cannot find it. What should I do?
Thanks,
Mary
Re: Can't enable plugin - MythMusic [ In reply to ]

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Ubuntu
Re: Can't enable plugin - MythMusic [ In reply to ]
hi,
yes, I believe I did. The document points to "mythplugins," which I did
install. The package "mythmusic" is also showing as installed, I believe
because "mythplugins" is a metapackage which installed it. But there seems
to be something more I need to do?

Re: Can't enable plugin - MythMusic [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 3:38 PM Mary Strimel <mary.strimel@gmail.com> wrote:

> hi,
> yes, I believe I did. The document points to "mythplugins," which I did
> install. The package "mythmusic" is also showing as installed, I believe
> because "mythplugins" is a metapackage which installed it. But there seems
> to be something more I need to do?
>
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 3:34 PM Daryl McDonald <darylangela@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 1:33 PM Mary Strimel <mary.strimel@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> hi,
>>> I installed mythtv from the available packages for my Linux Mint
>>> distribution. I am running version 31 of myth.
>>> After getting it working I installed the "mythplugins" package from my
>>> distribution. It includes Mythmusic, which is what I want.
>>> I restarted the backend and looked in both the back and frontends for
>>> settings. There is no sign that Mythmusic is enabled. Under Settings -->
>>> Media Settings it only has an option for "Video," no mention of music. I
>>> did create a storage group that points to my music files, but I did that on
>>> my own, there didn't seem to be a proper way to link it to Mythmusic. I
>>> checked the menu where I watch videos, and there is no option for music.
>>>
>>> I'm sure there is something basic I am missing. I combed the docs but
>>> cannot find it. What should I do?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Mary
>>>
>>> I think you want to install "plugins" see:
>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Ubuntu

IIRC next you need to set paths to your music files in BE setup>storage
groups, also please do not top post.
(after clicking "reply" click the three dots, bottom right, to be able to
scroll below existing text)
Re: Can't enable plugin - MythMusic [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 3:48 PM Daryl McDonald <darylangela@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 3:38 PM Mary Strimel
>

>> On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 3:34 PM Daryl McDonald <darylangela@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Ubuntu
>>>

> IIRC next you need to set paths to your music files in BE setup>storage
> groups, also please do not top post.
> (after clicking "reply" click the three dots, bottom right, to be able to
> scroll below existing text)

Thank you for the info. I did, in fact, install mythplugins and set a
storage group that points to my music collection and called it “music”,
however there are still no menu options to play it or work with it. The
plug-in seems definitely not enabled.
Other suggestions?

Re: Can't enable plugin - MythMusic [ In reply to ]
On 19/10/2020 21:15, Mary Strimel wrote:

> IIRC next you need to set paths to your music files in BE
> setup>storage groups, also please do not top post.
> (after clicking "reply" click the three dots, bottom right, to be
> able to scroll below existing text)
>

> Thank you for the info. I did, in fact, install mythplugins and set a
> storage group that points to my music collection and called it
> “music”, however there are still no menu options to play it or work
> with it. The plug-in seems definitely not enabled.
> Other suggestions?

If the MythMusic plugin is installed and is loading OK then the menu
entries for it will just appear automatically. No other config is needed
other than making sure the Music storage group is set up, but even if it
is not MythMusic will still show in the menus but will warn you to setup
the storage groups before it will run properly.

Do you have a  libmythmusic.so file under /usr/lib/mythtv/plugins/?

Are there any errors in the frontend log?

Usually if there are errors in the FE log it means either there is a
version mismatch or a library the plugin depends on is missing (the
Ubuntu packages should have already installed them automatically though).

Paul H.
Re: Can't enable plugin - MythMusic [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 5:10 PM Paul Harrison <mythtv@mythqml.net> wrote:

> On 19/10/2020 21:15, Mary Strimel wrote:
>

> IIRC next you need to set paths to your music files in BE setup>storage
>> groups, also please do not top post.
>> (after clicking "reply" click the three dots, bottom right, to be able to
>> scroll below existing text)
>>

> Thank you for the info. I did, in fact, install mythplugins and set a
> storage group that points to my music collection and called it “music”,
> however there are still no menu options to play it or work with it. The
> plug-in seems definitely not enabled.
> Other suggestions?
>

> If the MythMusic plugin is installed and is loading OK then the menu
> entries for it will just appear automatically. No other config is needed
> other than making sure the Music storage group is set up, but even if it is
> not MythMusic will still show in the menus but will warn you to setup the
> storage groups before it will run properly.

That's what I recall as well, from the last time I did this in 2009 or so.

> Do you have a libmythmusic.so file under /usr/lib/mythtv/plugins/?

Yes, it's there.

> Are there any errors in the frontend log?

I pasted the error below. When I ran the frontend for the first time after
installing mythplugins, it gave me a warning that it was upgrading the
database schema. I clicked through the warning ... was that the wrong
move? I can attach a copy of the warning if that's allowed / needed.
Here's the messages:

mary@mythbox:/var/log/mythtv$ less mythfrontend.log | grep music
Oct 19 11:57:15 mythbox mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[146484]: N
CoreContext dbcheck.cpp:271 (doUpgradeMusicDatabaseSchema) Updating music
metadata to be UTF-8 in the database
Oct 19 11:57:15 mythbox mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[146484]: N
CoreContext dbcheck.cpp:328 (doUpgradeMusicDatabaseSchema) Done updating
music metadata to UTF-8
Oct 19 11:57:30 mythbox mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[146484]: N
CoreContext dbcheck.cpp:633 (doUpgradeMusicDatabaseSchema) Updating
music_albumart image types
Oct 19 11:57:47 mythbox mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[146484]: E
CoreContext dbcheck.cpp:55 (performActualUpdate) DB Error (Performing
database upgrade): #012Query was: ALTER TABLE music_albumart DEFAULT
CHARACTER SET default, MODIFY filename varchar(255) CHARACTER SET utf8 NOT
NULL default ''; #012Error was: Driver error was [2/1064]:#012QMYSQL:
Unable to execute query#012Database error was:#012You have an error in your
SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version
for the right syntax to use near 'default, MODIFY filename varchar(255)
CHARACTER SET utf8 NOT NULL default ''' at line 1#012 #012new version: 1016
Oct 19 11:57:47 mythbox mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[146484]: E
CoreContext main.cpp:888 (mythplugin_init) Couldn't upgrade music database
schema, exiting.
Oct 19 11:57:47 mythbox mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[146484]: E
CoreContext mythplugin.cpp:142 (init_plugin) Unable to initialize plugin
'mythmusic'.
Oct 19 13:14:42 mythbox mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[149986]: E

Re: Can't enable plugin - MythMusic [ In reply to ]
On 10/19/20 4:29 PM, Mary Strimel wrote:
> You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'default,
>  MODIFY filename varchar(255) CHARACTER SET utf8 NOT NULL default ''' at line 1#012 #012new version: 1016

Sounds like an old version. mythfrontend --version will tell you
what you're running on (unless the distribution changes it.)

The fix for that error was released July 16th 2020.

commit 167c8d56 Plugins/dbcheck: Replace CHARACTER SET 'default' with 'utf8'

--
Bill
Re: Can't enable plugin - MythMusic [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 5:42 PM Bill Meek <keemllib@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/19/20 4:29 PM, Mary Strimel wrote:
> > You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds
> to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'default,
> > MODIFY filename varchar(255) CHARACTER SET utf8 NOT NULL default ''' at
> line 1#012 #012new version: 1016
>
> Sounds like an old version. mythfrontend --version will tell you
> what you're running on (unless the distribution changes it.)

Thank you - here is the info for my version:
mary@mythbox:/var/log/mythtv$ mythfrontend --version
MythTV Version : v31.0-v31.0
MythTV Branch : fixes/31
Network Protocol : 91
Library API : 31.20200101-1
QT Version : 5.12.5
Options compiled in:
linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_pulse
using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python
using_bindings_php using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun
using_vbox using_ceton using_hdpvr using_ivtv using_joystick_menu
using_libcec using_libcrypto using_libdns_sd using_libfftw3 using_libxml2
using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl using_egl using_qtwebkit using_qtscript
using_qtdbus using_taglib using_v4l2 using_x11 using_libbluray_external
using_xrandr using_profiletype using_systemd_notify using_systemd_journal
using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php
using_freetype2 using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_egl using_vaapi
using_nvdec using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg using_libass
using_libxml2 using_libmp3lame

> The fix for that error was released July 16th 2020.

Given that I already have version 31, how do I get the post-July 16
version? Must I compile from source? If so, I might need to scrap this
plugin. My remote frontend is running on an android TV and I have never
compiled anything for that platform before, not sure I want to try.

Re: Can't enable plugin - MythMusic [ In reply to ]
On 10/19/20 5:03 PM, Mary Strimel wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 5:42 PM Bill Meek <keemllib@gmail.com <mailto:keemllib@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> On 10/19/20 4:29 PM, Mary Strimel wrote:
> > You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near
> 'default,
> >  MODIFY filename varchar(255) CHARACTER SET utf8 NOT NULL default ''' at line 1#012 #012new version: 1016
>
> Sounds like an old version. mythfrontend --version will tell you
> what you're running on (unless the distribution changes it.)
>

> Thank you - here is the info for my version:
> mary@mythbox:/var/log/mythtv$ mythfrontend --version
> Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
> MythTV Version : v31.0-v31.0
> MythTV Branch : fixes/31
> Network Protocol : 91
> Library API : 31.20200101-1
> QT Version : 5.12.5
>
> The fix for that error was released July 16th 2020.
> commit 167c8d56 Plugins/dbcheck: Replace CHARACTER SET 'default' with 'utf8'
>

> Given that I already have version 31, how do I get the post-July 16 version? Must I compile from source?  If so, I might need to scrap this
> plugin. My remote frontend is running on an android TV and I have never compiled anything for that platform before, not sure I want to try.

If you were a 'buntu user, then I'd do this:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/31
sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade

I don't speak Mint, but a search for: linux mint ppa returned this

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2942171/how-to-use-ppas-to-install-bleeding-edge-software-in-ubuntu-and-linux-mint.html

If that works, you don't need to build from source.

--
Bill
Re: Can't enable plugin - MythMusic [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 6:24 PM Bill Meek <keemllib@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/19/20 5:03 PM, Mary Strimel wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 5:42 PM Bill Meek <keemllib@gmail.com <mailto:
> keemllib@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > On 10/19/20 4:29 PM, Mary Strimel wrote:
> > > You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that
> corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near
> > 'default,
> > > MODIFY filename varchar(255) CHARACTER SET utf8 NOT NULL default
> ''' at line 1#012 #012new version: 1016
> >
> > Sounds like an old version. mythfrontend --version will tell you
> > what you're running on (unless the distribution changes it.)
> >

> > Thank you - here is the info for my version:
> > mary@mythbox:/var/log/mythtv$ mythfrontend --version
> > Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
> > MythTV Version : v31.0-v31.0
> > MythTV Branch : fixes/31
> > Network Protocol : 91
> > Library API : 31.20200101-1
> > QT Version : 5.12.5
> >
> > The fix for that error was released July 16th 2020.
> > commit 167c8d56 Plugins/dbcheck: Replace CHARACTER SET 'default'
> with 'utf8'
> >

> > Given that I already have version 31, how do I get the post-July 16
> version? Must I compile from source? If so, I might need to scrap this
> > plugin. My remote frontend is running on an android TV and I have never
> compiled anything for that platform before, not sure I want to try.
>
> If you were a 'buntu user, then I'd do this:
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/31
> sudo apt update
> sudo apt dist-upgrade
>
> I don't speak Mint, but a search for: linux mint ppa returned this
>

> https://www.pcworld.com/article/2942171/how-to-use-ppas-to-install-bleeding-edge-software-in-ubuntu-and-linux-mint.html
>
> If that works, you don't need to build from source.

Thank you - yes, I enabled the PPA that you suggested from my "Software
Sources" and installed the recommended version of myth, then restarted
mythbackend. The database upgraded properly for mythmusic and now the
plugins appear properly on my local frontend. Yay!

BUT I still need help to get them showing up on my remote frontend on the
android TV. To install myth on the TV, I followed the excellent
instructions here <https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Android> and I downloaded an
apk file from here
<https://dl.bintray.com/bennettpeter/generic/mythtv_31/android_32/>.
Unfortunately I had to use the older of the 2 files (31.0.51) because the
later file gave me an error -- basically adb did not recognize it as a
proper apk, although the other one worked fine. It runs, it just doesn't
see the plugins.

Is there any other way to get the 31.0.51 frontend to see these plugins?

Re: Can't enable plugin - MythMusic [ In reply to ]
Check out MPD.

Dave D.

Re: Can't enable plugin - MythMusic [ In reply to ]
On 19 October 2020 21:15:40 BST, Mary Strimel <mary.strimel@gmail.com> wrote:
>Thank you for the info. I did, in fact, install mythplugins and set a
>storage group that points to my music collection and called it “music”,
>however there are still no menu options to play it or work with it. The
>plug-in seems definitely not enabled.
>Other suggestions?

Unlikely to help, but perhaps worth a go, you could try updating your theme or use a different theme. Using an old theme can certainly stop "images" working, perhaps "music" also.
Re: Can't enable plugin - MythMusic [ In reply to ]
On 10/19/20 8:34 PM, Mary Strimel wrote:
> BUT I still need help to get them showing up on my remote frontend on
> the android TV.  To install myth on the TV, I followed the excellent
> instructions here <https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Android> and I
> downloaded an apk file from here
> <https://dl.bintray.com/bennettpeter/generic/mythtv_31/android_32/>.
> Unfortunately I had to use the older of the 2 files (31.0.51) because
> the later file gave me an error -- basically adb did not recognize it
> as a proper apk, although the other one worked fine.  It runs, it just
> doesn't see the plugins.

The android apk for mythfrontend on bintray does not include the plugins.

Peter