't know why.
>
> One strangeness: I now see only 24, 50, 60 listed whereas, without the X
> config I was seeing additionally 23.98 and 59.94. From what I read, that
> difference should be irrelevant to performance because it's almost
> certain that my TV lists 24 and 60 just as aliases for 23.98 and 59.94.
> Still, I wonder why the listing changed.

And yet again, I spoke to soon. It is still rarely booting to a useable
state with the AV Received turned off. I think I'll start a new thread
given the original problem is now solved.