Mailing List Archive

Remote frontend connection problems
hi,
I have freshly installed mythtv system on my Linux Mint PC. I installed the
available packages from my distro, myth version 31.

The local frontend works fine. However, the frontend that I installed on my
Android TV -- also version 31 -- is unable to connect. At first it saw the
database and was unable to connect to it. After trying some of the fixes I
read about online, now it doesn't see the database at all.

Here are the things I've tried:
1. went to mythbackend-setup and set the IP address to my real address
instead of 127.0.0.1
2. verified that the PIN for remote logon is set to 0000
3. verified that the mysql password on the Android is the same as the one
found in /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml
4. Attempted to tell sql to allow the remote connection.
A. At first I used the command
"grant all on mythconverg.* to 'mythtv'@'%' identified by 'mypassword';"

then I got an error because apparently that command is now deprecated.

B. So I tried GRANT ALL ON mythconverg.* TO mythtv@localhost IDENTIFIED BY
"mythtv" PASSWORD "mypassword" which did not report an error, but also
didn't give any feedback. In fact it made the mysql prompt look funny, so
I'm assuming it was unhelpful?

5. I then went to /etc/mysql/my.cnf. According to the docs I should be
commenting out a particular line regarding networking. However, my file
didn't have those lines. It did not have sections either, like other
peoples' seem to have. It just had two lines that start with "!includedir".
I didn't change anything there.

6. As a last resort I went to /etc/mysql/conf.d/mythtv.cnf and changed the
first line to "bind-address=192.168.1.253" [my IP]. I think this last step
might have been wrong.

What else do I need to do to connect my frontend? Should I undo things I
tried above?
Thank you!
Mary